Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth (3633 Views)

Kollington Ayinla Critically Ill, Hospitalised For Days / Kollington Ayinla And His Son, Big Sheff, Strike A Pose (Photos) / Festus Fadeyi: Toke Makinwa Reacts To Rumor Of Dating 70-Year-Old Billionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 7:55am On Apr 24, 2020
Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura
Born in Itoko, Abeokuta in the early 1930s. Also known as Anigilaje, EgunMogaji, or Alujonu Elere ‘Djinn of Musicians’, he was the musician of choice of motor parks up and down Agege Motor Road, Lagos, and well into Abeokuta and environs.
He steadfastly released album after album during the years 1970 and 1980, with his albums selling like hot cakes on EMI NIGERIA label. Anigilaje reigned supreme at the annual Ogun festivals of motor parks, Ogun Ajobo / Sango, Ogun Ajobo / Mushin, Ogun Ajobo / Oshodi.
According to rumors and myths surrounding his death, Ayinla Omowura killed himself.
How? Well, according to the same long held popular beer parlor rumors, Ayinla Omowura had a ring which he wore permanently on the thumb of his right hand. It was however not an ordinary ring. It was a magical ring. With the ring, Ayinla could sing in Hausa, Igbo, Fulfulde, French and English Languages effortlessly but there's no record that the list included Mandarin. Thank God we were spared the spread of his language prowress to the orientals because our social contact with the Chinese or Beinjin was far and limited during that period.
That was not all. The magical ring is said can also make Ayinla to disappear at will. Anyone slapped with the ring, according to the myth, was bound to collapse and die. The ring however came with a warning. It has èwò – a neutralizer. It must not come in contact with human blood. The day it touched blood would be Ayinla’s last day.
Waidi Ayinla was bold! Egunmogaji was brash! Omowura was brave! Anigilaje was uncouth. Alhaji Costly was an iconoclast. He was the stormy petrel of Yoruba music in the 70s. He took no prisoners. He admitted in Omi Titun Ti Ru that the only person he respected in music circle was Haruna Ishola alone!
So how did Ayinla kill himself?
As the infamous myth goes, Ayinla was at a party where he was invited to play when a fight broke out. He saw that his band boys were involved in the fracas and he decided to intervene. In the process of mediating, someone hit Ayinla with a metal chair! Blood! Instinctively, Ayinla felt his skull with his right palm. You can imagine the rest.
Sorry to disappoint you that contrary to this long believed tale by moonlight, Ayinla Omowura was not killed at a party.
So where or how did he die?
Baiyewunmi was Ayinla Omowura’s band manager for many years. He was Ayinla’s dependable Man Friday. He booked his shows, arranged his programmes and was also responsible for keeping the band’s money. In at least two albums, Ayinla sang his praises, even if fleetingly.
Then the bubbles burst. Ayinla accused Baiyewunmi of fraudulent accounting. On top of this, he was in custody of a Yamaha 90 motorcycle that Egunmogaji gifted him before the bubble burst, of which he had sent word for him to return.
Baiyewunmi was summarily summoned to Itoko in Abeokuta by the Emperor of Music. Perhaps scared of Ayinla’s fiery tongue (or afraid of the famed Magic Ring), Baiyewunmi, the embattled band manager refused to appear in court to show cause.
Egunmogaji declared him a wanted man. Everyone in Abeokuta began looking for the estranged Baiyewunmi. Had he fled Egba to Lagos? Someone claimed to have seen him on his way to Cotonou. Another claimed he was in Ibadan arranging some boys to rival Ayinla as Apala Musician. And there were reported sightings in Kano, Enugu and Kafanchan. But no one reported seeing him in Abeokuta.
Where was Baiyewunmi! Of course, Baiyewunmi was in Egba Alake. He was not even in hiding.
In Yoruba land, name – whether given or adopted – is usually instructive. Omowura was the golden child of Apala music. Baiyewunmi loved good life. And good life loved him. And that proved to be fatal!
Ayinla Omowura had just finished composing another blockbuster album in his head. He had a legendary reputation for not writing his songs down.
Before he became a professional musician, he was a motorboy and later a driver.

3 Likes

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 7:56am On Apr 24, 2020
He plied Abeouta-Lagos Route. It was said that Ayinla would sing non-stop from Egba to Lagos on his trips.
He was humming his new songs whilst been driven in his King of Road, a brand new Mercedes Benz. It must have been the mental exercise, Ayinla’s throat began itching for something stronger than cold water. Alhaji Costly directed his driver to stop at a beer parlour for the much needed refreshment.
Like the King he was, Ayinla stepped out of his car majestically. He was followed by the driver and two of his bandboys who were with him in the car.
Egunmogaji! People hailed the maestro. He waved at them. He was wearing his magic ring.
Apparently, Ayinla was not the only one who needed a drink. Seated comfortably in the bar and enjoying himself was no other person than Baiyewunmi himself! Baiyewunmi!
Ayinla saw Baiyewunmi! Baiyewunmi saw Ayinla! Two elephants met! “Lo pe Olopa fun mi ni Eleweran! Oju Ole re!” Ayinla ordered his driver to run to Eleweran to fetch police so that Baiywunmi, the ‘thief’ could be arrested.
Police ke! Baiyewunmi stood up immediately. The bar became tensed. Everybody in the bar knew everybody. Baiyeunmi was not afraid. It could have been Dutch Courage. He took another sip at his beer. He placed the heavy mug back on the metal table. “Hadji Costly! Oro yi ko le to bayi.” He addressed his former boss with the endearing name he knew Ayinla loved.
Omowura was unmoved. “You are sleeping in Eleweran tonight! Ole!” Seeing that entreaties and pleas would be futile, Baiyewunmi weighed his options. He decided to bolt. Ayinla was blocking the entrance, but not totally. His medium frame was not enough to stop a determined band manager. He took on Egunmogaji headlong. Ayinla was not a former driver for nothing. He swiftly stepped aside. He lunged at his attacker. He caught hold of his cloth. Baiyewunmi was caught like a spider. Anigilaje smile triumphantly.
What happened next was as surreal as a scripted movie. Baiyewunmi was locked in Ayinla’s tight grip. Though his hands were free, Ayinla held on to his cloth tightly. Police would soon be here! Ayinla beamed at his quarry. It must be the word ‘Police’ that Baiyewunmi heard. He staggered back to where he was drinking, dragging Ayinla with him. His hand caught the handle of his beer jug. In a moment, he struck Ayinla on the head with the now empty but heavy mug.
Ayinla collapsed like a shot antelope. Baiyewunmi didn’t wait a moment longer. He fled. Omowura felt the wetness of his head. He raised his right hand to assess the damage. His hand was soaked in blood.
Ayinla began to chant incantation from one of his albums. Bi iku ba n pa won leworo leworo, ki e ma ka temi mo won (If death was killing them by the dozens, my death will not be included).
His two boys took him to the hospital. Ayinla must not die! Music must not die! Doctors battled to save the life of the musical genius. People stood outside the hospital praying ceaselessly. Muslims, Christians and Traditional worshippers cried to the heavens.
Cock has crowed. Eagle has flown away. Ayinla Omowura is gone!
Baiyewunmi was arrested and charged with the murder of Mr. Waidi Ayinla contrary to section 254(2) of the Criminal Code. The trial judge was Mr. Justice Owolabi Kolawole of the Ogun State High Court (later OFR and later, Justice of Court of Appeal).
Medical evidence was presented. The cause of death, contrary to long held myth, was not the magical ring. The ring – be it plastic, wooden or golden – did not even attract a mention in the trial. The cause of death was certified to be cerebral shock resulting from a fracture of the skull associated with a contortion of the brain as well as large intracranial haemorrhage consistent with the deceased having been struck on the head with a heavy object. Big Grammar! In a layman’s basic English, Ayinla’s head was cracked with a jug. Simple!
In his defence, Baiyewunmi denied striking Ayinla.

1 Like

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 7:58am On Apr 24, 2020
He claimed that after Ayinla grabbed his cloth, Ayinla began to tremble all over and then collapsed. His Counsel argued that the evidence of the prosecution witnesses contained such contradictions as to make it unreliable. Counsel also argued that if at all Ayinla was attacked, it was in self-defence. Case adjourned for judgment.
The whole of Nigeria waited with baited breath. Rumours began to circulate. Someone claimed that Ayinla had woken up miraculously! It was also claimed that Baiyewunmi had disappeared from prison. Rumors grew wings and flew far and wide throughout Yorubaland that Ayinla killed himself.
The Courtroom was filled to the brim on the day My Lord Justice Kolawole was to deliver the judgment. The judgment took the whole of one hour. His Lordship held that Baiyewunmi had to be taken as having intended the natural and probable consequence of his act, which was that Ayinla would suffer grievous harm as a result of the blow to the head.
At this point, Justice Kolawole looked up from his record. There was pin drop silence in the court room. Baiyewunmi stood in the dock with his head bowed. Counsel for prosecution and defence watched His Lordship intently.
The judge turned another page and continued: “In coming to my conclusion, I only need to say in the words of Apostle Paul in his letter to the Corinthians at chapter 11 verse 29: ‘For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself…The accused eateth and drinketh unworthily; he eateth and drinketh damnation to himself.”
Baiyewunmi was therefore found guilty of the murder of Alhaji Ayinla Waidi aka Ayinla Omowura, Egunmogaji of Egbaland, Anigilaje, Alhaji Costly!
Baiyewunmi was sentenced to death accordingly.

-Background research and information extracted from Music of Our Fathers by OLÁNREWÁJÚ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by Blitz4real(m): 8:19am On Apr 24, 2020
Very nice..
Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by oloriooko(m): 8:35am On Apr 24, 2020
Tnx OP it was worth the long read
Lalabrother you do well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lukui: 8:46am On Apr 24, 2020
Dope ass musician. One of my uncles favourite!!!! RIP!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 12:53pm On Apr 24, 2020
oloriooko:
Tnx OP it was worth the long read
Lalabrother you do well
smiley cool
Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by agbekeOreke86(f): 1:22pm On Apr 24, 2020
Such a sweet read.The yoruba 'chip-ins' made it more interesting.Thanks OP kiss kiss....i love Ayinla 'mowura's music...'awon to ngun eh bi eshin to ba pe won,won a mo eh loju. .....mo nsoo... grin grin
Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 2:58pm On Apr 24, 2020
agbekeOreke86:
Such a sweet read.The yoruba 'chip-ins' made it more interesting.Thanks OP kiss kiss....i love Ayinla 'mowura's music...'awon to ngun eh bi eshin to ba pe won,won a mo eh loju. .....mo nsoo... grin grin
my pleasure to share the long but worth the read event of a music legend.

1 Like

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by agbekeOreke86(f): 5:19pm On Apr 24, 2020
lalabrother:
my pleasure to share the long but worth the read event of a music legend.
oohhh good job brother,very good job sire!!!

1 Like

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by Koralords: 6:37pm On Apr 24, 2020
Listened to that guys music when growing up,one of my fond childhood memories

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 6:43pm On Apr 24, 2020
Koralords:
Listened to that guys music when growing up,one of my fond childhood memories
well I lived a compound where our landlord plays his music all the time and then he would talk about the man and about how he died by his own doings, so I heard his music recently and decided to look for stories about him and his death. Well I'm glad you know the true story now.
Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by Koralords: 7:59pm On Apr 24, 2020
lalabrother:
well I lived a compound where our landlord plays his music all the time and then he would talk about the man and about how he died by his own doings, so I heard his music recently and decided to look for stories about him and his death. Well I'm glad you know the true story now.
Thanks bro ,you helped me to know more about his death

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by lalabrother: 6:25pm On Apr 26, 2020
Koralords:

Thanks bro ,you helped me to know more about his death
the pleasure is mine
Re: Popular Beerparlor Rumor Surounding Alhaji Wahidi Ayinla Omowura Death/the Truth by honeyB2018: 8:43pm On Apr 26, 2020
Heaven or Hell, where do you think he will be now? This is the ultimate.
Thanks brother for a good job. I too love his music then.

(1) (Reply)

Shata Bandle, The Guy Who Claims To Be Richer Than Dangote -(see Recent Photos) / Beyonce & Jayz Pictureed Together For The First Time Since Covid19 Lockdown. PIX / Bianca Ojukwu Celebrates Her Birthday Today (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.