Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines (62802 Views)

Ifeanyi: Davido’s Nanny, Cook May Face Charges For Negligence / Armed Gangsters Rob Homes With POS In Lagos & Ogun During Lockdown / Policeman Seen With POS, Asking A Passenger To Bring His ATM Card (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by bibiking7(m): 11:20am On Apr 22, 2020
Superjazz:
You can't blame the banks when you are robbed you report to the bank the bank trace the account into which the frivolent transaction took place and you find a way of tracking the suspect with police help.but Nigeria police and lack of commitment na 5 and 6

I once heard of a guy that was robbed and his ATM card was collected along with his pin. Those thieves went on to rob other people but rather than collect any other ATM card, they just made other victims transfer into the first victims account.
So any attempt to trace the transaction will lead to the first victim.

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Mac2016(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:
This is a no brainer issue that requires a simple fix.

All funds paid or transferred to a POS linked account should be made unavailable or kept in lien for 3 working days, will only be cleared for withdrawal or transfer after 3 working days.

That’s how’s it done in some advanced countries, even in some countries it 7 working days, some 1 month.

I don’t know why simple things are so difficult in our country.
This article states that use the POS for confirmation of pin not that they debit your card with POS. My suggestion is this..
Any ATM whose pin was check without debit via a POS point should blocked from making physical cash withdrawal for minimum of 8hrs..
They shd fine tune this Idea and plug loopholes that might be in this my idea.. It will be a good one

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by easzypeaszy(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2020
achymmania:
who told you banks don’t give out pos He be like say you dey new to Nigeria Banking system.
dey gv but d procedure wl almost Mk u reject it aftr givin u... Just try to gt POS n see.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by easzypeaszy(m): 11:24am On Apr 22, 2020
achymmania:
who told you banks don’t give out pos He be like say you dey new to Nigeria Banking system.
its easier fr bank to gv u loan Dan POS... But fintech can gv u loan within somtims
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by olayems90: 11:24am On Apr 22, 2020
Nawa o
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by dejol88: 11:24am On Apr 22, 2020
Everything is always seem difficult in this country ! In some countries, if even a ATM cardholder tries to withdraw money in variation to known pattern of withdrawal money will not be dispensed except you call the customer care.

The truth is banks are not willing to invest in security to protect depositors fund.
Data analysis with deep learning solves most of this crime.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by InvertedHammer: 11:25am On Apr 22, 2020
/
Why are simple things complicated in Nigeria?

POS or not, the money was transferred to an account. The owner of the receiving account is liable and must provide the needed information on everyone with access to the account.

In financial crime, investigators follow the money. POS transactions have digital prints all over and are easily traceable.

\

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by fastlane84: 11:30am On Apr 22, 2020
nairavsdollars:
na so. every dick, tom and harry have access to ATM. even police on checkpoints

goat that police is checking drivers licence
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Xisnin(m): 11:31am On Apr 22, 2020
bigtt76:
It would be a bit difficult because the POS does not initiate network connection before confirming your pin and so no way for the bank to know.

It is only after the pin has been confirmed that the POS makes a network call first to the POS service provider for transaction validation. They then post the request to their 'middleman' bank (acquirer bank) who now contacts the card scheme owners (Mastercard/Visa or Verve) to debit card owner. The card scheme operator then contacts your bank to pass on the debit.

I don't know how POS transaction works but it will be a security nightmare for a POS to confirm pin without network authorization.

I was thinking from the angle of general computer authorization security technologies which I
believe was adapted to POS terminals.

Imagine I collected a new card today and took it to an old POS stand.
How would the machine "know" the correct pin without being told by my bank(network communication)?

Perhaps, the process you describe applies to magnetic stripe cards which have been largely phased out in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Xisnin(m): 11:35am On Apr 22, 2020
easzypeaszy:
its easier fr bank to gv u loan Dan POS... But fintech can gv u loan within somtims
You are not familiar with Nigerian banks.
Some have large dedicated teams which try to convince people with small businesses to accept POS
especially to render small banking services.

As for loans, that is not another story.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:36am On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:

All funds paid or transferred to a POS linked account should be made unavailable or kept in lien for 3 working days, will only be cleared for withdrawal or transfer after 3 working days.

That’s how’s it done in some advanced countries, even in some countries it 7 working days, some 1 month.

Money isn't being paid to the POS. They only use it to verity the pin.

It's right there in the article.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by gosmoney(m): 11:39am On Apr 22, 2020
easzypeaszy:
Dey don't have sense... Banks don't gv POS to anybody..
Blame OPO and PAGA dat gives POS to anybdy on d street
but dey go to bank to register it isn't it.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by stven(m): 11:41am On Apr 22, 2020
For every transactions there's a data recorded on a database. So the bank shouldn't come and tell us they keep no record of transactions carried out on a POS...
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by ppogba: 11:43am On Apr 22, 2020
bibiking7:

I once heard of a guy that was robbed and his ATM card was collected along with his pin. Those thieves went on to rob other people but rather than collect any other ATM card, they just made other victims transfer into the first victims account.
So any attempt to trace the transaction will lead to the first victim.

That is the essence of lodging a report with the police "immediately" you are robbed. No matter how small or minute a thing is that is taken off you during robbery, lodge a report i mmediately.

If the guy in your short documentary did the same, he will have less stress with the police.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by nairavsdollars(f): 11:53am On Apr 22, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/5620739/policeman-seen-pos-asking-passenger

ayobamiakinrind:

Stop misleading people, I don't know what led to the situation in that pix but that's a PVC reader, not P.O.s machine.
read well before commenting
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 22, 2020
I think you can have two different pins; one for POS and another for ATM. In such instance, your POS pin will not alow transactions on ATMs

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Goalnaldo(m): 12:12pm On Apr 22, 2020
Taye4j:

What you wrote is not feasible, legally speaking, it is not correct to withhold people's funds for some days without any legal order from the court.. Try that in Nigeria and you will spend your days in court.

Moreso, for those who are into agency banking, which I believe we have a good number of youths in our society engaged in it. They use the funds in their accounts for their day to day transactions . Placing a lien on such accounts will put a strain on their economic activity.

Proper tracking of those fraudulent POS transactions can be done by getting relevant information on such accounts from the bank by the police.
exactly what I wanted to tell him but I know someone must say it that's the reason I kept scrolling.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Godwin616: 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2020
Enyimbamercedes:
As a business owner, if you need a POS, banks will be asking for all sorts of requirements but Armed robbers will be using pos!!!

How is it not possible to track the funds to the account that the POS is linked to

Bank staff are complicit in this
They only use the POS to verify your pin. Mm of for any transaction. How is that the fault of the Banks. It is possible the POS machine has been stolen from someone or gotten through another source. They know the transaction is traceable, so they will not be so daft as to be using it for any transaction.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by uvie66: 12:18pm On Apr 22, 2020
EzzyCarter:

Lol. Brilliant question. I have no idea grin
What can't you buy in Nigeria if you have money

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by kingjomezy(m): 12:19pm On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:

Are you studying law?
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Lufthansa: 12:22pm On Apr 22, 2020
"How these machines get into the hands of criminals is what I don’t know. Maybe the PoS are stolen from these companies, maybe these PoS are being used by fraudulent persons – it is what should be investigated."

Even those POS terminals got stolen from those it was primarily issued to. Assuming they (POS) were truly stolen, who is/are behind linking those POS terminals to the accounts of these criminal elements?

If they were truely stolen without having accounts to which it was linked changed, proceeds through it goes into the initial company's/individual's account and not into these criminal's account.

So the question we should be asking ourselves is who are those insiders helping these criminals linked their account to stolen POS.

If we truly want to fight this, the government can have all POS in the country decommissioned and have whoever possesses one re-register it with his/her banks.

nairavsdollars:

https://www.independent.ng/banks-get-knocks-over-use-of-pos-terminal-by-robbers/
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by mudility(m): 12:22pm On Apr 22, 2020
I think you guys did not read the post to understand the method the criminals are using. The pos is not being used to withdraw or transfer the victims money but used to confirm the pin then they will proceed to the nearest ATM to withdrew from the stolen card.

So with the above the bank can’t be held responsible because the transaction from the victims card will only show atm withdrawals without any trace to a pos.

The solution to the above is simple if our bank will be willing to implement this suggestion am about to give.

Our banking system should develop a kind of login history sent to our banking portal anytime we slot our ATM card in any device like when you login your email to a new device you see the notification. This notification from the login of our card history will be seen in our bank account whenever we go make any complaint in the bank. By this they will have the pos details and time the card was longing.

Like this comment If you believe the above solution will work.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by nairavsdollars(f): 12:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
i've heard of cases when people enter "one chance" buses and the robbers bring out POS and transfer their money before pushing them out. It is still happening now
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Rawhumper(m): 12:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
If The Bank really wants,it can The source of The pos....its so easy

bigtt76:
It would be a bit difficult because the POS does not initiate network connection before confirming your pin and so no way for the bank to know.

It is only after the pin has been confirmed that the POS makes a network call first to the POS service provider for transaction validation. They then post the request to their 'middleman' bank (acquirer bank) who now contacts the card scheme owners (Mastercard/Visa or Verve) to debit card owner. The card scheme operator then contacts your bank to pass on the debit.

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by uvie66: 12:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
Cholls:
my brother stop acting intelligent in ignorance. Read the write-up.

excerpt:

" The process is usually the same. The robbers break into
a house at night or any time of the day. And with
guns held to their heads, victims are ordered to
furnish their ATM cards as well as disclose their pin
numbers, which are then confirmed with a PoS device
before the cards are taken away. The robbers then
proceed to withdraw as much cash as possible before
daybreak when the incident is reported and cash with­
drawal stopped."
last last the only way to resolve this type of problem is to only put emergency money in your account, what you can afford to lose. Leave the rest in a savings account that is not connected to any Bank card.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Godwin616: 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2020
Validated:
I think most respondents missed the point. The robbers use POS machine for pin confirmation. Banks should move a step further by ensuring that ATM are:
1. Made inaccesible from dusk to dawn
2. Withdrawals during such times should require authetication token obtainable by biometric means. Most ATMs have finger print recognition botton but our laziness does no make us activate it.
3. POS should be made to store data about any card slotted for which a PIN was entered
4. Commercial Banks and Other POS issuers should require holders to submit electronic activities reports on monthly basis failing which such machines are blocked
5. The Police should rise to the occasion. This is the simplest case to crack.
The security agents should be trained with modern technology tools to track cyber crime.
I also believe most banks have CCTV cameras at the ATM terminals. They should make use of this to track the criminals.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by JayPeeOham: 12:34pm On Apr 22, 2020
nairavsdollars:
how did POS even get into the hands of armed robbers?

Very brilliant question!!

Because these POS are tied to a particular account and with that they can get the identity of whoever owns the account!!

If it wasn't the account holder who used the POS for the robbery, then he/she should be able to provide who did!

But alas, this is where you get to know that there is an insider or insiders from the bank working with these criminals!!

How can you explain the fact that transaction histories and account statements cannot be accounted for by the bank.SMH

I won't be surprised surprised if all the POS are of the same bank!!!!
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by adekennis(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:

Nigerians are so dubious that we would still take advantage of that..Do you know some people can still go back to the bank after making purchase with their card by someone else and file claim that it wasn't them and they want refund..
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Lufthansa: 12:47pm On Apr 22, 2020
Bro it all still boils down to failure in the Nigerian system. Every of those devices has trackable features just like phones got IMEI. In saner climes, data (BVN, Phone number e.t.c) of those to whom every bit of the devices is issued are stored against device IMEI with the CBN or an agency of the government responsible for financial/Identity management. If this is in place, even if anyone of these devices gets stolen from person to whom it was issued, it can be easily reported and decomissioned.

Please let's leave out OPO, PAGA, OPAY in this. The government is the culprit here for it has no strict regulations/guidelines/measures set in place to checkmate and control activities such as this.

easzypeaszy:
Dey don't have sense... Banks don't gv POS to anybody..
Blame OPO and PAGA dat gives POS to anybdy on d street
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Princewell2012(m): 12:52pm On Apr 22, 2020
nwannemous:
. They don't Rob with the POS, they only use it to confirm that you gave them your correct pin number. They will proceed to any nearest ATM machine to withdraw.

Is verifing of a pin not a transaction?

when ever you input ur details in any banking device even if it is your mobile device and it was able to give u ur desired imformations. The bank have a way to trace you, or the device owner, because ur information or the information of the device you used are already intalled in their data base.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Dollabiz: 12:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Missing Adewura Bello Found Dead In A Canal In Lagos / Oyelowo Fawas: “American Prostitute” Bags 12 months Imprisonment In Ilorin / Nigerian Lady Face Jail For Wrongly Accusing Two Men Of Rape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.