Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,329 members, 7,826,304 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase (70071 Views)

Dstv, Gotv Customers To Experience Downtime For 3days Due To Lagos-calabar Road / FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase / Multichoice, DSTV/GOTV To Shut Down June 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:01am On May 31, 2020
DSoj:
Dstv is the most insane company in Africa. And i blame monopoly. They do shits cos they are the only satellite tv in Africa
They are not the only cable tv in Africa. There is no monopoly though they enjoy some rights to air some tv stations
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 8:03am On May 31, 2020
Nigerians are not willing to make sacrifices, but want everything on a platter.
Nothing works that way. To get education, you must go to school and read books.

For a child to walk, he/she must learn to stand and take steps. For you to harvest, you must plant and weed, so you can reap.

For us to make DSTV/GOTV listen, we must be ready to make the sacrifice of boycotting their services for atleast a month or two.

Mine has expired, and I am not prepared to renew anytime soon.

It's operation read news in the internet, study books and work out your business plan for the next 5 years for every one. Afterall, multichoice began with a business plan.

The money for subscription will buy data, and I will use the rest to cook Fried rice and chicken for my family. Their belly go tell them thank you. grin

If we all can leave them be for atleast two months, we will realise the power we have cos they will come begging. Serious begging cos we are sending them out of business and reducing their powers. They won't hav funds to service politicians who turn blind eyes to the masses.

Guess what, those politicians like the old Italian mafians will license a new cable company that is willing to rub their palms. We the masses will gain. It is that simple, because they make their billions from subscription renewals.

They know we will only rant and nothing will happen. We will still subscribe and everything will go back to normal and the circle continues.

But let me ask, how do we even expect our government to listen to us or beleive that things are difficult when we spend billions on cable TV monthly.

Especially those of us in the Southern part of this country?

Those in the North don't have that time. So we should also not complain when Federal Government beams her focus on the North, because they follow available data.

If the Southerners can still find means to fund our expensive lifestyle, then we are super rich. And that is the message we are sending because available data can not tell lies.

Na only for South person wen nor fit pay rent because he nor get job go dey pay cable TV and use big iPhone.

Who wan pity your condition self?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Ezmans: 8:04am On May 31, 2020
Icelandicboy:
Silverline22
this government I'll not do anything about dstv even dstv I'll increase prise next year
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:05am On May 31, 2020
AndyCole16:

Can you please explain how it will sink DSTV?
Yes am watching some premium content on my phone
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by blowjohn(m): 8:06am On May 31, 2020
kikero:

South Africa is paying more per package.

Premium in South Africa costs N17662 , Nigeria N16,200 for example

For the same number of channels even.

I just checked ur right.
Ome time during the Olympics, I discovered south Africa dstv had more supersport channels, up to 15 9r 16, but here in nigeria was the opposite

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:06am On May 31, 2020
litigator:
Nigerians are not willing to make sacrifices, but want everything on a platter.
Nothing works that way. To get education, you must go to school and read books.

For a child to walk, he/she must learn to stand and take steps. For you to harvest, you must plant and weed, so you can reap.

For us to make DSTV/GOTV listen, we must be ready to make the sacrifice of boycotting their services for atleast a month or two.

Mine has expired and I am not prepared to renew anytime soon.

It's operation read news in the internet, study books and work out your business plan for the next 5 years for every one.

The money for subscription will buy data and I will use the rest to cook Fried rice and chicken for my family.

If we all can leave them be for atleast two months, we will realise the power we have cos they will come begging.

They know we will only rant and nothing will happen.

But let me ask, how do we even expect our govt to listen to us or beleive that things are difficult when we spend billions on cable TV monthly.

Esperanza those of us in the Southern part of this country? Those in the North don't have that time. So we should also not complain we govt beams their focus on the North, because if we Southern can still find means to fund our expensive lifestyle, then we are super rich.

Na only for South person wen nor fit pay rent because he nor get job go dey pay cable TV and use big iPhone. Who wan pity your condition self?
My brother God bless you for this statement. If many Nigerians boycott multichoice by not subscribing then they would have a rethink.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by ochiosa(m): 8:07am On May 31, 2020
Why are we always wanting government to fight our battles for us even the smallest ones. Can't we just simply avoid DSTV subscription for a month and see how they will respect them self.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:09am On May 31, 2020
IMASTEX:

grin grin grin grin At bolded, na person wey never leave village, wey dey go watch TV for him neighbor house u want make him know that one. Abi na because him dey use 5mb daily bonus to type for here you think say him don get sense.
I've personally told them that they are stealing. I have also showed them pepper. I deliberately left some cash in my decoder account for months now. Because of that they have been calling me to encourage me to subscribe. See different formats of desperation. One called to say the bonus they gave me will expire if I don't subscribe with it, yet she needed my permission for her to subscribe me. grin grin grin. She thought she was talking to an illiterate, I was just waiting for them to forcefully subscribe me make we start the wahala for court grin grin grin grin the last one that called, I told her I simply download movies to my flash and watch on TV. There was nothing she didn't attempt to change my mind. The truth is, if Nigerians can boycott the use for just a month. You will see things restore to supposed settings.
Exactly! How wish most Nigerians can be like you

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Ezmans: 8:09am On May 31, 2020
edoairways:

Put the blame on VAT increase not multichoice
Nigerians have put there life in dstv, so when you put your life in something the owner of the thing I'll use you play

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:11am On May 31, 2020
Ezmans:
Nigerians have put there life in dstv, so when you put your life in something the owner of the thing I'll use you play
Yeah!
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by kolawolejohn(m): 8:11am On May 31, 2020
SarkinYarki:
How can you protest increase on something that's not essential ? If they increase and you can't pay then dump their ass and opt for NTA's Startimes which I hear is like 500 naira a month for many stations ..

Abi

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:12am On May 31, 2020
ochiosa:
Why are we always wanting government to fight our battles for us even the smallest ones. Can't we just simply avoid DSTV subscription for a month and see how they will respect them self.
My brother I taya oh. If we could use the same energy in ranting to boycott multi choice then things will change

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by dontbothermuch: 8:13am On May 31, 2020
What about Pipul tv?
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by kuuljay(m): 8:14am On May 31, 2020
I've since converted my DStv dish and added two more dishes on a freetoair decoder..it gives me everything I want,Over 300 channels

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Ezmans: 8:15am On May 31, 2020
Lanretoye:
The politicians can afford it at our own expense...I doubt they have not even conspired with multi choice self to rip off Nigerians.
they have stakes in multichoice
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:16am On May 31, 2020
kelvindj98:
I don't know what people see in this cable company. All they offer are repeat programs.
The mata taya me. Trust me, Nigerians will rant but nothing will change

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by DarkJeddi(m): 8:17am On May 31, 2020
flokii:
Why can't NCC stop DSTV/GoTv from cheating Nigerians?

We've said it times without number that the South African company should embrace "Pay as you go" system of billing just like it is in SA and other sane climes.

Why increase tariff when people hardly get value for the money they pay. This rubbish has to stop.
Is DSTV and GOTV the only services and commodities that have increased their prices in these current times?

Look around you,everything is adding money..

A phone you bought 34K last October is now selling 43K.. shocked

Let us be realistic and put the blame where it belongs,you,me and the government.. angry

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 8:17am On May 31, 2020
SarkinYarki:
How can you protest increase on something that's not essential ? If they increase and you can't pay then dump their ass and opt for NTA's Startimes which I hear is like 500 naira a month for many stations ..

One member of the church i attend switched to Startimes three years ago....and as she put it, she suddenly had more money in her pocket....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:19am On May 31, 2020
Spacko007:
It's appalling when as a people we can't research on things before commenting, in as much as Dstv can still improve their services. But the tariff increase is as a increment of VAT from 5% to 7.5%. The new VAT rate was signed since February and Dstv is just implementing it which means they can't sustain sustain taking the burden of the increment on their own.
I work in the Telecommunications sector and this increment was implemented since 1st of February.

Instead of attacking Dstv direct your anger to the Federal Government.
Absolutely

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by pannyman(m): 8:19am On May 31, 2020
MasterJayJay:
Una no see Startimes?

Thank you. People complain as if they have no choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:21am On May 31, 2020
Vyolet:
The premium I subscribed in April sef, I am not sure I watched it for more than 7days if I'm to combine the numbers of hours.
I hope Nigerian Government will be fair to the masses and cut down the wings of these dstv people.

I don't blame them though, if only there are other serious competitors.

I remember there was ABG communications back then, I don't know what happens to them.
Use Star times

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by mordred44: 8:22am On May 31, 2020
Dey are nt d 1st to increase and won't be d last.....all i knw b sey las las we go dey alrite
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:23am On May 31, 2020
pippimp:

Because NCC is the problem. Plus, as long as Nigerians are willing to pay, then they will keep jacking up prices. I cut the cable thing a long time ago and never looked back. I went from 250 bucks a month to just 30 now and still watch the same shows and much more when i switched to streaming. Netflix, Amazon Prime/fire stick, and CBS all access. Streaming is the future but NCC will never let that happen.
Ncc doesn't regulate pay tv rather NBC do
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Oshokalo: 8:23am On May 31, 2020
The thing is,is it possible almost 70% subscriber opt out for like 2 months let them experience 70% drop then they will know we are serious,if not the wailing continue
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by TMKsouth: 8:24am On May 31, 2020
kelvindj98:
I don't know what people see in this cable company. All they offer are repeat programs.

Repeats, but exclusive content.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by alabo1: 8:25am On May 31, 2020
grandstar:

Oga, the Naira 6 months ago was 365 to $1. It is now around $430. The rights by these companies to air these programs are paid for in foreign exchange and not Naira. What will you do if you were in their shoes?

Oga. The naira is 387 to the dollar not 430 please. Stop defending the undefendable. DSTV makes more profit in Nigeria than any other country. What do we get in return?. Poorer content, no pay as you view as should be the norm and a marginal hike in dollar rates or VAT calls for an immediate increase? I am opting out once my current subscription ends! Enough!Startimes here I come!
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Xisnin(m): 8:29am On May 31, 2020
flokii:
Why can't NCC stop DSTV/GoTv from cheating Nigerians?

We've said it times without number that the South African company should embrace "Pay as you go" system of billing just like it is in SA and other sane climes.

Why increase tariff when people hardly get value for the money they pay. This rubbish has to stop.
DSTV is not an essential service.
Stop using it if you can't pay the bills.

It is not the government's job to set prices of goods.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by WannaHowzit(m): 8:29am On May 31, 2020
blowjohn:

I just checked ur right.
Ome time during the Olympics, I discovered south Africa dstv had more supersport channels, up to 15 9r 16, but here in nigeria was the opposite

Well, it's theirs.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by tonididdy(m): 8:32am On May 31, 2020
na lack of competition cause all this nonsense

if unlimited internet dey.... wtf do I need dstv for. all their shows and series are on YouTube and download sites. or is it live matches? this country know the right thing to do but they will never do it.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Jumek(m): 8:32am On May 31, 2020
what is holding the national assembly members to make a law that will compel them to start pay as you watch.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by DarkJeddi(m): 8:33am On May 31, 2020
HeadShot:

See them.... Shameless things..
Defending evil only makes people see you for what you truly are...

Imagine paying for a month subscription and your street transformer goes off for two weeks..

Everywhere its pay as you use.. Except in this hell hole full of evil doers... Spits
Stop with the huffing..

And stop with the evil talks.. angry

What gives you the right to call him evil for his own view of the situation?

Must you insult him for having an opinion differing from your own?

Are you an IPOB?

Because that is your stock in trade..

Why don't you direct this level of oppobrium to your thieving Politicians,for providing you with useless electricity?

If you don't want DSTV,cut it and concentrate on NTA.

No be by force..

#SPITS angry
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by drololaaof: 8:34am On May 31, 2020
No be there fault, who is to blame? when our govt focused on stamp duties,vat & others . The mobile network providers were billing pay as you go which they initially refused, why not mandate dstv and the like to do same

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Kiddwaya Unfollows Nengi And Dorathy After They Labelled Him "Dirty Guy". (pixs) / Pictures Of TSTV Decoders Ready For Distribution November 1 / Our Own Area Cartoon Series.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.