Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

How I Bought My Bride - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How I Bought My Bride (1696 Views)

Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / How I Bought My Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Bought My Bride by aloyemeka1: 1:09am On Jan 23, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ifyalways(f): 3:24pm On Jan 23, 2011
The writers objective is not very clear to me;is it abt cows he gave his in-laws or celebration of his marriage?Btwn,beautiful bride he got.If u cant deal with anyone's culture,Please stick to your own.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by Obiagu1(m): 6:43pm On Jan 23, 2011
The title is very demeaning to say the least. If I were a member of that family, after reading this article, I'd pay back the dowry and annul the marriage.
He can't even show respect to other people's tradition.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 8:03pm On Jan 23, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ezeagu(m): 10:44pm On Jan 23, 2011
tpia*:

and why should they charge a white man a cow?

he can marry any lady for free if he so wishes.

nigerians wey dey marry them pass, arent paying that much brideprice i'm sure.

If he can marry anybody, that's his business, but if he's marrying into this culture then he must pay. Why must there be different rules for 'white men'?

Anyway, I'm that many Nigerian cultures only require change for dowry's now.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 11:04pm On Jan 23, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by MOBO444(f): 11:07pm On Jan 23, 2011
^^^ So you ran away, you really need a man tonight, something big and strong with lasting power, you have to really search tonight.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ezeagu(m): 11:08pm On Jan 23, 2011
tpia*:

^^he's marrying a bride, not the culture.

is he not?

In most of Africa when you marry a bride you're also marrying the family. If an African marries an English person he would be required to buy gold, silver or diamond rings that cost hundreds to thousands (and sometimes millions), what is the difference with buying cows?
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 11:15pm On Jan 23, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by aloyemeka1: 11:19pm On Jan 23, 2011
[img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50895000/jpg/_50895587_chris+kutdance2.jpg[/img]

Isn't she worth all the cows?. He looks like David Beckham and she looks like Brandy

See mega gbadun after the dowry payment.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by africhika(f): 12:10am On Jan 24, 2011
all this criticism, man!

i thought it was a beautiful story and it's easy to see the happiness in the couple's faces.
obviously this guy loves the lady if he was willing to do all that. nice story.
cool
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ezeagu(m): 1:29am On Jan 24, 2011
tpia*:

well, he still has to buy the girl a ring in any case, so it's not quite the same thing.

So Sosotho men must buy gold rings for their wife or is it his own culture? Just drop it.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 3:53am On Jan 24, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 24, 2011
tpia*:

^^the man isnt sosotho, so that doesnt apply.

and yes, buying rings is general, not specific per se.

in short, there was no need to start charging cows and whatnot- there's always room for compromise.

the guy is not from their culture, and isnt even black.

this kind of rigidity is counter-productive and will come back to bite you in the behind.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get you!

So if a man were marrying from a tribe that's not his, then then the culture doesn't apply to him?

Like if a yoruba were marrying an igbo then he doesn't have to do the ime ego, igba nkwu and other igbo cultural marriage rites
Re: How I Bought My Bride by aloyemeka1: 12:14pm On Jan 24, 2011
tpia*:

in short, there was no need to start charging cows and whatnot- there's always room for compromise.

this kind of rigidity is counter-productive and will come back to bite you in the behind.

Engagement and wedding rings are not general. A western culture adopted by Africans in addition to the ones they already have.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ezeagu(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2011
tpia*:

Rings are not required by Sosotho customs, so how does it count? If it was a Sosotho man being urged by a white family to buy rings you'd say nothing because of a cultural and racial complex. Sorry, I don't see Western culture as the norm that we all most follow. What on earth does rigidity mean? Africans continuing their culture is 'counter-productive'?
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 10:05pm On Jan 24, 2011
/
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 10:09pm On Jan 24, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ezeagu(m): 10:28pm On Jan 24, 2011
tpia*:

this isnt about rings.

you brought rings into the discussion, and i reminded you rings are[b] in addition to [/b] the cows and whatnot.

That's the whole thing, there's no where in the story that he said he was required to buy rings. Rings can sometimes cost more than cows so it is relevant in comparing Sosotho culture and Western culture. If it was a Sosotho man marrying a British person, he would be required to buy expensive rings which would be equivalent to the cows, among other things and MOST UK weddings cost over 5000.

tpia*:

yes, many marriages today involve rings, regardless of location. This isnt the 13th century.

What does that even mean? Since when do rings in marriages indicate modernism? Many marriages involve rings, but it isn't a requirement in Sosotho marriages. So if a man buys rings when marrying a Western woman, he will buy cows when marrying a Sosotho woman, no matter if he is a precious white man that can "marry anybody he likes". If he wants to buy rings and do a white wedding then that's not the Sosotho people's business because they didn't ask him to.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by aloyemeka1: 4:12am On Jan 26, 2011
tpia*:

this isnt about rings.

you brought rings into the discussion, and i reminded you rings are[b] in addition to [/b] the cows and whatnot.

yes, many marriages today involve rings, regardless of location. This isnt the 13th century.

rigidity in the sense that the relatives are supposed to be looking out for the woman, not themselves alone.

as such, they should have tailored the requirements to reflect what the man is used to, and what he'd appreciate
na my opinion o!.

na my opinion o!

Why should Africans be required to adjust their culture to what the man is accustomed to but the westerners don't care about what we are accustomed to whenever we want to marry their daughters?. Buying cows in my opinion makes more sense than buying a tiny piece of shiny stone for thousands of dollars. But it is their company and no African is saying they should ban it rather, our women are copying the culture and imposing it on their suitors.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by aloyemeka1: 1:03am On Jan 27, 2011
ezeagu:

What does that even mean? Since when do rings in marriages indicate modernism? Many marriages involve rings, but it isn't a requirement in Sosotho marriages. So if a man buys rings when marrying a Western woman, he will buy cows when marrying a Sosotho woman, no matter if he is a precious white man that can "marry anybody he likes". If he wants to buy rings and do a white wedding then that's not the Sosotho people's business because they didn't ask him to.

GbaM.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 1:25am On Jan 27, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by Jenifa1: 2:21am On Jan 27, 2011
I'm sure if he objected to the traditions, he wouldn't have agree to it. He probably even liked it. I know how some oyinbo ppl are all about experiencing african culture and whatnot.
Re: How I Bought My Bride by dayokanu(m): 9:29pm On Jan 27, 2011
Most Oyinbos buy their brides rings that can buy a whole village of cows, Guess he bought his wife also when he bought the ring
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 10:32pm On Jan 27, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2011
Does it matter who he gives the ring to?

What matters is that he took money out of his pocket and spent it to get married.

If a culture demands you buy Gold dust and throw it into the air, Does it matter if you didnt give to someone?

Bottom line, He took his money to buy something to enable him get married so he is indirectly "BUYING" the bride
Re: How I Bought My Bride by tpia6: 10:57pm On Jan 27, 2011
Re: How I Bought My Bride by dayokanu(m): 10:59pm On Jan 27, 2011
tpia*:

he isnt buying the bride if he puts a ring on[b] her [/b] finger.

they're still married without the ring.

How many people marry without the ring in his culture? Probably equal to number of people who marry without the cow In her culture
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ezeagu(m): 11:05pm On Jan 27, 2011
tpia*:

he isnt buying the bride if he puts a ring on[b] her [/b] finger.

they're still married without the ring.

Some brides (and grooms) would disagree. grin
Re: How I Bought My Bride by dayokanu(m): 11:07pm On Jan 27, 2011
^^ trtue,

Thats why the saying and song "PU A RING ON IT" is popular in Some cultures
Re: How I Bought My Bride by ifyalways(f): 5:58pm On Jan 28, 2011
^Baba agba when wud u put a ring on her? angry
Re: How I Bought My Bride by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^ Bring her from where you hid her first so i can put a ring on her

(1) (2) (Reply)

silly stuff Nigerians Do On Instagram / Kindly Share Proverbs In Your Dialect. / PHOTOS: Oba Tejuoso's Pre-80th Birthday Family Dinner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.