Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (33088 Views)

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix / Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:01am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Which money did you spend? After I told you not to watch it

Na 9ija curiosity do me. I am yet to forgive myself.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 11:04am On May 29, 2020
Nnamebuka:

You are quoting me out of context. I didn't imply that we don't have such characters entirely. If anything talking about depression, majority of Nigerians are depressed but hardly shows it. Heck, I was a victim too at some point in my life.

I still maintain that that's not the behavioural pattern of an average vengeful Nigerian. He could be portrayed as a successful blogger with vengeful intent without the unnecessary drama of characterization

The average vengeful Nigerian would go to a pastor and hope they can pray long enough for the bad guys to reveal themselves. I'm glad they took a different route.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Liposure: 11:06am On May 29, 2020
Softbreast:
I prefer Gold Statue
gold statue is fine but needlessly long
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 11:07am On May 29, 2020
iamloyalty:

Na 9ija curiosity do me. I am yet to forgive myself.

Just like I also have not forgiven myself for allowing internet hype get to me enough to watch King of Boys more than once. I pressed my phone enough the second time sha, but na my time I waste, not my money.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:08am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Uzoma was a necessary character; he was a link between Andy Okeke and Nnamdi Okeke. He wasn't acting like a junkie, there is a term for people like that, although it skips my mind now. But, there are characters that are like that; since he had something to to obsessive over, I understood the behavior.

Like, I said earlier, the plot is not what captured most people, but the execution.

If you want a movie with a great plot, you should see The Setup, it has one of the best plots from a Nigerian movie I saw all last year.

The twist in that movie is just something else. The storyline was so powerful I just felt bad it didn't racked in a lot in the box office.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:13am On May 29, 2020
Softbreast:
I prefer Gold Statue
One of my favorite comedy.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Fr33born(m): 11:13am On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

LIB is an occult movie.. Why act a movie on a bad culture that we are trying to make people abandon..

That movie is clearly a trash.... Film that glorify satan n kingdom of darkness.

Encouraging evil and ritual.

Pls go and watch The Train

If not That nollywood no get sense, he better pass the rubbish LIB..

Yes.. Go watch it.. THE TRAIN

Oga, that a movie is about evil or occult doesn't mean it encourages evil or glorifies satan.

In fact, 99.9% of occult and ritual movies actually shows how great and powerful God is and not the other way round.
The last time I checked, all those movies you call evil always end with God winning and taking glory. All the ritual movies I have seen all my life always have same message which is that ritual is bad and anyone who is into it will never end well and that God always wins.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by twinycharis6(f): 11:13am On May 29, 2020
tunashg:
who else strolled to the end of the post without reading/ gaining anything??
Only you cos the thread is interesting : smiley
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:16am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
So, the highly anticipated, multiple award-winning movie, Living In Bondage: Breaking Free, has finally been released on Netflix, for those of us who couldn't see it in the cinemas.

The movie flags off the directorial debut of Nollywood's heartthrob, Ramsey Noah, as well as introduces breakout star, Swanky JKA, to most of the cinematic audience.

The story basically picks up from where the part 1 left off, only, we are taken a little over twenty years into the future, and introduced to Nnamdi Okeke, who is the estranged son of Andy Okeke. Now, you may want to see the Part 1 of this movie, or read about it, if you haven't, so, you don't end up clueless at certain parts. Nnamdi is a hustling young man in Lagos, who is introduced to the cutthroat business world, in a rather harsh manner that forces him back to the village to regroup. It is at the village, he meets the Omego family matriarch, who invites him to their Lagos home, and basically opens the door through which Nnamdi, slips into the devil's coven.

I won't go into the nitty gritty of the entire thing, just so, you guys can watch it, but I would like to highlight certain scenes I particularly enjoyed.

Scene 1: Nnamdi goes for an interview with a potential client, while he waits for them, he conspicuously eats the akara he had gotten earlier from a roadside hawker. I liked how realistic this scene was.

Scene 2: The scene where the head of the cult group, The Six; Richard Williams (Ramsey Noah), confronts Andy Okeke (Kenneth Okonkwo) in church. The dialogue was interesting, it was basically a battle of wits and biblical knowledge.

[img]https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/YzM7MDA_/93420c584cc18bcc884c2f2f1228bcee.jpg[/img]

Scene 3: The scene where Nnamdi Okeke goes to Richard Williams to take back the wealth, and utters the iconic line "Paul akorokwam ihe a ofuma". It was like coming full circle, the same lines from the father, is repeated by the son. The reference to the first movie in this scene, is a brilliant addition to the script writing.

Aside the scenes, the discography was really good. In addition to the OST Album with Larry Gaga, they employed tracks from Styl Plus, Olamide and Phyno majorly. This was a brilliant stroke, it limited the number of artistes royalties would be paid to, while still serving the right tracks to each scene and maintaining the Nigerian flavor.

The settings were really cool. From the luxurious houses to the village in Owerri, even Rochas' statues got screentime. Y'all that said those statues were useless, watch the movie and apologise to Owelle grin

If you're a lover of cars, you will certainly enjoy a lot of scenes in this movie, because the car collection was *sigh*

Now, to the thing(s) that were a bit below par

1. The scene where Nnamdi drives Richard's Ferrari, with Richard in the passenger's seat...it was a bit too obvious it was a green screen. Aside that, the rest of the cinematography was great.

2. And this is not a sleight to Ramsey, because he did put in a commendable effort, but his Igbo was almost comical cheesy, not bad for a non-native speaker, but Shawn Faqua's was much better.

That being said, the movie in many ways, justified the rave about it, the cinematography was topnotch, there was a refreshing attention to detail, and there was an unlikely twist at the end.

Rating: A solid 7/10 for me.

If you've watched it, please drop your review and rating of the movie.

PS:

The movie was produced by PlayNetwork Studios and Steve Gukas

The scriptwriter is Nicole

And the cast include:

Jidekenne Achufusi Swanky JKA
Munachi Abii
Shawn Faqua
Enyinna Nwigwe
Ramsey Nouah
Kenneth Okonkwo
Kanayo O. Kanayo
Bob Manuel Udokwu
Nnenna Obi
Ebele Okaro
David Jone David
Zulu Adigwe
Nancy Isime
Kalu Ikeagwu and
Chuks Chyke

Shawn Faqua is an Igbo guy, he was once interviewed in "Uda Ogene Extra" , a purely indigenous Igbo program
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nnamebuka: 11:16am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

The average vengeful Nigerian would go to a pastor and hope they can pray long enough for the bad guys to reveal themselves. I'm glad they took a different route.
The average vengeful educated Nigerian blogger like him would do all he did and go even a step further to expose the occult without the excessive drama of characterization. That's my point actually.

Tell me, are they portraying him as a junkie, a sociopath, psychopath, vindictive or all of the above?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Liposure: 11:17am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Toni Tones definitely.

Normally, she doesn't really get challenging roles, so, it is easy to categorize her as another pretty face with little acting skills, in Nollywood. But, she really brought it for me; she embodied the King of Boys title. Reminisce was also great, but Toni did it for me.

It was nice to see Adesua not being the star of the show. She was outdone, probably because her character was not as powerful.
well, mine was paul sambo. He was d unsung hero of the show. Unlike the others, he showed real passion in his role. But Unfortunately, he neva recieved d accolades he rightfully deserves
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by heniford2: 11:19am On May 29, 2020
obailala:
King of Boys
that movie its poor
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:19am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

I think Ratnik has been nominated before, it might not be nominated again next year, but of course, I expect a competitive lineup. These guys that did Living In Bondage are set to release a remake of Nneka The Pretty Serpent in November, and it will be directed by Ramsey once again, so, that's one thing.

I pray Kemi doesn't become a victim of her own brilliance, because the thing with second parts of most movies, is that they hardly live up to the legacy of the first part, and since everyone rates KOB so highly, a lackluster second part could be damaging.

so truth, just like wedding party 2, no content at all
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 11:20am On May 29, 2020
Plead:
Watching Nigerian film in 2020?
Nollywood movies reduces my IQ by 60%

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:24am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Nigerians think melodramatic acting is real acting

The day I realised why Nigerian movies are heavily ignored by the Western audience, was when I went to read the rating of Jeta Amata's Black November and the reviews on IMDB, were "melodramatic", the way they trashed the movie, I was like " Are these people serious", that's why I don't take anyone seriously, that thinks KOB deserved all the awards.

I imagine it would also fall under melodramatic for a lot of critics.

Did u check the awards the same Western audience gave to that movie. That movie is one of the best African movie. U don't expecy majority of the west to give to give an African movie a thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:25am On May 29, 2020
Jovi123:
Watched LIB cos a friend posted on her whatsapp status that the horror was intense only for me to watch it and it was just normal,i guess I didn't feel anything cos horror movies are my favorite,but still I love the movie,it depicted Nigeria very well shocked am actually impressed
Biko who has watched Muna

Biko, don't bother watching MUNA, it's over hyped, it's full of weak punches, nothing to see in the movie.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:26am On May 29, 2020
Drizzy5001:
The film no sweet jare. Mtcheew Just like that nonsense movie wey chika Ike produced "Small Chops" sad
Gud I didn't download.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:29am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Maybe language barrier was an issue in KOB.

There are many parts I feel could have resonated better, if I understood the language. It's hardly the same when translated.

The church scene was a winner on Living In Bondage though, to say nothing stood out, is a ridiculous assertion.

The church dialogue was the only impressive dialogue especially when Richard qouted the Greek term for that Bible translation.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by nijabazaar: 11:29am On May 29, 2020
ovoP:
Honestly I thought I was d only one seeing it that way

KOB is only relatable if you grew up in lagos or resident there. Aside that, its pretty boring and if you are so used to premium Netflix content, you will simply term it Melodramatic. Ever wondered why Lionheart was nominated as against KOB. The answer is Subtle interpretation of roles.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:31am On May 29, 2020
Respect55:

Any link for download?

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:33am On May 29, 2020
Respect55:

Any link for download?
. Netnaija. com also download the subtitles file.

Modified.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:35am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Just like I also have not forgiven myself for allowing internet hype get to me enough to watch King of Boys more than once. I pressed my phone enough the second time sha, but na my time I waste, not my money.

Ur own self gud, me a my time and money I waste on Living in bondage.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:35am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Ur own self gud, me na my time and money I waste on Living in bondage.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by jaxxy(m): 11:36am On May 29, 2020
I am actually Not a fan.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by ovoP(m): 11:40am On May 29, 2020
nijabazaar:

KOB is only relatable if you grew up in lagos or resident there. Aside that, its pretty boring and if you are so used to premium Netflix content, you will simply term it Melodramatic. Ever wondered why Lionheart was nominated as against KOB. The answer is Subtle interpretation of roles.
True though
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by SURElee(f): 11:40am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Nobody was robbed. It was a Voting category and a lot of KOB fans clearly failed to vote.

It is a popular narrative, but the execution is what separated it. There are no new narratives, execution is what gives a movie an edge these days; dialogue, cinematography, costuming, screenplay.

Avengers rode on a popular tale of Good v. Evil, Superheroes v. Supervillains. We all knew the heroes would win eventually, but the execution is what gave it an edge.

People tend to focus more on scenes, than the entire plot of a story. KOB plot was more complex than LIB's definitely, but Ramsey has an AMVCA in his house to prove his directorial debut was pretty decent.

What does KOB mean biko?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Oladoyinipede: 11:49am On May 29, 2020
I haven't watched Lib but I'm amused to see some people describe KOB as 'wow', it's a movie that should get a high rating for amateurish delivery of character roles by most of the cast;over reactive sola sobowale, mechanical adesuwa,members of 4 corner table (or whatever)who speak like church ministers,thugs;who make you wonder if thugs we're like this, then Lagos and ibadan would be very peaceful.and so on ..kemi failed to take notes of details,the intended plot,might have been okay but the director didn't pull it off.it was a bold attempt from her though. she wanted something different from conventional nollywood.but it's not 'wow'

5 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:54am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Maybe language barrier was an issue in KOB.

There are many parts I feel could have resonated better, if I understood the language. It's hardly the same when translated.

The church scene was a winner on Living In Bondage though, to say nothing stood out, is a ridiculous assertion.

I'm not a native Yoruba speaker and still had to translate a lot of those parables into English in my head. And some of them were loaded. Infact almost all were deep.

To each his own though.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by kams19(m): 11:56am On May 29, 2020
best Nollywood movie this period is Anchor baby. it beats living in Bondage, King of boys etc
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by babajeje123(m): 11:56am On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

LIB is an occult movie.. Why act a movie on a bad culture that we are trying to make people abandon..

That movie is clearly a trash.... Film that glorify satan n kingdom of darkness.

Encouraging evil and ritual.

Pls go and watch The Train

If not That nollywood no get sense, he better pass the rubbish LIB..

Yes.. Go watch it.. THE TRAIN
The Train... We are on a journey...
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by klarke(m): 11:58am On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Says an igbo man gringringrin.. Always defending their flaws..
There he goes, can we stop being tribalistic for once and relate as sane people? Air your opinion and allow others to do so peacefully.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Liposure: 11:58am On May 29, 2020
SURElee:

What does KOB mean biko?
king of boys

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Living In Bondage, Breaking Free: Scenes From The Movie / BBNaija: 3 Former Housemates Who Look Like Boma / #BBNaija Frodd Leads Male Housemates In Prayers As Mercy Channels Her Sexiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.