Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,442 members, 7,850,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:22 AM

The Godly Way To Relate And Date - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Godly Way To Relate And Date (321 Views)

Pst. Kumuyi - The Divine Purpose And Plan For The Godly Family / Genesis Chapter 16: The Godly Enslavement and Rape Of The African Girl Hagar. / A Godly Christian Lady Doesn't Wear High Heels - Evangelist Akande (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Godly Way To Relate And Date by Mdmelijah: 6:34am On May 24, 2020
Right Way To Relate With The Opposite Sex

This is a very important topic that affects the daily lives of people even in the body of Christ but a message many Christians don't usually hear in their churches. Let's call this CHRISTIAN DATING 101, some of the things I will mention here I have seen in the lives of some Muslims I have meet.

1. Start Out As Friends

John 15:13 gives us a great definition to follow: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." That was Jesus' personal description of friendship that he lived out perfectly

Relationships with the opposite sex should be based on friendship first, not romance, not hormones, not attraction.

It occurs to me that whatever is left of the old idea of dating is probably outmoded. But we need to put religion and worldly view asides and look at the model been practiced that leads to lasting relationships and low divorces. It also begs the question, is there a right time to date?

If there is a right time to date, shouldn't we encourage our youths to wait, start as friends, pray together, share together, worship together, spend time together, and they will learn an amazing amount about each other without the constant reminder that she is a woman and you're a man.

Friendship provides a wonderful playground for discovering and developing very important qualities in prospective husbands or wives, without the sometimes relentless pressure of being "on display" or "under the microscope" of the dating game.

Friendship doesn't put exclusivity on a relationship. Friendship provides a very good relationship without having to move on to romance. Romance creates a relationship that hardly ever reverses to friendship.

In fact, I think we need to give careful attention to the way we move from friendship to romance. Some put people that should be in their lives in "friend zone" which turns to "forgotten zone" when they wish to marry. Do you really want to marry someone you're not familiar with, that's the fantasy and magic infatuation promises.

One could go from months of friendship, to months of courtship then marriage. Some might say ah, just a friend, it complicates things. Is it simpler to go from romance to friendship and does it last? Courtship gives us a better format than dating when it comes to laying the groundwork for marriage.

Many of the people who start dating early in life usually get married late. Check it must of people who marry late have a history of issues with lust.

I am of the opinion that one should consider dating only when they are at least 18 and out of secondary school. Do you agree?

2. Treat Others As Brothers Or Sisters In Christ

Be a revolutionary by treating the opposite sex as a family member you deeply respect.

1Timothy 5:1-2 records Paul's counsel to Timothy about various relationships: "Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters,
with absolute purity."

Notice how he treats each relationship. And then in verse 2 he basically says, "Treat younger women as sisters, in all purity."

What would happen in every relationship with the opposite sex among Christians if we treated people as brothers and sisters in Christ? Automatic boundaries will emerge. I mean, think of how you treat your biological sister.

Do you ever hug her? Of course.
Do you hug her like you hug some other people? Of course not.

Do you touch your sister or brother in ways that show affirmation and caring and genuine relationship? Yes.

Are there certain ways you would never touch your brother or sister? Absolutely.

When you think of him or her as your sibling would you ever imagine having sex with them? No

It's hard for some o, but it automatically makes your heart and act pure towards them.

3. Make The Spiritual Growth And Well-Being Of Others Your Number One Priority

Hebrews 10:24 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." That's men, women, everybody actively and consciously seeking ways to stimulate love and good works.

Here's the primary question you can ask of every relationship:
"In this relationship with my brother or sister in Christ, am I helping him or her become more and more like Christ?

Further, how exactly am I seeking to gently push or even challenge him or her to a closer walk with God?"

If you and I can't answer those questions clearly, the relationships we are forming are not healthy.

We will be able to say, "Thank you, sister or brother. I grew in Christ because of my friendship with you, and we have some great memories of serving Christ together."

Stay safe and remain blessed.
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by Kobojunkie: 6:36am On May 24, 2020
BullPiss! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Even Jesus did not go as far as telling people how to date the "godly way", yet He is God.
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by HRHQueenPhil(f): 6:37am On May 24, 2020
If u are already mature enough to marry and ready to..follow Abraham servant style. He is still that same God, yesterday today and forever..
Congratulations
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by BlowYourMind: 6:40am On May 24, 2020
There are preaching and practices of Jesus Christ which should be followed not the non essentials
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by xendra: 7:01am On May 24, 2020
Godly ways to date? or your way

all I see in religion is people bringing out scriptures and translating each to sooth themselves or help them control others.

las las everybody have their own conviction

1 Like

Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On May 24, 2020
xendra:
all I see in religion is people bringing out scriptures and translating each to sooth themselves or help them control others.
Ding! Ding!! Ding!!!
cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by Mdmelijah: 9:27am On May 24, 2020
xendra:

How does this relate with what was posted shocked?
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 11:01am On May 24, 2020
[s]>
xendra:

[/s]
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by ceejeck(m): 11:04am On May 24, 2020
Nice exposition! Keep it up Bro.
Re: The Godly Way To Relate And Date by Mdmelijah: 8:31am On May 29, 2020
Good morning

(1) (Reply)

Pentecost Day: What The Bible Says About Speaking In Tongues / Confusing Me / Kanye West Says Proposed Coronavirus Vaccine Is 'mark Of The Beast'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.