Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. (1395 Views)

Social Media Influencer Motara Loses Job After Mocking Girl Child Begger / Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. / I Need A Young, Dark Skinned, Wealthy Igbo man for Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by missimelda01(f): 1:30pm On Apr 08, 2020
I was motivated to share my experience with a beggar because of this topic on the front page.

https://www.nairaland.com/5780856/nigerians-begging

I'm not good in the act of story telling so bear with me. I hurried to town from school one morning to pickup my laptop from the repair shop, I proceeded to the bus park to pickup a package that was sent to me, although I had fully paid for the delivery of the package, I still had to settle the man who handed it over to me (almost a normal thing). I left the park with just my t.fare in my pocket, just when I was about entering a bus heading to school, a little girl approached me, she held my hands and starting begging for money.. I honestly would have given her if I had, she didn't want to let go of my hand, I starting begging her to leave me, I couldn't handle the embarrassment anymore so I gently pushed her away, a man who was passing by stopped and said 'give the girl money na'.. he said it so loud that I felt people staring at me like I was an evil stingy person. I felt really bad that day.

Should I have given the girl my t.fare and trek back just to let the whole world know I'm a good person? This entitlement mindset that some Nigerians have is irritating. We all have needs, don't forget that when you feel entitled to someone else's money.

P.S I think the mother of that child should be arrested, the girl wasn't even up to 10 years old.. so sad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 08, 2020
UnaToto

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by NextD18: 1:41pm On Apr 08, 2020
So what should we do now?

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by sisisioge: 1:53pm On Apr 08, 2020
grin grin grin

Them full Ketu pedestrian bridge. It is well.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by Mindlog: 1:54pm On Apr 08, 2020
There are parents who are convinced that their children can be raised through begging thus "God who gives children, will send helpers". They take no responsibility for their irresponsible behaviours and feel they are entitled to guilty trip anyone who refuse to subsidize their stupidity.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by GabrielYulaw(m): 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2020
You did nothing wrong dear. If it was me I would had shouted at the girl and made her leave me by force if need be. Our entitlement mentality is outrageous and becoming worse by the day. Go to Twitter and see account numbers dropping on every thread.

I remember back when I was going for Post-UME exam and lined up to enter a bus, a white-skinned young girl who I think was from Chad or something kneeled in front of me and started begging for money. I was shocked and quickly gave her all I could spare. I thought she was hungry, only for her to give the money to another woman and resume begging others.

Most beggars you see on the street, especially the younger ones beg to make returns to their bosses, not because they are dying of hunger and want to eat. Their job is to prey on the sympathy of strangers and get money from them. That's a sad fact of life.

The young girl pulling your hand, if you check well you will probably discover that her mom already has 6 kids and is pregnant again. If you ask the mom to stop getting pregnant she will look at you like you are crazy and should be stoned to death.

Me, I no longer give money to beggars. Unless they are very physically challenged, only then can I give. If not, they can go Bleep themselves.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by GabrielYulaw(m): 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2020
sisisioge:
grin grin grin

Them full Ketu pedestrian bridge. It is well.
And most are able bodied. Begging is for them an easier way of making money than working.
Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by 24kmagic: 1:58pm On Apr 08, 2020
Let the lies begin.
Bianca abi na wetin be her name self don go wake sleeping dog
Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by missimelda01(f): 2:04pm On Apr 08, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

Me, I no longer give money to beggars. Unless they are very physically challenged, only then can I give. If not, they can go Bleep themselves.

Even some physically challenged people still do small trades to provide for their basic needs, not to talk of people with hands and legs. We just need to apply wisdom when giving.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by GabrielYulaw(m): 2:10pm On Apr 08, 2020
missimelda01:

Even some physically challenged people still do small trades to provide for their basic needs, not to talk of people with hands and legs. We just need to apply wisdom when giving.

True. You did nothing wrong, so stop feeling guilty about the little girl. If blame should be apportioned her parents should get all of it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by missimelda01(f): 2:11pm On Apr 08, 2020
Mindlog:
There are parents who are convinced that their children can be raised through begging thus "God who gives children, will send helpers". They take no responsibility for their irresponsible behaviours and feel they are entitled to guilty trip anyone who refuse to subsidize their stupidity.

The part where they try to guilt trip you is the most annoying. My mom is single handedly raising us, never for once have I heard her accuse anyone of abandoning us.. she has taken full responsibility. That's how it should be.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by Yustash001(m): 2:50pm On Apr 08, 2020
We also have some advance beggars
I was in post office in Ilorin when this young man with a pot belly approached me, he told he's a final student of Kwara poly that I should help him, that he's hustling for the project fees....He was holding some files to deceive people

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the same man in the University campus
He thought I wouldn't recognize him....He told me he's a student of geography that he needs help....I just shook my head in pity and left

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by crackkhaus: 3:36pm On Apr 08, 2020
missimelda01:
I was motivated to share my experience with a beggar because of this topic on the front page.

I'm not good in the act of story telling so bear with me. I hurried to town from school one morning to pickup my laptop from the repair shop, I proceeded to the bus park to pickup a package that was sent to me, although I had fully paid for the delivery of the package, I still had to settle the man who handed it over to me (almost a normal thing). I left the park with just my t.fare in my pocket, just when I was about entering a bus heading to school, a little girl approached me, she held my hands and starting begging for money.. I honestly would have given her if I had, she didn't want to let go of my hand, I starting begging her to leave me, I couldn't handle the embarrassment anymore so I gently pushed her away, a man who was passing by stopped and said 'give the girl money na'.. he said it so loud that I felt people staring at me like I was an evil stingy person. I felt really bad that day.

Should I have given the girl my t.fare and trek back just to let the whole world know I'm a good person? This entitlement mindset that some Nigerians have is irritating. We all have needs, don't forget that when you feel entitled to someone else's money.

P.S I think the mother of that child should be arrested, the girl wasn't even up to 10 years old.. so sad.

Not trying to imply that there are no Nigerians with entitlement mentality, but what's the correlation of the sentence in bold to the rest of your story?

Who's the entitled person in there, the little girl?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by missimelda01(f): 3:45pm On Apr 08, 2020
crackkhaus:

Not trying to imply that there are no Nigerians with entitlement mentality, but what's the correlation of the sentence in bold to the rest of your story?

Who's the entitled person in there, the little girl?

Although the statement was a general one relating to begging, the man who said something was the problem, he made it feel like it was the girl's right to get something out of me, i won't entirely blame the child even though holding and following me wasn't proper, her mother takes most of the blame.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by crackkhaus: 3:56pm On Apr 08, 2020
missimelda01:

The man who said something was the problem, he made it feel like it was the girl's right to get something out of me. Although the statement was a general one relating to begging.
Okay you've blown me completely off track.

I assumed you were going to admit it's the girl, or maybe her mother if she had one. But the man?
He might be a jerk or certified douchebag, but having an entitlement mentality in this instance is not likely especially when he won't gain anything personally if you gave the little girl a token.

Just a suggestion...
Next time someone tries to get in your business like that..call the begger-girl back, put your arm around her shoulder, gently tell her that you're sorry for having nothing on you to spare, then point to the man and tell her to go meet him because he will give her something.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by missimelda01(f): 4:04pm On Apr 08, 2020
crackkhaus:

Okay you've blown me completely off track.

I assumed you were going to admit it's the girl, or maybe her mother if she had one. But the man?
He might be a jerk or certified douchebag, but having an entitlement mentality in this instance is not likely especially when he won't gain anything personally if you gave the little girl a token.

Just a suggestion...
Next time someone tries to get in your business like that..call the begger-girl back, put your arm around her shoulder, gently tell her that you're sorry for having nothing on you to spare, then point to the man and tell her to go meet him because he will give her something.

My comment has been modified, I was going to add somethings before my phone went off. Your suggestion is noted.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Young Roadside Begger. by Nobody: 4:55am On Apr 20, 2020
missimelda01:

It happens in New Benin a lot - those white looking kids would cross the road with you and follow you anywhere till you drop money, just don't let them see conductor giving you change...you know the rest, lol.

(1) (Reply)

Did I Do Anything Wrong ? / Please Help My Wife / Woman Bans Family From Her Funeral And Publishes Guest List In Own Obituary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.