Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) (5645 Views)

Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers / Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 04, 2011
I like us to revisit the abortion issue in Nigeria. couple of times same have been discussed but most times such discussions ended up inconclusive due to diversionary and derailing tactics employed by some.

Now the scope is limited to 3 aspects such as legal, moral and the fear of God.

LEGAL
I will like to know if theres any law in Nigeria that SPECIFICALLY allows the medical practitioners to carryout abortion without being prosecuted afterwards. Are the drugs being sold in medical stores that can terminate pregnancy or lead to abortion not prohibited by the law? . Also if such law(s) covers or permits the lady or woman to go for an abortion being conscious of the fact that shes at no risk if the fetus is allowed to grow and the baby be delivered (Told by the doctor of course)

MORALS
I know every profession has ethical standard that need not to be compromised.
got this definition for moral:

of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.

Would it be morally right for a doctor to carryout such act? would it also be right for a woman or lady single to fornicate, get the result of pregnancy and then want to terminate it cos of shame? Ok the other way round a married woman being involved in adultery or a married man out of not wanting to be disgraced or divorced decides to go for an abortion or encourage one(i.e the man)?

In addition every society has the rules some doestnt allow abortion yet pple still defiant to the custom

Lastly FEAR OF GOD
I chose the above phrase to generalize the subject for those that believe in the existence of God but aren't religious (deists, and other non christian and non muslims) to have their opinion if its possible out of the fear of God one would have a rethink about encouraging abortion. I know most Christians and Muslims will definitely not encourage it on the premise that its a form of murder. Others whats ur take on it

discussion opened to all especially those that believe in the existence of God save some pple (one line posters, derailers of thread or the likes of muddled insanity are not invited)
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2011
Muslim are against abortion except it pose a threat to the woman's life or maybe the child/incase of major or minor abnormality.
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by queensmith: 10:22pm On Jan 09, 2011
It should be legalized- everything else thats said is irrelevant. In a world where they can partake in sin to get pregnant, they can easily partake in another sin to get rid of the consequences.
I dont think men should make decisions on what women can and cannot do with thier bodies.
Its a womans rigt to decide!
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Jenwitemi(m): 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2011
toba:
Lastly FEAR OF GOD
I chose the above phrase to generalize the subject for those that believe in the existence of God but aren't religious (deists, and other non christian and non muslims) to have their opinion if its possible out of the fear of God one would have a rethink about encouraging abortion. I know most Christians and Muslims will definitely not encourage it on the premise that its a form of murder. Others whats your take on it

discussion opened to all especially those that believe in the existence of God save some pple (one line posters, derailers of thread or the likes of muddled insanity are not invited)
What has the "fear" of God got to do with the issue of abortion? What if the person(s) involved do not believe in God, let alone fear "him"? I think it is very unwise to see the abortion palaver as another black and white issue. We should not forget that it is not that clear cut because there are grey areas here.
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 09, 2011
@jenwitemi,we all know youre an Athiest,thats why Toba said(thiest and deist)
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 10, 2011
queensmith:

It should be legalized- everything else thats said is irrelevant. In a world where they can partake in sin to get pregnant, they can easily partake in another sin to get rid of the consequences.

Really? why should u partake in sin in the first place? partaking in a sin such as fornication and upon realizing that one has sinned why should one go partake in another sin?

queensmith:

I dont think men should make decisions on what women can and cannot do with thier bodies.
Its a womans rigt to decide!
Why do u think so? do u realize that we are living in a 'man's' world?
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Ymodulus: 10:30am On Jan 10, 2011
uplawal:

been a atheist has nothing to do with whats at stake. JENWIT has spoken well, so thats it
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by queensmith: 1:41pm On Jan 10, 2011
toba:

Really? why should u partake in sin in the first place? partaking in a sin such as fornication and upon realizing that one has sinned why should one go partake in another sin?

Why do u think so? do u realize that we are living in a 'man's' world?

Sin is sin! Not everyone believes in fornication and not everyone that believes it respects it! Point is in this society, unmarried people have sex and they wont stop having sex anytime soon, in conclusion abortion should be legal!

WHen was the international gathering of social scientists that declared James browns song as the international anthem? Lol your very funny! This world belongs to EVERYONE! And to each his or in this case her own!
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 10, 2011
queensmith:

Sin is sin! Not everyone believes in fornication and not everyone that believes it respects it! Point is in this society, unmarried people have intimacy and they wont stop having sex anytime soon, in conclusion abortion should be legal!
Im sure u are a christian(i may be wrong though) there are sins that are forgivable whilst some are not. Unforgivable sins may be reduced to a singular sin if you read and follow the Bible. There, in Matthew 12:22-37, the only sin that cannot be forgiven is a "blasphemy against the (Holy) Spirit." Just added that to show 'sin is not sin' (lol)

Yes pple might not want to stop having sex anytime soon, thats exactly why i opened the thread for us to consider it legally, morally and from the God side. U ve chosen the legal side. madam u need to convince us more on why u think it should be legalized. Have u considered some of the negative and risky effects of abortion?

queensmith:

WHen was the international gathering of social scientists that declared James browns song as the international anthem? Lol your very funny! This world belongs to EVERYONE! And to each his or in this case her own!
U are right the world belongs to everyone but men take the overall lead role. How? number of countries in the world and number of female and male presidents. See also number of CEOs that are male or female
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2011
Jenwitemi:

What has the "fear" of God got to do with the issue of abortion? What if the person(s) involved do not believe in God, let alone fear "him"?
It has got alot to do with it. In most religious gathering abortion had been condemned and i presume that those condemning must have the fear of God as part of the reasons for doing so. Speaking from the theistic view, mostly in Nigeria those that do it falls more on the side of the singles i.e youths etc who for the sake of fun enter into a non marriage ending relationship. A mistake occurs the lady or the guy thinks of no other option other than abortion out of fear or not wanting to take responsibility of their actions. Lets assume the pple involved are either christians or muslims knowing very well of the implication of such actions having both read their religious books that God is  against pre-marital sex. Isn't it possible out of the fear of being punished by God decide not to do the act?

Jenwitemi:

I think it is very unwise to see the abortion palaver as another black and white issue. We should not forget that it is not that clear cut because there are grey areas here.
grey areas such as? U are free to shed more light even from the moral and legal implication
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by queensmith: 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2011
toba:

Im sure u are a christian(i may be wrong though) there are sins that are forgivable whilst some are not. Unforgivable sins may be reduced to a singular sin if you read and follow the Bible. There, in Matthew 12:22-37, the only sin that cannot be forgiven is a "blasphemy against the (Holy) Spirit." Just added that to show 'sin is not sin' (lol)
Again whether or not im a christian is irrelevant in this matter but i will address what youve said.
What does blaspehmy against the holy spirit have to do with legalizing abortion? lets not overcomplicate whats very simple
toba:

Yes pple might not want to stop having sex anytime soon, thats exactly why i opened the thread for us to consider it legally, morally and from the God side. U ve chosen the legal side. madam u need to convince us more on why u think it should be legalized. Have u considered some of the negative and risky effects of abortion?
Ok- if you opened the topic to look at it from a religous side, then I have no reason to be here. I simply came here to air my views on th efact that abortion is illegal in Nigeria. No person should be subject to anothers religous beliefs and women should not be slaven to a lone burden.
She owns her body she decides what she wants to do with it or if she wants to bear child with it. Who are we to judge in a century where the line defining morality thins by the minute. It is only illegal in Nigeria because Nigerians are hypocrites, one look at the government will tell you that!
Have you considered the risky side effects of unprotected sex?
toba:

U are right the world belongs to everyone but men take the overall lead role. How? number of countries in the world and number of female and male presidents. See also number of CEOs that are male or female
Dont you think it makes sense in a world with alot more surviving males than females, that males are most likely to populate any workplace at any position?
Female BILLIONAIRES, PRESIDENTS AND CEO's still exist in abundance, even in countries known to have mysogynistic values on women and double standard beliefs! despite the fact that males out number females 2:1!
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 10, 2011
queensmith:

Again whether or not im a christian is irrelevant in this matter but i will address what youve said.
What does blaspehmy against the holy spirit have to do with legalizing abortion? lets not overcomplicate  whats very simple
Easy madam. l introduced the bible quotation just to show u sin is not sin as u ve said it is. A comic if u ask me. Really blasphemy against the holy spirit is not related to abortion

queensmith:

Ok- if you opened the topic to look at it from a religous side, then I have no reason to be here.
It isn't entirely from a religious side. the scope includes legality and morality. The fear of God which is the other isn't for the religionist alone. deists and skeptics aren't religionist. Never mind, I'll simply discuss with u on which ever aspect u choose

queensmith:

I simply came here to air my views on th efact that abortion is illegal in Nigeria. No person should be subject to anothers religous beliefs and women should not be slaven to a lone burden.
She owns her body she decides what she wants to do with it or if she wants to bear child with it. Who are we to judge in a century where the line defining morality thins by the minute. It is only illegal in Nigeria because Nigerians are hypocrites, one look at the government will tell you that!
l think u re wrong in some aspect of your post. A woman owns her body does that mean she should use same for what the society where shes domiciled prohibits? take for instance prostitution, can a woman use her body for such trade when its  against the norm of the society? Either directly or indirectly one will still be subjected under control except if such one lives in an isolated environment.Get me well, the law of where ever u reside makes u a subject in a way. lf i by chance find myself in any of the sharia practising states in Nigeria, l must submit myself to the law whilst still there.
The aspect u calling the government hypocrites is rather harsh for not legalizing abortion. Do u know when exactly abortion became illegal in Nigeria and which government was in power when such law was promulgated? its not the last two governments that passed such law. U must really know the reason why the Nigerian government decided to make abortion illegal before regarding the government as hypocrites

queensmith:

Have you considered the risky side effects of unprotected sex?
Yes i have. why did u ask?

queensmith:

Dont you think it makes sense in a world with alot more surviving males than females, that males are most likely to populate any workplace at any position?
Yes it does make a lot of sense. is that the case we found ourselves in presently in our world? I think the world population statistics shows that woman are more than men

queensmith:

Female BILLIONAIRES, PRESIDENTS AND CEO's still exist in abundance, even in countries known to have mysogynistic values on women and double standard beliefs! despite the fact that males out number females 2:1!
I know and will never argue about that. Yet its a 'man's' judging by the fact that the hold key decision positions in the world at large in terms of numbers
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Dulcet7(m): 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2011
"In accordance with my conception of life, I have chosen not to bring children into the world. A coin is examined, and only after careful deliberation, given to a beggar, whereas a child is flung out into the cosmic brutality without hesitation." - Zapffe
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Jenwitemi(m): 9:31pm On Jan 10, 2011
I am not an atheist.
uplawal:

Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by Jenwitemi(m): 9:43pm On Jan 10, 2011
Toba, not every humans being on this planet believes in God. I hope you realize that. All you said here is applicable only to the religious, not the nonreligious. Not everyone thinks along the lines of religious tenets.
toba:

It has got alot to do with it. In most religious gathering abortion had been condemned and i presume that those condemning must have the fear of God as part of the reasons for doing so. Speaking from the theistic view, mostly in Nigeria those that do it falls more on the side of the singles i.e youths etc who for the sake of fun enter into a non marriage ending relationship. A mistake occurs the lady or the guy thinks of no other option other than abortion out of fear or not wanting to take responsibility of their actions. Lets assume the pple involved are either christians or muslims knowing very well of the implication of such actions having both read their religious books that God is  against pre-marital sex. Isn't it possible out of the fear of being punished by God decide not to do the act?

What if the mother does not want the baby because it resulted from an act of violation by a criminal, for example. Such a child, brought to this world unwanted, is better aborted. That is just one of the grey areas ot of many. I am sure that you can think up a few yourself.

I am not even going to attempt to tackle the moral or the legal perspectives because those are subjective.
toba:
grey areas such as? U are free to shed more light even from the moral and legal implication
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by queensmith: 2:39pm On Jan 11, 2011
toba:

l think u re wrong in some aspect of your post. A woman owns her body does that mean she should use same for what the society where shes domiciled prohibits? take for instance prostitution, can a woman use her body for such trade when its  against the norm of the society? Either directly or indirectly one will still be subjected under control except if such one lives in an isolated environment.Get me well, the law of where ever u reside makes u a subject in a way. lf i by chance find myself in any of the sharia practising states in Nigeria, l must submit myself to the law whilst still there.
Society is not against it, in the terms of legalizing abortion only deciding men are. Since deciding men don't get pregnant, they cannot decide for any reason what a woman should do with hers. You cannot make judgements on situations you dont understand and things that dont affect you. That makes the person ignorant, its easy to subject people to situations when you dont have to experience them for yourself.
Prostitution is still very rampant, and I doubt its even illegal in Nigeria, that will be an awful irony. If you think prostitution is against the norm in Nigeria. I suggest you visit the sexuality section, there fully grown men that have never had sex without paying for it! In a country where the nationals like to preach a so called moral upstanding!
No, any sort of control, especially if its determined by religion, is oppression, has absolutely no benefits to society and should be eradicated!
The law in which I reside are based upon fundaments that benefit society, not nonsence, not judgemental bulcrap, not hypocritical opinions or chauvinistic religous beliefs! Thats why its such a beautiful country! Whist nigeria is still a hellhole!

toba:

The aspect u calling the government hypocrites is rather harsh for not legalizing abortion. Do u know when exactly abortion became illegal in Nigeria and which government was in power when such law was promulgated? its not the last two governments that passed such law. U must really know the reason why the Nigerian government decided to make abortion illegal before regarding the government as hypocrites
Since I dont know the reason, you tell me then! whats the reason? whats the all so sensible reason?
toba:

Yes i have. why did u ask?
Because you asked me if i knew the risks of abortion, read the quotes
toba:

Yes it does make a lot of sense. is that the case we found ourselves in presently in our world? I think the world population statistics shows that woman are more than men
I know and will never argue about that. Yet its a 'man's' judging by the fact that the hold key decision positions in the world at large in terms of numbers
No women have never outnumbered men, men outnumber women worldwide in live births and survival- basically, more males are born, conceived, live longer, and survive.
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by jmoore(m): 8:17am On Jan 12, 2011
Those who abort are worse than terrorist

see http://silentscrem.org
Re: Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) by satani22: 2:37pm On Apr 14, 2011
Free dom of choice grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

The Untold Truth About Water Spirit: What You Don't Know! / Difference Between a Religion and a Cult / Why Is Christianity So Hated And Persecuted Is It Because It's "conversion Theory"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.