Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business (33107 Views)

Sam Larry: I Gave Mohbad 2M To Perform At My Mum's Burial, He Never Showed Up / Akin Alabi: My Mum's Driver Thought I Was A Yahoo Boy - Nairabet CEO / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Blessamaka(f): 10:49am On May 21, 2020
My post might be lengthy but I'll try my best to be brief but please read to the end.

I'm in my early twenties (20's) and currently a student in one of the prestigious university in Nigeria.

Before I got admission, I usually help my mum to sell onions in Ajegunle market aka boundary market in Lagos State.

Ever since schools were shut down due to the pandemic I've been scared of helping my mum because of the despicable rules or laws guiding the business which i might not be able to keep to it thereby putting my mum in trouble and that's the only means of survival for me and mum for now.

My mum belongs to a group of people that sells same product and they are usually referred to as Union and the leaders are the one dishing out those annoying laws.

Examples of such laws are:

1. You don't buy more than the quantity of goods apportioned to you else you will be fined and suspended from selling but the so called leaders go contrary to these laws

2. They tell you when to buy goods i.e before buying new goods, you sell your old goods for 7days not minding if the quantity apportioned to you is enough or not. My self as a case study, we were apportioned 3 bags of onions and I sell 3 bags in 3 days so me and my mum would stay at home for 4days before going to buy new goods.

3. They tell you when to start selling which is 10:00am everyday excluding Sunday and this law was before the pandemic

4. They tell you how to sell i.e the size of onions you are to sell for a particular amount as if they borrowed you money or they are the one giving you money always to buy goods.

And many more of these unimaginable laws. Right now I confused! I don't know the best way to go about this and I really do wish to start selling because I'm broke and I've so many responsibilities to care for financially.

I need legal help, advice on how to go about this until I get something else to do or probably a work or a different business.

The reason for going into business is to make profit and save for rainy days but the reverse seems to be the case here.

Please help me move to front page to get more reviews in regard to this

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by OsuIgboIpob: 10:51am On May 21, 2020
There's nothing you can barely do.
That's how the useless system is.
You people can consider selling in other markets around.

84 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by SocialJustice: 10:54am On May 21, 2020
Blessamaka:
My post might be lengthy but I'll try my best
The reason for going into business is to make profit and save for rainy days but the reverse seems to be the case here.

Lalasticlala please help me move to front page to get more reviews in regard to this
Spread out, don't use one market only. Try selling in other markets too.

172 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by benzene00: 10:55am On May 21, 2020
do we look like onion sellers to you

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by ikh777: 10:56am On May 21, 2020
Blessamaka:
My post might be lengthy but I'll try my best to be brief but please read to the end.

I'm in my early twenties (20's) and currently a student in one of the prestigious university in Nigeria. Before I got admission, I usually help my mum to sell onions in Ajegunle market aka boundary market in Lagos State.
Ever since schools were shut down due to the pandemic I've been scared of helping my mum because of the despicable rules or laws guiding the business which i might not be able to keep to it thereby putting my mum in trouble and that's the only means of survival for me and mum for now.
My mum belongs to a group of people that sells same product and they are usually referred to as Union and the leaders are the one dishing out those annoying laws.
1. You don't buy more than the quantity of goods apportioned to you else you will be fined and suspended from selling but the so called leaders go contrary to these laws
2. They tell you when to buy goods i.e before buying new goods, you sell your old goods for 7days not minding if the quantity apportioned to you is enough or not. My self as a case study, we were apportioned 3 bags of onions and I sell 3 bags in 3 days so me and my mum would stay at home for 4days before going to buy new goods.
3. They tell you when to start selling which is 10:00am everyday excluding Sunday and this law was before the pandemic
4. They tell you how to sell i.e the size of onions you are to sell for a particular amount as if they borrowed you money or they are the one giving you money always to buy goods.

And many more of these unimaginable laws. Right now I confused! I don't know the best way to go about this and I really do wish to start selling because I'm broke and I've so many responsibilities to care for financially.
I need legal help, advice on how to go about this until I get something else to do or probably a work or a different business.

Lalasticlala please help me move to front page to get more reviews in regard to this

Amaka dont disappoint your mother o grin

You may need to START YOUR OWN BUSINESS right there...
See, there reasons for those laws that you may not yet know, so ALLOW HER the respect of obeying the laws, while you do ya own thing.

Learn how to import and sell or buy bale from Onitsha and sell there... And if that does not suit you.... YOU ARE HERE ON NAIRALAND... START SELLING ONLINE.

You are a creative lady, so come up with something that will not HURT your mum.

Wisdom is what is required in this matter.

REBELLION against slavery is GOOD but it must be done wisely.

115 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by psucc(m): 10:58am On May 21, 2020
That's very sad! These rules are applicable in almost all the markets in Lagos.

All you need to do is to register as a member and then explore the opportunities.

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by BigTableShaker(f): 10:58am On May 21, 2020
You want to break the system abi?
You must be Igbo.
Ajegunle market is not Ariaria or Onitsha market pls.
SMH.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by heniford2: 10:58am On May 21, 2020
first meet the union head explain stuff to him and also look for another area to start sales very important always buy more, aside where the buy from look for another area to buy from if your stock finish start selling another one don't let them know ur stock has finish

17 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by alphajerus(m): 10:59am On May 21, 2020
For how long has this been happening?
I think you need to talk in depths with your mom, understand from her angle on what grounds and why those crazy laws are in place, then both of you can obviously figure out a good plan and how to go about it legally.
Some union excos are extremists and fatally corrupt behind close doors.
I wish you well sha especially in this dificult time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by internationalman(m): 11:06am On May 21, 2020
No one comes to Nairaland when they are having trouble spending their money....

I plan on being the first person so I could transfer at least 10k each to every very active members...

So help me God

17 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by BigTableShaker(f): 11:07am On May 21, 2020
heniford2:
first meet the union head explain stuff to him and also look for another area to start sales very important always buy more, aside where the buy from look for another area to buy from if your stock finish start selling another one don't let them know ur stock has finish
And you blame filling station for selling new stock at old price?!
It is your type that killing Nigeria.

SMH

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Renida: 11:17am On May 21, 2020
Don't go against the trend. You can't fight it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Babatunde40(m): 11:24am On May 21, 2020
Those useless unions do things to make sure union members do not progress above the excos. Very useless unions

48 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Blessamaka(f): 11:34am On May 21, 2020
[color=#000099][/color]
ikh777:

Amaka dont disappoint your mother o grin

You may need to START YOUR OWN BUSINESS right there...
See, there reasons for those laws that you may not yet know, so ALLOW HER the respect of obeying the laws, while you do ya own thing.

Learn how to import and sell or buy bale from Onitsha and sell there... And if that does not suit you.... YOU ARE HERE ON NAIRALAND... START SELLING ONLINE.

You are a creative lady, so come up with something that will not HURT your mum.

Wisdom is what is required in this matter.

REBELLION against slavery is GOOD but it must be done wisely.

I wish to start same business there because I've gotten enough customers but I'll join their union where as the law the union is dishing out is not favourable to me. There's no good reasons for their law.. the law is only favourable to the leaders. If I'm to sell clothes in that same market I'll also join a union. Every business has it's union. I'm not trying to do this to hurt my mum but to break free from these bondage called law

11 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by ikh777: 11:59am On May 21, 2020
Blessamaka:
[color=#000099][/color]

I wish to start same business there because I've gotten enough customers but I'll join their union where as the law the union is dishing out is not favourable to me. There's no good reasons for their law.. the law is only favourable to the leaders. If I'm to sell clothes in that same market I'll also join a union. Every business has it's union. I'm not trying to do this to hurt my mum but to break free from these bondage called law

chei see slavery... anyway, all am saying is SELL ONLINE.

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
NAIRALAND,
JIJI
INSTAGRAM

there is no way your customers are not on anyone of these platforms, tell them and let them begin ORDERING.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by heniford2: 12:51pm On May 21, 2020
BigTableShaker:

And you blame filling station for selling new stock at old price?!
It is your type that killing Nigeria.

SMH
the reason why we do business its for profit and if we are not getting the profit why still do the same business., Note Nigeria its already dead Nothing like killing it

5 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Victornezzar: 12:59pm On May 21, 2020
OP please stick to the rules

Those Union people can be very wicked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by naijacutee(f): 1:16pm On May 21, 2020
BigTableShaker:
You want to break the system abi?
You must be Igbo.
Ajegunle market is not Ariaria or Onitsha market pls.
SMH.

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke....Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

58 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by BigTableShaker(f): 1:17pm On May 21, 2020
naijacutee:

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke....Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.
I have not committed any offence my friend
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Saintinoo(m): 1:19pm On May 21, 2020
Blessamaka:

I'm in my early twenties (20's) and currently a student in one of the prestigious university in Nigeria. Before I got admission, I usually help my mum to sell onions in Ajegunle market aka boundary market in Lagos State.

I stopped reading when i saw "one of the prestigous university in Nigeria"

what do you mean by that, no Nigerian university is prestigious.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by naijacutee(f): 1:29pm On May 21, 2020
I actually like your thinking because it is the kind of thinking that gives Nigeria hope.
The only thing that can save us from handing a broken country down to our children, is our ability to
a.) recognise when something isn't working and
b.) fix it intelligently, while respecting the laws of the land.

The union was established for a reason - to maintain some sort of law and order in the industry, and this is a good thing. If it is not working for your mum, there will be others of the same mind also who might not be satisfied with the way the thing is run. I would suggest making respectful suggestions to the union leaders if you feel that they are mature enough to consider your suggestions without making assumptions about your tribe or gender or anything else. If the union leader is open-minded, you will have brought about one small positive change.

If they are not open-minded, then I will advice you to continue to evolve as a person and not to tie your growth because of fear. Everyone grows at their own pace. While making suggestions, I will look at other options that the union does not legally cover. Don't be afraid to take the risk because with this pandemic comes new opportunities. People are changing their shopping habits, and are favouring online shopping. Can you source the onions from elsewhere? Can you use online channels to reach customers? Can you reach out to food delivery outlets and supply them on a regular basis at a reduced price?

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by naijacutee(f): 1:34pm On May 21, 2020
BigTableShaker:

I have not committed any offence my friend

I was just wondering how you managed to link her post to 'breaking the system' and putting it down to her tribe.

Are you enjoying the opportunities that the Nigerian system gives you or your kids? If not, how will you suggest making things better for everyone?

48 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Blessamaka(f): 2:06pm On May 21, 2020
Saintinoo:

I stopped reading when i saw "one of the prestigous university in Nigeria"

what do you mean by that, no Nigerian university is prestigious.

Did you come to criticize my post or help?

14 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by BigTableShaker(f): 2:13pm On May 21, 2020
naijacutee:

I was just wondering how you managed to link her post to 'breaking the system' and putting it down to her tribe.

Are you enjoying the opportunities that the Nigerian system gives you or your kids? If not, how will you suggest making things better for everyone?

Human nature favors the tribal. Tribalism engenders violence. It was ever thus and so it will ever be.
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by blackpanthar: 4:03pm On May 21, 2020
Blessamaka:

Your story is very simple but missimelda01 is the one i know that can help you

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by Victornezzar: 4:49pm On May 21, 2020
Blessamaka how about negotiating a deal with them in a case where you have to sell as many quantity you want and give them a little percentage

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by naijacutee(f): 5:53pm On May 21, 2020
BigTableShaker:

Human nature favors the tribal. Tribalism engenders violence. It was ever thus and so it will ever be.

Absolutely, and I agree with you. Tribalism is basic human instinct.

But has anything great been built on basic human instinct? It is a person's instinct to remain lazy in bed and not go to work, can they thrive by following instinct? It is a mans instinct to have reckless sex with multiple partners. With STIs everywhere, will they thrive? If someone is hungry and has no money, it is their basic instict to steal. Should they?

Has any great society been built by sitting down and letting basic instincts take over? All the great teachers - Jesus, Mohammed, Gandhi, Buddha, Mandela teach about denying our basic instincts as the route to greatness. To slap back when slapped is basic instinct and a society where 90% people follow basic instinct looks like Nigeria. Continue that way?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by missimelda01(f): 5:54pm On May 21, 2020
Without the union there won't be order in that market, I'll advise you don't try to fight it. It's time to leave your mum to face her business and start your own business online or offline, it's not going to be as easy as people make it seem but with time you'd understand the 'online system'.

Blackpanther how are you?

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by BigTableShaker(f): 9:38am On May 22, 2020
naijacutee:

Absolutely, and I agree with you. Tribalism is basic human instinct.

But has anything great been built on basic human instinct? It is a person's instinct to remain lazy in bed and not go to work, can they thrive by following instinct? It is a mans instinct to have reckless sex with multiple partners. With STIs everywhere, will they thrive? If someone is hungry and has no money, it is their basic instict to steal. Should they?

Has any great society been built by sitting down and letting basic instincts take over? All the great teachers - Jesus, Mohammed, Gandhi, Buddha, Mandela teach about denying our basic instincts as the route to greatness. To slap back when slapped is basic instinct and a society where 90% people follow basic instinct looks like Nigeria. Continue that way?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by OgbanjeProphet: 12:15pm On May 28, 2020
That's the main aim of market unions (price control), and it is very annoying.

Go and negotiate with the market leaders first. But remember that it's your mother that's a member of the union and not you...

3 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Being Frustrated By The Rules Of My Mum's Business by richfriendsng: 12:16pm On May 28, 2020
Op so sorry for your predicament, but that is how the system works, try to break free and join the ruling class where such rules doesn't count, although it comes with its own price, whichever way, just don't give up on your hustle, the price I am talking about is your hard and smart work plus time and money.
Do you have properties to sell, properties like house, vehicle, land etc. And you reside around east please chat me via signature, scammers please stay away , property must be your own with valid documents.
07 017 880 751

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala “ready” To Be World Bank President / Seyi Bickersteth Is Dead / Profit Sharing Ratio Between Business Partners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.