Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems (763 Views)

Any Database Administrator In The House? / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 5:34am On Jan 14, 2011
anyone in this field?

I am interested in changing to database programming, i am also interested in GIS, i am wondering is it best to take database courses first, before i take the GIS certificate class, from what I have read without knowing the root of database programming to do GIS is not a good idea, anyone have ideas?
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by paule: 4:09pm On Jan 14, 2011
start with Oracle Certification Associate or SQL server 2008
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 6:13pm On Jan 14, 2011
ok thanks, here in the states they have a 2 year program for the database and they also have an certification program for the GIS as well as a 2 year program, shall i still go the way you suggested?
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by paule: 7:36am On Jan 17, 2011
Okay if is what you mean by that go for the latter (certification program for the GIS as well as a  2 year program) cos you will acquire both IT and GIS experience but bear in mind that you will be taught mainly IT in GIS classes with geography, geophysics or geo-science
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 7:38am On Jan 17, 2011
ok thank you, u are able to venture to differnt sectors within gis correct? like oil and gas etc?
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by paule: 8:54am On Jan 17, 2011
Of course though u will be able to venture to different sectors with IT skills esp in the oil & gas industry. I started with core IT and have supported sub-surface/GIS, production, telecoms in oil & gas industry. Good luck!
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 5:00pm On Jan 17, 2011
can we exchange emails if u don't mind
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by paule: 7:47am On Jan 18, 2011
ezeamama_paul@yahoo.com/+2347032030566
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by Iretia(m): 11:17am On Jan 21, 2011
aminalib:

anyone in this field?

I am interested in changing to database programming, i am also interested in GIS, i am wondering is it best to take database courses first, before i take the GIS certificate class, from what I have read without knowing the root of database programming to do GIS is not a good idea, anyone have ideas?

I will suggest that you look at Oracle Spatial (8i -11g) These versions of Oracle have SDO (Spatial Data Object) capability that made them ideal for GIS more than your typical Non-spatial Oracle version.

Yes i agree, you may require a strong foundation in GIS to function better as a database programmer with special emphasis on GIS.

If you are asking which one you should take first, then may l suggest that you start with GIS and build appreciation for geographic databases. Most GIS databases programers have very strong background in GIS, but not all GIS experts need strong background in database programming.
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2011
i reaaly appreciate your information
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by Iretia(m): 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2011
aminalib:

i reaaly appreciate your information

If you are in Lagos, May i offer you a free GIS appreciation course. I have an office at Masha Surulere, i have the systems, GIS software, and data. You'll also gain industry experience of how MTN and UBA PLC are using GIS. I laso have the right GIS resource person to help you on a good start.

If this does interest you, please let me know.
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 3:48pm On Jan 21, 2011
nice offer, i wish i could but i'm in usa. how long u been into gis?
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by Iretia(m): 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2011
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by aminalib(f): 8:33pm On Jan 21, 2011
wow am impressed, may i have ur email as well i want to ask questions pertaining to mtn
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by Iretia(m): 11:35am On Jan 24, 2011
aminalib:

wow am impressed, may i have your email as well i want to ask questions pertaining to mtn

See my blog here. http://www.lagosstreetmap..com
Re: Any Database Programmers Or Geographical Information Systems by kliverpool(m): 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2011
i will like to come for the free lecture
i am in Lagos. I am a geographer working i the oil sector

thanks

(1) (Reply)

I Need An Information On An Interior Deco Institutions In Nigeria. / Advise Please / I Dont Know If You Will Be Interested In This Check It Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.