Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,308 members, 7,853,427 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:28 PM

Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup (460 Views)

"All I Can Say Is Sorry": Rashford Apologises Over Penalty Miss Against Italy / Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game / Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by robosky02(m): 11:57am On Apr 08, 2020
Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup

Former Super Eagles technical adviser Bonfrere Jo has blamed the team’s exit at the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States of America on the erstwhile handler of the side Clemens Westerhof.

The Super Eagles agonisingly lost 2-1 to Itlay in their second round match in the competition.

The three-time African champions were a minute away from recording a famous victory against the Italians before Roberto Baggio netted the equalising goal.

Read Also: Ighalo And His Uncertain Future At Manchester United

Baggio then struck from the spot in extra time to hand victory to Arigo Sacchi’s men.

Bonfrere, who was Westerhof’s number two at that time has come out to say that the latter sold the game to Italy.

“Yes Everyone blames the coach. The coach did something wrong and we lost before the game started,”Bonfrere revealed in an interview with Brila FM.

“He sold the game for $100,000, that’s why we lost against Italy. If you don’t believe, you can ask the players.”

Lalasticlala mynd44

https://www.completesports.com/bonfrere-westerhof-sold-nigerias-game-against-italy-at-usa-world-cup/

Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by oloriooko(m): 12:00pm On Apr 08, 2020
That's evil if true angry
But was he on the field of play with the players?
The players could have done all needed to win, the only official that has massive sway on a game is the ref not necessarily the coach

robosky02:

Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup

Former Super Eagles technical adviser Bonfrere Jo has blamed the team’s exit at the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States of America on the erstwhile handler of the side Clemens Westerhof.

The Super Eagles agonisingly lost 2-1 to Itlay in their second round match in the competition.

The three-time African champions were a minute away from recording a famous victory against the Italians before Roberto Baggio netted the equalising goal.

Read Also: Ighalo And His Uncertain Future At Manchester United

Baggio then struck from the spot in extra time to hand victory to Arigo Sacchi’s men.

Bonfrere, who was Westerhof’s number two at that time has come out to say that the latter sold the game to Italy.

“Yes Everyone blames the coach. The coach did something wrong and we lost before the game started,”Bonfrere revealed in an interview with Brila FM.

“He sold the game for $100,000, that’s why we lost against Italy. If you don’t believe, you can ask the players.”

https://www.completesports.com/bonfrere-westerhof-sold-nigerias-game-against-italy-at-usa-world-cup/

Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by robosky02(m): 12:08pm On Apr 08, 2020
That was a game Nigeria controlled for 89 minutes....

Only for silly equaliser... And a win

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by espn(m): 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2020
If true then he is evil...Anything is possible though...Why did this idiot keep quiet all this while. I guess they shared the money together...Am sure NFA got part of the bribe too...
Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by Joezinho: 12:38pm On Apr 08, 2020
My papa fit cry on hearing this because he spent the whole day in self isolation after that match.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 08, 2020
If so, then he sold it with the help of the players; all of whom were Nigerians. If they could sell out their country, why should a foreigner be blamed for doing the same?
Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by robosky02(m): 1:03pm On Apr 08, 2020
Joezinho:
My papa fit cry on hearing this because he spent the whole day in self isolation after that match.

Mehn it was not easy that day ....

I was seeing quarter final s only for Baggio to do them ... I thought okocha even played better

1 Like

Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 08, 2020
Thinking...

Now, what must have pushed Bonfrere Jo into making this revelation at this point in time after all years

Could it be possible that some prophet or shaman has revealed to him that he has only a few days left to live on this Earth?

However, I hope he has a rock-solid evidence to back up his claims cos this is a really serious accusation.

It is not just about asking us to "ask the players" on the pitch on that day cos that is not gonna help him in any way should Westerhof decide to sue his ass for yawning too much.

He must provide weighty evidence and such evidence must be waterproof.

Besides, this is not a time for Westerhof to keep mum. This is a serious allegation that must not be waved away.
Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by robosky02(m): 1:36pm On Apr 08, 2020
mansakhalifa:
Thinking...

Now, what must have pushed Bonfrere Jo into making this revelation at this point in time after all years

Could it be possible that some prophet or shaman has revealed to him that he has only a few days left to live on this Earth?

However, I hope he has a rock-solid evidence to back up his claims cos this is a really serious accusation.

It is not just about asking us to "ask the players" on the pitch on that day cos that is not gonna help him in any way should Westerhof decide to sue his ass for yawning too much.

He must provide weighty evidence and such evidence must be waterproof.

Besides, this is not a time for Westerhof to keep mum. This is a serious allegation that must not be waved away.

Rumours in town

1 he has some beff with Westehof of late
2. He may be eying a return to coach Nigeria. After all he has lived here like a Nigerian, till date he goes to watch NPFL games
The conditions they are giving Genot Rohr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by Gbelex(m): 1:52pm On Apr 08, 2020
oloriooko:
That's evil if true angry
But was he on the field of play with the players?
The players could have done all needed to win, the only official that has massive sway on a game is the ref not necessarily the coach

but why is this coming out now?
Re: Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 09, 2020
robosky02:

Rumours in town

1 he has some beff with Westehof of late
2. He may be eying a return to coach Nigeria. After all he has lived here like a Nigerian, till date he goes to watch NPFL games
The conditions they are giving Genot Rohr

Should we be going back to Bonfrere at this point in time

I believe that we are way past that. Forward is the way to go. He can keep spewing like the Old Faithful geyser for all I care.

He might get his ass sued in the process too.

(1) (Reply)

Bundesliga ‘ready To Return On 9 May’, Says German Football League / How I Tried To Give Money To Stephen Keshi And Got Rejected / Messi Or Ronaldo? Klopp Picks Barcelona Star Ahead Of 'perfect' Rival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.