Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi (558 Views)

Messi's Six-word Response To The 2014 World Cup Defeat Finally Revealed / Messi, Aguero, Icardi, Dybala In Argentina's 35 Man Provisional World Cup Squad / BBC Shades Nigeria Over Brazil 2014 World Cup Bonus Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi by akinemma1: 6:26pm On May 09, 2020
When the 23-man squad for Nigeria’s Super Eagles to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil was released, a lot of football fans had mixed feelings as there were some questionable omissions and inclusions.
One of those who almost made the list was 2005 World Youth Championship finalist, Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi who scored Nigeria’s sole goal in the final as Messi’s Argentina ran away 2-1 winners.
Obasi has now revealed events that led to him missing out on what would have been his second senior World Cup final. In a recent chat on Instagram Live, Obasi disclosed that his failure to part with money resulted in his omission from the final squad for the trip to Brazil.
The striker who was at the top of his game at the time with German Bundesliga side, Schalke 04 said he felt heartbroken when he was dropped because he failed to give those in charge money.
He said: ”Two days before the list came out, I was asked to pay some money if I want to be in the team. I felt like I’ve paid my dues for the country, I shouldn’t do this. If I was a young player, maybe I would have done that, but it was a bit personal for me and I felt very heartbroken. I was playing for Schalke, I was playing in the Champions League and I was doing well.
“I was supposed to move from Hoffenheim to England and I got injured playing for Nigeria at the World Cup [in South Africa]. After that competition, nobody called me to know how I am doing. I spent a lot of money to get fit. All people talked about was the injury. They don’t care to know what I went through on a daily basis making sure I get my body in shape, to stay healthy.
“It takes a lot of dedication, money, investing in myself and my body. I went through surgery, did everything I can. Now a competition is coming up, you’re inviting me to the national team. I’ve exhausted my own money and you want me to pay, which is a slap in the face for me.
“I said I’m not comfortable doing that. They said I should know the system, and I should act like I’m a Nigerian. I said it’s not about being a Nigerian but doing the right thing.”
Obasi last played for Nigeria in a 3-1 international friendly loss to Argentina in 2011.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/i-was-asked-for-bribe-to-make-2014-world-cup-squad-chinedu-obasi/?fbclid=IwAR2kxFz0PiuyJs3xigfy93PoYtfBAg4n8wkrQVVgotdtlWx9-EhR9o1ntAk
Re: I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi by Iyiataata92: 6:27pm On May 09, 2020
You were omitted for not giving bribe and it took you 6 years, 2 AFCON championships, another world and a coronavirus enforced break before you could expose the evil going on.
What can we do for you now that I have even forgotten the coach that took Nigeria to that World Cup?
Seems like you were later having regrets for not giving the bribe.

If you really hate evil, speak out immediately it happens. Maybe a social media campaign might have got you a place in the team then
Re: I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi by Balaxx: 6:28pm On May 09, 2020
I shame for my country

Re: I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi by festacman(m): 6:35pm On May 09, 2020
Re: I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi by Pentasoft1978: 6:47pm On May 09, 2020
Iyiataata92:
You were omitted for not giving bribe and it took you 6 years, 2 AFCON championships, another world and a coronavirus enforced break before you could expose the evil going on.
What can we do for you now that I have even forgotten the coach that took Nigeria to that World Cup?
Seems like you were later having regrets for not giving the bribe.

If you really hate evil, speak out immediately it happens. Maybe a social media campaign might have got you a place in the team then

what would you had done. social media campaign my foot. Sharia chief judge has converted abaca's loot to abaca's asset, why can't you do social media campaign?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Asked For Bribe To Make 2014 World Cup Squad – Chinedu Obasi by Eagleboney(m): 6:50pm On May 09, 2020
Archangel Obasi

(1) (Reply)

Download Video: Sheffield Utd Vs Arsenal 1-2 All Goals & Highlights / Breaking News: Hushpuppi Tried To Scam An EPL Club / Meet Nigeria's First Ever Olympic Medalist Who Is Now Blind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.