Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. (5508 Views)

Bitcoin reassures Mmesoma of scholarship abroad,Soludo takes her to psychologist / Nine Types Of Intelligence / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by dazzlingd(m): 1:14pm On Apr 22, 2020
Social intelligence rules the world.

The ones with IQ work for the social intelligent ones
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by tempel(m): 1:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
Nice piece. Let all work on our quotient.
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Lamasta(m): 2:52pm On Apr 22, 2020
All Quotients is important whether Intelligent, Emotional or Social
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by DayDreamer05(m): 3:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
We learn everyday...
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by wizrose(m): 3:05pm On Apr 22, 2020
ExAngel007:
Dear all,

According to psychologist, there are three types of intelligence. Viz:

*Intelligence Quotient (IQ)*
*Emotional Quotient (EQ)*
*Social Quotient (SQ)*

1. *Intelligence Quotient (IQ)*: this is the measure of your comprehension ability", solve maths; memorize things and recall subject matters.

*2. Emotional Quotient (EQ)*: this is the measure of your ability to maintain peace with others; keep to time; be responsible; be honest; respect boundaries; be humble, genuine and considerate.

3. *Social Quotient (SQ):* this is the measure of your ability to build a network of friends and maintain it over a long period of time.

People that have higher EQ and SQ tend to go farther in life than those with high IQ but low EQ and SQ. Most schools capitalize in improving IQ level while EQ and SQ are played down.

A man of high IQ can end up being employed by a man of high EQ and SQ even though he has an average IQ.

Your EQ represents your character; your SQ represents your charisma. Give in to habits that will improve these three Qs but more especially your EQ and SQ.

EQ and SQ make one manage better than the other.

Pls don't teach children only to be IQ but also to be EQ and SQ.

Now there is a 4th one :

A new paradigm
4. *The Adversity Quotient (AQ)*: the measure of your ability to go through a rough patch in life and come out without losing your mind. AQ determines who will give up in face of troubles, who will abandon their family or who will consider suicide.

To parents.

Expose children to other areas of life than academic. They should adore manual work (never use work as a form of punishment), sport and art. Develop their EQ, SQ and AQ. They should become multifaceted human beings able to do things independently of the parents.

Finally, do not prepare the road for the children.

Prepare the children for the road.

Stay SAFE.

Observe Social Distancing.

Thank you.

lalasticlala

i think you forget to add Corona intelligence �
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by jom28gy(m): 3:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
Good
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by OKUCHI11(m): 4:25pm On Apr 22, 2020
ExAngel007:
Dear all,

*Social Quotient (SQ)*

1. *Intelligence Quotient (IQ)*: this is the measure of your comprehension ability", solve maths; memorize things and recall subject matters.

*2. Emotional Quotient (EQ)*: this is the measure of your ability to maintain peace with others; keep to time; be responsible; be honest; respect boundaries; be humble, genuine and considerate.

3. *Social Quotient (SQ):* this is the measure of your ability to build a network of friends and maintain it over a long period of time.

People that have higher EQ and SQ tend to go farther in life than those with high IQ but low EQ and SQ. Most schools capitalize in improving IQ level while EQ and SQ are played down.

A man of high IQ can end up being employed by a man of high EQ and SQ even though he has an average IQ.

Your EQ represents your character; your SQ represents your charisma. Give in to habits that will improve these three Qs but more especially your EQ and SQ.

Now there is a 4th one :

A new paradigm
4. *The Adversity Quotient (AQ)*: the measure of your ability to go through a rough patch in life and come out without losing your mind. AQ determines who will give up in face of troubles, who will abandon their family or who will consider suicide.

To parents.

Expose children to other areas of life than academic. They should adore manual work (never use work as a form of punishment), sport and art. Develop their EQ, SQ and AQ. They should become multifaceted human beings able to do things independently of the parents.

Stay SAFE.

Thank you.

lalasticlala
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by greatestman(m): 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
DriggityDre:
Exangel007, you were making sense till you said this;

I totally disagree.

Who is your President? Check your IQ and correlate.
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by DriggityDre: 6:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
greatestman:

Who is your President? Check your IQ and correlate.
So being a president is your own definition of going far in life undecided
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by COdeGenesis: 6:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
I beg to differ. How can someone who is not intelligent know to how react emotionally and build relationships socially. I believe if onr has a high IQ he certainly has a high EQ and SQ

1 Like

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by alphaRego01(m): 6:25pm On Apr 22, 2020
ExAngel007:
Dear all,

*Social Quotient (SQ)*

Now there is a 4th one :

A new paradigm

To parents.

Stay SAFE.

Thank you.

lalasticlala

To much sense will lead u into trouble.I hia say CIA de find u
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by greatestman(m): 6:42pm On Apr 22, 2020
DriggityDre:

So being a president is your own definition of going far in life undecided

So being a president is not going far in life?
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Bamz(m): 6:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
My kind of content. grin
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by olanikeh: 7:09pm On Apr 22, 2020
Nice read, how do one measure the EQ and SQ?

ExAngel007:
Dear all,

*Social Quotient (SQ)*

Now there is a 4th one :

A new paradigm

To parents.

Stay SAFE.

Thank you.

lalasticlala
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Bamz(m): 7:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
COdeGenesis:
I beg to differ. How can someone who is not intelligent know to how react emotionally and build relationships socially. I believe if onr has a high IQ he certainly has a high EQ and SQ

I'm a PM practitioner and emotional intelligence is at the core of a host of soft critical skills you can think of from decision making, to openness, assertiveness, communication etc.

High IQ is an innate ability (cognitive intelligence) and it can't be improved so much over the course of one's life. If you're smart at 18, chances are that you'll still be smart at 60.

EQ on the other hand is much more flexible and can be learned. EQ simply means the ability to identify and understand emotions in yourself and others, and your ability to use this awareness to manage your behaviour and your relationships with others over the course of time.

I'm not familiar with SQ but it seems like a subset of EQ from my definition.

The motto of my elementary school says "excellence in learning and character". You see you can be technically adept and have domain intelligence etc but if you have low EQ, you may not go far.

So let's paint this picture. You're a functional manager at your company.

If you have high EQ, people would say: Code genesis embodies patience and understanding and doesn't react but responds appropriately during team meetings because he's an active listener. He deals with difficult situations with tact and has a high standard of conduct. He separates logic from emotions and he's very sensitive to the needs of his team.

Even if you have IQ, but low EQ, here's what people would say:

In stressful situations, codegenesis goes into panic mode and this has an effect on his team. He becomes increasingly impatient, and makes hasty decisions. His verbal outbursts sends the entire team into that caution mode which impacts the team negatively. Even with all of this, the team appreciates his skillset and technical adeptness but wish he could be more proactive during stressful situations.

I hope this helps. A lot of people think EQ is an abstract concept, but it's proven to be a major criteria for top performance.

Cc: ExAngel007 Professorcplus

2 Likes

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by COdeGenesis: 7:46pm On Apr 22, 2020
Bamz:

I'm a PM practitioner and emotional intelligence is at the core of a host of soft critical skills you can think of from decision making, to openness, assertiveness, communication etc.

High IQ is an innate ability (cognitive intelligence) and it can't be improved so much over the course of one's life. If you're smart at 18, chances are that you'll still be smart at 60.

EQ on the other hand can is much more flexible and can be learned. EQ simply means the ability to identify and understand your emotions and other people, and your ability to use that awareness to manage your behaviour and your relationships with others over the course of time.

I'm not familiar with SQ but it seems like a subset of EQ from my definition.

The motto of my elementary school says "excellence in learning and character". You see you can be technically adept and have domain intelligence etc but if you have low EQ, you may not go far.

So let's paint this picture. You're a functional manager at your company.

If you have high EQ, people would say: Code genesis embodies patience and understanding and doesn't react but responds appropriately during team meetings because he's an active listener. He deals with difficult situations with tact and has a high standard of conduct. He separates logic from emotions and he's very sensitive to the needs of his team.

Even if you have IQ, but low EQ, here's what people would say:

In stressful situations, codegenesis goes into panic mode and this has an effect on his team. He becomes increasingly impatient, and makes hasty decisions. His verbal outbursts sends the entire team into that caution mode which impacts the team negatively. Even with all of this, the team appreciates his skillset and technical adeptness but wish he could be more proactive during stressful situations.

I hope this helps. A lot of people think EQ is an abstract concept, but it's proven to be a major criteria for top performance.

Cc: ExAngel007 Professorcplus

My thought is that someone needs some level of intelligence to be able to properly handle emotions. If you are not intelligent or have a certain level of IQ you cant be proactive in handling people. Napoleon, Julius caesar, aristocle , albert einstein ,Nelson Mandela, Tesla these are classic cases of people with intelligence and high EQ. The truth is that EQ is an apex of IQ and it is based on one's exposure to certain social circumstances.

1 Like

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by rexefe(m): 7:52pm On Apr 22, 2020
Nonsense
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Bamz(m): 8:26pm On Apr 22, 2020
COdeGenesis:

My thought is that someone needs some level of intelligence to be able to properly handle emotions. If you are not intelligent or have a certain level of IQ you cant be proactive in handling people. Napoleon, Julius caesar, aristocle , albert einstein ,Nelson Mandela, Tesla these are classic cases of people with intelligence and high EQ. The truth is that EQ is an apex of IQ and it is based on one's exposure to certain social circumstances.

You do not seem to understand what I'm driving at or you did not understand my definition of
EQ. My definition of EQ isn't my opinion. It's what is it is and I'll blow it further.

1. Self awareness - identifying and understanding your emotion.

Any dumb person can sit down, and journal what triggers them

2. Self management - Managing those emotions you've identified

Think of happiness in the order of intensity from high to low: ecstatic, cheerful and pleased. The stronger your feelings get, the more they're able to control you. A dumb person will over time know his triggers once he's aware of them

3. Social awareness - identifying and understanding the emotions in others

This is where empathy and being sensitive comes. You don't need to Aristostle to tell you not to scold a team member in front of the entire team.

4. Relationship management - this is the application of the earlier points in fostering relationships

There's no correlation that I know of between EQ and IQ as I believe they're of distinct constructs. Your attempt to interconnect would further confuse you. The IQ of most of the people you mentioned were not specifically measured but because they were so successful you're now attributing their success to high IQ.

Only one thing is certain, they had more than average EQ and if not the case, they're outliers. The argument for the former can be seen in how a 3rd class graduate would manage an empire and employ the best brains, or how Kante has more value than Pogba even with identical talent. Seeing at a club house the next day after a loss isn't exactly something that would thrill your coach. Now a player with more than decent EQ would know how his actions affect his team and coach.

To boot, having high IQ and high EQ isn't mutually exclusive. The existence of one doesn't preclude the other.
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by COdeGenesis: 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2020
Bamz:

You do not seem to understand what I'm driving at or you did not understand my definition of
EQ. My definition of EQ isn't my opinion. It's what is it is and I'll blow it further.

1. Self-awareness - identifying and understanding your emotions.

2. Self-management - Managing those emotions you've identified

Think of happiness in the order of intensity from high to low: ecstatic, cheerful, and pleased. The stronger your feelings get, the more they're able to control you. A dumb person will over time know his triggers once he's aware of them

This is where empathy and being sensitive comes. You don't need Aristotle to tell you not to scold a team member in front of the entire team.

4. Relationship management - this is the application of the earlier points in fostering relationships

There's no correlation that I know of between EQ and IQ as I believe they're of distinct constructs. Your attempt to interconnect would further confuse you. The IQ of most of the people you mentioned was not specifically measured but because they were so successful you're now attributing their success to high IQ.

Only one thing is certain, they had more than average EQ and if not the case, they're outliers. The argument for the former can be seen in how a 3rd class graduate would manage an empire and employ the best brains, or how Kante has more value than Pogba even with identical talent.

To boot, having high IQ and high EQ isn't mutually exclusive. The existence of one doesn't preclude the other.

I think you are wrong. I do admire the way you took your time to construct and put forward your points. However, intelligence and emotion go hand in hand. IQ and EQ have some kind of connection. Like I said you must have some level of intelligence to be able to manage your awareness, manage relationships. My argument is that these qualities you just stated can be simulated or even modeled using a mathematical model. When modeled, you will get to see that one of the conditions/factors for a high EQ is IQ. Furthermore, research shows that Napoleon was an intellect, with IQ and high EQ. The same goes for other war generals. Being successful in business doesnt mean one has high IQ and EQ, you should also know that a 3rd class student xan have a very high IQ, as examination is subject to lots of conditons so you cant use the grade of a student to prorate the IQ of a student
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by professore(m): 9:41pm On Apr 22, 2020
Nice one
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:41pm On Apr 22, 2020
gift2xl:
Just imagining where PMB FALLS INTO.
He's deficient is all. cheesy
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:45pm On Apr 22, 2020
Here on Nigeria the only intelligence we recognize is class room intelligence which is not a true measure of intelligence as there are so many factors that affect one's classroom performance. That's why our country is not growing. If you can pass exams or get a first class, they keep you at the back not minding what you can offer.
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Bamz(m): 9:46pm On Apr 22, 2020
COdeGenesis

I think you are wrong. I do admire the way you took your time to construct and put forward your points.
Purely an opinion, I respect that.

However, intelligence and emotion go hand in hand.
If you're referring to emotion as EQ, this statement is false and it shows you still did not understand or grasp my initial definition. Yes, EQ and IQ are both forms of intelligence.

IQ and EQ have some kind of connection. Like I said you must have some level of intelligence to be able to manage your awareness, manage relationships. My argument is that these qualities you just stated can be simulated or even modeled using a mathematical model. When modeled, you will get to see that one of the conditions/factors for a high EQ is IQ.
Your 2nd sentence is purely a semantics issue, I said earlier that "Yes, EQ and IQ are both forms of intelligence."
Refer to my earlier post: "A lot of people think EQ is an abstract concept, but it's proven to be a major criterion for top performance." You lost me when you began to mention simulation with math models. EQ is a lot of psychology and behavioural sciences. Mind and body interaction and how they lead to our actions are all part of EQ. EQ even brings your personality into the frame - extroversion and introversion.
Until you bring evidence of this paragraph, you have not proven anything to respond to my "There's no correlation that I know of between EQ and IQ as I believe they're of distinct constructs."

Furthermore, research shows that Napoleon was an intellect, with IQ and high EQ. The same goes for other war generals.
Refer to my previous post: "The IQ of most of the people you mentioned was not specifically measured but because they were so successful you're now attributing their success to high IQ. Only one thing is certain, they had more than average EQ and if not the case, they're outliers."
I also said "To boot, having high IQ and high EQ isn't mutually exclusive. The existence of one doesn't preclude the other."
I believe my statement captured your rejoinder appropriately but I would appreciate if you could explain how IQ was measured in those days and give me his IQ score. Thank you.
PS. I've read the book: Napoleon on Project Management: Timeless Lessons in Planning, Execution, and Leadership grin
Difference between a leader and a boss = EQ

Being successful in business doesn't mean one has high IQ and EQ, you should also know that a 3rd class student xan have a very high IQ, as examination is subject to lots of conditions so you cant use the grade of a student to prorate the IQ of a student
Perfect. I agree. In the long term, you can tell a brilliant student who has high cognitive intelligence from one who doesn't have. Those conditions that you mentioned would not be constant in the long term.

Addition:
1. Stop seeing it as O or 1. You don't have one or you have one. I need to explain this clearly so you don't misunderstand me.
There could low, mediocre or high EQ. Same applies to IQ. And it's possible to have any combination of these.

2. I don't know if you work in the corporate environment yet, maybe you would better get a hang of what I'm saying but I like to use football. You see that Inter Milan team of 2010. I love them a lot, they would do anything for Mourinho. Mourinho did not have a stellar footballing career but what made him stand out? Fast forward to recent times with Thiery Henry, a well-decorated player, logical thinking would presume he would be the next Pep, isn't it?
Does social skills (EQ) viz. discipline, patience, communication, man-management, and teamwork make one a good coach?
Does traditional intelligence/knowledge of the sport not matter in becoming a good coach?

Back to my initial statement: A lot of people think EQ is an abstract concept, but it's proven to be a major criterion for top performance.
PS. 'MAJOR' NOT the 'ONLY'

1 Like

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Tedpgrass: 10:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
ExAngel007:
Dear all,

*Social Quotient (SQ)*

To parents.

Stay SAFE.
shocked

Thank you.

lalasticlala

Nice
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by seanwilliam(m): 11:09pm On Apr 22, 2020
What of pq? I mean pussy quotient... na that one I get 100 ..
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by professore(m): 12:05am On Apr 23, 2020
Bamz:

1. Self awareness - identifying and understanding your emotion.

2. Self management - Managing those emotions you've identified

Think of happiness in the order of intensity from high to low: ecstatic, cheerful and pleased. The stronger your feelings get, the more they're able to control you. A dumb person will over time know his triggers once he's aware of them

This is where empathy and being sensitive comes. You don't need to Aristostle to tell you not to scold a team member in front of the entire team.

There's no correlation that I know of between EQ and IQ as I believe they're of distinct constructs. Your attempt to interconnect would further confuse you. The IQ of most of the people you mentioned were not specifically measured but because they were so successful you're now attributing their success to high IQ.

Only one thing is certain, they had more than average EQ and if not the case, they're outliers. The argument for the former can be seen in how a 3rd class graduate would manage an empire and employ the best brains, or how Kante has more value than Pogba even with identical talent. Seeing at a club house the next day after a loss isn't exactly something that would thrill your coach. Now a player with more than decent EQ would know how his actions affect his team and coach.

I must say you are good at what you are teaching. You know it (it is obvious going by your points and counters).

1 Like

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by gift2xl: 7:54am On Apr 23, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
He's deficient is all. cheesy

grin
Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 30, 2020
COdeGenesis:

The fact is that IQ remains the only factual form of intelligence.. Most intellectuals places a higher emphasis on their thinking domain, rather than their feeling senses, which enables them to find solutions more quickly instead of sympathising with the person who has a problem. Practical intelligence is learned from the family and social environment one finds himself and also if the individual wishes to develop his Affect senses. A classic example is Abraham Lincoln who's revered for his excellent human relation ability and was referred to as "A plain man of the people, an extraordinary fortune attended him. He offered no shining qualities at the first encounter; he did not offend by superiority. He had a face and manner which disarmed suspicion, which inspired confidence, which confirmed good-will. He was a man without vices. Blessed with a supernatural intelligence as evidence in his will to self learn law. His personality type "The INTP" which is basically the most self absorbed type of all personalities. What I'm saying is basically that EQ isn't really what it's called out to be, less intellectual people seem to have a need to develope and manipulate social conventions to suit their personal gratification through some antisocial behaviors like bullying class clowning, groupthink territorial domineerig and sarcasm, to carve out a niche for themselves in the society, and as there are more of them in the society they set it as a standard for all others, social intelligence is a joke, this I believe includes the need to know all the scoop and what's popping in every other person's live like who's dating who's hitting bla bla bla. This is the societal grapevine of gossip and rumor mongering. Essentially keeping tabs on people unessential.. Most iq gifted individuals I have come across are honest and have a higher sense of morality than is generally expected of the individual, most are not afraid to argue for the truth even if it's going to hurt their own cause.
In memory of Mark Twain, Nikolai Tesla, Abraham Lincoln, Leonardo davinci, George Washington, JP Morgan, Isaac Newton, Thomas Edison, William James Siddis, Galileo Copernicus, Socrates, Pablo, soren Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Albert Eisten. And all the misjudged Intellectuals living in a less than mediocre world.

1 Like

Re: According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. by PolymathAdeoye(m): 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2021
Thanks for sharing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Study And Have A Distinction In Biology Exam / 11 People You Wont Believe Exist / See The Beautiful Girl That Emerge As the Best SUG Official Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.