Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,152 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Medical Science - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical Science (1113 Views)

Nigerian Army School Of Medical Science (NASMS) Matriculate Newly Admitted Stude / Protest In University Of Medical Science, Akure Campus Over Fake Affiliation / Times Higher Education Lists University Of Ibadan As Top 400 In Medical Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Science by Zeeknow3245(m): 9:29pm On May 20, 2020
Done
Re: Medical Science by lenghtinny(m): 7:08am On May 21, 2020
I think going for a basic medical sciences course is your best bet because clinical and allied health sciences courses like physiotherapy, nursing, mls and co are professional courses.

Some schools won’t accept it except you want to start afresh. You need to make thorough findings especially in the schools that you are considering..

1 Like

Re: Medical Science by Protein0: 7:36am On Jun 19, 2020
Zeeknow3245:
I have been willing to ask this question. Does getting a Degree in Basic Medical Sciences like Pharmacology, MLS, Anatomy andPhysiology or in clinical sciences like Physiotherapy and Nursing. The reason is because I chose MLS a competitive course as well and I have read about it and i have Investigated on it and I like the laboratory practice. Is MLS a good way of starting before studying medicine OR should it be Nursing or Physiotherapy. Help because I will want to know which one will give me and edge when am done.
I also want you guys to help me clarify something on DE. I know that most candidates that are admitted from UTME but I also noticed that many of the best medical students are from DE, How true is this? I have read many articles about DE students in medical student and the feats which most UTME find it difficult to achieve even after medical school.
Please I need your help so I can change my course in time please
If it's DE you want to use the first degree for, then it can't be MLS, nursing, physiotherapy or other professional courses.

As the person above rightly said, degree courses like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry or even zoology or botany are what u need. Most schools prefer the first two tho.
Goodluck.
Re: Medical Science by Zeeknow3245(m): 8:50am On Jun 19, 2020
Protein0:

If it's DE you want to use the first degree for, then it can't be MLS, nursing, physiotherapy or other professional courses.

As the person above rightly said, degree courses like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry or even zoology or botany are what u need. Most schools prefer the first two tho.
Goodluck.
What of Chemistry or even normal sciences

1 Like

Re: Medical Science by Haustyne(m): 6:47pm On Jun 19, 2020
Zeeknow3245:

What of Chemistry or even normal sciences
No, can i ask why u want to study mls or another course first before applying directly for medicine?
Re: Medical Science by Zeeknow3245(m): 7:34pm On Jun 19, 2020
Haustyne:

No, can i ask why u want to study mls or another course first before applying directly for medicine?
Re: Medical Science by Haustyne(m): 8:27pm On Jun 19, 2020
Zeeknow3245:

I am not in a haste to study medicine. I am just looking for the one that will make more conversant with medical things ad won't make it so stressfull
Do u think going for 2 undergraduate degrees is not stressful? I would not even advise anyone to dat except u had no choice (like u got another course when u applied for medicine). Applying for direct entry, i believe is more stressful and competitive. I would advise u reconsider. Anyways i think physiotherapy is better, because u will be more conversant with d basic med topics.
Re: Medical Science by Zeeknow3245(m): 8:53pm On Jun 19, 2020
Haustyne:

Do u think going for 2 undergraduate degrees is not stressful? I would not even advise anyone to dat except u had no choice (like u got another course when u applied for medicine). Applying for direct entry, i believe is more stressful and competitive. I would advise u reconsider. Anyways i think physiotherapy is better, because u will be more conversant with d basic med topics.
Re: Medical Science by MrEgghead(m): 10:23pm On Jun 19, 2020
Zeeknow3245:
I have been willing to ask this question. Does getting a Degree in Basic Medical Sciences like Pharmacology, MLS, Anatomy andPhysiology or in clinical sciences like Physiotherapy and Nursing. The reason is because I chose MLS a competitive course as well and I have read about it and i have Investigated on it and I like the laboratory practice. Is MLS a good way of starting before studying medicine OR should it be Nursing or Physiotherapy. Help because I will want to know which one will give me and edge when am done.
I also want you guys to help me clarify something on DE. I know that most candidates that are admitted from UTME but I also noticed that many of the best medical students are from DE, How true is this? I have read many articles about DE students in medical student and the feats which most UTME find it difficult to achieve even after medical school.
Please I need your help so I can change my course in time please
It's not compulsory you do MLS or any BMS courses before Medicine and that wouldn't make you a better Doctor either.. It's only time waisting..Why would you willingly study a course you don't wish to practice? it will be better you go for the course you really prefer instead of trying to wile away your time..I know you can achieve anything at any age but the earlier the better.

You're afraid you may not make Medicine and you may be thrown to another department you don't like..I'm 70% sure of that.

Be that as it may, For the sake of security, apply for any of the BMS courses and get it..
probably when you're in 100L, you can write jamb UTME again for MBBS instead of waiting for 5 years when you're not sure of even using the certificate.
We've heard enough of disgruntled JOHESU and this is exactly how they started. The ones who never had this mindset of yours among them are proud and okay with their professions.
fight for what you believe in now.

4 Likes

Re: Medical Science by Zeeknow3245(m): 10:28pm On Jun 19, 2020
MrEgghead:
It's not compulsory you do MLS or any BMS courses before Medicine and that wouldn't make you a better Doctor either.. It's only time waisting..Why would you willingly study a course you don't wish to practice? it will be better you go for the course you really prefer instead of trying to wile away your time..I know you can achieve anything at any age but the earlier the better.

You're afraid you may not make Medicine and you may be thrown to another department you don't like..I'm 70% sure of that.

Be that as it may, For the sake of security, apply for any of the BMS courses and get it..
probably when you're in 100L, you can write jamb UTME again for MBBS instead of waiting for 5 years when you're not sure of even using the certificate.
We've heard enough of disgruntled JOHESU and these exactly how they started. The ones who never had this mindset of yours among them are proud and okay with their professions.
fight for what you believe in now.
Okay thank you. I will try
Re: Medical Science by Zeeknow3245(m): 2:58am On Jun 23, 2020
Done

(1) (Reply)

Why Kaduna Is Called The Center Of Learning / UNN Lecturer Refuse Final Year Students Exam Over 75% Attendance (VIDEO) / Religion, A Determinant In 2021/22 Undergraduate Fee In Ahmadu Bello University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.