Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,231 members, 7,811,643 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? (807 Views)

12 States Where Men Support Hitting Women Who Argue With Their Husbands - NDHS / Divorce Looms:micheaI Ilesanm&america's Angela Deem Argue On Childbearing(video) / Would You Dress Your Kids Like This? See Reactions (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Mariangeles(f): 1:08pm On May 03, 2020
From time to time, couples tend to disagree (which is normal), and that could lead to a slight or heated argument.
Now, my question is what would be the appropriate thing to do in such cases if kids were involved: To argue in front of the kids and make up to let them know it is normal or to pretend all is fine, then take the argument out of their hearing?

Kindly share your experience...

1 Like

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Ningen(m): 1:10pm On May 03, 2020
Never argue infront of your kids.

1 Like

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 03, 2020
Mariangeles:
From time to time, couples tend to disagree (which is normal), and that could lead to a slight or heated argument.
Now, my question is what would be the appropriate thing to do in such cases if kids were involved: To argue in front of the kids and make up to let them know it is normal or to pretend all is fine, then take the argument out of their hearing?

If u argue infront of ur kids.. U have done ursef more harm than good. That kid that sees u arguing wil one day be affected by what he has seen and may hamper his decision making with opposite sex. He or she may also be difficult to handle at some point. Some become mysogynist, some become misandrist

In what ever scenario. Do not argue in front of ur kids. Infact be loving to ur partner even if there's an arguing ongoing when they are present

1 Like

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Kemimarch16(f): 1:13pm On May 03, 2020
It is not advisable
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by vandp: 1:20pm On May 03, 2020
Mariangeles:

I hope you are married, share your experience first.

1 Like

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by sisisioge: 1:28pm On May 03, 2020
Hmmm. I think it is better to argue behind the kids just in case fury turns to chimney. However, I you could have a code for them to know that mommy and daddy are about to take a recess to argue. Eg, Timeout honey, let's take this to the room grin

But we know its almost not feasible. If the couple are well grounded and cultured, they can have their argument without raising their voices, throwing colour words or even punches in front of their children. It is well.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by NextD18: 1:48pm On May 03, 2020
Mode of argument and anger expression differs.

Some people naturally have high voices when angry and some people don't care who's around whenever they are expressing their anger or voicing out.

Y'all should stop deceiving yourselves believing in social media fantasies of "I can't argue before my kids or darling let's go to the bedroom and argue because of the kids".

Who calls his or her partner darling or sweetheart when angry in a heated argument?

Can I argue before my kids? Yes, I can because we are one family and there's nothing wrong and violent about argument.

If you think it's unwise and improper to argue before your kids, then you are a product of unwise parents because you saw your parents argue. YOU DID.

8 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Mariangeles(f): 1:58pm On May 03, 2020
vandp:

I hope you are married, share your experience first.

You should know from me wanting to know from the experienced... undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by cococandy(f): 1:59pm On May 03, 2020
Argument is not bad. I think we often use that word in place of fight. You can have a healthy argument in front of your kids. But fight? no no.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Mariangeles(f): 2:00pm On May 03, 2020
cruxgemmata:

If u argue infront of ur kids.. U have done ursef more harm than good. That kid that sees u arguing wil one day be affected by what he has seen and may hamper his decision making with opposite sex. He or she may also be difficult to handle at some point. Some become mysogynist, some become misandrist

In what ever scenario. Do not argue in front of ur kids. Infact be loving to ur partner even if there's an arguing ongoing when they are present

What if they're faced with such a situation later in life? How would they know how to handle it?
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Evablizin(f): 2:01pm On May 03, 2020
It's not right at all.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Mariangeles(f): 2:02pm On May 03, 2020
cococandy:
Argument is not bad. I think we often use that word in place of fight. You can have a healthy argument in front of your kids. But fight? no no.

Yes, argument not fight.
People tend to misunderstand the two words.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Hathor5(f): 2:02pm On May 03, 2020
If you are able to argue within boundaries, no shouting and no insults, you can set a good example to your children. It is good for them to know that conflict is normal in relationships and how to resolve it civilly.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 03, 2020
Mariangeles:

What if they're faced with such a situation later in life? How would they know how to handle it?

First u will have to know the source of their situation.

When a source is known. Rehabilitation will commence thats if the affected party seeks help.

What am saying here is that the source of their situation(if they are faced with it in future) shouldn't come from parents. That has always proven difficult to solve.

For example Some people bcome misogynist through dating experience. Trust me that can be solved better than if its caused by parental factors caused by parents by arguing and fighting in their presence as kids.

Just saying
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by cococandy(f): 2:21pm On May 03, 2020
Mariangeles:

Yes, argument not fight.

In that case. Healthy argument on a wholesome topic is in fact beneficial to kids

2 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by ImaIma1(f): 2:27pm On May 03, 2020
One time my husband and I got carried away and were arguing. Our 2 year old shouted and said "mummy stop talking to daddy, daddy stop talking to mummy".

We both stopped.

We swore never to do that in front of kids.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Evablizin(f): 2:28pm On May 03, 2020
NextD18:

Some people naturally have high voices when angry and some people don't care who's around whenever they are expressing their anger or voicing out.

Y'all should stop deceiving yourselves believing in social media fantasies of "I can't argue before my kids or darling let's go to the bedroom and argue because of the kids".

Who calls his or her partner darling or sweetheart when angry in a heated argument?

Can I argue before my kids? Yes, I can because we are one family and there's nothing wrong and violent about argument.

If you think it's unwise and improper to argue before your kids, then y'all are products of unwise parents because y'all saw your parents argue. YOU ALL DID.grin
shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Hathor5(f): 2:41pm On May 03, 2020
NextD18:

If you think it's unwise and improper to argue before your kids, then you are a product of unwise parents because you saw your parents argue. YOU DID.

grin
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Mariangeles(f): 2:51pm On May 03, 2020
NextD18:

lipsrsealed
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by zed7: 4:27pm On May 03, 2020
Any married person will know that it's a fantasy to take arguments away from the kids. Arguments are spontaneous and most times you don't even remember the kids are there.
However, it will be in the interest of your kids if both parties are calm and not violent. It will even be better if the kids can see you laughing together few moments after the argument.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by moonberry: 5:04pm On May 03, 2020
yes, I am guilty of this, we argue in their presence once in a while. one happened recently, I have a very cool and playful brother in-law , we joke a lot, most times we would playfully put on each others easy wear.
Never knew our playful attitude pisses my hubby so much, that he called me out in the presence of boys that I should never put on his brothers shoe again. I was like.... what's your p..? has he complained to you? look you can't tell me that o.
He said ....is he your brother? So I told him yes he is my bro, and there nothing you can do about my being jovial with him. Next thing he said was if I should try it again he will send me back to my people let him come and marry me then, all this happened in the presence of our boys o.
Next day I ran to the kitchen barefooted to check what I was cooking, my eldest son ran after me with my shoes telling me that..... mum take your shoes, don't go and wear uncle's own again because I don't want my daddy to send you back to grandmas. I just lol.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by TANTUMERGO007(m): 5:27pm On May 03, 2020
Evablizin:
It's not right at all.
You left sarrki in politics why now?
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Evablizin(f): 8:58pm On May 03, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
You left sarrki in politics why now?
gringrin,change is constant.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by duchaB(m): 1:52pm On May 05, 2020
cococandy:
Argument is not bad. I think we often use that word in place of fight. You can have a healthy argument in front of your kids. But Jofight? no no.

Sister Coco, what if argument turn to fight.
The kids wld be yelling with teary eyes, Daddy stop all this na,
Mum,you always arguing..
how many people have you been in a heated argument with that it didn't turn into a serious altercations, name calling and maybe slugging each other?

I think its a bad idea.
That was how lil Chidinmas head was broken mistakenly..
Think about it.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by duchaB(m): 1:55pm On May 05, 2020
Mariangeles:

Yes, argument not fight.

Nne, forget this differentiation .. It holds no weight in the field of practical life events.. Do you understand?
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by cococandy(f): 2:04pm On May 05, 2020
Maybe when I was younger and didn’t have kids.
Even then it didn’t happen.
Actually when I was younger I was more prone to shy away from confrontations.

Now that I’m older, I’ll take a confrontation with purpose. I’d never descend to physical altercations or ugly words with someone I love. So I think it’s doable.

But your point is a good point nonetheless.
duchaB:

Sister Coco, what if argument turn to fight.
The kids wld be yelling with teary eyes, Daddy stop all this na,
Mum,you always arguing..
how many people have you been in a heated argument with that it didn't turn into a serious altercations, name calling and maybe slugging each other?

I think its a bad idea.
That was how lil Chidinmas head was broken mistakenly..
Think about it.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by duchaB(m): 2:08pm On May 05, 2020
cococandy:
Maybe when I was younger and didn’t have kids.
Even then it didn’t happen.
Actually when I was younger I was more prone to shy away from confrontations.

Now that I’m older, I’ll take a confrontation with purpose. I’d never descend to physical altercations or ugly words with someone I love. So I think it’s doable.

But your point is a good point nonetheless.

Very well then.
Re: Do You Argue In Front Of Your Kids? by Nissifoods(f): 4:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Who's Currently Experiencing This Or Has Experienced This? / Haier Thermocool Low Voltage AC For Sale / Give Your Property It's Deserved Electrical Planning, Design And Outfit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.