Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? (1309 Views)

Elect & Elect, Computer, Instrumentation, Mathematics--FREE Online Lectures / Don't Engage In Online Lectures - ASUU Warns Members / Prepare For Your 2020 WAEC Exam With Free Online Lectures From Davetuts Academy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by theakinakinboye(m): 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2020
[img]https://1.bp..com/-218YFGhkA0M/Xt9AALFz4lI/AAAAAAAAAQk/r3iIrXinELosL77S9OzKypUY-OWBGlsmQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Prof.%2BOluwatoyin%2BOgundipe.jpg[/img]
The Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos, Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, at the inauguration of the renovated Human Resource Development Centre building and meeting rooms donated to the University of Lagos Business School by the Chairman, Platform Capital, Dr Akintoye Akindele announced that the university has adopted online teaching in its bid to resume academic activities.

The statement brought a level of relief, other institutions (especially private universities) has since adopted various teaching online strategies in their bid to continue with academic activities despite the lockdown.

The statement which was supposed to answer questions raised more questions.

A Punch Newspaper published news titled "UNILAG adopts online teaching, to resume academic activities" quoted the VC to have said,

“I want our students to know that it may be a bit difficult for us to bring all of them back to campus now. This is because they are more vulnerable to COVID-19. So we are going to do online teaching and we want to assure them that we will put them into consideration.
“Management has met on that. At a particular point, we are going to put them into consideration, in such a way that they will not need to buy the data. They will only buy the data when the lectures are going on.”

From the quote, it is clear that the school is trying her best to consider the financial implication of receiving lectures online. But the solution the VC and the Management is considering makes me ask this question "can a student participate in an online class without data?"

I don't think it is possible. Even if the lectures are pre-recorded and uploaded or sent via email, you still need the internet to download the videos.

I was thrown into further confusion when I read this,

"...we are going to put them into consideration, in such a way that they will not need to buy the data. They will only buy the data when the lectures are going on.”

This is not clear to me. I dont know if I'm the only one confused here. I mean, the VC was quoted to have said students will not need to buy the data but they will only buy the data when the lectures are going on. This statement brings more questions than answers. If I am a student at the University of Lagos, I will not know what to think right now.

In his statement, the VC assured students that resumption of academic activities in the institution would be considered as soon as possible, adding that they would be given free access to the internet during the examination.

https://www.theakinakinboye.com/2020/06/unilag-introduces-online-lectures.html

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by LordIsaac(m): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2020
Lols

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by merieam16(f): 10:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
hmmm unilag we er watching
Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by MVLOX(m): 6:34am On Jun 10, 2020
Op this your title is misleading ooo
Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by wyqay: 7:33am On Jun 10, 2020
Great
Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by obaile: 10:11am On Jun 10, 2020
The school can adopt the sponsored data option whereby the students access the school site even without data (the school has paid for the data/ zero rate the school website).

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by Ajibade123(m): 12:35pm On Jun 10, 2020
CITS and DSA should just be deceiving themselves
Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by theakinakinboye(m): 9:24pm On Jun 10, 2020
obaile:
The school can adopt the sponsored data option whereby the students access the school site even without data (the school has paid for the data/ zero rate the school website).
wise one. I think this is what the school wants to do. The VC didn't understand it too well.
Re: UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription? by TAYO124: 6:38am On Jun 17, 2020
As if data is the only requirement, electricity is still very poor. Rubbish!

(1) (Reply)

Another NYSC Corp Member Dies In Benue State[photos] / Studying In Romania;what Do U Say? / How Can I Get Scholarship For Postgraduate Studies In The Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.