Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,764 members, 7,837,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Bringing Back History As A Subject In Secondary School Curriculum. Good Or Bad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bringing Back History As A Subject In Secondary School Curriculum. Good Or Bad (270 Views)

The Plea Of University Lecturers To Teachers In Secondary Schools!!! / Bayelsa To Include Chinese Language In School Curriculum / Lagos Orders Reintroduction Of History Into School Curriculum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bringing Back History As A Subject In Secondary School Curriculum. Good Or Bad by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 06, 2020
Some people had argued that the removal of history as a subject from the secondary school curriculum is a wrong move and if we can reintroduce history into the secondary school curriculum, it would help foster unity and peaceful coexistence. I used to support this view until last week when I discovered that history as a subject in secondary school curriculum will further fuel the problem of tribalism in Nigeria.
I was reading about how Isaac Adaka Boro declared Niger Delta republic and was crushed by general Aguiyi Ironsi through colonel Odimegwu Ojukwu. He was sentenced and was later released by general Yakubu Gowon. Years after Ojukwu declared Biafra republic. I was eager to post the story, Why? Because it suit my narrative. If you check what is going on here on nairaland, many of us are quick to quote the part of history that favour us and ignore the part of history that do not favour us.
We keep blaming Tafawa Balewa, Nnamdi Azikwe, Obafemi Awolowo etc, that are dead long time ago instead of focusing more on now and the future. To me, I believe no tribe/region is completely innocent, all the tribes need to share the blame.
I don't expect everyone to agree with me but the question is; do you think reintroducing history as a subject in secondary schools curriculum will help foster unity or not.
Re: Bringing Back History As A Subject In Secondary School Curriculum. Good Or Bad by helinues: 8:15pm On Jun 06, 2020
Indifference embarassed

1 Like

Re: Bringing Back History As A Subject In Secondary School Curriculum. Good Or Bad by Marbani(m): 10:04am On Jun 07, 2020
A good and practise historian is not bias either religiously or tribalism, if you are bias then you are not writting history, and also history is the study of the past in order to understand the present and to better the future , i think bringing history to our curriculumn is a better idea that i will like the federal government to do, it will help us to understand some situation that we are passing on.

(1) (Reply)

If You Are To Write UI Postutme, Then This Is For You. / Fsbn Scholarship Update / Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK) Post-utme / DE Screening Form For 2020/2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.