Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police (34050 Views)

BRT Driver Told Bamise, 'Fine Girl, It’s Only You I’ll Pick’ – Brother / Nice Andrew Omininikoron: BRT Driver Arrested Over Bamise Ayanwole Kidnap, Death / Andrew Nice, BRT Driver Who Kidnapped Bamise Ayanwola Declared Wanted (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by ThatFairGuy: 11:54am On May 20, 2020
matrix199:
If he had just turned himself in on that fateful day, his charge would have been 'Accidental Killing'. Likely spend some few years in jail, and later released on compassionate ground.

But no, he blew it by driving off. Now he'll be charged for murder if after investigation it was found he had the choice of slowing down to let the victim cross but chose to maintain his speed. His defence would have been he didn't see the victim, but a counter claim would be established. They'll ask him if the victim was a spirit/ghost that made it impossible for him to see.

Like I said, he blew his chances of getting a 'manslaughter' charge when he chose to drive off without halting to help the victim/check if she's still alive.
Nahhhh. He saved himself from being lynched by irate youths. Very hard decision to take! sad

2 Likes

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Nobody: 11:57am On May 20, 2020
matrix199:
If he had just turned himself in on that fateful day, his charge would have been 'Accidental Killing'. Likely spend some few years in jail, and later released on compassionate ground.

But no, he blew it by driving off. Now he'll be charged for murder if after investigation it was found he had the choice of slowing down to let the victim cross but chose to maintain his speed. His defence would have been he didn't see the victim, but a counter claim would be established. They'll ask him if the victim was a spirit/ghost that made it impossible for him to see.

Like I said, he blew his chances of getting a 'manslaughter' charge when he chose to drive off without halting to help the victim/check if she's still alive.

Wrong objection for judgement. The hoodlums attacking others buses is almost a legal victory for the guy to defend his accidental killing as victim of uncontrollable situation due to close range caused by her careless leaping & law break
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by apexc2344: 12:03pm On May 20, 2020
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Hadsty23(m): 12:04pm On May 20, 2020
Cos he killed someone's wife of high post... What about other laylow lifes BRT has claimed. Who sees that
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Ijaya123: 12:09pm On May 20, 2020
SmartyPants:

Murder requires proof of malice aforethought. If they charge him with murder he will go free.

The appropriate charges are:

Manslaughter along with a separate charge for feeling the scene.

...fleeing
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by frog12: 12:10pm On May 20, 2020
the roads are not even designed well. that ikorodu road the chinese did is even more confusing and a trap for pedestrians
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by frog12: 12:13pm On May 20, 2020
if the driver no run, they for kill am

1 Like

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by psychologist(m): 12:22pm On May 20, 2020
Lexusgs430:
He could run, but not hide......

Exactly
Possibly going to report himself at the nearest police station, if you know the area you will know that the mob there can lynch him
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Reference(m): 12:26pm On May 20, 2020
So sad for the family of the bereaved but he should get a good lawyer and the Government should give him some backing. BRT lanes anywhere in the world are the last places you want to be crossing without care.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Lexusgs430: 12:31pm On May 20, 2020
psychologist:

Exactly
Possible going to report himself at the nearest police station, if you know the area you will know that the mob there can lynch him

After he escaped the scene, he could he handed himself over and save the manhunt.......
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Wawelexy(m): 12:33pm On May 20, 2020
DenreleDave:
How can BRT passenger hit a businesswoman?

Why are the police not doing their work well?

A passenger is not the driver, the driver Sud be arrested..... Not the passenger..

Moreover where in warri did this happen and when did delta started using BRT?

Isn't BRT meant for only kano state?

By their utterance, you shall know the exact brand....

Can't advice you to stop, but that brand is heavier than ur brain....

Try mixing it with Jedi or you buy from elsewhere....
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 20, 2020
If it can be proven that there is a pedestal bridge within statutory range , this woman might just end up dying free death.

Let's learn to use those bridges pls. I am not innocent of this too.

May her soul rest in peace. Mr. driver fear, fear. But is there any law that incriminates running from scene of accident?
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Origin(f): 12:51pm On May 20, 2020
Driver was probably scared.

I have had two encounter where a person crossing the express fell backwards due to the very high median.

One I was in the BRT and the driver braked so hard we almost fell in the bus and even the pedestrian was grateful.

The second was me crossing the road and getting on the high median and almost falling back to the path of an oncoming BRT bus. Thank God I fell forward to the express and no car was coming .

Just food for thought.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Originalsly: 12:52pm On May 20, 2020
SmartyPants:

Murder requires proof of malice aforethought. If they charge him with murder he will go free.

I agree the murder charge shouldn't stick.... neither should a manslaughter charge. Is it because she has connections nobody is blaming her? She should not be on the roadway period. Why didn't she cross at the crossing point? If there was no official crossing point it was for her to make sure it was safe for her to cross. The most the driver should be charged for is hit and run..... leaving the scene of an accident.... and failing to render assistance to the victim.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 20, 2020
Origin:
Driver was probably scared.

I have had two encounter where a person crossing the express fell backwards due to the very high median.

One I was in the BRT and the driver braked so hard we almost fell in the bus and even the pedestrian was grateful.

The second was me crossing the road and getting on the high median and almost falling back to the path of an oncoming BRT bus. Thank God I fell forward to the express and no car was coming .

Just food for thought.
Wow, that was a very close one, you're lucky.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by ebig21(m): 12:59pm On May 20, 2020
SmartyPants:

Guy there are ways of checking the mensrea, if he drove negligently, or recklessly that a reasonable man ought to know that it will cause death, then the malice aforethought could be established, so he can be charged for murder.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by SmartyPants(m): 1:04pm On May 20, 2020
ebig21:

Guy there are ways of checking the mensrea, if he drove negligently, or recklessly that a reasonable man ought to know that it will cause death, then the malice aforethought could be established, so he can be charged for murder.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Murder is a crime of specific intent.

I have a feeling this is how you go about giving legal advice. undecided
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by SmartyPants(m): 1:05pm On May 20, 2020
Ijaya123:

...fleeing

Thanks!
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Sheuns(m): 1:13pm On May 20, 2020
Iamundisputed:

It's like an unwritten rule on our roads, but these guys take it too far as they don't care about human lives, until they kill someone before their eyes clear.

Trailers, oil tankers and container trucks are the kings of the road, the BRT and LT Buses take second place, Danfo Buses take third place and SUV/Jeep owners intimidate car users.

And car users hardly slow down for pedestrians to cross even at zebra crossings. Most motorists in Lagos behave that way. Even to let a pedestrian pass between cars in traffic na war for some, as if that person will take up the space.

Most motorists in Lagos are just too impatient
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Unazi71: 1:17pm On May 20, 2020
He shouldn't have ran away from the scene of the accident. That is a mistake on his side. The law guildiing brt lanes is very clear except they want to bend it cuz the accident involves a big person. Rip to the dead.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 20, 2020
Sheuns:

And car users hardly slow down for pedestrians to cross even at zebra crossings. Most motorists in Lagos behave that way. Even to let a pedestrian pass between cars in traffic na war for some, as if that person will take up the space.

Most motorists in Lagos are just too impatient

In fact, you are right. We have been taught that being impatient is the right thing, which is wrong...

But I think we owe that culture of road rage and impatience to the lack of traffic lights on most of our roads. We hardly use traffic lights on the road with the few being in Alausa and VI only. That's a foundational problem. : sad
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Moneyboyz: 1:33pm On May 20, 2020
matrix199:

If he had stoped, angry mobs would have burnt him to death, I've seen similar occurrences, this is Nigeria. He should have went to the police station to report instead of hiding

1 Like

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by GamalNasser: 1:44pm On May 20, 2020
matrix199:

It's still manslaughter just with an additional charge of fleeing and accident scene ( hit and run )
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by boladez(m): 1:59pm On May 20, 2020
I agree that ma y of the BRT drivers drive recklessly and behave as if they are high on drugs, one hit my neighbour and took off almost killing the young couple. Something needs to be done about that.

Jaywalking is a bigger problem that also needs to addressed with action and laws.

I know that portion of road at ikorodu, the driver should not have been going so fast as to kill somebody. It is also obvious the lady did not use the pedestrian overhead crossing built by government and was probably not attentive when she walked Into the path of the bus.....no credible eye witness account but I have a major problem with the driver for fleeing the scene and running away.

If he had stopped to assist the lady she may have survived to tell the truth about her jaywalking or unattentiveness.

My 2 cents
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by pius4luv(m): 2:13pm On May 20, 2020
Are you okay ?

DenreleDave:
How can BRT passenger hit a businesswoman?

Why are the police not doing their work well?

A passenger is not the driver, the driver Sud be arrested..... Not the passenger..

Moreover where in warri did this happen and when did delta started using BRT?

Isn't BRT meant for only kano state?
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by bigtt76(f): 2:37pm On May 20, 2020
I agree with you but then running away was to save his life. He could've been lynched. Also, it might not be his fault if the woman is the one that misjudged the speed of an on coming BRT who may endanger the lives of his passengers if he attempts slamming on the brakes.

RIP to the woman and condolences to her family.

matrix199:

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Sheuns(m): 2:52pm On May 20, 2020
Iamundisputed:

In fact, you are right. We have been taught that being impatient is the right thing, which is wrong...

But I think we owe that culture of road rage and impatience to the lack of traffic lights on most of our roads. We hardly use traffic lights on the road with the few being in Alausa and VI only. That's a foundational problem. : sad

I just tire for the level of impatience we possess here in Lagos. A few seconds/minutes patience can prevent hours of delay in traffic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by larica69: 2:55pm On May 20, 2020
He cant be charged for murder if the area is poorly litted and If there is pedestrian bridge nearby. He should have driven straight to the police station instead of absconding though.

No driver dare stop at the scene of accident when its established someone died. I bet they will kill him on the spot. But going underground was a terrible mistake.

matrix199:

Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by BluntTheApostle(m): 4:47pm On May 20, 2020
matrix199:

We have a lot of hit-and-run cases because suspects risk losing their lives when they stop to help. People don't bother to ask questions. They immediately assume that the driver is at fault, and they burn him and his vehicle.

There was the case of a man who ran a secondary school student over. He waited to help but people started beating him up. When he heard tyre and petrol, he managed to free himself and run. He ran into a nearby police station but the mob followed him right into the police station and dragged him away right in the presence of police officers.

As for this driver's charge, it would still be manslaughter since the action was not premeditated. He might be charged separately for failing to stop and help the victim. I think he would get 3 years, maybe.

It was reported earlier that the victim was actually the one who failed to check the road. In the case of Ibinabo, she was at fault, and still abandoned the victim. She got 5 years. This driver should get less if she gets a lawyer who references Ibinabo's case.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by AlhajaChinyere: 5:34pm On May 20, 2020
Why is the yamlegged iyanmirin Biafran man driving our BRT?

This is the reason these poverty striken igbos are abandoning their ancestral land for RAGOS.

We need to send them all BACK!!!! To their rotten Nnewi.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by Fulcrum15: 6:00pm On May 20, 2020
If he hadn't escaped there may have been jungle justice on him.
He should have ran to the police instead.
Re: BRT Driver Who Killed Businesswoman Handed Over To Police by murphypeters: 6:07pm On May 20, 2020
God will punish all this stupid inexperienced drivers with their bus owners... Amen for causing sorrow and bereavement for us.... They will also not know any peace and joy in their lives....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Hookers Made To Frog Jump For Fighting Over A Client At A Hotel In Delta / 7-Year-Old Boy From Ogun Sold For N1m, Recovered In Anambra After 2 Years / NDLEA Arrests Businessman, 1 Other With 3.027kg Cocaine At Abuja & Lagos Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.