Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,545 members, 7,837,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. (911 Views)

Nysc For Foreign Born Nigerians / White Nike Air Force 1 For NYSC For Just 15k / CAN Faults NYSC For Expelling Corpers Who Refused To Wear Shorts, Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by UdokaU: 10:18pm On Apr 29, 2020
So a little background is that I'm a 26 year old CPA working at a public accounting firm in the US. I have always considered the idea of working in NIgeria since I began working 4 years ago but was never 100% committed to the idea. After getting serious and doing my research I realized that I'm unable to legally work in Nigeria if I haven't completed NYSC since I obtained my degree before the age of 30. So I wanted to get advice as I'm not getting any younger and this could be a significant obstacle if I delay this any further. So I just had some questions I was hoping I can get advice on.

1. At this stage would it be best to act immediately? With my work situation and apartment lease, I probably won't be able to start the program until Summer 2021 which I'll be 27.

2. This program seems to be focused on providing the youth employment, at my stage I wouldn't consider myself entry level since I've been working for 4 years now. How would I best go about my situation? I see a lot of age discrimination on this thread but that may be referring to entry level positions.

3. I know the requirement is under 30 but what would the experience be like for someone my age? Since this program leads to employment I assume most people would be postgrads either 20 or 21 and I'll most likely be 27 at the time of mobilization.

4. What's the treatment of a foreign-born and raised individual and how common is it in NYSC to have people similar to my background? I'm a fairly humble person, assimilate easily to my surroundings, and don't view myself above anybody else(I'm actually quite insecure at times) so I'm hoping I'm accepted.

Thanks to anyone who chooses to answer this. My parents called me crazy for thinking of this but I'm just considering the risk of a future opportunity coming up in the year 2030 and I'm stuck since I didn't complete NYSC and I can't get exemption since I graduated before 30.
Re: NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by samuelson06(m): 10:52pm On Apr 29, 2020
Is NYSC now a requirement to work in US or you plan relocating to Nigeria to live and work here? Young man, face your front and build your life there if you are actually in the US. Maybe your parents have assured you that they can get something for you in Nigeria when it's time, please feel free to come and do your NYSC else sit your ass there and build your life. Stop making Nigeria feel important when it's not.
Re: NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by Queenttoast01: 10:58pm On Apr 29, 2020
1. You can only serve once and at any time since you finished your study before the age of 30

2.Only the labour market will determine if your age suits the office you're applying for not NYSC or Nairaland.

3. NYSC does not leads to an employment, you learn skills and look for available jobs.

4.You will be among human like you, No special treatment.

Thanks
Re: NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by UdokaU: 11:15pm On Apr 29, 2020
samuelson06:
Is NYSC now a requirement to work in US or you plan relocating to Nigeria to live and work here? Young man, face your front and build your life there if you are actually in the US. Maybe your parents have assured you that they can get something for you in Nigeria when it's time, please feel free to come and do your NYSC else sit your ass there and build your life. Stop making Nigeria feel important when it's not.

I get your point. Wasn't necessarily recommending a permanent move(who knows), but I do plan on working abroad in the next 10 years for international experience. Doesn't necessarily have to be Nigeria since I can choose from other countries. Just feels weird knowing the outlook is that of all the countries Nigeria is the one I will be barred from due to the requirement. Appreciate the honesty.
Re: NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by samuelson06(m): 10:02am On Apr 30, 2020
UdokaU:

I get your point. Wasn't necessarily recommending a permanent move(who knows), but I do plan on working abroad in the next 10 years for international experience. Doesn't necessarily have to be Nigeria since I can choose from other countries. Just feels weird knowing the outlook is that of all the countries [b] Nigeria is the one I will be barred from due to the requirement. [b] Appreciate the honesty.

There's nothing to bar you in Nigeria. They had nothing to offer in the first place. Just put your head down, continue with your studies up to Ph.D level, get a good job and establish yourself there. Forget about Nigeria. Home is where you can live a quality life. Again, forget Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by Aeman(m): 1:23pm On Apr 30, 2020
Hai nigga get your shit together if you feel your heart is telling you to come do your nysc in Nigeria make enquires make the necessary applications come to Nigeria do your nysc have that fucking experience cause that shit is worth it nigga, don't let anybody brain wash you cause when you experience it yourself first hand you'll be glad you did,
Re: NYSC For An Individual Born And Raised In The US. by UdokaU: 4:25pm On Apr 30, 2020
samuelson06:

There's nothing to bar you in Nigeria. They had nothing to offer in the first place. Just put your head down, continue with your studies up to Ph.D level, get a good job and establish yourself there. Forget about Nigeria. Home is where you can live a quality life. Again, forget Nigeria.

Harsh truth.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Killing Of Some Nysc Members In Jos Is Condemable / Graduates & Corps Members' Lounge / Do Corp Members Serve In Private Organizations Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.