Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,656 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. (3338 Views)

The Soldier / A Soldier That Loves Me- A Fat Girl's Story / WAR And LOVE ( Story Of Ex Soldier Contain War, Love And Commedy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2020
[b][/b]
Hello, House

I am Quaint Soknown, a would be writer.

I salute the erudite writers who has been given us fluent and copious stories to read in this section.

This is my first attempt of writing a book so i will appreciate your comments and commendations.

The story is about the life and times of a boy, right from childhood to adulthood, his passions, challenges and triumph.
He is the indomitable Jagamu Onleowo, the reknowned Jagam-Buller in the military circle, a bully with consciense, a scholar, a loving man, a fierce friend, a true patriot that was ready to die for his country. He was many things in one body. His base was rural but his reach was global because he is the Jagam-Buller.

Genre, Reali-fiction. ( yes i know, it is a new word) that will one day find its way into the oxford dictionary. Do not worry, you will remember you heard it first on this thread. smiley

Disclaimer - ''This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events, places and incidents are the products of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual places and events however real, is purely coincidental.''
'' No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means—for example, electronic, photocopy, recording—without the prior written permission of the writer''
qs. 2020

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 4:48pm On Apr 18, 2020
Chapter one.

Teenage life, blushes and Blunders.

I have a vague picture of who my father was as I was very small. 4 years old when he went ‘away’ that was the word my mother used when I asked my mother as I had not seen him for days,
Don’t worry Jagamu, she said with tears in her eyes, your father has gone away, but he is always with you and she entered into all the lineage greetings called Oriki.
When I grew up a little I learnt he died during the 1993 election saga. He has finished from school, fresh from serving his nation in the national youth service corp, but his former school Great Ife students’ union invited him to join in their protest march against the military as was rive in the days. He went to the protest march but never came back as he was hit by a ‘ground nut’ from an unknown soldier, to cover up their track of death they always take the corpses of their victims.

It was an anticlimax that my father died that way because his older brother was already a Major in the Army. I was informed that he tried a lot to retrieve the corpse but the powers that be, wouldn’t yield.
He left the burden of two kids to a young woman. Mother took up the challenge with both knuckles, she resigned from the teaching job she had so she could have time for us, more so the teachers have been owed several months of salaries by the military junta. She started selling varieties of product in front of our house.

One would expect my mother to be soft on us, as myself and my sister are all she got but no, she is a strict disciplinarian. I recall one day that she gave me a mathematics assignment in Lacombe textbook telling me to finish up before she comes back from market. She came back to found out that I have not only failed to finish the assignment the little I did was all incorrect, she beat me to the extent my sister was begging her not to kill me, one sweet thing is she will beat you and as you are crying she will be crying letting you know that she does not enjoy beating you but she must do it for you to become a better person.

My name is Jagamu Onleowo, born in iseyin, a rusty brown roof houses dominated town in Oyo state. Life in my town is very rural and basic, we had few needs which are access to water, a market to sell and once in a while owambe party so that we can eat lots of meat.
Iseyin oro, oko oke, ……., that was my mom giving me ancestral greetings as I prostrated for her, the usual way of greeting an older person in Yoruba land. My mother would delay me by long eulogy early in the morning and still complained that I am slow in the early house chores and consequently get to the school late, but I have learnt my lessons, or should I say the lesson has been inscribed into my skull by Mr Odiein’s cane. So this morning I quickly got up before my mother finishes all the greetings, I picked up my bucket to get to the government well.
There is one bore hole drilled by the Honorable Sonari, that is the man representing Iseyin local government in the Oyo state house of Assembly. The bore hole was commissioned with pomps and pageantry, the whole state government executive and legislative apparatus led by the Governor himself came to my street to commission this bore hole called constituency project. The opposition figures made a big joke of it that we are still spending scarce fund to commission just a bore hole in the 21st century. But who cares, I don’t have to trek 5 km to River Mokuro to get water every morning again.

At the bore hole point, which is just like 2 plots of houses to mine, I met the usual faces, Folake omo iya alate (Folake the daughter of the woman that sells provisions), Remi (my crush), Booda Kunle (Brother Kunle, who just finished his national youth service.)
Me – Folly, Good morning, Remi, Remi, hope you are fine, Booda Kunle, Good morning Sir, slightly bending to greet him.
Booda Kunle – Jagamu the Jagamu, hope you are good, morning this morning.
Me – I’m fine Sir.
Folake- is it me you are calling Folly, am I your mate ?. Folake is two years older than I am.
I just ignored her, Folake and Booda Kunle filled their buckets and left leaving me and Remi, who just stood around with a straight face, i filled her bucket and mine.
Me – Remi you didn’t wait for me after lesson yesterday. After school hours, we do have extra mural classes arranged by the teachers to collect extra fees.
Remi – Leave me alone, did you even wait for the last subject, you were out playing table tennis.
Me – But I was still around the school at least.
Remi – she lifted her bucket with the right hand and raised her left palm, meaning - talk to my hand.
On getting home, mother was already fuming with anger, so you mean, this is the first bucket you are bringing back.
Me – Maami, I am sorry.
Maami – Keep the sorry to yourself, Quickly fetch two more buckets for me and you can go for your bath. If you like take for-ever for the two buckets, just know Mr Odiein and Agbaakin are still there.

I am lucky today, I entered the school gate at 0758Hr, just one minute before the bell rang. I met the punctuality and the labor prefects at the gate, the look on their face suggests that they wish I am one minute late. That will for-ever be a wish as I know my ways, My name is Jagamu Jungle, J.J for short. I know all the manned and unmanned, legal and illegal entrances to the school, the illegal and unmanned entrances are called Jungles. Any day that you see me at the gate, just know that I am on time. Other days I use the jungle routes, some of them so obscured that only few people know about them. But myself and my cliques know the route like the palms of our hands.

3 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by oluwatosin070: 4:50pm On Apr 18, 2020
Let's go there

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 5:53pm On Apr 18, 2020
oluwatosin070:
Let's go there
Welcome on board
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 5:56pm On Apr 18, 2020
I dashed to the assembly point with my bag still strapped on, not a new thing though. All students must gather at the assembly point for songs and prayers for the day by 8am. Mondays to Thursdays are for Christians prayers while Fridays are exclusively for Muslims. I looked round for my guys, only Wakili is around, we call him Wakili ijesha. The other two boys, Liadi, oko-iya Oyo and Abdol Bororo are not around yet and I know where they would be.

The group of friends which consist of myself J.J, Wakili, Liadi and Abdol are known as Patako Esin, the Horse’s hoof, it started as derisive name because of our hard stance, naughtiness, dirtiness and bully disposition. But with time we bear the name with pride because we believed it radiates it radiates strength. I am the De facto leader of the group, Wakili and Liadi are the scare face bouncers while Abdol is the negotiator, smooth talker. On the other hand the teachers call us Jagamu and Co because we are always together.

Immediately after the morning devotion, Wakili disappeared, it is easy to notice he is missing because we all sit at the back of the class. He reappeared thirty minutes later with our other friends. Just as I was about to ask them why were they all sweaty, the Agriculture Master came in.
Good morning Sir, the class chorused, standing straight, not out of respect for the man but for the big cane he always carry with him.

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Olalekank(m): 6:16pm On Apr 18, 2020
Now we here

A toast to soknown

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Oloniyan(m): 6:56pm On Apr 18, 2020
Soknown is from Osun/Ekiti axis. that's where they calls rifles Jagamu

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
am already hooked sir soknown grin
but myfear embarassed is how you deal with plagiarism because am very sure the moment this story hits chapter4 it becomes hot cake fir silly bloggers looking for content

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by ashatoda: 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2020
interesting please continue

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 18, 2020
Carry on bro ✌️

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 10:18am On Apr 19, 2020
Mr Odiein – Sit down students, who can tell me the english names of these crops,

Oriza Sativa.

Some voices at the back – Mimo.

Mr Odiein – discorea alata.

Same set of voices - Mimo.

I noticed it was Wakili and Abdol. I mouthed at them , what are you doing, what is wrong with your head?

Mr. Odiein – Discorea rotundata, Zea mays, Medicago Sativa

Wakili and Abdol – (loudly now) Mimo, Mimo, Mimo ni olorun awon omo ogun, meaning holy, holy holy is the lord of host.

Mr Odiein – Who are those miscreants ?
He looked at my straight face, J.J stand up, who are those ?.
Me – I don’t know sir.
Mr Odiein- Ok come out here, he started rolling his write sleeve. When some one shouted, it’s not him Sir.
Remi – Sir, It was Wakili and Abdol.

Fortunately, the two of them stood up same time to confess that they thought the teacher was speaking in tongues. The teacher took them out for some serious cane lashing. During the first break Liadi confided in me that while the rest of the students were having the morning devotion, himself and Abdol were in the jungle enjoying a experiments, smoking wet Oshogbo weeds and Wakili came to join them after the devotion.
The two came back to the class later in the afternoon after they have been made to cut almost half of the foot ball pitch under the sun, they were angry, hungry and grumpy. To make peace, I told them we are going to Maami shop for our Lunch break if they promise to forget what Remi did.

Wakili – J.J why are you always covering this girl now.?
Abdol – She does not even mind you, let us put your fear in her for once.
Me – Do we have a deal or you want to go hungry for the whole day, we do not fight girls or over girls. Always remember that.
All- Let’s go to Maami’s shop.

Maami has a Worobo, the local variety shop, it’s only cat’s head you can’t find in her shop, it is the proceed from the shop that caters for two kids and herself. Abdol cannot keep a secret, the other time his dad shot at a man who was trying to trespass on his cocoa farm. Abdol announced it to the whole class that his dad shot at a man and missed. He gave a full download of what transpired in the morning to Maami, he dare not mention the weed part otherwise Maami will chase him out of the shop. She once beat all of us with omorogun- stirring stick.

Later in the afternoon, I was seated with my friends when one haughty student from the Community high school passed by, there is unending, sometimes bitter rivalry between my school L.A secondary Grammar school and Community high school. This rivalry resonates from generation past till date with no known cause despite the fact that they were established same year and located directly opposite each other on major highway that crossed our town, sometimes the two schools are called the sister schools. The local government has banned football matches between the school because it always end in Fracas. win, lose or draw there will always be blood. Some matches had resulted in a town wide riot that mobile police unit were deployed from Ibadan to quell it.

I shouted at the boy, Ebaosofo, His name is kazeem but we prefer to call him ebaosofo obeosoro, because he loves food, there was an incident where he went for an owambe party that he was not invited to, he was informed that there is no meat in the soup again, he said obeosoro meaning soup is not an issue just give me the eba and put the remaining soup even it is just the oil. He has been bearing the consequence since then. Kazeem looked back and shouted back kolero Jagamu and he picked race. My crew wanted to chase him but I have gotten used to the Kolero tag that it doesn’t bother me again. In my second year in Junior school, I had a fight with another student who wanted to cheat me out of winnings in table tennis, I threw the tennis racket at him and he collapsed but for the speedy response of the Physical education teacher who was trained in first-aid response the boy would have died. I spent 3 days in the police station, served two weeks suspension from school and my mother had to write several letters of apology to the parent teachers association, the school’s board and the local inspector of education, before I was recalled. Afterwards I started hearing rumors that the boy said I hit him with a Juju ring. So the name Kolero( meaning no cure when hit with the juju ring) was added to my name, I fought it for awhile but my mother advised that I should let it go otherwise it will lead to more fight and more troubles.

Kazeem fled but came back with some boys threatening to cause troubles for my maami if I do not come out to face them, Maami went out of the shop to plead with them because she knew trouble is brewing. I sent Wakili and Liadi to go through the back of the shop and surround them from the back while I told Abdol ( he is always the smooth talker) to go with Maami.
They were still shouting at Abdol and Maami when the two brutes hollered from their back. Where are they ?, the boys recognized those voices and fled in different directions like rats at the site of the resident cat. Maami came back to the shop and started scolding me for almost starting a fight in her shop. She said, she would drag us to the police station by herself if we fight again.

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 10:48am On Apr 19, 2020
Back at the school later in the afternoon, I hooked up with Remi who was waiting for me in one of the empty junior classes. Our favorite rendezvous. I met her reading the old vintage magazine series Hint.
Me - Hello
Remi – where have you been ?
Me – I have been to London now,
Remi – Has anybody from your family been to London, London Ko, Jandon ni.
Me – stuttering, Remi, it is only you that can speak to me like that, Do not worry, I will take you to London one day and you will remember this your statement.
Remi – Are you angry? By the way where is my better lover magazine that I gave to you last week.
Me- I have not finished reading it, when I finish it I will return it.
Remi – Liar, That’s a lie, I saw the magazine with Abdol earlier. Are you lying to me now?
Me – You know I can not lie to you now, ok, I was done with it but Abdol wants to copy some lines from it. Do not worry, I will get it back from him tomorrow. What’s happening in the hint today?
Remi – Just the usual lovey-dovey stories now. When are you having your next subject this evening. Remi is the science class While I am in the art class.
Me – I have government in the next 15 minutes but I think I have a table tennis bet with Durotoye before then.
Remi – Can’t you do without tennis in a day, must you bet. Jagam don’t play tennis this evening, go to your class and relax before the next subject.
Me – Leave me jare, you are not maami. Please wait behind for me after close of lesson, let’s go home together.
Remi – If you play tennis, I will not wait for you.
Me – If you don’t wait, I will unleash Wakili on you, she smiled as she knows I can not do that, but she did not say anything again as she stood up to go back to the science class. Some of her jealous female friends call her Jagam because she is close to me. I still wonder why a good natured and beautiful girl like Remi will be a friend to a ‘rough neck’, ‘red head’ like me.

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by crossfm: 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2020
You are really doing a great job here,I know as the story unfolds you will do better.

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2020
Olalekank:
Now we here

A toast to soknown
Welcome on board, i recognise you from the other thread.

2 Likes

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 3:18pm On Apr 19, 2020
Oloniyan:
Soknown is from Osun/Ekiti axis. that's where they calls rifles Jagamu
Welcome on board, I think it is a pan-yoruba word. may be it diffused from the quoted origin.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 3:21pm On Apr 19, 2020
Smartmed:
am already hooked sir soknown grin
but myfear embarassed is how you deal with plagiarism because am very sure the moment this story hits chapter4 it becomes hot cake fir silly bloggers looking for content
Welcome, on board. Concerning, plagiarism i do not know how to deal with that too. I hope i will get the necessary help if there is such concern later on.

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 3:22pm On Apr 19, 2020
ashatoda:
interesting please continue
Welcome, i will try.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2020
collinsuchendu:
Carry on bro ✌️
Welcome on board, my friend.

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 3:26pm On Apr 19, 2020
crossfm:
You are really doing a great job here,I know as the story unfolds you will do better.
Many thanks for the encouragement, I have started using Grammarly, which should take care of the tenses.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 4:00pm On Apr 19, 2020
It was four weeks to end of the term and next week is the promotion exam to the highest class the Senior class 3. I was burning the candles at both ends just to make up for lost times or wasted times, those times I have used playing table tennis, fighting or chasing troubles. I am game in all subjects except mathematics, I recall selling my mathematics notebook in Junior class 1, i thought to be in Secondary school meant you can choose the subjects you want study so i can do away with mathematics for good but Mr. Oyemade used his cane to reset my brain till I saved enough to buy another notebook as I could not bring myself into telling Maami, she is the only person on earth that I can't lie to, except Remi of course. I was suffering from what i later learned to be dyscalculia and dyslexia.

Writing distresses me, it is like writing or thinking about writing causes some ink or chemical dry up in my brain. I remembered the first time I wrote a full page on my notebook copying from the blackboard back in primary five, sitting beside me was Remi. She was writing effortlessly, I could not appear to be lazy so I kept at it but after writing a full-page, I believe the chemical dried up in my brain, i could not write again. The teacher called me to come forward and explained to him why i stopped copying. I told him with teary eyes i told him, i could not write again but i do not know the reason. The teacher gave me a huge knock on my head with his knuckles, it felt like a crater was created in my skull. I wished i have gotten help at that time.

The examination week came and gone without any event, except Liadi that was caught with expo during the geography examination, the poor guy sucks at geography, he once argues that a hill is bigger than a mountain. Fortunately for him, he was not sent off the examination room, he was moved to another seat, just behind me so I had to help a friend in need. After the exam, he hugged me like I was a duvet. After the closing bell on Friday, we all heave a sigh of relief, knowing we are closer to finishing our secondary education, I looked for Remi everywhere to ask about the sciences, she was nowhere. I asked my friends to please help me look for her. Only to be informed that she didn't come to the school for the final examination. I didn't wait for any further explanation I dashed to the road running to her parents' house which is about two kilometers to the school. I didn't even notice that my friends were following me with two of her friends.

We got to her house only to discover that she was sick and has been taking to the only health center Our ladies of St' Agnes close to the town center. When we got to the center, I was faced with the problem of which hall or part of the center she was, so we were just roaming the corridors when a reverend sister noticed us.

Reverend sister – Hey Kids, God bless you, what are you doing here instead of being in school.

All – Good afternoon Ma, we have closed for today ma.

Reverend Sister – oh seriously, it is 2 pm o, so why are you here roaming around.

Me – one of our classmates was brought here by her parents.

Reverend Sister - When and what is her name.

All chorused – Remilekun.

Reverend sister – Remi okay, please follow me, but I can't take all of you to see her now, can three of you follow me.
So I told my friends to stay behind while I went with the other female students.

I have never been to a hospital or health center, I have been sick before but Maami will call the nurse to give me an injection at home. So, the environment is a rude shock to me, it was so neat, quiet with some lovely scents coming out of some windows as we passed on the corridors. There is also a gentle breeze rustling the numerous coconut trees around the premises, I have never seen a more peaceful place and I thought this would be a nice place to live or work.

The Reverend sister stopped at the entrance of ward six and we entered a large hall like my classroom only that this place was filled with beds and people, the hall has many ceiling fans and mosquito nets on each bed, I ran my eyes around the hall and I couldn't have missed her.

Me – There she is.

Reverend sister – You have a sharp eye. What's your name?

Me - Jagamu Onleowo

Reverend sister - haha Patako esin, you are the notorious Jagamu.

Remilekun beamed with smiles though her face was laced with tears as we approached her. She asked Jagam, why are you here.

Me - I heard that you were sick and you didn't come for the final examination today, with serious concern shown in my voice.
I turned back to the reverend sister, thank you for bringing us here ma.
Reverend Sister talking to Remi, Remilekun how are you now? make sure you relax don't let this hordes disturb you.
Turning to us, please don't disturb her, and you have less than twenty minutes. Jagamu please see me before you go.
All chorused, Yes ma, thank you Ma.

I reached for Remi's hand and she smiled.

Can you see us here at all? Bunmi asked.

Remilekun – I am sorry Bunmi, Rolly. You know I can't ignore you

Remilekun – Laughing now, so how was the final paper?

Me – Fine. But what happened to you, I saw you last night and you were fine, what happened? You got me worried, I mean you got us worried, Bunmi and Rolly started laughing. I asked them, are you not worried.
The two friends giggled again. I have learned to ignore people, especially a group of giggling girls. So I kept my cool allowing the girls to have their gossips and catching up about the exam. On my part I was just imagining what was wrong with the other people on the beds, and telling myself how long have they been on the bed, it is a big deal for a restless soul like me. It was Bunmi that remembered I was still on the seat.

Bunmi - Jagam, you are still here?

Me - was I not the one that lead the two of you to this place, don't just include me in your gossip or else I will give you your size. I winked at Remi.

Rolly - Jagamu, alpha omni-know the way, don't you have shame? you want to fight in the hospital.

Me - Is it written anywhere here that, please do not fight here. By the way, this is a Health center not a hospital. Thinking aloud, a hospital could be bigger than this?

Remi - smiling,( in a mocking tone) Professor Jagam, please tell us the difference between a health center and a hospital.

Me - I don't know, I just feel there should be a difference between the two.

Fortunately, a nurse was passing by on the corridor, I ran after her.

Me - Aunty good afternoon Ma,

Nurse - Yes good afternoon, how can I help you?

Me - I and my friends were arguing about the difference between a health center and a hospital.

Nurse - what's your name?

Me - Jagamu.

Nurse - Give me a few minutes, let me complete what I am doing, I will be back for you.

Ten minutes later, she entered into our hall.

Me - Thank you, how did you know I am in this hall ?.

Nurse - I saw you entering back into this ward.

Rolly - what's a ward?

Nurse - this building is called a ward, not a hall, a ward is a place where sick people are placed for treatment or observation. Now Jagamu back to your question, basically a health center is a place where sick people go to for treatment without placing them on admission. In some places it is called a clinic while a hospital is a more organized, bigger and specialized place that has more departments than a health center.

Me - Thank you ma, trying to cut the discussion, since I Have gotten what I wanted. There is a difference between the two.

Nurse - Jagamu, that is a weird name. Is it an alias.

Remi - ( not allowing me to respond). It is his name, real name. His mother said there was a heavy Gunshot immediately he was born, Jagamu was the sound made by the gunshot. Moreover he was troublesome right from the time he came out.

Me - Don't mind her ma, Maami said it was a gun salute.

Nurse - interesting as she was, walking away, you know you can change it later in life.

All chorused - Thank you aunty.

Bunmi and Rolly stood up to go, I told them that I am not ready. Within me I was thinking how could I go without knowing what happened to Remi.
Rolly is a witch, she knew what I was waiting for. she blurted out, you plan to stay so that you can pester her till she tells you what went wrong with her.
Me - how is that your concern, don't you know your way back. You can go, I'm not ready. I stood up to hold the side of the bed like a baby holding on to her mother's leg.

Remi - Jagam I have menstrual pains.

Me - I dropped back to my seat in shock. Why, how, what causes that.

The two girls hung to themselves as they laugh their hearts out.

Remi - she saw the shock in me, Haha Jagamu, don't you know your biology again. when I said you should attend classes, you'll be out playing table tennis.

Me - coming back to my senses, I remember we have been taught female menstrual cycle, I had to sound tough to save face,-hey hey, don't start that, I know the menstrual cycle, that 28 days a month experience

Bunny - Remi, leave him, he can't understand.

Remi - the nurses said, the pain is caused by a chemical called prostaglandin released in the womb. So are you satisfied now?

Me - when are you going back home?

Remi - the doctor is coming back this evening, the nurse said I will be discharged when he comes.

We left Remi on her bed and proceeded to the reception hall where my friends were supposed to be, they were nowhere around so I concluded they have gone home. I got outside and someone whistled at me from above obviously my friends had climbed the coconut trees when it is obvious there are no ripe nuts on the trees. I wonder if there is anything these ones cannot do fun, I just ignored them and proceeded to Maami's shop I couldn't be bothered by them, my crush is sick. Remi was discharged later that evening.

The next day was a Saturday, Maami has taught us that Saturdays are for cleaning the house, doing laundries and revision of what was taught during the week while Sundays are for church and Godly activities. So she does not open her shop on Sundays. She makes sure we attend Sunday School in the morning and the church service would not end until 1 pm or later.

The next few weeks were fun-filled as end of session activities were rive in the school, sports, cultural display and the almighty award day. The last day of the term and session when all the parents, guardians, clergy and all school patron come to the school for the mega party and award participation. As usual I and my friends are always onlookers or at best chaperone, standing at the gate to scare away trouble makers from other schools. With our perennial poor performance it would be a miracle to win any award. Right from my primary school days I have struggled with writing, I just write little that can make me to pass, I don't like taking notes in the class because for reasons I do not fathom, writing causes me distress so I prefer to sit and listen to the teachings and so far that has been working for me.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by crossfm: 6:49pm On Apr 19, 2020
Soknown:

Many thanks for the encouragement, I have started using Grammarly, which should take care of the tenses.
The fact that you are open to learning puts you at advantage for greater exploits.you keep on keeping on.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 10:22am On Apr 20, 2020
crossfm:
The fact that you are open to learning puts you at advantage for greater exploits.you keep on keeping on.
Thanks so much.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 1:46pm On Apr 20, 2020
My friendship with Remi, blossomed over the next few weeks as we entered into the long vacation, I made sure I saw her every day, sometimes we would sit under the tree in front of her house, discussing nothing or some beautiful nonsense till late in the evening it was one of those evenings when we were together that she asked if I had thought of what I want to do after secondary school, I felt insulted by the question but common, she is Remi, she can ask anything from me.

I told her I want to go to university, she asked, to study what course? I had to confess that I have not given it a serious thought as we still have one year of secondary school. She said she already knows what she wanted to study which is Pharmacy and she would like to attend Obafemi Awolowo University, because her father attended the same school. I asked why was she telling me all this and also asking questions, she said – she wanted to encourage me to be more serious as we are going to SS3. Truly I went home that day thinking about what I want to make of my life. What course do I want to study, what school do I want to attend, not like I know so many schools anyway apart from University of Ibadan and Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile-Ife.

I was planning on growing a new leaf and following another path for my life rather than wasting my time causing troubles, when one of the chiefs in the neighborhood brought some work-men to start clearing the bush of the plot of land beside our house. Our house is built on one plot of land but there is another plot besides that Maami is keeping for us. Now this Chief has approached Maami to sell it to him so that he can use it to build a bakery but Maami declined. This very day, he brought work-men to clear the bush and left instructions for Maami that whether she likes it or not he would use the plot of land, he erected a signpost on the land. I was not around but I was given the information when I got back home, I was fuming with anger. I ran out, Maami ran after me and dragged me down. When I saw her crying I melted and I started crying also. So next day I went to visit my friends and I told them, what the chief did, Wakili stood up without saying anything and started gathering stones, I asked him what he was going to do with that, he said he knows the bar where the Chief goes to drink every evening, that we could just smash his car's windows with stones as a warning. I remained silent while seated on the stone, I thought of the escalation pathway of such action, what if the Chief raised alarm, what if he becomes injured, what if he has his boys with him and it became free for all. The suggested action has trouble written all over it so I told them we are not following up on that path.

When I got home I could not sleep, I was troubled that I am the only male in the house and I could not do anything about this issue at hand without engaging in violence. When I woke up an idea came to my mind, why can't I call my uncle if he could send some soldiers to threaten the Chief. I know Maami will not support such action so I crept out of my bed and washed my face, I know exactly the person that can help me. Harmed with Maami's diary that contains important numbers I head to the health center.

The nurses started trooping into the center, I hid behind the gate waiting for the lovely reverend sister to pass. Fortunately for me, she recognized me. I had to apologize for not waiting to see her the other day I came to check Remilekun at the center. I told her I need her so that I will not get in trouble. She held my hand and led me to her office. She made tea for me and said I should drink while she goes around the center for the morning situation report. She came back 30 minutes later. She sat down and asked that I explained everything to her, she seems genuinely interested in the whole saga. I told her I need to use her phone to contact my uncle. She asked if it would not be too early to call. I said my Uncle has said we can call anytime.

She dialed the phone for me, my uncle was so happy and surprised to hear my voice. I did not waste time, I went straight into the story. He said he would come over as soon as he has time but I should not tell Maami, all in all it was a four minutes call. When the call dropped, I looked into the sister's eye, I did not know what to say to thank her, because thank you would not do it. She patted me on the head and said. Don't worry about it, you have a very good heart do not waste it away in this village. I noticed it the very first day I saw you, I wanted to speak with you the day you came to visit your friend. Do not waste your life away in this village, you are born to become more. I prostrated for her and left sluggishly, apart from Maami and Mr. Oyeboade our English teacher, no one else has spoken to me like this. I don't even know what they all see in this brute.

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 20, 2020
sir come and finish this episode oo i cant wait to read how jagamu's millitary uncle dealt with the chief grin
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by oluwatosin070: 7:15pm On Apr 20, 2020
@Op, Biko comma continue this story.... O make sense baje
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by crossfm: 9:50am On Apr 21, 2020
The fear of soldiers in Nigeria is the beginning of wisdom.I will give anything not to be is the shoes of that chief.
This episode is very short.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 12:42pm On Apr 21, 2020
Smartmed:
sir come and finish this episode oo i cant wait to read how jagamu's millitary uncle dealt with the chief grin
I will update it today. thanks.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 12:42pm On Apr 21, 2020
oluwatosin070:
@Op, Biko comma continue this story.... O make sense baje
Thanks, i post an update today.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 12:43pm On Apr 21, 2020
crossfm:
The fear of soldiers in Nigeria is the beginning of wisdom.I will give anything not to be is the shoes of that chief.
This episode is very short.
Thanks i am working on it, there will be an update today.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 12:48am On Apr 22, 2020
Two days later, a green Peugeot 504 car pulled off into our house, there he was, my uncle, he got out from the back seat when the soldier that drove him opened the door for him. He was wearing a simple polo shirt and jeans trouser none the less very sharp and charming, Maami said he is a replica of my dad. I ran towards him and prostrated, he waited for me to get up then he shook my hand said how are you sir, my head was blown away, I went blank, did not know what to say. So I just grinned.
Maami heard his voice and came out also. She knelt to greet him while he got her by the shoulders and brought her back to her feet. We all went inside the house, except for the two soldiers that accompanied him. He hunkered onto the sofa while I hurried to get him water. Thank you he said as, I put the glass of water down. I pretended like I do not know about his mission. I sat down beside him but he said I should excuse him, he would like to discuss some important things with my mum. I walked out of the room and closed the door, so that I could stay behind the door and eavesdrop on their discussion. I guess he understood my intention, He called me back to open the door and go outside to stay with the boys in the car.
Earlier that morning, my mother woke me up that she wanted to talk with me. She thanked me for some good behavior displayed during the last academic year. A year ago, She had made me promised her to stop fighting on the street no matter the provocation. At the end of the penultimate session, there was an incident with some haughty Lagos boys that came to our village to write WAEC, my school was one of the WAEC special centers. We do have special candidates from Lagos, Abuja, kano and Portharcourt.
After the WAEC examinations, there was general jubilation of finally leaving secondary school, the boys numbering about 10, attempted to rape other students along one of the footpaths leading to the schools. My friends and I got the information and mobilized to the location, we overpowered the Lagos boys and freed the girls who have had their pants torn off, brassier taken off but fortunately none of them were penetrated. Some of the boys had fractures and head injury from the beating, their parents took them to the health center while some were taken to Ibadan because of the fractures. Two of them that were not seriously injured, mobilized some thugs from Saki in the following week, but I have been given the information that there was going to be an attack but no one knows the time or place. On the fateful day my group was playing games of snooker with some boys from the other school at our favorite hang-out place, Hang-over barbing salon when the Peugeot 504 station wagon pulled up. The thugs jumped out with different types of knives and machete. Wakili was the closest to the salon door so he reacted quickly and lock the door, it was a glass door and easy to break down but it gave us time to get away using the back door. We came out to them on the other side of the street, they were taken back by our quick regrouping. I came forward and told them to leave before it is too late, they grouped around the station wagon, not yielding. Wakili brought out three used tires and we started a bonfire to block the road, the smoke covered their sight and did not see us as we disappeared into the adjoining houses only to resurface from their back, now they have to fight or drive through the bonfire on the other side. We had just sticks with us while they have different weapons, suddenly there were gunshots into the air and tear gas thrown from behind them. The police have arrived and saved them, eight of twelve of them were arrested. We fled the scene but the police knew my house, they came for me later that night.
Maami was shedding tears like a sponge, my sister was rolling on the floor when they were taking me away. The following morning, one of the girls that was almost raped came to the station with Remi. She explained what happened to the Investigative officer, who was calm enough to listen to them but told them told to go as there was nothing he could do to release me, saying the parent of one of the boys that were injured in the previous fight is a Permanent Secretary in Lagos. Remilekun and the girl later went to one of the chiefs, who relayed the true story to the King. Then, The king sent an emissary to the divisional police officer to see him in the palace. The king called the commissioner of police in the presence of the divisional police officer and the case was dropped.
I was released that evening, I went home to freshen up. Maami and Remi took me to see the chief to greet him and the following day, we went to the palace to see the king, he was happy to see me and commended me and my group for saving those girls from being raped. That night Maami made me promise her that I will never fight on the street again which I did. So this morning, she commended me for keeping my promise for a year, she said she is working on something that will make the following year a better one for us.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 1:18am On Apr 22, 2020
My uncle came out of the house after his discussion with Maami, he told me to enter the vehicle, so we drove to the evil chiefs house. I imagined how the chief will be beaten and humiliated. Luckily he was around as we could see his haggard Peugeot 505 evolution packed at the front of his house. The driver packed sideways with the Chief's car. My Uncle held my hand as we got out of the vehicle. Only a few people have sparkling clean green colored Peugeot 504 SR in my town, So the chief was already at his house door as we got down from the car, staring at us and the car. He held his gaze on my Uncle's face, He could not make out the face. We approached him, I was trying to match the pace of my uncle.

When we got to about 15 feet from where he was, My Uncle greeted him.

How are you today Sir?

Very well thank you. The chief replied. I was surprised to hear him speak in the English language.

I am Adekunle Onleowo, Jagamu's uncle. Can we have a few words with you? If you do not mind.

Chief; about what, I need to know.

Uncle Adekunle; Well, if you oblige us to sit, we will let you know. We come in peace. I thought within myself, what peace, just draw him out and give him strong slap to the face.

Ok you can come over here, if you do not mind. I want to sit under the tree for some fresh air myself. The chief called one of his children to bring chairs for everyone.

My Uncle apologized for not notifying him of our visit earlier, that he came to the village and heard some things that he felt he should clarify with the Chief before he goes back to Lagos.
I was disappointed, I had thought my uncle would come to threaten, beat him up or at least point finger in his face and dare him to get near the land again, how can he be so gentlemanly about the issue. Most people understand one language and that is violence.

Uncle Adelunle; I was informed you are interested in buying some plots lands, especially Jagamu's mom's land.

Chief; Yes, Yes. I am interested, I need to build another warehouse for my produce business. I will pay, I will pay. Money is not a problem.

Uncle Adekunle; well Sir, I came to inform you to drop that thought.

Chief; what do you mean, do you know who I am.

Uncle Adekunle; continuing in a calm voice, that very land is not for sale sir, and I wish you could take this in good faith and look elsewhere. Thank you so much for your time, he said as he beckoned on me to stand up.

We left him as he was ranting, you do not know who I am and what I can do to you, I can call the DPO to arrest all of you just now. My uncle stopped and looked back at him. But did not say a word. The soldiers who have been standing by the car all this while wanted to go to the Chief but my Uncle wave them back.

We got in the car, I was fuming with anger. why did he not introduce himself as Captain Adekunle, or why did he not beat him up or allow his boys to man-handle him, that would have created the fear in the Chief. I guess my Uncle understood my thought as he asked me.
Are you thinking, why I did not show my Identity,
I said yes, he would have respected you better, looking away from him. Thinking to myself, no wonder his brother was killed and he could not do anything about it.
He smiled and said, one day you will have real power, you will do well to remember not to rub it in people's face. When we got home, I went straight to my room and lock the door. He stayed for some time discussing with Maami before he left, he came to knock on my door but i did not bother to answer him. About two hours later, i heard 7 gun shots from the direction of his house. My Uncle's house is at the entrance of the town, one of the few Duplex houses. Whenever he is around in the house, each night he fires seven gun-shot in the air to announce his presence and also warn would-be attackers and burglars.
Maami noticed my mood as I was going into the room so she did not bother me with anything that night, but the following morning, she knocked to wake me very early again, She said my Uncle told her that Chief would not disturb her again for the land and that it seems I did not like the way he handled it. I told Maami that it does not matter how I felt, I just wanted the issue to be dealt with once and for all. Truly when the daybreak, Chief came with some of his boys to remove the sign-post that he has erected on the plot of land. I was happy for the first time since yesterday. I fetched ten buckets of water for Maami before I sat down to eat Ogi and Akara. As I was eating Maami drop the bombshell on me.
Maami; Jagamu onleowo
Me; Maami, what did I do this time.
Maami; you did not do anything, but what you will do with what I am about to tell you.
Me; I dropped my spoon and looked at her face beaming with joy.
Maami; Uncle Dekunle said, you can come to Lagos to stay with his family as from the next session.
I stood up from my meal and shouted, why Maami, why. I cannot leave you Maami. Leaving you in this town. It is not possible.
Maami; What happened, is it not this town I have been leaving in before I gave birth to you, nothing will happen to me and your sister. You need to go away from this town so that you will not have regrets later. I have always told you, you are meant to be more than what this town can offer you.
Me; I am not ready to go, i moved away from her because tears were welling in my eyes, i do not want her to see my tears.
Maami; Jagamu, it is not now, you have two months to prepare for the movement. If you go, it will make life easier for me and you sister, i will have just two mouths to feed instead of three.
I left my food and jetted outside, i have to see Remi and discuss it with her. How can i leave Remi in the town?.
Remi has gone for extra-mural classes, her mother informed me. I thought within myself, the session just finished why is she still attending classes.
The sun has started shining, my head started to hurt because of so many thought raging in my head. I have to talk to someone. I went to Wakili's house, i met my friends playing football made by melting many cellophane bags together, the pitch was made by drawing lines on the sand.. I called them aside and informed them. Liadi said he had thought that after our secondary school, we will be in the motor park selling tickets to the transporters making money for the government and ourselves and with time we will establish other parks where we will be the managers, the other two agreed and said they would not want me to leave. I told them to continue playing, i can not deal with their level of thought right now. i sat down beside the fake football pitch. I remembered Rev-Sis Olisa-chukwu at the health center, without saying goodbye, i made my way to the health center.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by oluwatosin070: 6:39am On Apr 22, 2020
Thanks for the update.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

America Most Hiden And Greatest Secret / Babysitting Jenna / Pastor's Second Wife - Episode 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.