Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,086 members, 7,842,120 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Farmers Loose Billions Of Naira To Swine Flu In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Farmers Loose Billions Of Naira To Swine Flu In Nigeria (438 Views)

Why Many Inexperienced Fish Farmers Loose Money In Catfish Farming. / Swine Flu Kills Over 700 Pigs In A Day In Oke Aro, Nigeria / Why Many Poultry Farmers Loose Their Birds And Are Broke!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Farmers Loose Billions Of Naira To Swine Flu In Nigeria by ayEbeneyzer(m): 8:58am On Jun 08, 2020
Hello guys, it's a very sad time to experience this in Nigeria, but it is really going on. Pig farmers in Nigeria at the Oke-aro pig farm(The Largest Piggery Farm Settlement In Africa) has lost billions of naira to what is called Swine Flu( a respiratory disease). This disease can be passed from pigs to pigs if the affected pig is not quickly isolated from the healthy ones, and the worst thing is that it doesn't have a cure yet, only a vaccine which we don't have in Nigeria. It started early this year and hasn't stopped yet.
Many farmers who thought they would see their profit in time have actually been left with nothing because they don't have any pig again in their pen. Pigs have been dying everyday and farmers have been loosing their lives mostly because they borrowed money to start up there business or it was the only source of their income. Personally, my dad has lost over #2.5 million Naira, which is a lot of money especially with the pandemic (covid-19). I just wish the government could do something for us to stop all this, for example, they can make the vaccines available to farmers by importing them. I can actually say that a government official hasn't been to the farm since the whole issue started and this shouldn't actually happen because this said farm is the biggest in Nigeria.
People have taken to twitter to narrate their ordeal.

Re: Farmers Loose Billions Of Naira To Swine Flu In Nigeria by ayEbeneyzer(m): 9:07am On Jun 08, 2020
I hope it gets to front-page

Re: Farmers Loose Billions Of Naira To Swine Flu In Nigeria by choice17(m): 9:23am On Jun 08, 2020
What a sad read!!
Nothing as painful like seeing your animals dying right before your eyes helplessly

Agriculture is not easy, as it is mostly unpredictable, I'm So sorry for their lost.

(1) (Reply)

Raising Cattle For Beginners / Snake: The Way Back To Bush As A Non-living Being / Prices Of Rice, Yam, Tomato, Increased In September – Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.