Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! (281 Views)

Oba Saheed Elegushi In Deep Sorrow, Loses Only Son & Heir Apparent / The Pains And Cry Of African Child. / A 18 Years Old Nigeria Boy With The Fastest 400 Meter Time In Worldwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! by star4ever: 1:39am On May 18, 2020
I have a 42 years old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason . Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.
Re: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! by jeffizy(m): 3:21am On May 18, 2020
Hello Poster.
I deeply sympathize with you over your brother's addiction and it's effect on the whole family.

From what you have written here, it shows you really care about him and you couldn't have done more under the prevailing circumstances.

He however needs the tough love approach from the family, since the addiction has started making him go beyond reasoning by molesting his mum physically.

I think it's high time you commit him to psychiatric facility for a longer period of time, if affordable, then don't check up on him physically.

He'll reach that low point where reasoning and logic will take over him.

Once again, you have reached out far and beyond for him, at 42, he has his cross to bear.
Re: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! by star4ever: 3:42am On May 18, 2020
The facilities couldn't keep him longer than three months due to demands for bed space by new patients.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your comment.
Re: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! by star4ever: 3:43am On May 18, 2020
jeffizy:
Hello Poster.
I deeply sympathize with you over your brother's addiction and it's effect on the whole family.

From what you have written here, it shows you really care about him and you couldn't have done more under the prevailing circumstances.

He however needs the tough love approach from the family, since the addiction has started making him go beyond reasoning by molesting his mum physically.

I think it's high time you commit him to psychiatric facility for a longer period of time, if affordable, then don't check up on him physically.

He'll reach that low point where reasoning and logic will take over him.

Once again, you have reached out far and beyond for him, at 42, he has his cross to bear.

Thank you for your advise.
Re: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! by longetivity(m): 5:49am On May 18, 2020
God will heal him
Re: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow! by madprophet(m): 6:30pm On May 19, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 years old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason . Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.

Try contact pastor Tony rapu he has a rehab center.

He should be able to help

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Latest Nigeria Newspaper Headlines For Today, Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 / Police Killed Breonna Taylor In Her Home And This Is The First Time We Hear / Why Is First Bank Mean And Wicked ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.