Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? (1790 Views)

After 10 Years At A Federal University. I NEED HELP. / My Husband Wants Us To Relocate To The Village / Nigeria Introduces New Federal Marriage Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Daisy101(m): 5:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
Should we relocate to Lokoja, Kogi State for a Federal Job?

My husband and I have been in a dilemma between moving to Lokoja or remaining where we are. A Federal government job offer recently came up in Lokoja for my husband with a slightly better salary but we already have somethings going on for us were we are now (a local government area in another North Central state). My husband works with the government here while I'm running my own business. We have kids.

My worry now is that I don't know how Lokoja environment is. Moving over there means starting life afresh. We have no one there. I'm worried about what I'll be working on there, the social life. I don't know if there are good schools for the kids.

Please, is there anyone who has an idea of life in Lokoja. Is it worth the risk of leaving everything we have here behind? What job opportunities are there for graduates like me? Is Lokoja a nice place to be in?

I need advice, Please.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by graciamore(f): 5:32pm On Apr 22, 2020
Daisy101:

My husband and I have been in a dilemma between moving to Lokoja or remaining where we are. A Federal government job offer recently came up in Lokoja for my husband with a slightly better salary but we already have somethings going on for us were we are now (a local government area in the North East). My husband works with the government here while I'm running my own business. We have kids.

My worry now is that I don't know how Lokoja environment is. Moving over there means starting life afresh. We have no one there. I'm worried about what I'll be working on there, the social life. I don't know if there are good schools for the kids.

Please, is there anyone who has an idea of life in Lokoja. Is it worth the risk of leaving everything we have here behind? What job opportunities are there for graduates like me? Is Lokoja a nice place to be in?

I need advice, Please.
lokoja is a very good place except for the heat, there are also good schools there.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Daisy101(m): 5:34pm On Apr 22, 2020
graciamore:
lokoja is a very good place except for the heat, there are also good schools there.

Thank you.
How about good accommodation?
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by graciamore(f): 5:36pm On Apr 22, 2020
Daisy101:

Thank you.
Yes Yes there are very good accommodation that's affordable istayed there for two years with my kids
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by meetme01: 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2020
It's a dilemma ma'am.

Don't look at the pay. Sometimes money is insignificant to one's life and peace of mind. Lots of people are in Lagos you think are doing fine. They are struggling. Not because they ain't working but expenses and bills is killing them. They can't go back home either.

Look at the future of the kids. How it would affect them academically, psychologically and mentally. I don't know their ages but with your post, they seem to be in pry and secondary level respectively. If that is the case, let them be your priority in your final decision

Prayer does it. Seek the face of your creator. He would definitely guide you. Sometimes changing environment is for our good and sometimes, its otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Oluromantic: 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2020
Stay back and face your business. Let ur husband go for the offer. He shd be coming home and you shd be paying him a visit in lokoja once in a while.

After he's spent some time there and you paid him visits, you guys would have studied the terrains and made some contacts so you can join him there later with the kids.

But both of you don't hop there at once.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by 1030(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2020
Lokojo is far better than any capital in North East,U wont have problem with the hot weather because same appear in North East.

Nice private schools are available for kids,state polytechnic and Federal university are in lokoja with less than one hour drive to Salem university which is private.

As for your job, teaching will be for a start.

3 Likes

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by ayeesha: 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2020
You will enjoy lokoja cos it's generally peaceful and quiet. Accommodation is affordable with good schools too. The weather can be very extreme whether it's hot or cold but you'll get used to it wink. Food is also very cheap depending on seasons cos I send for certain food items from home. ( popsie lives there). Can't say much about social life cos I was an indoor person while at home. All in all, cost of living in lokoja is okay especially given the federal job your husband has gotten.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 22, 2020
DON'T GO PLEASE.

Life isn't always about money any longer especially when family is involved. The grass is always greener at the other side so be careful.

You have a great relationship with your husband and children, you have a good business going, you have a good social life.

Why do you want to spoil that for a new job that you are not even sure is fulfilling?

It will affect your children because they would need to make new friends, adapt to new teachers.

Stay where you are!
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by SweetCunt97(f): 6:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
Daisy101:

Thank you.
No need to relocate as you guys already have stuffs going for u where u at now.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by SOFTENGR: 6:13pm On Apr 22, 2020
Relocate fast. Don't delay. Thank me later.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Daisy101(m): 7:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
1030:
Lokojo is far better than any capital in North East,U wont have problem with the hot weather because same appear in North East.

Nice private schools are available for kids,state polytechnic and Federal university are in lokoja with less than one hour drive to Salem university which is private.

As for your job, teaching will be for a start.

Okay. Thanks Dear.
For the job, do you have an idea of what they pay teachers? Or bankers?
For business, do you have an idea of the kind of business that will thrive in the area?
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Daisy101(m): 8:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
ayeesha:
You will enjoy lokoja cos it's generally peaceful and quiet. Accommodation is affordable with good schools too. The weather can be very extreme whether it's hot or cold but you'll get used to it wink. Food is also very cheap depending on seasons cos I send for certain food items from home. ( popsie lives there). Can't say much about social life cos I was an indoor person while at home. All in all, cost of living in lokoja is okay especially given the federal job your husband has gotten.

Okay. Thank you.
It's like you are from Kogi.
I'm glad cost of living is okay there.
Do you have an idea of how much a 2 or 3 bedroom flat costs in Lokoja?

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Daisy101(m): 8:05pm On Apr 22, 2020
truthsayer009:
DON'T GO PLEASE.

Life isn't always about money any longer especially when family is involved. The grass is always greener at the other side so be careful.

You have a great relationship with your husband and children, you have a good business going, you have a good social life.

Why do you want to spoil that for a new job that you are not even sure is fulfilling?

It will affect your children because they would need to make new friends, adapt to new teachers.

Stay where you are!

Well, thanks for your advice.
A Federal government job offer is always better.
Right?
It's just the location I'm worried about.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by missyojo(f): 8:09pm On Apr 22, 2020
Oluromantic:
Stay back and face your business. Let ur husband go for the offer. He shd be coming home and you shd be paying him a visit in lokoja once in a while.

After he's spent some time there and you paid him visits, you guys would have studied the terrains and made some contacts so you can join him there later with the kids.

Op, listen to this advice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by cunny88(m): 10:21pm On Apr 22, 2020
it's a nice, Rocky and peaceful town but like someone advised earlier, be prepared for the heat, d town is like oven
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 10:45pm On Apr 22, 2020
Abeg since u said with a slightly better pay,please remain where u are.I think as at last year kogi state did not pay govt workers fr almost 6mnths.pls just remain where u are.kogi state no worth the wahala.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
i can give u first hand info.....since u said its a federal job ,i think its better 4 u to come. But i cant say 4 d prospect of ur bussiness ...if u get leg,u fit get banking job .
lokoja is fun oo if u get kalluba wella......budget at least 150-200k for 2 bedroom flat and 250-300k 3bedroom flat just ask u ask.....nice schoolr,hotels and filling stations(lol). BUT HEAT DAE OOH, TAKING MY BATH D 4TH TIME 2DAY. Ask me anything shaa.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by akaahs(m): 10:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Life is also an adventure, I ll advice U relocate to lokoja, believe U long back and said is the best decision U guys made for the family.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
meetme01:
It's a dilemma ma'am.

Don't look at the pay. Sometimes money is insignificant to one's life and peace of mind. Lots of people are in Lagos you think are doing fine. They are struggling. Not because they ain't working but expenses and bills is killing them. They can't go back home either.

Look at the future of the kids. How it would affect them academically, psychologically and mentally. I don't know their ages but with your post, they seem to be in pry and secondary level respectively. If that is the case, let them be your priority in your final decision

Prayer does it. Seek the face of your creator. He would definitely guide you. Sometimes changing environment is for our good and sometimes, its otherwise.
i think maybe because its federal sha
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by bukatyne(f): 11:20pm On Apr 22, 2020
Daisy101:

My husband and I have been in a dilemma between moving to Lokoja or remaining where we are. A Federal government job offer recently came up in Lokoja for my husband with a slightly better salary but we already have somethings going on for us were we are now (a local government area in another North Central state). My husband works with the government here while I'm running my own business. We have kids.

I need advice, Please.

1. What does your husband currently do and range of pay? (you can use Naira & kobo) E. G. He earns N2 at his current job and got federal job of N2.50)

2. What is the Federal Job and pay?

3. How do you run your finances? Joint, hubby alone, percentage per person etc.

4. What percentage of your finances go into cost of living? 2% for school fees, 10% for rent etc.

5. What is your husband's career path?

6. What is the prospect of getting another job/better there? If he decides he has spent enough time at this new job, how quickly can he get somewhere else?

7. Do you plan to run your business forever or switch later on? What's your plan?

8. Do you have a support system you leverage on? Can you cope without them in the new place before you build the network again?

Post COVID-19 world is going to be a new one. Before making a move, you need to do overdue diligence.

3 Likes

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 23, 2020
Business is important...
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by foreveryoung1515(f): 12:10am On Apr 23, 2020
bukatyne:

1. What does your husband currently do and range of pay? (you can use Naira & kobo) E. G. He earns N2 at his current job and got federal job of N2.50)

2. What is the Federal Job and pay?

3. How do you run your finances? Joint, hubby alone, percentage per person etc.

4. What percentage of your finances go into cost of living? 2% for school fees, 10% for rent etc.

5. What is your husband's career path?

6. What is the prospect of getting another job/better there? If he decides he has spent enough time at this new job, how quickly can he get somewhere else?

7. Do you plan to run your business forever or switch later on? What's your plan?

8. Do you have a support system you leverage on? Can you cope without them in the new place before you build the network again?

Post COVID-19 world is going to be a new one. Before making a move, you need to do overdue diligence.
nice one.
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by frozen70(f): 2:57am On Apr 23, 2020
Daisy101:

I need advice, Please.

Woman ❗
Stay where you are let your husband go to kogi, get the job and over time, being a federal job, he will seek for transfer to any where of the federation

You can't because of job and relocate a whole family, what if it doesn't work out as you guys expect it to be

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 3:03am On Apr 23, 2020
Oluromantic:

@op, this is the advice you need right now.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by nams77: 3:30am On Apr 23, 2020
Daisy101:

I need advice, Please.
Let your husband go first. After a while you guys will be able to decide if to relocate or not
Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Richy4(m): 5:02am On Apr 23, 2020
My own thinking might be different. Your fears is just what everyone or any rational human will be thinking about. Kids, family, business, etc. In terms of relocating to a new place..

Be bold and confront every uncertainty with him. Sell your business in your present location. Use the proceeds to open a new one in Kogi state.

Just saying, I don't want you to come up here in 2 year's time and open another thread. Captioned " my husband is no longer coming home for a visit "...

Then, you will start by narrating how he got a FG job, visits every week. All of a sudden it becomes once in a month and finally stopped.
After narrating, all the ladies in the house in solidarity will pick him up and start tearing him pieces by pieces.. He needs his wife by his side and u also need your husband at all times. This is the perfect opportunity to prevent and avoid any unwarranted situation. But if u think that it will never happen, then let him go while u stay. Just letting you know that prevention is cheaper than looking for remedy.. to summarise everything I have said, stick together with your family and face every uncertainty with your man.. he will draw strength from you and u too will do the same.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Acidosis(m): 8:36am On Apr 23, 2020
Well, since you currently live in a north central state (Kwara, Benue or Nasarrawa?), relocating to Lokoja shouldn't be a problem. As per your worries about accomodation and schooling, well, all state capitals have good schools and accomodation. Cost of accomodation and schooling, however, may differ.

I think your greatest fear is fear of the unknown with regards to relocation. The bitter truth you should know is that you must eliminate that fear if you must accept a federal job. Relocation is one of those steps you must take at one point or the other.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 23, 2020
Daisy101:

Well, thanks for your advice.
A Federal government job offer is always better.
Right?
It's just the location I'm worried about.

Yes Federal government is always better. Since everyone has been advising only your husband to go, I support that.

The truth is, It's always easier for a Man to adapt to new location and environments than Women & children. Let him go first then you can follow suit or he can share his real life experiences when he goes, so you know what to expect at least.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 23, 2020
bukatyne:

My exact fear. If she was single, It's a different case entirely.

1 Like

Re: Should We Relocate To Lokoja, Kogi State For A Federal Job? by bukatyne(f): 12:57pm On Apr 23, 2020
truthsayer009:

My exact fear. If she was single, It's a different case entirely.

Even single sef.

Any move not properly thought through is bad bad.

I heard of someone who resigned a few weeks to COVID-19 in Naija to a new job.

New job called him that due to the pandemic, they no longer need him.

He is jobless now.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Witch Mother Wants To Initiate My Daughter In Her Dream / After Returning The Bride Price, He Wants Us To Talk. / Nairalander Could U Enlighten Me On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.