Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such (561 Views)

Replace Striking Doctors With Corpers - Ehanire, Minister Of Health To Hospitals / Coronavirus: NMA Asks FG To Allow Other Laboratories Run Test / NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such by alfredo1(m): 6:30am On Apr 16, 2020
Over the years the position of the honourable of minister of health has seemingly been the exclusive right of medical doctors, though I'm not sure this has any constitutional backin. Any attempt to alter this tradition will lead to serious agitations by NMA often times resulting in strikes.

Despite this tradition, the health care system continue to be shambles. Going through the Wikipedia page of the current director general of the world health organisation, the first thing I noticed was that he is not a train medical doctor yet he's been doing exploits in the medical field and has held different leadership positions. Currently in Nigeria, I can not say for certain that a microbiologist (non medical microbiologist) has a place in our healthcare system.

Can making the position of the minister of health in Nigeria open to all stakeholders in the health industry be the needed adjustment for things to begin to take shape in our healthcare system?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tedros_Adhanom
Re: DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such by otipoju(m): 6:34am On Apr 16, 2020
Management is different diagnosing illness.
There is a course called Healthcare Administration I dont know if it's on offer in any Nigerian university.

1 Like

Re: DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such by dawnomike(m): 7:20am On Apr 16, 2020
Trust me, in a country like Nigeria where a minister of health that is a medical doctor is incompetent in discharging his duties as a minister... You can imagine how poorly a non-doctor would perform given such position.
It is a Nigerian problem I think... unfortunately, the best fits still don't get the jon done here
Re: DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such by sapientia(m): 7:22am On Apr 16, 2020
At this state of Nigeria, we need medical doctors to be the Minister.

Maybe if Nigeria develops, we can look for managers.
Re: DG WHO A Former Minister Of Health Is Not A Medical Doctor. Can NMA Allow Such by Zeeknow3245(m): 7:30am On Apr 16, 2020
There is a difference between management and diagnosis. Although, most ministers of health are usually doctors but that doesn't mean they are capable of managing affairs as a health minister. Come to think of it is there any legal backing saying that doctors should be ministers of health?

(1) (Reply)

Scientist Blames NCDC For Increased COVID-19 Cases, Offers Advise / Nigerian Pharmacist, Ben Amodu, Formulates Cure For COVID-19 / Covid19 New Symptom: Doctors Baffled By "Happy Hypoxia"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.