Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

NYSC Intimidation - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Intimidation (1613 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Intimidation by raycomray: 8:21am On Jan 19, 2011
I WROTE TO THE STATE DIRECTOR OF NYSC IN KANO STATE REQUESTING THAT THE 3 CORPS MEMBERS ATTACHED TO MY COMPANY BE EXEMPTED FROM THE INEC VOTERS REGISTRATION EXERCISE. THE REASON IS THAT THESE CORPS MEMBERS ARE THE ONLY STAFF WE EMPLOYED TO MANAGE OUR BUSINESS IN KANO. IF THEY SHOULD GO FOR THIS TRAINING AND REGISTRATION EXERCISE, DEFINITELY IT WILL IMPLY THAT THE OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED FOR 3 WEEKS OR MORE. TO MY SURPRISE, THE NYSC OFFICIALS DECLINED TO ACCEPT  MY REQUEST. AND THEY THREATENED TO WITHDRAW  THE SERVICES OF THESE CORPS MEMBERS SHOULD I REFUSE TO ALLOW THEM PARTICIPATE IN THIS EXERCISE. OBVIOUSLY, THE CORPS MEMBERS WANTED TO BE PART OF THE EXERCISE BECAUSE OF THE MONETARY BENEFIT THEY WILL GET WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE NEGATIVE IMPLICATION ON THEIR EMPLOYER WHO IS PAYING 13000NAIRA A MONTH.

MY QUESTIONS AREsad1)- IS MY COMPANY SUPPOSED TO CLOSE SHOP BECAUSE OF THE INEC ADHOC VOTERS REGISTRATION EXERCISE WHICH WAS ONLY COMMUNICATED TO ME OFFICIALLY ABOUT 3 DAYS TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE EXERCISE?

(2)-IS IT PROPER FOR EMPLOYERS OF CORPS MEMBERS BE THREATENED TO COMPLY WITH THIS DIRECTIVE EVEN WHEN SUCH WAS NOT CLEARLY STATED ON THE TERMS OF OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH NYSC

(3)-IS IT FAIR THAT THE CORPS MEMBERS DECIDED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS EXERCISE HAVING KNOWN THAT IT WILL FRUSTRATE THE BUSINESS ACTIVITIES OF THEIR EMPLOYER, SINCE THEY ARE THE ONLY STAFF IN OUR BRANCH OFFICE IN KANO? 

(4)-WHAT DO YOU ADVISE ME TO DO WITH THESE CORPS MEMBERS WHEN THEY ARE BACK FROM THE EXERCISE? PERSONALLY, I HAVE STARTED MAKING ARRANGEMENTS TO EMPLOY NEW STAFF AND GET THEM REPLACED.

(5)-IS IT REALLY WISE & RELIABLE TO DEPEND ON NYSC & CORPS MEMBERS AS A SOURCE  CHEAP MANPOWER FOR SMALL & MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES(SME'S)?
PLEASE I NEED YOUR SINCERE ADVICE.
Re: NYSC Intimidation by Ideas4life(m): 9:16am On Jan 19, 2011
It is not exactly difficult to figure out the answer to your questions.
Consider the following;
1.Productivity: are these three corpers productive for your business? Carry out a comprehensive analysis, and I am pretty sure that one or two reliable and competent individuals can as well do a much better job than the three corpers combine. My advice is that you try to merge responsibilities that are similar or in the same scope of work.

2.Affordability: these corpers, in my opinion are a good pool to pick cheap labour from. Consider the cost implication for your company, if you have to employ a more qualified personnel. Put together, the monthly renumeration for the three corpers sum up to N39,000! Where else can you get such cheap and to an extent reliable labour?
Re: NYSC Intimidation by iphy42: 2:03pm On Jan 19, 2011
Your stand contravenes d NYSC code. Corpers arent meant 4 CHEAP labour. So go look 4 workers. D DG's stand is final.
Re: NYSC Intimidation by timro(f): 7:01pm On Jan 19, 2011
for me, the corps members are supposed to consider their place of p.a. 2ndly, u wld av increased pay within dis period 2
Re: NYSC Intimidation by raycomray: 7:02pm On Jan 19, 2011
PERSONALLY, I DO NOT SEE ANYTHING WRONG IN EMPLOYING CORPS MEMBERS AND ASSIGNING JOB RESPONSIBILITIES  TO THEM IN SMALL FIRMS LIKE MINE. AS  AN EMPLOYER OF LABOR, THERE IS ALWAYS NEED TO ENSURE CONTROL IN ACCOUNTING PROCEDURES ESPECIALLY  WHEN THERE ARE  NO  SPECIALIZED SKILLS  REQUIRED. IN THIS RESPECT, SHARING SUCH RESPONSIBILITIES AMONG 3 CORPS MEMBERS AND PAYING 13000 NAIRA A PIECE IS NOT A BAD IDEA INSTEAD OF PAYING A PERSON 39000NAIRA.
 FURTHERMORE, I HAVE ALWAYS BELIEVED THAT THE ONLY MEANS OF ENDING/REDUCING THE HIGH LEVEL OF UNEMPLOYMENT IN NIGERIA IS TO ENSURE THAT SMALL & MEDIUM ENTERPRISES DO EMPLOY CORPS MEMBERS DURING THEIR SERVICE YEAR AND MAYBE THEY COULD LEARN AND BE CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO BE SELF RELIANT AFTER THE SERVICE YEAR. AFTER ALL, SOME SCHOOLS EMPLOY CORPS MEMBERS AND STILL PAY THEM PEANUTS LIKE 3500NAIRA A MONTH, YET, THEY LEARN NOTHING FROM THE SCHOOL SYSTEM THAT COULD MAKE THEM SELF RELIANT.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Re: NYSC Intimidation by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2011
@poster, first & foremost, u need to remember that regardless of where they are posted to, they are supposed to be in service of their fatherland.
Should the Fed Govt require their service @ any point, I think u're obliged to release them.
Re: NYSC Intimidation by raycomray: 8:38pm On Jan 19, 2011
WITHOUT THE EMPLOYERS OF LABOR, WHERE WILL THE CORPS MEMBERS BE SERVING THEIR FATHERLAND? WE THE EMPLOYERS ARE TO BE SEEING AS PARTNERS IN PROGRESS . SO DECISIONS CONCERNING THE CORPS MEMBERS OUGHT TO MADE IN CONSIDERATION OF THE EMPLOYERS. I HAVE ALREADY INTERVIEWED 2 APPLICANTS WITH THE INTENTION OF REPLACING THESE CORPS MEMBERS ASAP.

LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION WITH RESPECT TO MY DECISION TO DROP THESE CORPS MEMBERS.
Re: NYSC Intimidation by partyprofs(m): 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2011
@poster I believe u av a point but why wld u put all ur eggs in one basket?I.e y wld all ur staffs be corpers am not saying u shld not employ copers but it wld av been better if u av mixed dem wit non copers which u ar abt to do nw maybe u wld not be aving dis problem u ar aving by now.anyway my advice is wat if u replace dem wit non copers now after d inec assignment and they don't av a place to report back to and. They complain to d DG won't there be any issue btw ur coy and inec?if not then go ahead and replace them cos I knw wat it takes for ur coy not to operate 4 3wks cos I also run an sme also.08058571454
Re: NYSC Intimidation by raycomray: 8:29pm On Jan 20, 2011
I MUST CONFESS THAT IT WAS A "DELIBERATE MISTAKE" THAT I MADE BY RECRUITING CORPS MEMBERS ONLY. WHAT HAPPENED WAS THAT I OPENED THAT KANO BRANCH OFFICE IN AUGUST 2010 AND I FELT THAT IT WOULD BE COST EFFECTIVE AND SAFER TO USE CORPS MEMBERS. SINCE KANO WAS A NEW TERRAIN TO ME.

SHOULD I DECIDE TO REPLACE THESE CORPS MEMBERS, MAYBE, NYSC WILL NOT POST CORPS MEMBERS TO MY COMPANY IF I MAKE REQUEST FOR THEM IN THE FUTURE.
Re: NYSC Intimidation by partyprofs(m): 11:22pm On Jan 20, 2011
Ok here is my advice get contract staff for d period of dat inec duration and let dem work cos u wld not want to close up 4 3wks cos as d situation is going I foresee an extension in dis inec of a thing,when d copers ar tru wit their assignment they return back to their duty and who knws u might find another intelegent and hardworking person 4rm ur contract staff,dis time he or she is not a coper so all ur eggs ar not in one basket.pls wld like to knw u better as I like ppl like u here is my mail addy giwa16@yahoo.com
Re: NYSC Intimidation by partyprofs(m): 4:59pm On Jan 21, 2011
D temporary stafs u wld be employing wld defenatly be on d field and not be in charge of account since u already employed someone to handle dat then its alright.for d online account software to manage d coy accont I cld link u 2 someone who takes charge of shell and a list of others GOD see u tru
Re: NYSC Intimidation by raycomray: 9:42am On Jan 22, 2011
I will call send you mail. Thanks
Re: NYSC Intimidation by xammy(m): 6:37pm On Jan 22, 2011
U pay 13k and INEC is willin 2 pay 30k, Haba! If the DG had grand ur request. I wud hav assist in blowing ur office wit the latest C4. Rubish
Re: NYSC Intimidation by raycomray: 6:22pm On Jan 23, 2011
Oga XAMMY, Abeg don't be offended.
I am paying 13,000 a month for 12months and there is likelihood that I could offer the Corps Members full Employment. Which is better now? 30,000 naira paid once and with the attendant risks involved?

However, check the thread Sir, what I asked for was advise and not insult.
Re: NYSC Intimidation by violent(m): 8:52pm On Jan 23, 2011
The National call will override the interest of private establishment as far as place of primary assignment is concerned. Youth Corps are actually government workers, and in all reality, they owe private firms very little obligation.

The fact that you pay them for the services they render does not suffice in this case, the government pays them as well

(1) (Reply)

Successfully Verified Name In Senate List But Can't Register "No Detail Found" / Nysc Should Be Scrabbed / A 419 NYSC Official In Abuja Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.