Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? (12149 Views)

How Tribal Marks Came In Use (yoruba). / Troubled Dust : Latest Work By Author Of Eze Goes To School / World Fantasy Award Goes To Nnedi Okorafor! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by daniboy(m): 1:08pm On Jan 26, 2006
can anyone please tell me why this books are
no longer in use in schools today, because i could remember
la comb mathematics text box as the basics for maths
foundation while in primary school and it did help me,,,
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by hotangel2(f): 3:10am On Jan 27, 2006
lol cheesy cheesy cheesy

Well i guess things are improving.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Okwy(f): 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2006
it's cos other more interesting and easy to solve books are produced now.they more easier to solve than the older ones.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 11:20pm On May 20, 2006
Eze goes to school is still a classic and I would recommend it to anybody.

Does anybody still remember "The Adventures of Souza"? That novel is about the antics of a mischevious boy growing up in Africa. Read it.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by mamaput(f): 12:10pm On May 22, 2006
My first reading book was I have forgotten the name but it started

This is okafor okafor is a boy
This is Ngozi Ngozi is a girl

Then the igbo book icant write igbo but it went like this
see a white the white is beautiful ,. It was a picture of a white person.

It is clear that changes must come.
Even the maths my kids do not do it the way we did they use another method.
The funny thing is that sometimes when i teach my kids the Nigerian methon the teacher looks quit intrested.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Dauda(m): 9:17am On May 29, 2006
Eze goes to school. I read that book in class one back in the days. That was a good book.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by messiah(m): 4:55pm On Jun 02, 2006
if i can remember correctly,i think there's a sort of gender abuse in the book, Eze Goes to School.Some gender equality proponents criticise the book of it's indication of male intellectual superiority over women.If u can remember,Eze's father told him never to let that girl in his class(i think her name's chinwe) to beat him to the 1st position in class.I believe that's a sure enough reason for the book to give these critics a good enough reason to send the book to the gallows
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by spikelord(m): 8:51am On Jun 03, 2006
Without A silver spoon had replaced Eze goes to school in Most Federal Government Colleges
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 10:27pm On Jun 03, 2006
Wao!!!. Without a silver spoon. I think I read the novel. Wasnt it about some kid whose uncle brought him to their house in the city and he had to labor for the family amidst hostilities from his wife?

Eze goes to school should not be banned at all. Rather it should be taught in schools to showcase the ignorance of some people in perpetuating gender bias in their lives. Eze's father's warning that he should never ever let a girl beat him in school is one of them.

What happened to Macmillan novels? Are they still in vogue? I read some of them in primary school.

Who would remember the story line ,  "Edet is 8 years old, he lives in Calabar with his parents, Mr. and Mrs Bassey ,  It goes on.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by MerC2(f): 9:12pm On Jul 02, 2006
Eze goes to school was BAM BAM!
Lacombe on the other hand was shit!
Afterall I never liked math. I still don't. undecided
They should re-introduce Eze goes to school.
Classic book I tell ya, kiss
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by dollypee1(f): 10:57pm On Jul 12, 2006
STUDENTS ARE STILL USING EZE GOES TO SCHL IN NIGERIA ESPECIALLY D PUBLIC PRIMARY SCHLS.NOEC,BRIGHTER GRAMMER,MASTERN ENGLISH,ALAWIYE,SUGAR GIRL,D ONLY CHILD,DIS CONKY AND SIMBA BOOK,CANT REALLY REMEMBER D NAME ,UGO C UGO ,ARE ALL STILL IN USE BUT ONLY IN PRIMARY SCHLS.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by kodewrita(m): 11:44am On Dec 05, 2006
I saw someone make a reference to Ugo C Ugo. You must be a member of the younger generation, have you ever heard of ODIAKA? that text performs the same functions that Ugo currently does and was more comprehensive, I think it is now out of print but can't be sure.

As to the others, let everyone know that nowadays choice of textbook is heavily politicised. If you are a writer with connections, your textbook or novel can become the recommended text for one or more states and possibly the federation and as connections go, they live and die and hence books that are being used today may be pulled off the shelves because they have lost their "long leg" backing.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 10:16pm On Dec 15, 2006
Who has read this book, "Time changes yesterday"? I have forgotten the author's name.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by bluenubian(f): 10:18pm On Dec 15, 2006
sounds very familiar, i bet i read it, can u give me a lil hint of what it was about?, i still cant remember how the "bottled leopard" ended
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 10:27pm On Dec 15, 2006
The story was about a little girl, called "Enitan", who was always trying to matchmake her widowed father with single women. She was a pre-teen girl, mind you, so it was quite mind boggling that the author would have bestowed such characteristics on the girl, now, when I think of it. Anyway, a female teacher took a keen interest in her well being and she saw that as an opportunity to hook her up with her father. They started dating, much to the disapproval of the elder daughter who hated her sister's teacher with a passion. Finally, the couple broke up tempoarily, without some past revelations about the teacher though. Her own fiance had died in a motor accident, just one week before their wedding, and months after this tragic incident, her tummy was protruding. People advised her to get an abortion, but she refused, she wanted to keep the child, as a memory of her dead fiance. At the end of the novel, she and her pupil's teacher had gotten in touch again, his elder daughter finally warmed upto her, and they got married.

Do I support out of wedlock pregnancy/premarital sex? No.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by bluenubian(f): 10:29pm On Dec 15, 2006
hmm was it a play?, its beginning to ring a bell
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 10:33pm On Dec 15, 2006
No, it wasnt a play. Dont know the author's name.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by jacq(f): 6:33pm On Mar 09, 2007
Sugar girl was my fav.book back then.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Shagari2(m): 12:04am On Apr 07, 2007
Could it be because Eze has graduated and todays kids learn maths quicker make money online than they ever could through Lacomb.

I kind of liked Akin the drummer boy myself
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Nobody: 12:10am On Apr 07, 2007
Eze's mother must have stopped selling bread by now. grin

I hated lacombe's, the red one was ok the green one was a badge of absolute terror!
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by JayBaby1(f): 12:13am On Apr 07, 2007
because the story does not go on with today's reality and life style - Eze goes to school, okay - so what did he do there?
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 2:14am On Nov 25, 2007
Jay, the plot of Eze Goes to school rings true in certain parts of Nigeria, ruled by lack of property rights to widows.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Tylenol: 5:59am On Dec 02, 2007
Hey! About Time Changes Yesterday, I think the author's name's Nyegi Coin or something like that. Can't really remember but I do remember the book. I was the narrator in English class. smiley
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 12:26am On Dec 03, 2007
Tylenol, thanks for giving me an idea on the author's name. I looked it up on the web and his name is Nyengi Koin
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Nobody: 5:34am On Dec 11, 2007
Who's read second chance by Nyengi koin?
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by realdemi(f): 5:54pm On Dec 13, 2007
yeap! I've read both Second Chance and time changes Yesterday by Nyengi Koin. He's a simple and easy-to-read auhtor and very concise too.

@topic
Larcombe was quite insurmountable to me as a kid, Eze goes to school seems to be an all-time favorite.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by realdemi(f): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2007
I've read Second Chance like 10-12 times grin grin grin
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by PTH(m): 2:57am On Dec 17, 2007
I read "the bottled leopard" so many times . . . beautifully captured teenage love.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2008
I love those books, especially that Lacomb.Then in primary school it was like a call for war when my class teacher called for the book.More than half of the students in my class hated the mathematics.I read Eze Goes to School while in Primary 3.I still remember the story about Eze's poor background,he do take cassava and vegetable soup as breakfast and he had to go and live with his Headmaster and the like.I've forgotten the rest.I think that Lacomb should be re-introduced in primary schools because to me then, the book really presented mathematics at primary level in its simplest form unlike what we have today when publisher just publish to make money.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Austynzogs: 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2008
I read Eze Goes To School back in class one at St Augustines' Grammer School,Ibusa in the then Bendel State. I keep hoping that our local movie producers will make out a very good movie from the Novel's adaptation.Same thing with Chike and the River. We need to get our children to read these Nigerian classics and watching them on movies will be great.
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by lucabrasi(m): 10:29pm On Mar 20, 2008
eze and akin the drummer boy ll be married with children by now smiley

anyone know the title of the book, mr giwa is a trader,he has many wives
Re: Eze Goes To School And Lacomb Not In Use Today? by Ndipe(m): 12:41am On Mar 23, 2008
http://lagosana..com/

The author of the classic, "Eze goes to school" is covered on the above blog in celebration of his 80th birthday. That novel is a classic, infact, I think it would reverberate among children struggling to eke out a living, not just in Nigeria, but in West Africa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ideal (18+) [book 4 Of Xav-verse] [completed] / License 2 Kill / History Of Igboland And Origin Of Onicha Ado By Ikechukwu Ayo Aduba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.