Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,158 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? (24596 Views)

I Hate My Life, I'll Make Sure My Father Suffers At Old Age. / Men, Please Be Good And Kind To Your Wife If You Wish To Enjoy Your Old Age / Blind Couple Who Have Been Married For 40 Years Tell Their Love Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by smiliyB(f): 6:56pm On Apr 19, 2020
Modify- I decided to adjust the headline, that's my own opinion. My aim of creating this thread is for us to discuss and leave meaningful comments for our own good. Not to start debating on the story's headline.

I have this experience with two married couple on two different occasions on my way back to East. So, I'm just wondering is it that they fell out of love or they never loved each other from the onset. What really happen? What can be done to keep the fire burning (I mean the fire of love oo cheesy) between couples even till old age.

I know you're desperate to know what happened, let me share with you. wink But it's really big sha, so try and be patient. I'll try my best and limit it too.

Before I start, let me talk about my parents a little. I never experience this with my parents, my dad left this world 2007, at the age 63years but I haven't seen where my parents talked back at each other in a disrespectful manner inside the house talk more of doing such outside our home. I was a teenager when my dad left, so it's not that I was a child during those times and I couldn't notice a hot argument. If there's any argument, they do settle it in peace. Okay, Back to the story!

On my way back to East from Lagos State, I came across one couple let say they may be in their late 50's or early 60's. We met on the same place I came to board a vehicle to travel back to my home. I immediately noticed how this couple talks back at each other, at first I thought may it's normal but it was consistent and I was really bordered on how their lives will be inside their house. I sat next to the woman and the husband was on a different row entirely.

The first case, the husband asked the wife if she needs anything, like if she'll eat food and the wife snapped back at him to leave her alone. She said, you have been dragging me up and down since morning and my legs are just paining. I told you let's come straight to this place but you refused and we have moved from ikorodu garage to ojota and finally we are back to that same place you refused to come at first. The husband shouted back at her and left because our bus was still loading. While the wife kept on complaining to herself, even though the husband wasn't there anymore.

I'm very happy she didn't turn to me to complain, I don't really have strength for such, it always drain my energy...Lol... I kukuma mind my business, I didn't even ask anything. This is just one of plenty nags inside the vehicle till we got to East. They were just like cat and rat living together embarassed from my little experience with them.

The second couple is just the exact case like the first couple and almost the same age bracket. Let me not drop excess write up on it. So, after my second experience with this couple, I remembered the first couple and I'm just wondering what is happening Please marry your friends, marry someone you can leave the rest of your life with. Don't just marry because you want to marry and age is no longer on your side. Back to the question I asked earlier, please drop meaningful comments on how couples can sustain their love for each other even till old age. Thanks everyone!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Tozic: 7:01pm On Apr 19, 2020
Dear MarryAnn, I know you can't see this post tongue
When the time comes I won't propose. Ring will fly from nowhere to your finger. Because u know how we started. We've known ourselves in primary school, we've known ourselves in secondary school, we are in the same UNI.
grin grin

34 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Oyiboman69: 7:11pm On Apr 19, 2020
Marriage has no manual... What works for you can be a hell hole for another.

I'm just reacting to the hardline not that I read the story though.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Bola146(f): 7:21pm On Apr 19, 2020
Thanks for the wonderful advise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Ironic: 7:28pm On Apr 19, 2020
I didn't bother to read up because what you wrote won't change how destined a particular marriage is meant to be.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by chatinent: 7:36pm On Apr 19, 2020
You are self-opinionated.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by dan2090: 7:42pm On Apr 19, 2020
Hmmmmm! It does not work in every case. Best friend or no best friend, it is not a guarantee please.

Speaking from experience, My Advise?
Marry someone who is fond of you or you're found of, Simple.
Your Best friend may not be fond of you, Take Note.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2020
True. When the butterflies in your stomach have flown away and the sex doesn't really mean much to you anymore, you'd wish you had made him/ her your friend first. Conversations and deep talks are the butter on a marital union.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Yustash001(m): 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2020
Even if you marry your friend....issues will still pop up

It's just natural..... the most important is for both of them to settle it out once it starts but in a situation where by both of them find it difficult to utter ordinary "sorry"

Na divorce go end am last last

7 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by ValCon888: 9:12pm On Apr 19, 2020
Tozic:
Dear MarryAnn, I know you can't see this post tongue
When the time comes I won't propose. Ring will fly from nowhere to your finger. Because u know how we started. We've known ourselves in primary school, we've known ourselves in secondary school, we are in the same UNI.
grin grin
Until MaryAnn will fùck your best friend and give your roommate doģgy.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Richy4(m): 9:12pm On Apr 19, 2020
U are still young. That's why u don't understand. Have you ever heard a saying like "why are u quarrelling like old couple. It's love that no one but them understand

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 19, 2020
chatinent:
You are self-opinionated.
LOL who does the OP think he is...Joe burden?
wink

1 Like

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by ayobarmy(m): 10:26pm On Apr 19, 2020
@Op, My mind tells me you're still single, Biko take this little advise with you as you Journey trough life ......

1...Marriage Is way beyond marrying your friend or not, because that your friend can turn out to be your worst Enemy within a day.....

2... Once your are ready for marriage, Just make sure you increase your level of tolerance from like 100% to 10000%.....

..... PEACE....

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by worworbabe: 10:39pm On Apr 19, 2020
Marry a reasonable human being whose goals align with yours.

12 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by worworbabe: 10:42pm On Apr 19, 2020
Richy4:
U are still young. That's why u don't understand. Have you ever heard a saying like "why are u quarrelling like old couple. It's love that no one but them understand

It's a lie. Love would make quarrelling difficult for you. It will nudge at your heart every moment of it that you won't want to ever put yourself or your partner in that situation again. If you quarrel often, what can you claim to love about the other person?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Richy4(m): 12:12am On Apr 20, 2020
worworbabe:

It's a lie. Love would make quarrelling difficult for you. It will nudge at your heart every moment of it that you won't want to ever put yourself or your partner in that situation again. If you quarrel often, what can you claim to love about the other person?

People tends to communicate in different ways. Just like every foreigner that first encountered two or more adult male Nigerians talking loudly the first thing that comes to their minds would be any seconds they gonna kill themselves or each other.
It could be that they were simply talking about soccer or something. What OP sees as fight might not be what was going on.. it might be their way of usual banter.. When a third party comes between them, that person might be surprised on how both of them might challenge him/her or even embarrass the person. .

Besides when you were talking about love being difficult for couples to indulge in misunderstanding, I hope that your argument was not based on the Mexican love movies that was flooding all over the world

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by smiliyB(f): 1:14am On Apr 20, 2020
Yustash001:
Even if you marry your friend....issues will still pop up

It's just natural..... the most important is for both of them to settle it out once it starts but in a situation where by both of them find it difficult to utter ordinary "sorry"

Na divorce go end am last last
issues may come up, yes but not the kind of one I experienced...disrespecting your partner in front of everyone, in a public transport for hours. We spent 5-7hours on the road. undecided

4 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by smiliyB(f): 1:16am On Apr 20, 2020
Richy4:

No, it isn't love anything...so irritating, beside I have parents too and they don't behave that way.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by smiliyB(f): 1:17am On Apr 20, 2020
worworbabe:

thank you for this... I don't understand their kind of love cheesy oh chim

1 Like

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:23am On Apr 20, 2020
Hmmmm.
Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by smiliyB(f): 1:27am On Apr 20, 2020
Modify- I decided to adjust the headline, that's my own opinion. My aim of creating this thread is for us to discuss and leave meaningful comments for our own good. Not to start debating on the story's headline.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:37am On Apr 20, 2020
worworbabe:

Abi.

They'll say it's because we're 'small' kids now and we fantasize a lot. We have nur seen life and cannot understand, not realizing that experiencing something do not make a thing right. You have experience but it's not a qualification for being the best teacher.

It's not a feeling love (because that word is bound to be taken out of context), it's an action love. Feelings are fickle. So when people claim to ''love" someone (according to their feelings), they'll still hurt the person and fight over and over a particular issue - because what do feels make right? Nothing. Your mindful thoughts will make you improve yourself, so less tension btw you and your partner.

An 'untainted/inexperienced' view of love can be an awesome thing also. Then it's a lot easier to work on other things in oneself (which translates to picking up vibes in people who are working on themselves, too.)

4 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:46am On Apr 20, 2020
Oyiboman69:
Marriage has no manual... What works for you can be a hell hole for another.

I'm just reacting to the hardline not that I read the story though.

Yeah. I think this is when it comes to specifics about our personalities.

But you can't deny that looking at successful marriages (please, don't ask me how to judge or define this; there's an ideal of what success is in a love marriage) there's a pattern you see play out. In every healthy marriages. There are common underlying factors.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:50am On Apr 20, 2020
smiliyB:
issues may come up, yes but not the kind of one I experienced...disrespecting your partner in front of everyone, in a public transport for hours. We spent 5-7hours on the road. undecided

True. There are some issues that are just completely not okay to have.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 20, 2020
It's a good rule of thumb, but at at the end of the day, love is a choice.
Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Richy4(m): 5:15am On Apr 20, 2020
smiliyB:
No, it isn't love anything...so irritating, beside I have parents too and they don't behave that way.

U are using your parent to define what love is or looks like right? I guess u are not ready for a debate. U have zeroed your mind on what you wanted to hear. So explaining further would be a waste of time.. just stick to what you believe.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by ststyreal(f): 10:31am On Apr 20, 2020
ayobarmy:
@Op, My mind tells me you're still single, Biko take this little advise with you as you Journey trough life ......

1...Marriage Is way beyond marrying your friend or not, because that your friend can turn out to be your worst Enemy within a day.....

2... Once your are ready for marriage, Just make sure you increase your level of tolerance from like 100% to 10000%.....

..... PEACE....

Correct Na so

2 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 20, 2020
The topic itself speaks volume of the "fear of the unknown." Fear is a breeder of present presumption and destroyer of the future.

My observation:

Each generation has its own vision, purpose, destiny, script, accomplishment, and history which must be actualised. The present generation seems to be most carnal, woeful, dreadful, sodomy, abominable, reprobate, abounding iniquities, and prophetic times of last days. Reason this generation is waxing cold in love, wisdom, understanding, knowledge, spirituality, prayer, fasting, mentality, counselling and guidance, discipline, manners, conduct, morality, law, commandments, principle, and carefulness which results to all round wreckages such as separation, divorce, uncontrollable temper and anger, hatred, abuse, intolerance, conspiracy, & disunity in many homes.

The fire against this generation is so huge and disastrous that it takes the strong to conquer, not by riches but double efforts of sustainance e.g WISDOM, ENDURANCE, SELFCONTROL, TOLERANCE, PRAYER, ETC.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by adexpa(m): 8:31pm On Apr 20, 2020
I think it is not about old age, it all start from the beginning. When couples are not bitter, when one party can easily accept that the other is not perfect(that he/she is bound to make mistakes), when individual can easily embrace one and other after apology and let go. It requires the input of the two parties involve........like someone said, no manual.... But bitterness is a big problem in marriage n you can shun that right from day one and not until old age

3 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by frozen70(f): 4:18am On Apr 23, 2020
smiliyB:

I have this experience with two married couple on two different occasions on my way back to East. So, I'm just wondering is it that they fell out of love or they never loved each other from the onset. What really happen? What can be done to keep the fire burning (I mean the fire of love oo cheesy) between couples even till old age.

I know you're desperate to know what happened, let me share with you. wink But it's really big sha, so try and be patient. I'll try my best and limit it too.

Before I start, let me talk about my parents a little. I never experience this with my parents, my dad left this world 2007, at the age 63years but I haven't seen where my parents talked back at each other in a disrespectful manner inside the house talk more of doing such outside our home. I was a teenager when my dad left, so it's not that I was a child during those times and I couldn't notice a hot argument. If there's any argument, they do settle it in peace. Okay, Back to the story!

On my way back to East from Lagos State, I came across one couple let say they may be in their late 50's or early 60's. We met on the same place I came to board a vehicle to travel back to my home. I immediately noticed how this couple talks back at each other, at first I thought may it's normal but it was consistent and I was really bordered on how their lives will be inside their house. I sat next to the woman and the husband was on a different row entirely.

The first case, the husband asked the wife if she needs anything, like if she'll eat food and the wife snapped back at him to leave her alone. She said, you have been dragging me up and down since morning and my legs are just paining. I told you let's come straight to this place but you refused and we have moved from ikorodu garage to ojota and finally we are back to that same place you refused to come at first. The husband shouted back at her and left because our bus was still loading. While the wife kept on complaining to herself, even though the husband wasn't there anymore.

I'm very happy she didn't turn to me to complain, I don't really have strength for such, it always drain my energy...Lol... I kukuma mind my business, I didn't even ask anything. This is just one of plenty nags inside the vehicle till we got to East. They were just like cat and rat living together embarassed from my little experience with them.

The second couple is just the exact case like the first couple and almost the same age bracket. Let me not drop excess write up on it. So, after my second experience with this couple, I remembered the first couple and I'm just wondering what is happening Please marry your friends, marry someone you can leave the rest of your life with. Don't just marry because you want to marry and age is no longer on your side. Back to the question I asked earlier, please drop meaningful comments on how couples can sustain their love for each other even till old age. Thanks everyone!

Be good to your spouse, leave old age to think for itself

3 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by worworbabe: 10:30am On Apr 24, 2020
Richy4:

People tends to communicate in different ways. Just like every foreigner that first encountered two or more adult male Nigerians talking loudly the first thing that comes to their minds would be any seconds they gonna kill themselves or each other.
It could be that they were simply talking about soccer or something. What OP sees as fight might not be what was going on.. it might be their way of usual banter.. When a third party comes between them, that person might be surprised on how both of them might challenge him/her or even embarrass the person. .

Besides when you were talking about love being difficult for couples to indulge in misunderstanding, I hope that your argument was not based on the Mexican love movies that was flooding all over the world

Based on Mexican movies? I don't even know what that is.
It's obvious you have not experienced love, True love.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience: How Can Couples Sustain Their Love Even In Old Age? by smiliyB(f): 10:37am On Apr 24, 2020
Richy4:

U are using your parent to define what love is or looks like right? I guess u are not ready for a debate. U have zeroed your mind on what you wanted to hear. So explaining further would be a waste of time.. just stick to what you believe.
Of course, if I don't use my parents that I know very well and should be my role model, is it yours I will use

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edo Man Uses Juju To Search For N2K His Wife Stole From His Pocket.(Screenshots) / She Divorced Her Husband For Wasting Her Life Savings Of N4.5million / Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets (4 Boys) After Years Of Childlessness (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.