Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,223 members, 7,815,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! (61895 Views)

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 8:10am On May 18, 2020
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.

136 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ejenavi18(f): 8:30am On May 18, 2020
He should be readmitted to a psychiatric hospital. I think he's suffering from a relapse since he has already been on admission before.
Afterwards he should be made to undergo rehabilitation at the Drug Abuse Treatment Education and Research(DATER) unit of the hospital.
If it's possible to change his environment after rehabilitation, do that as well.
Also, who are his close friends? Are they into drugs as well? If that's the case he has to stop being around such persons.
It takes a lot of effort for most people to overcome Mental and Behavioural Disorder (MBD) due to psychoactive substance abuse.
I have a friend who's into substance abuse just like your brother. Currently he's been readmitted again for the 3rd time since he suffered a relapse just last year, a promising young guy like that.

236 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 8:33am On May 18, 2020
He needs to see a good psychologist and undergo certain therapies. Everyone deserves a second chance.

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 9:19am On May 18, 2020
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

72 Likes 22 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Bola146(f): 9:20am On May 18, 2020
He needs a good rehabilitation center to go to. Also be praying for him, there is nothing prayer can't do.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Mstick: 9:28am On May 18, 2020
Your God must be a crack head then, why not punish the parents for their do called evil instead of the child that has nothing to do with it?

I am guessing you feel you're well trained right?! If you were you would know this simple rule, if you've nothing nice to say don't say anything.

adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

383 Likes 31 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by LadySarah: 9:32am On May 18, 2020
It takes a whole lot of Divine Grace.,will and therapy to overcome these. More so a reason.
Is he even willing to?

I've seen a lot of them quit cos of their children or health or personal convictions. Therapy will help change his perspective. Not forgetting the power of prayer.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by LadySarah: 9:33am On May 18, 2020
adontcare:

Something is wrong with you.
Thieves and cultists who give birth to morally upright ppl abound. Did they plant leaves?

381 Likes 19 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 9:35am On May 18, 2020
LadySarah:
It takes a whole lot of Divine Grace.,will and therapy to overcome these. More so a reason.
Is he even willing to?

Not willing. All the efforts were forcefully made.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 9:38am On May 18, 2020
LadySarah:
Is he even willing to?

I've seen a lot of them quit cos of their children or health or personal convictions. Therapy will help change his perspective. Not forgetting the power of prayer.

Thank you for your contribution.

4 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 9:39am On May 18, 2020
Bola146:
He needs a good rehabilitation center to go to. Also be praying for him, there is nothing prayer can't do.

Thank you.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by LadySarah: 9:43am On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

Not willing. All the efforts were forcefully made.

He isn't a child anymore so a psychologist is direly needed to get into his brain. A change of tactic too. Showing him firm love

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ningen(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2020
What??
He beats up your aged mum, his own mother??

DISOWN HIM.
It's time for your “aged” mother to rest!

He's an adult of 42yrs, mentally institutionalized twice and declared “fit” for the society. Gifted a job but only to quit. Doesn't want to earn a living and only into drugs. Una don try, GOD knows.

110 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 9:45am On May 18, 2020
LadySarah:

Something is wrong with you.
Thieves and cultists who give birth to morally upright ppl abound. Did they plant leaves?
ur opinion though. I think it's u that something is wrong with. No parent bring up a child in a proper way and reap calamities. Do well and read the book of Proverbs. Also read the laws of karma

16 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 9:47am On May 18, 2020
Ejenavi18:
He should be readmitted to a psychiatric hospital. I think he's suffering from a relapse since he has already been on admission before.
Afterwards he should be made to undergo rehabilitation at the Drug Abuse Treatment Education and Research(DATER) unit of the hospital.
If it's possible to change his environment after rehabilitation, do that as well.
Also, who are his close friends? Are they into drugs as well? If that's the case he has to stop being around such persons.
It takes a lot of effort for most people to overcome Mental and Behavioural Disorder (MBD) due to psychoactive substance abuse.
I have a friend who's into substance abuse just like your brother. Currently he's been readmitted again for the 3rd time since he suffered a relapse just last year, a promising young guy like that.

Most of his friends that started this lifestyle with him later abandoned drug abuse. All of them are now married and have education, families and means of livelihood.

As you recommended, we may need to change to another Psychiatric hospital. Please can you recommend any?

3 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ningen(m): 9:49am On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother.

Oh. Please, shut up.

Don't dare blame the parents for an unknown “evil or sin” you know nothing about. There's no room for that here. Sending her on a wild goose chase when the problem is obvious — DRUGS!!

134 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 9:50am On May 18, 2020
Mstick:
Your God must be a crack head then, why not punish the parents for their do called evil instead of the child that has nothing to do with it?

I am guessing you feel you're well trained right?! If you were you would know this simple rule, if you've nothing nice to say don't say anything.

well, from ur comment here, I think I already know that. It apply both ways. God is not mocked

5 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 9:50am On May 18, 2020
Fabulouzjoseph:
He needs to see a good psychologist and undergo certain therapies. Everyone deserves a second chance.

He will refuse to see any psychologist... The matter no be small thing..
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 9:51am On May 18, 2020
Ningen:

Oh. Please, shut up.

Don't dare blame the parents for an unknown “evil or sin” you know nothing about. There's no room for that here. Sending her on a wild goose chase when the problem is obvious — DRUGS!!
abi? Time and Time again people tend to ignore d spiritual and faces the physical. I will shut up but no man plant mango and reap guava

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ejenavi18(f): 9:54am On May 18, 2020
I will recommend Federal Neuropsychiatric hospital Uselu, Benin city or Federal Neuropsychiatric hospital Aro, Abeokuta.
Cc: Star4ever

19 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ningen(m): 9:57am On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
abi? Time and Time again people tend to ignore d spiritual and faces the physical. I will shut up but no man plant mango and reap guava

But yet, here you are trying to reap gauva on a mango tree. OP said “drugs” and you're saying something else about parental sins. undecided

123 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 9:59am On May 18, 2020
Ningen:

But yet, here you are trying to reap gauva on a mango tree. OP said “drugs” and you're saying something else about parental sins. undecided
I rest my case

4 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 10:00am On May 18, 2020
Ningen:
What??
He beats up your aged mum, his own mother??

DISOWN HIM.
It's time for your “aged” mother to rest!

He's an adult of 42yrs, mentally institutionalized twice and declared “fit” for the society. Gifted a job but only to quit. Doesn't want to earn a living and only into drugs. Una don try, GOD knows.

Yes, he beats up his mum and those around him particularly when he needs money for his drugs and no one is willing to give.

Honestly, have been through a lot. Now, many relatives and friends have deserted us due to fear of being molested when they visit.

5 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ningen(m): 10:03am On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

Yes, he beats up his mum and those around him particularly when he needs money for his drugs and no one is willing to give.

Honestly, have been through a lot. Now, many relatives and friends have deserted us due to fear of being molested when they visit.

12 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ejenavi18(f): 10:15am On May 18, 2020
[quote author=Ningen post=89675847][/quote] Haba! It has not come to this point na? Disowning him won't help.

He has a mental Illness and needs to be treated. What if they disown him and he slips into depression? And of course you know what depression can lead to.

6 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Octopusssy(f): 10:21am On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
What kind of comment is this for God's sake?

58 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Octopusssy(f): 10:30am On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
The word "Karma" according to Hindu and Buddhist relegions referes to the belief that all good and bad things that you do in this life affects how good or bad your future life will turnout to be.

Here are the 12 Laws Of KARMA and how they are applicable in our everyday lives.

1) The great law; " As you sow, so shall you reap", this is also known as the law of cause of and effect. Whatever you put out in the universe is what comes back to you. If you want happiness, peace, friendship and love. Then you need to be happy, peaceful, friendly and loving.

2)The law of creation; life does not just happen, it requires our participation as we are connected with the universe both inside and out. Whatever surrounds us gives a clue to our inner state. Be and do yourself. Do what you want to have in life.

3) The law of humanity: " what you refuse to accept will keep following you". If what we perceive is an enemy, or someone with a character trait that we find to be negative. Then we ourselves are not focused on a higher level of existence.

4)The law of growth: "wherever you go there you are". For us to grow in spirit it is "we" who need to change and not the people, places or things around us. When we change our thoughts and behaviour our lives changes too.

5) The law of responsibility; " whenever there is something wrong, we can find the errors within our thinking perception". We mirror what surrounds us, and what surrounds us mirrors our lives.

6) The law of connection; "even if something we do seem inconsequential it is very important that it gets done as everything in the universe is connected". Each step leads to the next step.

7) The law of focus: " you can't think of two things at the sometime". When our thoughts is on spiritual values, it is impossible for us to have lower thoughts such as greed and anger.

cool The law of giving and hospitality: "when we believe something to be true. Then something in your life will be called upon to demonstrate the truth. We put what we say we have learned into practice.

9) The law of here and now; "looking back to examine what was, prevents us from totally being in the here and now". Old thoughts, old pattern of behaviour, old dreams. Prevents us from having new ones.

10) The law of change: " history repeats itself until we learn lessons that we need to change our paths".

11) The law of patience and rewards: " all rewards require initial toil". Rewards of of lasting value requires patient and persistent toil.

12) The law of significant inspiration: " you get back from something whatever you've put into it" the value of something is a direct result of the energy and the intent that was put into it. Every personal contribution is also a contribution to the whole. Lacklustre contributions have no impact on the whole.
Oh just shut it! You sit down in your cubicle and act all sanctimonious, running your mouth here and forgetting that many times we are entirely responsible for our own poor choices and actions.

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by cococandy(f): 10:41am On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
undecided

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by cococandy(f): 10:43am On May 18, 2020
God has heard it all. Sigh

2 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by cococandy(f): 10:44am On May 18, 2020
OP he may need to be involuntarily institutionalized again.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 10:47am On May 18, 2020
Ejenavi18:

Haba!
It has not come to this point na?
Disowning him won't help.

He has a mental Illness and needs to be treated.
What if they disown him and he slips into depression?
And of course you know what depression can lead to.

Will disowning him also give the right to banish him from our family house where he currently lives to terrorise everyone? Our father is late. Can any member of the family stand in the gap of declaring him disowned? What does the law say concerning this?

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging / Meet Monica Okoye With 12 Children, 36 Grandchildren, 43 Great Grandchildren / Baby Squeezes Face In Video After Tasting Something Bitter For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.