Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,089 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help (2480 Views)

I Am Learning Javascript, I Need Help With The Code I'm Writing / How To Go About Learning Javascript Within Two Weeks / Difficulties Learning Javascript? This Will Change Your Life! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by AyomideToks(m): 12:09am On May 01, 2020
For many months I have been learning how to code, I started out with HTML and CSS but as it is now JavaScript has been a problem to me.
I have downloaded videos even books like <b> Eloquent Javascript </b> but I have not made any headway..At this point it is even looking like programming isn't my thing but deep down this is something I want to do.
I would appreciate suggestions on how I can learn JavaScript and become a better developer
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Shepherdd(m): 1:12am On May 01, 2020
Please don't start with that book. For any programming language I want to learn I always download two or more kinds of textbook, the one targeted for purely beginners(head first series or dummies series) and a more advanced version.

For a more subtle introduction to JavaScript please download JavaScript for dummies. It's really easy to grab and you get to implement some cool programmes along the way.

Once you are done then you can move to more complex books like eloquent, you don't know JS and the likes.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by nurain150(m): 1:42am On May 01, 2020
Javas

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by AyomideToks(m): 8:57am On May 01, 2020
Shepherdd:
Please don't start with that book. For any programming language I want to learn I always download two or more kinds of textbook, the one targeted for purely beginners(head first series or dummies series) and a more advanced version.

For a more subtle introduction to JavaScript please download JavaScript for dummies. It's really easy to grab and you get to implement some cool programmes along the way.

Once you are done then you can move to more complex books like eloquent, you don't know JS and the likes.

Thanks I really Appreciate this
What projects CAN I begin to work on as a beginner to make the learning process fun??
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Shepherdd(m): 10:18am On May 01, 2020
AyomideToks:

Thanks I really Appreciate this
What projects CAN I begin to work on as a beginner to make the learning process fun??

Since you said you have a background in HTML and CSS, why not build a clock with html / css and update the time with JS. You will need to use tools like setInterval.

You can try to build the snake game, a to-do list, a note taking app, you could go further by learning graphics rendering with JS(three.js, pixi.js) and build stuff like tic-tac-toe, and WHOT game.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by TechCapon(m): 10:38am On May 01, 2020
AyomideToks:
For many months I have been learning how to code, I started out with HTML and CSS but as it is now JavaScript has been a problem to me.
I have downloaded videos even books like <b> Eloquent Javascript </b> but I have not made any headway..At this point it is even looking like programming isn't my thing but deep down this is something I want to do.
I would appreciate suggestions on how I can learn JavaScript and become a better developer
it's because you're trying to learn the syntax instead of focusing on the concepts. Once you have understood the key concepts of javascript the rest becomes easy
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Payper(m): 11:53am On May 01, 2020
I was struggling with eloquent JAVASCRIPT too, I dumped it and read MSN Docs instead.
I found it easier to grasp.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by cyberjacker: 12:03pm On May 01, 2020
Op dont use eloquent javascript...that book is not for beginners
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Nelx(m): 12:14pm On May 01, 2020
Op, eloquent js is a complicated book for beginners. Use w3schools JavaScript tutorial as a start, it would help you know basic JavaScript concept. Then use mdn docs for more advanced stuffs before going to books like eloquent js.
Also try to give yourself a project like building a clock, timetable e.t.c
Goodluck
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Karlebolu(m): 8:28am On May 02, 2020
I wonder why people always recommend eloquent Javascript for beginners. That book is too hard and the tutor was even rushing things.

There's a chapter where the guy created another language with Javascript, imagine that! The last time I checked the book isn't even colored.

I almost quitted js when I read Javascript design patterns, the tutor was even using Game of Thrones terminology in his examples. It was hell!

I recommend downloading multiple books, subscribing to multiple YouTube Javascript channels and follow multiple Javascript tutorial websites.

Let's face it, some tutor sucks.

If the material is giving you headache, discard it and go with another.

Lastly, stay away from Indians, those guys are good but their English is bad. Very bad!

1 Like

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:11pm On May 02, 2020
Karlebolu:
I wonder why people always recommend eloquent Javascript for beginners. That book is too hard and the tutor was even rushing things.

There's a chapter where the guy created another language with Javascript, imagine that! The last time I checked the book isn't even colored.

I almost quitted js when I read Javascript design patterns, the tutor was even using Game of Thrones terminology in his examples. It was hell!

I recommend downloading multiple books, subscribing to multiple YouTube Javascript channels and follow multiple Javascript tutorial websites.

Lastly, stay away from Indians, those guys are good but their English is bad. Very bad!

I am presently in this chapter. He was creating a programming language called egg. I started reading it yesterday in the morning as I got deeper into that chapter I started feeling very deep headache. At night, I tried again my brains wanted to explode cheesy. I literally almost ran mad yesterday. I am waiting for light to come and I would go back to it. It's not really a bad book per say but many things are abstract. After reading a module, I head over to YouTube to get some clarification and I can then appreciate the book more.

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by geedot: 4:26pm On May 02, 2020
Data structures and algorithms knowledge can't be over emphasised, I wish I knew earlier before I started learning programming. Now we have to do it the hard way by learning Data structure along side programming which is not easy at all.

Watching videos first before reading textbooks has been my most efficient method of learning so far.
I'd advise you get a comprehensive video of JavaScript so as to make you assimilate faster.

Though I stopped learning JavaScript already because I'd prefer to go the backend route, because some projects I'd love to work on can only be done by having a strong knowledge of the backend.

I only learned JavaScript for less than 2months and even built a pig game with it, I'll recommend JonasAssmed video to you on YouTube.

Search for "javascript complete course 2019 build real projects". It has parts 1-6 and is about 28hrs long. Trust me, the guy is really good at teaching. My strong hold on JavaScript has been my saviour in understanding Python faster.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Shepherdd(m): 5:07pm On May 02, 2020
geedot:
Data structures and algorithms knowledge can't be over emphasised, I wish I knew earlier before I started learning programming. Now we have to do it the hard way by learning Data structure along side programming which is not easy at all.

I guess that's the norm(learning DS&A later) unless you studied computer science.
Data structures and algorithm are language agnostic and I also think they should be learned before even trying to print Hello World on the console.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by geedot: 5:25pm On May 02, 2020
Shepherdd:

I guess that's the norm(learning DS&A later) unless you studied computer science.
Data structures and algorithm are language agnostic and I also think they should be learned before even trying to print Hello World on the console.
Nothing but truth, I wish I knew earlier. Had to make a U-turn before continuing.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by SapphireYj: 7:33pm On May 02, 2020
Marijn Harverbeke is a damn good programmer. But his book:eloquent js is not for beginners. Even though I was already good in the use of javascript at the time I read the book some years back, I still struggled with some of his complex examples. Like the algorithm he wrote to calculate the route through a city. I finished the book though, but it was not an easy read. At times it seemed he intentionally wanted to confuse his students. Lol. Although I later learnt in my programming journey that you need good understanding of trees data structure to adequately grasp calculating of routes through a big city or country.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Swagahyk(m): 9:10pm On May 02, 2020
AyomideToks:

I have been learning Javascript too for over a year now ( not consistently ), i used youtube videos, PDFs, even used free coding platforms like w3schools.com, codcademy,Sololearn etc 'Functions' seem to be my major problem,( sometimes you need to ask questions seeing some syntax you dont understand, but no one to ask, you are just on your own.)i got discouraged along the line.
During this lock down i started again with another pattern. Lo and behold I'm done with Functions, Objects and currently on 'Javascript Classes' its all making little sense now.
Try talking to someone while learning it helps.

1 Like

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Wapgod(m): 9:45pm On May 02, 2020
Swagahyk:

I have been learning Javascript too for over a year now ( not consistently ), i used youtube videos, PDFs, even used free coding platforms like w3schools.com, codcademy,Sololearn etc 'Functions' seem to be my major problem,( sometimes you need to ask questions seeing some syntax you dont understand, but no one to ask, you are just on your own.)i got discouraged along the line.
During this lock down i started again with another pattern. Lo and behold I'm done with Functions, Objects and currently on 'Javascript Classes' its all making little sense now.
Try talking to someone while learning it helps.
Use stack overflow if you have questions to ask
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Swagahyk(m): 10:47pm On May 02, 2020
Wapgod:

Use stack overflow if you have questions to ask

A beginner won't find it easy using that platform, moreover some questions need a one on one response
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Bahat: 5:24pm On May 03, 2020
Javascript can be hard sometimes you can try to learn Typescript it will make you understand js I guess it made javascript easier for me
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Johnmattee(m): 11:05pm On May 03, 2020
I've been learning JavaScript for some time, the first material I laid my hands on was Eloquent JavaScript, I read till chapter 4, then I was still stucked at one part called "weresquirrel" . I was like WTF! I later jumped to regular expression and I hit another block, later I resorted to another learning material "JavaScript for kids", then I move up to other books which gave me a clear understanding of the language. But one thing about this thing is practice, practice and practice. no amount of reading or watching can make one attain level of mastery.
if one is good in JavaScript, picking up PHP and python won't be a hassle, same with frameworks....Still a learner, hoping to be a JavaScript ninja soon cheesy
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Johnmattee(m): 11:07pm On May 03, 2020
Bahat:
Javascript can be hard sometimes you can try to learn Typescript it will make you understand js I guess it made javascript easier for me
typescript gives JavaScript power, it's knowledge is essential in node.js and angular.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Bahat: 8:43am On May 04, 2020
Johnmattee:

typescript gives JavaScript power, it's knowledge is essential in node.js and angular.

Oh yeah I have problems understanding javascript whenever I tried learning jt as I have knowledge in various programming languages including assembly both masm with Asm included.

When I tried typescript automatically I grabbed the concept of javascript since then have been doing wonders with my javascript as its a language I love to use on the web.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by spartan117(m): 10:43am On May 04, 2020
Karlebolu:

Thought I was the only one grin

I've never been able to last the entire duration of an Indian tutorial, their voice will begin to hurt my head at some point. Same reason I hate Indian movies.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Anonime1105(m): 7:35pm On May 04, 2020
Coming from somebody who's still learning Java, JavaScript is a bit easier but you need a very good learning materials, for beginners the JavaScript for dummies is a good starting point, add w3scools, men and other sites and things would be easier, I would advise you to invest in udemy courses, the ones in the screen shot are the top 3 courses

Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:05pm On May 04, 2020
Anonime1105:
Coming from somebody who's still learning Java, JavaScript is a bit easier but you need a very good learning materials, for beginners the JavaScript for dummies is a good starting point, add w3scools, men and other sites and things would be easier, I would advise you to invest in udemy courses, the ones in the screen shot are the top 3 is courses

That modern JavaScript from the beginning is a very useless course the one by Brad Traversy.

The first module is him basically rushing everything about JavaScript. He doesn't talk about why you should use any of the core concepts or when you should use them. It's honestly useless to me.

The best JavaScript course is that first one and then the one by the arcanemind dude. Those guys are very good teachers men.
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by Anonime1105(m): 8:20pm On May 04, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

That modern JavaScript from the beginning is a very useless course the one by Brad Traversy.

The first module is him basically rushing everything about JavaScript. He doesn't talk about why you should use any of the core concepts or when you should use them. It's honestly useless to me.

The best JavaScript course is that first one and then the one by the arcanemind dude. Those guys are very good teachers men.

I am yet to take any of the course cos am still learning Java for now but from the reviews and curriculum I thought It would be a great course cos I have watched some of Brad's YouTube videos and they are good
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by SqueezedPant: 1:11am On May 05, 2020
AyomideToks:

where did you learn the html and CSS from and where are you learning your Java script from?
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by ekehopp: 12:05pm On May 11, 2020
I'm learning Javascript, but i hate ebooks. I prefer the interactive model.
So I'm learning from FreeCodeCamp (having completed Responsive web design, html and CSS).
To be honest javascript on freecodecamp was hard at start. I had to first go learn from Codecademy. Did like 6/14 of the module, then returned back to Freecodecamp.

Wonder why tutorial creators can't use very simple examples. Break everything down to minimum level so its grasped at first instance. That the main thing that pisses me off.

Presently on 94/110 of Basic JavaScript on freecodecamp
Re: I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help by pajosh(m): 12:20pm On May 11, 2020
DM me Man.. it will only get better for you sir .. just beleve

(1) (Reply)

My Projects As A Software Developer / Most Easy And Understandable Programming Language For Beginners? / Get Jetbrains 1yr Premium License Key All Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.