Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,576 members, 7,816,420 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? (4843 Views)

Money Rituals: In Defence Of Nollywood / Beautiful Photos Of Nollywood Actress Who Was Buried On The Set Of A Movie / Full List Of Winners At The Best Of Nollywood Awards 2017(see List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Lebee4(m): 5:48pm On May 31, 2020
Hello fellow Nairalanders, i was going through a post where the Vice President was quoted as saying that "Southeast is the birthplace of Nollywood."
Please, i will like Nairalanders to shed more light on this quote because if my memory still serves me right, we've been watching some Yoruba movies way back before Living in Bondage and Glamour Girls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 5:58pm On May 31, 2020
Lebee4:
Hello fellow Nairalanders, i was going through a post where the Vice President was quoted as saying that "Southeast is the birthplace of Nollywood."
Please, i will like Nairalanders to shed more light on this quote because if my memory still serves me right, we've been watching some Yoruba movies way back before Living in Bondage and Glamour Girls.
can you name those 'Yoruba movies' you've been watching?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:04pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
can you name those 'Yoruba movies' you've been watching?

Aiye (1980)
Jaiyesimi (1981)
Aropin (1982)
Ayanmo (1988)
Orun Mooru (1982)
Aare Agbaye (1983)
Mosebolatan (1985)
Obee Gbona (1989)
Diamond (1990 Home video )
Agba Man (1992, Home Video)
Return Match (1993, Home Video)
Ana Gomina (1996, home video, )
Tokunbo (1985)
Papa Ajasco (1983)
Taxi Driver (1983)
Ajani Ogun (1976)
Cry Freedom (1980)
Money Power (1982)
Ija Ominira (1979)
Evil Encounter (1980]

Just to name a few

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 6:05pm On May 31, 2020
Come up with the names of those Yoruba movies. And their production dates.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by BlowYourMind: 6:05pm On May 31, 2020
I don't know when Lagos become South East

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 6:10pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Aiye (1980)
Jaiyesimi (1981)
Aropin (1982)
Ayanmo (1988)
Orun Mooru (1982)
Aare Agbaye (1983)
Mosebolatan (1985)
Obee Gbona (1989)
Tokunbo (1985)
Papa Ajasco (1983)
Taxi Driver (1983)
Ajani Ogun (1976)

Just to name a few

All are either tv programs or cinema production. Osinbajo is totally right, don't tell me you know more than him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:13pm On May 31, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
All are either tv programs or cinema production. Osinbajo is totally right, don't tell me you know more than him.

They are not. They are all movies shown in movie theaters and also sold on VHS tapes. If you know what that means

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by naptu2: 6:13pm On May 31, 2020
Lebee4:

I think we should begin by answering these questions.

1) Were those movies Nollywood movies?

2) Is every movie that is made in Nigeria a Nollywood movie?

3) What is a Nollywood movie?

4) Are Eddie Ugbomah's movies like "The Rise and Fall of Oyenusi" (1979) and "Death of a Black President" (1984) Nollywood movies?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Ugbomah

5) Are Hubert Ogunde's movies Nollywood movies?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Ogunde

6) Is Mr Johnson a Nollywood movie?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Johnson_(film)

7) Are Ola Balogun's movies Nollywood movies?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ola_Balogun

12 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 6:14pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Aiye (1980)
Jaiyesimi (1981)
Aropin (1982)
Ayanmo (1988)
Orun Mooru (1982)
Aare Agbaye (1983)
Mosebolatan (1985)
Obee Gbona (1989)
Tokunbo (1985)
Papa Ajasco (1983)
Taxi Driver (1983)
Ajani Ogun (1976)

Just to name a few

smh you forgot super story. you are listing television drama series, soaps which were popular then. We also had the masquerade, village headmaster, Ichoku in the 70s and the very popular things fall apart in the 80s. These series were to become the springboard of the home video revolution started by living in bondage because most of the actors of the movie industry of the 90s and 20s were groomed by them not these ones you mentioned.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:15pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
smh you forgot super story. you are listing television drama series, soaps which were popular then. We also had the masquerade, village headmaster, Ichoku in the 70s and the very popular things fall apart in the 80s. These series gave were to become the springboard of the home video revolution started by living in bondage because most of the actors of the movie industry of the 90s and 20s were groomed by them not these ones you mentioned.

Doofus. Papa Ajasco movie was released other than the TV series. Learn something

And all the numerous Ogunde and Baba Sala movies listed there and also Ade Love.

Do some research and stop being delusional

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Ibadanpikin: 6:16pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Aiye (1980) Jaiyesimi (1981) Aropin (1982) Ayanmo (1988) Orun Mooru (1982) Aare Agbaye (1983) Mosebolatan (1985) Obee Gbona (1989) Diamond (1990 Home video ) Agba Man (1992, Home Video) Return Match (1993, Home Video) Ana Gomina (1996, home video, ) Tokunbo (1985) Papa Ajasco (1983) Taxi Driver (1983) Ajani Ogun (1976) Cry Freedom (1980) Money Power (1982) Ija Ominira (1979)

Just to name a few
These are useless,local films that end in yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 6:17pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Doofus. Papa Ajasco movie was released other than the TV series. Learn something

And all the numerous Ogunde and Baba Sala movies listed there and also Ade Love.

Do some research and stop being delusional
The same way 'super story' series were later released as home videos.
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:17pm On May 31, 2020
Ibadanpikin:
These are useless,local films that end in yoruba land.

All were better produced with better quality than that trash and disposable living in bondage. Totally mediocre quality movie shot on a camcoder.

These were mostly celluloid expensive production

8 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:18pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
The same way 'super story' series were later released as home videos.

And the Ogunde super flicks that got international recognition and screening are listed there. Brilliant movies

6 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Ojiofor: 6:18pm On May 31, 2020
Lebee4:

Go and ask your VP and don't trouble us here with ur usual envy Igbo vs Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 6:19pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

All were better produced with better quality than that trash and disposable living in bondage. Totally mediocre quality movie shot on a camcoder.

But nobody knew about them. how come living in bondage is known all over the country and beyond?

3 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Armaggedon: 6:22pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

And the Ogunde super flicks that got international recognition and screening are listed there. Brilliant movies
maybe, but we are talking about home videos released and sold all over the country like living in bondage, Nneka the pretty serpent and glamour girls.

in fact what you call nollywood is Nigerian movie industry. The industry has its writers, producers, directors, clear channel of marketing and distribution and its culture which is Igbo. This is because it started in Igbo language, expanded and adopting English for business expediency while still retaining the Igbo culture. Technically some of these Yoruba and Hausa movies are not really nollywood. I guess this realization gave birth to the idea of kannywood, while the Yoruba movie makers still want to hold on to the brand created by nollywood.

6 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by jimyjames(m): 6:22pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Aiye (1980)
Jaiyesimi (1981)
Aropin (1982)
Ayanmo (1988)
Orun Mooru (1982)
Aare Agbaye (1983)
Mosebolatan (1985)
Obee Gbona (1989)
Tokunbo (1985)
Papa Ajasco (1983)
Taxi Driver (1983)
Ajani Ogun (1976)
Cry Freedom (1980)
Money Power (1982)
Ija Ominira (1979)
Evil Encounter (1980]

Just to name a few

These movies you mentioned are not even known by Nigerians , nollywood gain global recongnition through Igbo movies , the rich culture of the Igbo's portrayed in nollywood movies known globally .

5 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:23pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Aiye (1980)
Jaiyesimi (1981)
Aropin (1982)
Ayanmo (1988)
Orun Mooru (1982)
Aare Agbaye (1983)
Mosebolatan (1985)
Obee Gbona (1989)
Tokunbo (1985)
Papa Ajasco (1983)
Taxi Driver (1983)
Ajani Ogun (1976)
Cry Freedom (1980)
Money Power (1982)
Ija Ominira (1979)
Evil Encounter (1980]

Just to name a few

This is a result of awolowo failed free education, equating local backyard stories told to amuse ourselves to mega money big budget movies that created a whole new industry called Nollywood.

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:23pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
But nobody knew about them. how come living in bondage is known all over the country and beyond?

Everybody knew about them. They were also internationally recognized.

Just say they weren't played in your villages coz you had no movie theatres and could hardly afford a VHS player

11 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 6:23pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

They are not. They are all movies shown in movie theaters and aso sold on VHS tapes. If you know what that means
So, you're simply saying that the VP isn't informed well enough to make his assertions public?

In other words, he's wrong with that statement.

Isn't it?

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:23pm On May 31, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
So, you're simply saying that the VP isn't informed well enough to make his assertions public?

In other words, he's wrong with that statement.

Isn't it?

He was either taken out of context or he misspoke

5 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:24pm On May 31, 2020
jimyjames:

These movies you mentioned are not even known by Nigerians , nollywood gain global recongnition through Igbo movies , the rich culture of the Igbo's portrayed in nollywood movies known globally .

Even my yoruba classmates here said they never heard of these backyard series.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:24pm On May 31, 2020
jimyjames:

Ask your parents. Ok scratch that. They were too poor to buy movie tickets or VHS players grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:24pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

He was either taken out of context or he misspoke

Which makes him a slow person? Stop insulting osinbaba .
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Seerade029: 6:25pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Just say they weren't played in your villages coz you had no movie theatres and could hardly afford a VHS player

True tho
Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by SLAP44: 6:25pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Ask your parents. Ok scratch that. They were too poor to buy movie tickets or VHS players grin grin

Would be yoruba if you don't throw insults?

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by nobaga: 6:25pm On May 31, 2020
Ogunde the Pioneer and Father of Nollyhood since late 50s.

If you know you know.

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by kayfra: 6:26pm On May 31, 2020
Seerade029:

Lol. Stop saying everybody knew about them.

Maybe 5% or less, knew the movie called living in bondage.

I've never watched it b4, I only do hear it here on Nairaland.

They are even on imdb database

This is Jaiyesimi

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0082575/

When they call you poor and local now you'd take offense. Let me educate you all

4 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Seerade029: 6:26pm On May 31, 2020
Armaggedon:
maybe, but we are talking about home videos released and sold all over the country like living in bondage, Nneka the pretty serpent and glamour girls

Lol. Stop saying everybody knew about them.

Maybe 5% or less, knew the movie called living in bondage.

I've never watched it b4, I only do hear it here on Nairaland.

All these movies you mentioned, I'm just hearing it for the first time

1 Like

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by FortuneDeGreat(m): 6:26pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Foul mouth but mind you, you don't have the monopoly of that.
Some timid untraveled fellows would always think that civilization begins and ends with their immediate enclave. Nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Is Southeast The Real Birthplace Of Nollywood? by Ibadanpikin: 6:27pm On May 31, 2020
kayfra:

Mention any actors/actresses of those dramas abi films that are popular like pete edochie,nkem owoh,patience ozokwor,Genevieve,mr ibu,aki and papaw,chiwetalu agu etc.Can those dramas you mention compete with nollywood movies like igodo,ijele,blood money,most wanted,living in bondage etc

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COMPLETE SEASONS: Money Heist (season 1 - 4) / The Gotham Series Fan Club / The New Satellite SLTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.