Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,506 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. (2382 Views)

Is It True Lawyers Are Buried Faced Down And 7feet Instead Of Six, And Why? / Advice For A Recent Electrical/electronics Engineering Graduate Awaiting NYSC / How To Apply For The Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Program, TEEP 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Chigozie105(m): 7:42pm On Apr 12, 2020
I'm into car rental nd cab services and lands nd houses agents in Anambra and Enugu. Know what i make in a month from my businesses
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Gerrard59(m): 12:57am On Apr 13, 2020
Chigozie105:

True but remember no job in Nigeria unless u have connections. About 10 years ago a friend of mine started like dis (ndi oso shia) no money no shop every morning he dress up nd go to main market onitsha helping people to buy things they want from his friend's shop. the shop owner will settle him because he bring buyers for them from there he learn d business nd save up some money start his own. Now he has a shop nd goods worths 10 million inside nd finish his own build house last Christmas and planning to get a car before d lockdown. Business is really good if u have d idea most especially

First bold, not true. Is the labour market ultra-competitive? Yes. Do people get good jobs without knowing anyone influential? Yes. Can a child of a nobody get a good job in Nigeria without knowing anybody? Yes.

Second bold, we are saying the same thing. Did he start the business same time as his friend? Do we know what support system the friend had before starting his? How come your friend did not start the same business at the same time as his friend but did after saving money gotten from "working" for someone? So what are we saying? Don't start entrepreneurship on an empty stomach.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Gerrard59(m): 1:12am On Apr 13, 2020
Chigozie105:
You will ask yourself in Nigeria now how many people get a job that even pay upto 40k monthly after school. What move in Nigeria is business take it or leave it. no matter how small ur capital is, keep struggling, be consistent nd focus, non stop to it, u will see ur self getting higher. Just look at Nigeria now with dis corona lockdown business owners are contributing money to FG nd there communities. Do u think most of them start with million in d time of there beginning No. so started like (ndi osu afia) like they don't have shops or even goods but bringing buyer to those who have goods nd they will settle them from there they save up nd start his own nd be managing until his business bsoot. And some will serve someone after some years d boss will settle him, he start up his own that how we igbos do. Those private sectors u want to look for a job they are owned by a single person. Why not for u to be focus on ur own business grow it so in d nearest future u will employ people. Unless you have a connection who can give u job dat pays well but still business is still 100% better. U will be ur own boss nobody to command or threat ur work. I talk from an experience. If u have a business idea nd u think is what d society needs better develop ur idea because u aren't d one that put d idea in you but d God who created you. cool.in Nigeria now business owner build houses anyhow nd salary collectors rent them angry . 80% of igbos don't do salary work but business dat is why they are very rich because dey don't depend on monthly payments .

Now, I see. You are the kind of "entrepreneur" that starts a business so that no one would command or threaten you.

Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Nkemella: 3:08pm On Apr 13, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Start with programming. You could go into web development or app development or writing big computer applications. Whichever field you choose, research the programming languages that apply to that field but programming is really hard and not everyone is cut out for it. If it gets too hard for you and you don't think you can cope with it then go into digital marketing. Learn absolutely everything you can about digital marketing. If you are learning digital marketing combine graphics design and video editing to it. There are also other fields you could explore like data science and machine learning. Just do your research.
Please where can someone learn digital marketing? Am interested in learning it.
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:23pm On Apr 13, 2020
Nkemella:

Please where can someone learn digital marketing? Am interested in learning it.
Udemy and YouTube. Surfside ppc is a great YouTube channel without all the bullshit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Nkemella: 5:19pm On Apr 13, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Udemy and YouTube. Surfside ppc is a great YouTube channel without all the bullshit.
Thanks, but is it necessary to look for someone to teach me aside YouTube and udemy.
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2020
Nkemella:

Thanks, but is it necessary to look for someone to teach me aside YouTube and udemy.
Honestly it depends on you and your learning capabilities. Only you can answer this.
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Gcool2(m): 6:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
Interesting read
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Bluehill1051: 11:19am On Apr 16, 2020
What is OP saying sef?!
Cuz it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others.
When I graduated, I already knew the course I studied is most likely useless in Nigeria. I did some applications, went for some interviews majorly outside my scope of study like ecobank graduate trainee, e&y, heritage, nestle sales, etc
But when I decided to start my business, I haven't applied for any job since then, I now have 3 employees of which one is getting married this weekend.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:46am On Apr 16, 2020
Bluehill1051:
What is OP saying sef?!
Cuz it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others.
When I graduated, I already knew the course I studied is most likely useless in Nigeria. I did some applications, went for some interviews majorly outside my scope of study like ecobank graduate trainee, e&y, heritage, nestle sales, etc
But when I decided to start my business, I haven't applied for any job since then, I now have 3 employees of which one is getting married this weekend.
I didn't say entrepreneurship is a bad thing but a graduate who is from a very poor home with no resources and lack of mentors is would be much more successful at getting a job, working a few years and then starting his own business. There's no limit at ages to run a successful business. Jeff Bezos started Amazon in his 40s and is the richest man in the world today.

If I night ask what kind of business did you run? How did you access initial capital? How do you deal with getting and retaining customers and how much on average do your employees make a month?

1 Like

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Bluehill1051: 12:01pm On Apr 16, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I didn't say entrepreneurship is a bad thing but a graduate who is from a very poor home with no resources and lack of mentors is would be much more successful at getting a job, working a few years and then starting his own business. There's no limit at ages to run a successful business. Jeff Bezos started Amazon in his 40s and is the richest man in the world today.

If I night ask what kind of business did you run? How did you access initial capital? How do you deal with getting and retaining customers and how much on average do your employees make a month?
You don't have to start big, I personally started with my savings from NYSC, I did a lot of home tutoring for children then to have savings at the end of the program. Now I own a cloth sewing industry and the least I pay is 20K.
Normally, it won't be easy leaving your 5years in the university behind. That is why I'm saying narrowing down to your experience won't do it.
What will you say to a graduate looking for a job for over 3 years? Should he continue like that? What if he's from a poor family, imagine his frustration. Do you know most job applications comes with age limit and experience?
The fact still remains jobs are scarce now. One of my worker purposely chose Bornu for her nysc so she can redeploy back to Lagos and continue work.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
Bluehill1051:
You don't have to start big, I personally started with my savings from NYSC, I did a lot of home tutoring for children then to have savings at the end of the program. Now I own a cloth sewing industry and the least I pay is 20K.
Normally, it won't be easy leaving your 5years in the university behind. That is why I'm saying narrowing down to your experience won't do it.
What will you say to a graduate looking for a job for over 3 years? Should he continue like that? What if he's from a poor family, imagine his frustration. Do you know most job applications comes with age limit and experience?
The fact still remains jobs are scarce now. One of my worker purposely chose Bornu for her nysc so she can redeploy back to Lagos and continue work.
The least you pay is 20k. Do you think your employees survive with that? I was paying my mechanic 30k with a lot of tips after work and I wasn't satisfied at all with that as it was really really crap. I knew it wasn't enough to live on at all.

Looking for a job with no indemand skills will always lead to frustration. You practically can't do anything or offer any value to any organisation so it's always going to be hard. I suggested graduated learning an indemand skill if they can't get jobs and apply to jobs and they shouldn't only limit themselves to the Nigerian job market. Graduates it's not written in stone that you must work for a Nigerian company.

Entrepreneurship is very difficult and very difficult in Nigeria where there's a lot of poor people with low or no purchasing power and lack of rule of law.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by Ycube: 10:38am On Aug 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

There are levels to entrepreneurship and there are levels to jobs. Most entrepreneurs in Nigeria do not live better lives than those working in multinationals fact. I hate tokunbo parts as they are a big problem in the Nigerian automotive space and I couldn't find myself contributing to the problem but even then those selling it do not have it rosy now especially as purchasing power has shrinked. It's going to get much worse with the looming depression that hovers over Nigeria.
Don't sell what you want sell what the customer wants if you really want to succeed in business.
And you also said you will only cater for elites only? Let me tell you business is the game of numbers.
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by SimeonOTC(m): 8:10pm On Aug 27, 2020
Gerrard59:
Preach sir!

When I see Nlders praise entrepreneurship so much, I laugh. This is not because being an entrepreneur is bad (providing value is good and rewarding) but OP is saying that young Nigerians who do not have something to fall on should focus on solving their immediate needs first before attempting to solving societal needs. You cannot give what you do not have. How can someone with no strong support base (parental support, an existing business waiting for you to take over or some rich relatives willing to help) attempt to provide value? You would most likely eat the earnings of the business instead of re-investing because you are at the survival stage. Maslow Hierarchy of Needs tells us so. It is until you have solved your basic needs that you can then think of solving people's needs. It is another reason I get amused when folks complain that banks refuse to lend them money when they had awesome business plans (to me, plans are useless. Things change quickly). Banks are profit oriented entities and would most preferable/likely fund someone with a track record (existing business or strong support base to act as collateral), not a recent grad. This post reminds me of lad who dumped his digital marketing agency he co-founded to look for a job in an investment bank. When inquired further why he is leaving his firm (I coached him for the interview), he complained of how business was not moving well and he had difficulties solving his daily needs. As a result, he needs a job. Interestingly, this dude studied in the UK for his two degrees (Bsc Eng and MSc Engr) and I reasoned that he has a strong base and was relying on that but cannot continue to do so going forward. Yet another, this time an ex-classmate, he left his digital marketing agency to get a job as an account executive. Apparently, because he had same problems - solving his daily needs and a new business cannot solve one's needs unless the business is not expected to grow.

So OP is right. No one is saying don't become an entrepreneur but do not so on an empty stomach. You would most likely eat your revenue not even profits as the latter take time to come. Someone would ask what about in the US. What people tend to forget that is the kind of profiles these straight-out-of-school entrepreneurs have. They most likely went to Ivy Leagues, got funded based on the idea not the bottomline of the business, have a strong base to fall on, live in country where interest rates are miserably low and the VC/angel investors' market is strong (literally got founded). So you see? Getting a reasonable job does not make you a slave like some cretins say or keeps your dream away like some mor0ns opine. What it does is: it provides you a support (financially and mentally) on living your life while you plan towards starting your business. What people rarely say about entrepreneurship without investors/parental support/existing history of credit lending is that you would be eating your revenue as they come because your personal problems (rent, feeding, clothing etc) need to be solved.

chaaaiiii....

what kind of a man are you to posses such a knowledge

i read you comment thrice..and the last time, i read every single line lowly..

i am a recent graduate, though currently serving..i have over half a milli with the mindset of starting an I.T business..all plans and everything to kick off are fully on deck..just waiting to pass out..

i think, now, i have to think twice as you made lots of sense knowing fully well i may not have fall back option as the capital was from my side hustle and my parents only.
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:30pm On Aug 27, 2020
SimeonOTC:

chaaaiiii....

what kind of a man are you to posses such a knowledge

i read you comment thrice..and the last time, i read every single line lowly..

i am a recent graduate, though currently serving..i have over half a milli with the mindset of starting an I.T business..all plans and everything to kick off are fully on deck..just waiting to pass out..

i think, now, i have to think twice as you made lots of sense knowing fully well i may not have fall back option as the capital was from my side hustle and my parents only.

Use that money to buy shares in the US or change it to buy dollaars. For you to want to start an IT business, it means you have IT skills and IT skills are presently the most indemand skills in the world today. Get a job in a good IT company. Work in a structured environment, see how things are done there then you can start your own. You can build your stuff from the side while working and growing it.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by SimeonOTC(m): 8:58pm On Aug 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Use that money to buy shares in the US or change it to buy dollaars. For you to want to start an IT business, it means you have IT skills and IT skills are presently the most indemand skills in the world today. Get a job in a good IT company. Work in a structured environment, see how things are done there then you can start your own. You can build your stuff from the side while working and growing it.

thanks for this..
am currently working on it.

though my skills are graphic designing, web dev and everything that has to with desktop publishing.

they have earning me some little chizz lately as i already have a 4years experience in I.T which prompt me to starting my own business since i know the in and out of it..though i lack the business aspect and management of it.
Re: Do Not Go Into Entrepreneurship If You Are A Recent Graduate. Get A Job Instead. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:02pm On Aug 27, 2020
SimeonOTC:

thanks for this..
am currently working on it.

though my skills are graphic designing, web dev and everything that has to with desktop publishing.

they have earning me some little chizz lately as i already have a 4years experience in I.T which prompt me to starting my own business since i know the in and out of it..though i lack the business aspect and management of it.

Trust me bro writing code for yourself in your room and for customers is not the same thing as writing code that millions of people will use. There is a standard to code writing at top tech companies plus you working at one helps in raising funding for entrepreneurships. That is why you see ex leads at facebook and google always let everyone know about that. 4 years experience you be senior o. You fit get job by next week sef.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pruvia Integrated Limited / Laspotech Part-time / Full-time Forms... All You Need To Know / List Of Selected Candidates For The Nigerian Navy Basic Training School 18 Batch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.