Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing (48001 Views)

Supersports Asks You To Select The Greatest Ever African In The Premier League / Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player / 10 Facts About Nwankwo Kanu As He Celebrate His 42nd Birthday Today (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 12, 2020
Arsene Wenger picks his greatest-ever Arsenal January signing... no, not Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang but cult hero Kanu, who he picked up for just £4m from Inter Milan in 1999

Arsene Wenger has named Nwankwo Kanu ahead of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as his best January signing while manager of Arsenal.

Kanu joined the Gunners in 1999 after making the move from Inter Milan for a fee of £4.15million and he quickly became an important player in the second half of his first season.

He came off the bench in his first few games, netting goals against Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa and north  London rivals  Tottenham.  

The striker scored 17 goals in his first full season, including a 15-minute hat-trick against Chelsea, and helped his side reach the UEFA Cup final. 

When asked about his best piece of business in the January window, Wenger opted for the Nigerian over Aubameyang, who he signed from Borussia Dortmund in 2018.

'What a difficult question. Over 20 years, maybe Kanu. In the middle of the season. That had a big impact and he was a huge player,' he told beIN Sport. 

Kanu was popular among Arsenal fans during his five-and-a-half years at the club. He was part of the Invincibles team from 2003-2004 and managed 43 Premier League goals in 195 games.

He went on to play for West Brom and Portsmouth where he finished his career in 2012.

Wenger signed Aubameyang from Dortmund for what was a club record fee of £56m.

The striker managed 10 goals in the remainder of the 2017-2018 before scoring 31 in all competitions during his first full season at the club.

The Gabon international was on 20 for the current campaign before football was suspended in March.

Wenger, who is now working as FIFA's chief of global football development, revealed he is not a supporter of the mid-season transfer window and believes it should be scrapped.

'No, I am not [in favour of it]. Because I think it is like a race in a marathon where you change the shoes halfway,' he added.

'It is not right, when once you have started the season, you have to finish the season with the same players.

'Or you keep it open the whole season like it was when I arrived in England. They have chosen a rule that is not right.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8311453/Arsene-Wenger-snubs-Aubameyang-picking-capture-Kanu-1999-best-January-signing.html

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Exc2000: 6:35pm On May 12, 2020
cool

Papilo was a great striker, no doudt

269 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Golan007: 7:06pm On May 12, 2020
My favourite Nigerian player of all time.

120 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Ubykcee(m): 8:58pm On May 12, 2020
Kanu was a great player and African pride during his days. Congratulations guy.

158 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Ekakamba: 8:58pm On May 12, 2020

Papilo, I know say one day you go make us proud. grin tongue

240 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Honor10: 8:58pm On May 12, 2020
Papilo was a great striker, although okocha was more skillful but kanu has greater achievement and was more celebrated.

To think okocha never won African best, was beyond me.

99 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Lovelies1: 8:58pm On May 12, 2020
Peak milk that year

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by masterflowx(m): 8:58pm On May 12, 2020
Kanu is the greatest!

Meanwhile, Does Cristiano Ronaldo know that he is selling Titus fish and Turkey at Ipaja Lagos?

201 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by seeker121(m): 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
Naso a legend needs to be recognise and celebrated.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by izzy4shizzy(m): 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
papilo I know say one day you go make us proud

my favourite advert that year

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by malali: 8:59pm On May 12, 2020

11 Likes

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
Sarrki will not like this.
Igbo amaka

Cc lzaa

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by NwaNimo1(m): 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
That's why you were sacked....

[img]https://media./images/bae9f9ee3bf793a0bb667d8e4ccb9883/tenor.gif[/img]

43 goals......in 195 games,

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by festacman(m): 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
FULL TIME

Premier League. Chelsea vs Arsenal.
12:00am, Saturday 23rd October 1999.
Stamford Bridge Attendance: 34,958.

Chelsea 2:3 Arsenal

T Flo (38') D Petrescu (52')

N Kanu (75', 83', 90')

What a day. What a player.

Chelsea fans please forgive me but I have to do this. grin

128 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by rawtouch: 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
papilo

di amara

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Tranquility4u: 8:59pm On May 12, 2020
Kanu is arguably the best striker ever played for Nigeria

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Bojack(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
Papillo

3 Likes

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by atheistandproud(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
King Kanu

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by LibertyRep: 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
He must have made a great deal of profit from Kanu as per Baba Ijebu wey him be.

Papilo was a great player but onshore and offshore

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by tareigns(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
Papilo....one of the few Nigerians that stayed in England for over a decade and his accent didn't change. Unlike some people that will travel to Ghana and they will miraculously have an accent like James bond.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by babatee90(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
H

1 Like

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by elyte89: 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
The man dt NEVER SCORED IN A NATIONS CUP TOURNEY ,despite representing us 6IX TIMES cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by EatforHealth: 9:00pm On May 12, 2020
Kanu is the most successful Nigerian football export to the world

Kudos to Wenger for believing in him despite his heart condition back then

Legends

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by EatforHealth: 9:01pm On May 12, 2020
I remember that Kanu hattrick against Chelsea from two goals down, and the commentator’s statement

Kan U believe it!!!!! smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJlBsw_QcM

76 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by bigdammyj: 9:01pm On May 12, 2020
Papilo! Papilo!! Papilo!!!I know say some how, you're making us proud

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by Moneywirer: 9:02pm On May 12, 2020
I wish Arsenal could go back to being a great team.... But that's almost impossible sad

1 Like

Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by faithfull18(f): 9:02pm On May 12, 2020
Ok.
Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by kemii2520: 9:02pm On May 12, 2020
[color=#] 970878[/color]
Re: Wenger Picks Kanu As His Greatest-ever Arsenal January Signing by landmark86: 9:02pm On May 12, 2020
Legendary

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Likes And Comments On A Video Mocking Messi’s Ballon D’or. / Late Ugo Ehiogu's Last Tweet Goes Viral / Mohamed Salah Celebrates Golden Boot Win With Hilarious Tweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.