Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? (554 Views)

Alaafin Told Us His Forefathers Were Calling Him Two Weeks Ago - Aide / God Told Me To Become Soun Of Ogbomoso – RCCG's Pastor Olaoye / 6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 10:43am On May 19, 2020
Growing up in the rural area was fun.

Then we were guided with lots of scary stories and myths to moderate our behaviour, though I only get to know as I was getting older.

One was a mammy-water that will always come out in the afternoon to bath her children and wash her dishes in the stream. So, we were barred from going to the stream in the afternoon. It was later I discovered that it was to prevent us from the heat of the sun. We only went to the stream early in the morning or later in the evening.

Another one is that we were told never to squart while eating because the food will immediately pass out of our anus. This tought us to sit well while eating.

Were you told any that influenced your behaviour?
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by chatinent: 10:52am On May 19, 2020
All I remember was spaghetti always being a slayqueen on my rubber spoon.
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Sabby1(m): 11:15am On May 19, 2020
One that still marvel me is the tale about removal of milk tooth and lizard or rat wheeling away with it
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 19, 2020
Sabby1:
One that still marvel is the tale about removal of milk tooth and lizard or rat wheeling away with it

We disposed our tooth by adding seven small stones to the tooth, turn our backs to our house and throw them on the roof.

We were almost sent packing due to this.

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by SeamT: 1:07pm On May 19, 2020
The mammy water myth might be true. I know some who have experienced it

1 Like

Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 19, 2020
SeamT:
The mammy water myth might be true. I know some who have experienced it

Wow, please narrate the experience, let's favor it.

MODs please help to the promised land.
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by SeamT: 7:52pm On May 19, 2020
klap4gbens:

Wow, please narrate the experience, let's favor it.

MODs please help to the promised land.

There is not much to say about it. It happened in delta state.. Ughelli . The guy was sent home for examination fee and According to him they pass through a short cut through a rubber tree plantation where they say the creature with her children at the bank of the river taking their bath. As they(my friend and class mate) get closer they(mammy wata) entered into the water...��
There are also a story about stealing their children attracting blessing from the mammy wata child thief. Well because the mammy wata is willing to do anything to get their child back.

Also the story behind the creation of onitcha bridge

I've heard a lot of stories about their existence that made me believe they are real
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 9:50pm On May 19, 2020
SeamT:

There is not much to say about it. It happened in delta state.. Ughelli . The guy was sent home for examination fee and According to him they pass through a short cut through a rubber tree plantation where they say the creature with her children at the bank of the river taking their bath. As they(my friend and class mate) get closer they(mammy wata) entered into the water...��
There are also a story about stealing their children attracting blessing from the mammy wata child thief. Well because the mammy wata is willing to do anything to get their child back.

Also the story behind the creation of onitcha bridge

I've heard a lot of stories about their existence that made me believe they are real

Some of these things are real actually.

I had an experience while growing up.
I was in primary 4 and had an older cousin who I usually accompany to pick cherry from the bush. The tree was so tall that our stones could not reach any of the fruits, so we settle for any fallen one we meet on the ground.

And, because I feel cheated with the way she shares what we are able to pick, I determined to go alone without her notice.

So, on this very day, I woke so early, say around 4am because we usually go there around 5am so as to get there before others.

As I approached the sloppy footpath before the tree, I had to run down and as I turned towards the tree, I saw this young girl in white apparel at the bottom of the tree, she stood up and entered the tree.

Initially, I was not afraid because of the excitement of having the whole cherry to my self. But, as I was going back home, the fear came. My head became very large, my feet were heavy to move. Till date, my cousin did not know what happened, because I still followed her there the same morning so she wouldn't suspect any thing.
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by SeamT: 10:17pm On May 19, 2020
klap4gbens:

Some of these things are real actually.

I had an experience while growing up.
I was in primary 4 and had an older cousin who I usually accompany to pick cherry from the bush. The tree was so tall that our stones could not reach any of the fruits, so we settle for any fallen one we meet on the ground.

And, because I feel cheated with the way she shares what we are able to pick, I determined to go alone without her notice.

So, on this very day, I woke so early, say around 4am because we usually go there around 5am so as to get there before others.

As I approached the sloppy footpath before the tree, I had to run down and as I turned towards the tree, I saw this young girl in white apparel at the bottom of the tree, she stood up and entered the tree.

Initially, I was not afraid because of the excitement of having the whole cherry to my self. But, as I was going back home, the fear came. My head became very large, my feet were heavy to move. Till date, my cousin did not know what happened, because I still followed her there the same morning so she wouldn't suspect any thing.

Supernatural occurrence are real, as most things we termed as myth were or might be real events that happened in the past. But as we start finding answers to most questions through science. The unexplainable were categorized as myths.

I had similar experience of a young man changing to an old man at 3 am (I was travelling to abuja for nysc that day). And it was fun experiencing it cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by HarryDuce(m): 10:53pm On May 19, 2020
Well, I would consider these to be myths but others might not.

--Whistling at night was prohibited in my house by my mum and Grandma. "It is the devil's language" "It attracts evil spirits and they might answer" they said.

--Crows/Owls screaming or hooting on your roof meant death was lurking . I never saw this one. Not my cup of tea
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 12:16am On May 20, 2020
HarryDuce:
Well, I would consider these to be myths but others might not.

--Whistling at night was prohibited in my house by my mum and Grandma. "It is the devil's language" "It attracts evil spirits and they might answer" they said.

--Crows/Owls screaming or hooting on your roof meant death was lurking . I never saw this one. Not my cup of tea

I also don't like whistling at night. I believe it could attract reptiles.

We were forbidden to wear any red material to the farm. We were told it makes yam turn red. I later discovered that yams turn red when bitten by a particular insect.
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 8:36am On May 20, 2020
the way in is the way out and the way out is the way in, we came from nowhere but here(earth) and we go nowhere but here(earth) meaning. your soul is immortal you can never die you may only change body and there is no u or me there is only consciousness scattered in different bodies possessing different data we are the previous generations are we are the future generation we are in eternity and we are all demi gods.
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by MrsNwaAmaikpe(f): 8:59am On May 20, 2020
Most of these things are mere hallucinations.

It only takes a nut to lose from your brain and you start seeing things in a different way.
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 20, 2020
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
Most of these things are mere hallucinations.

It only takes a nut to lose from your brain and you start seeing things in a different way.

Your opinion though
Re: How Many Of This Myths Were You Told? by brownemmanuel43(m): 8:04pm On May 22, 2020
We were told never to call snake by name in the night, rather u call it rope. Their are mysteries in this life.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Racism Hypocrisy / Liberatedgirl Ethnic Group / Does Juju Really Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.