Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek (49386 Views)

Best Of Majek Fashek Mix (majek Fashek Audio Tribute Mixtape) / #throwback:majek Fashek – Send Down The Rain / Who Know The Title Of Majek Fashek Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by mantosa(m): 10:47am On Jun 08, 2020
If your first introduction to video games was on an Xbox or PS console, then you are probably too young to have experienced the legend of the rainmaker – Majek Fashek.

This was long before Instagram and Twitter gave us an in-road into the minds and lifestyles of celebrities.

Reggae maestro, Majek Fashek was dubbed the rainmaker not necessary because his magnetic performances drew hundreds of drooling fans to his world but because, as myths go, whenever he performed his hit song, ‘Send Down The Rain’, the heavens responded likewise and actually sent down rain.

Now before you get all riled up and start disputing the factuality of rainmakers based on current metrological standards, hear me out.

Maybe my personal experience with the rainmaker would help clear the gathering clouds in your mind.

Long before concerts were mime-fests, tobacco brands were actively involved in organizing concerts and Benson & Hedges, the leading tobacco brand, put together a concert in Lagos, headlined by the rainmaker himself, Majek Fashek.

That was before the reggae icon’s unfortunate experimental alchemy of music and narcotics.

Majek Fashek was sprightly back then, with a quirky dance that was like watching a jester on a threadmill. He was confident too, belting his music without reserve, eyes closed and clutching the microphone like an impatient lover.

Those concerts were usually free or at worse, they would request for a paltry sum of money that was not commensurate to the level of premium entertainment being served. It was obvious that the tobacco company wanted more than our money. Why else would they offer us the biggest voice in Africa, Majek Fashek, virtually free?

We were handed cigarette packs as we walked into the concert ground and we soon found a space and settled to wait.

Majek Fashek wasn’t the only artiste billed to perform, there were other low-level performances scheduled, and we soon got into the groove of the night as artiste after artiste hit the stage and made an attempt to win our loyalty.

As the night progressed, the crowd soon became restless, because it was obvious that a good percentage of the audience came to see the rainmaker.

After several false starts, (MCs back then had a way of keeping you excited while delaying the headline act) Majek Fashek was finally called up.

The crowd went into frenzy as the band played the rainmaker in. I had heard many stories about his amazing ability to provoke rain when he delivered the track, ‘send down the rain’ but soft-sell magazines back then were notorious for doctoring facts and so I wasn’t too sure.

He started the gig with a light banter with the crowd as reggae artistes are prone to do and then an introductory song (I can’t remember which one now) and we all gyrated as best as we could amidst writhing bodies and smelling armpits.

But deep within us, we knew what we wanted.

The rain song.

After only two songs, a chant rose up from the crowd.

Send.. down..the..rainnnnn…

A general consensus had been reached, we wanted the rain song.

I will never forget Majek’s strange grin, as if to say, ‘is that what you really want?’

He shrugged, signaled the band and they hit the tune.

The crowd went wild.

“The sky looks misty and cloudy…” he wailed, pivoting his dreadlocked head towards the ink black sky.

We sang along but from time to time looked up expectantly. Was the legend of the rainmaker true? Will we be drenched in this open ground concert by the magic of a song?

As Majek rambled on, distorting his lean frame in time to the tune of the music, something strange began to happen. Quiet flashes of lightning started fizzling through the darkness.

Was it really about to rain?

We roared at the first sign of a rumble of thunder and everyone went crazy. Bodies stumbled into other bodies, as we let go of our inhibitions and danced. We had become an extension of the rainmaker, a part of his mysterious ensemble.

As you might have guessed, the rains came. Not in torrents but in a light drizzle that washed over us and intensified our screams.

Majek didn’t seem as surprised as we were and never even mentioned the presence of the downpour. He just carried on with his dance and song, a musical tribute to the benevolent forces that has kept his myth alive.

Reggae icon, Majek Fashek died on the 1st of June, 2020 in New York.

source: https://tushmagazine.com.ng/the-legend-of-the-rainmaker-majek-fashek/

80 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by kingkoboko: 12:53pm On Jun 08, 2020
Wat if Majek Fashek actually paid rainmakers 2make it rain weneva he performed his Send Down The Rain hit?

Hehehe...

But e dey possible o *winks*

47 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Blacknote: 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Roon9(m): 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
He attained really great heights at some point. I argued he wasn't even a Nigerian back then. This life is really funny.

call for our 444Wh lithium-ion solar generator that could power your TV, laptop, standing fan and up to 4 lighting points for up to 13 hours daily

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by nanauju(f): 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
I am happy when I see people with flawless skin, introducing YORI YORI this is for those who want to whiten very fast, it doesn't bleach, it lightens very fast giving u a fair and glowing skin, removes black spots, black heads, black knuckles, pimples and gradually fades stretch marks ❤️

RETAIL PRICE: 1800

Call or whatsapp on 070 6180 9819

Location is Lagos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Orion01(m): 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
May his soul rest in peace. Amen.
It actually rained heavily in Benin city the day he died.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
Every man with his problem

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by toluleke(m): 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
The man don die now we no go rest when he was alive did you celebrate him. Rather na Toto dicke , snakes and bob risky update.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Muyiwaipere(m): 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
One of his friends told us he uses Juju...well might be true

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by ForeThinker: 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
The adolescents of my generation, greedy for life, forgot in body and soul about their hopes for the future until reality taught them that tomorrow was not what they had dreamed, and they discovered nostalgia.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Naijaarchive(m): 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
cheesy
Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by AmazingMOG: 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
God bless him and May his soul Rest In Peace.

I’m really happy he died a believer, Imagine he died Islamist? Hell fire would have been his portion.

You better repent now if you’re Islamist, atheist on this forum or hell will be your abode

NB: be very careful when replying Me I’m not your daily men of God you insults on this forum try that I’ll open the gate of hell for you and your generation.

If I be a man of God!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by clefstone(m): 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
legend in the order of Marley, Fela, Dube

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by bigjoe1000(m): 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
R.I.P man
Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by ednut1(m): 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
Say no to drugs. The youths wont listen

2 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by joviegghead: 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
Majek the legend.

A role model musically. But lifestyle-wise? Umm, I can't say the same.

Lesson from his life: focus on what you love and excel at it. But Don't do drugs. Trust me, it doesn't make you 'spiritual' has you may think neither does it bring 'inspiration' for free. Every indulgence extracts fractions of your life. Majek should have known better.

But still, hail the rain maker

6 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
Wow

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 2:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
This OP dn high o, wetin concern XBox and playstation na? So dat day for the concert Rain cor fall abi wetin?

4 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by KingAzubuike(f): 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2020
kingkoboko:
Wat if Majek Fashek actually paid rainmakers 2make it rain weneva he performed his Send Down The Rain hit?

Hehehe...

Exactly the case. With the use of siver iodide and potassium iodide which induces nucleation and acts as a surface conducive for condensation to occur which then turns to precipitation. It's what these so called rain makers do and they call it juju lol. That's why they only try their bullocks during rainy season. They can't do it during dry season.

13 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Maxymilliano(m): 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2020
Truly a Legend ..

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Sexyjigga(m): 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2020
Though I don't do African music but I must really say Fela kuti and Majek fashek are the only World class nigerian artists.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by sammysneh(m): 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2020
Rip Majek, u are a legend..

3 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by CelestineNelson: 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2020
G
Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by bjayx: 2:31pm On Jun 08, 2020
Let the dead rest in peace
Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by lexdany(m): 2:32pm On Jun 08, 2020
man was truly a legend...RIP majek

5 Likes

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by tillaman(m): 2:32pm On Jun 08, 2020
Rest In Peace Legend, I and I from Zion jah
The Evil forces really did a number on Fashek, he doesn’t look 57 at all more like 77 angry I hope they let him find rest

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Soulsymbol99: 2:33pm On Jun 08, 2020
Who else noticed the price of the newspaper? cheesy Good old dayz

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by seancombs617: 2:33pm On Jun 08, 2020
Orion01:
May his soul rest in peace. Amen.
It actually rained heavily in Benin city the day he died.

The said the guy is involved in some sorta spirituality,and that the song is spiritual grin..legend says it rained during summer in the USA while he performed the song...bye

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of The Rainmaker – Majek Fashek by Blacknote: 2:34pm On Jun 08, 2020
kingkoboko:

Hehehe...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Help Me With The Lyrics Of "AKANAM KWE" / Ice Cube Disses Kanye, Eminem, Jay-z, Dr Dre And Everyone In New Song. / Oldies: Legends That Sang Into Our Hearts Back In The Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.