Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public (84528 Views)

Indonesians Who Don't Wear Face-Masks Are Made To Lie In Coffins By Police (Pix) / Different Shades Of Face Masks In Lagos (Photos) / Bra-Shaped Face-Masks In Japan Sell Out Minutes After Launch (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by lalasticlala(m): 10:13pm On Jun 07, 2020
Coronavirus: WHO advises to wear masks in public areas

The World Health Organization (WHO) has changed its advice on face masks, saying they should be worn in public where social distancing is not possible to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

The global body said new information showed they could provide "a barrier for potentially infectious droplets".

Some countries already recommend or mandate face coverings in public.

The WHO had previously argued there was not enough evidence to say that healthy people should wear masks.

However, WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday that "in light of evolving evidence, the WHO advises that governments should encourage the general public to wear masks where there is widespread transmission and physical distancing is difficult, such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments".

What is the WHO's advice?
The organisation said its new guidance had been prompted by studies over recent weeks.

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's technical lead expert on Covid-19, told Reuters news agency the recommendation was for people to wear a "fabric mask - that is, a non-medical mask".

Fabric masks should consist of "at least three layers of different material" in order to be effective, the WHO says.

However, those aged over-60 and with underlying health risks should wear medical masks in areas where there is community transmission.

At the same time, the WHO stressed that face masks were just one of a range of tools that could be used to reduce the risk of transmission - and that they should not give people a false sense of protection.

"Masks on their own will not protect you from Covid-19," Dr Tedros said.

Big shift in guidance
This is a big shift in the WHO's guidance on when the public should cover their faces. For months, the organisation's experts stuck to the line that masks would encourage a false sense of security and would deprive medical professionals of badly needed protective equipment.

Those arguments have not gone away but at the same time the WHO acknowledges that new evidence has emerged on the risks of transmission.

It points to recent research that people can be highly infectious in the few days before they show symptoms and that some people catch the virus but never show symptoms at all, as I reported last weekend.

So where distancing is not possible, such as on public transport and in locations as varied as shops and refugee camps, it is suggested that faces are covered with homemade masks to avoid passing on the infection.

Over 60s with underlying health conditions should go further, the WHO said, and wear medical-grade masks to give themselves better protection.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52945210?SThisFB

This their guidance is rather coming late after many months of COVID-19 pandemic.

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by pyyxxaro: 10:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
Am just here to read comments undecided

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Davicjoe(m): 10:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
I already lost respect for WHO. They seem to be another scam just like the federal government of Naija. The use of fave mask has declined in so many states in Nigeria.

325 Likes 15 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by olaric(m): 10:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
The WHO now trying to stay relevant after countries around the world seem to have moved ahead by taken their destinies in their own hands. Come to think of it, why three-ply masks? Even a single-ply mask reduces your ability to breathe well.

309 Likes 19 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Perfecttouchade: 10:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ok..we await the Nigeria's guidelines too of how to wear facemask in order to avoid being infected with Nigeria's version of Coro..coro dey, e no dey ..make we all Sha stay safe jare

26 Likes 8 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by jchioma: 10:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
With the advent of the COVID-19 virus, so many guidelines and directives have emanated from the World Health Organization and other medical bodies.

I have tried to keep up with most of these directives, like maintaining physical distancing by a distance of at least 2 metres; regular handwashing with soap under running water; use of hand sanitizer, wearing a mask before leaving my home etc. but the one which says "Don't touch your face" has become my albatross.

It is said that you can contract coronavirus by touching almost anything in a public space and then touching your mouth, eyes or nose, but I can't remember how many times I have touched my face today or my eyes, not to talk of touching or adjusting the mask while it is on, despite my best efforts.

It is also estimated that on average, humans touch their face 23 times per hour. These new guidelines do not address this issue of what to do to avoid touching your face.

Abeg, I cannot come and go and kee myself jare!

For what?

Something whose existence in Nigeria is still a subject of cynicism and debate?

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
Dem go shift this goalpost till e commot for stadium

271 Likes 15 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by SILVERLINES: 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
cheesy
Some folks are wearing it while driving just alone inside the car.

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by davibid: 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
I stopped taking WHO seriously a long time ago coz Its just an organization used by rich evil people to achieve their evil plans

But God pass them

107 Likes 7 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by DaddyGngeess(m): 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Good one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by kingmurainah(m): 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Are you looking for how to acquire many ethereum through networking. Then check my sig

3 Likes

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by uche393: 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
yeye, They played little role in fighting this pandemic, they just sit their ass and wait for funds.
the same WHO said "facemask is not a necessity for healthy persons"

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by kingmurainah(m): 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
K

1 Like 1 Share

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Vyzz: 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Who is WHO?

The have started again, many countries have lost respect for them.

Is like this tenure is the worst ever.

From Buhari to trump to this who chairman

6 Likes

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by CANDYDADDY(m): 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
WHO should stfu,they are deceitful and they have different and bad motive about the disease and they actually working together with the Chinese government.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Goldenkrezi: 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Abeg make WHO park well jhorr.grin

Something we Don dey wear since.

Irresponsible organization feeding us obsolete info. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Vyzz: 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Why is everybody barking?

Is it one of the cure to covid19

2 Likes

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Modikko(m): 10:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Somebody will take advantage of this. Please take her number down. Change your approach.

2 Likes

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Vyzz: 10:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
WHO wants to buy this space?

It is for sale
Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
Covid19 in Nigeria, if you believe it is

i. Scamdemic/plandemic, click "like"

ii. Pandemic and real, click "share"

iii. Confusing, quote me and state why.

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
smiley
WHO is confused

Pun intended cool

3 Likes

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by royalrich(m): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ok
Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Triangles1(m): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
I thought is only Nigeria that are full of corrupt leaders but now W. H. O has joined and at the same time confuse.

They ask us to cover nose and mouth while the virus can penetrate through eyes or is eyes not sensitive to get infected abi which way nah even me I'm confuse on this coro palava.

6 Likes

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by sapientia(m): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
Am more sound than WHO.

Took them months to know what have caused many to abuse to some of us.

There is no big science with knowing what masks can do or not and that it should be worn always when in public.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public by Chijeep(m): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
I know say we go soon dey pay tax on top face mask.

Buhari Jubril fear ur oldage ooo if u no fit fear God

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Coronavirus: China Accuses US Army Of Bringing Virus To Wuhan, Sparks Outrage / Funeral Prayers For Multiples As Kano Death Toll Mounts / The Woman I Saved On Christmas Day (Graphic Photos And Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.