Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,729 members, 7,837,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' (409 Views)

Policing The Cyber Space By Dr Franca Attoh HOD, Sociology, UNIVERSITY Of Lagos / Community Policing: Delta Ready With 378 Special Constabularies / 7 Things That Can Get You Into Trouble With The Police(SARS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2020
It will be a great progress if there are ways to initiate 'police the police' in Nigeria. Let there be a compulsory video capture of police checkpoints or units at designated areas in Nigeria. These videos should be available on all police online portals daily. As police are fighting crime, which is their essential duty, let Nigerian citizens start to build confidence in the police force through more accountability measures. This is possible since other African countries like Kenya are doing even better!. Abeg let anyone in authority encourage this so people will be proud of the Nigerian Police Force!!

2 Likes

Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by Oluromantic: 5:20pm On Jun 12, 2020
Your suggestion makes common sense.

But once they start, the cameras will get faulty after a while and won't be properly maintained.

Ordinary police vans aren't well maintained let alone camera. Promotion arrears are delayed, retirement gratuity after a long time.

3 Likes

Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 1:25am On Aug 11, 2020
It will require a strong commitment from government and third parties experts, like a five year partnership, to ensure sustainability and transparency of this policing standard

1 Like

Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 1:35am On Aug 11, 2020
I believe it is possible: but policing in Nigeria will need to embrace community policing with a human face and not a dictatorial face!
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by andyanders: 4:09am On Aug 11, 2020
Oluromantic:

But once they start, the cameras will get faulty after a while and won't be properly maintained.

Ordinary police vans aren't well maintained let alone camera. Promotion arrears are delayed, retirement gratuity after a long time.

Same police will destroy any gardget put in place to monitor their activities. We are not in a sane society. Our leaders are so currupt that they cannot stand to condemn.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 5:43am On Aug 11, 2020
It's sad but true! However, in life I have noticed how it's important to keep projecting your desires, whatever it is, small or large, because the future is still ahead. Some people that suddenly find themselves in positions of authority mostly only thought of partaking of the 'national cake'. This 'national cake' idea destroys technocracy, capitalism and progression in the country: it may seem good now when illicit cash flows into your hand but when the slate is to be cleaned many greedy 'subordinates' take the fall because they thought it was normal to greedily partake of the 'national cake'! I will encourage more strategic options being projected; in my case, with regards 'policing the police', because the future could just come looking for you as a result of how far reaching your desires go. There is a lot of promises an under-developed country like Nigeria offers which makes people from different parts of the globe to, in a way, keep a vigilant eye on the country.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2020
I see a revolution has started in the country. It is sad some people have been killed who just wanted to see a change: which will inevitably happen in Nigeria. One day, Nigerians in Nigeria and abroad will be proud of their country because of the high level of security and economic development that'll exist: this will come to pass very soon!!

There should be effective plans to evaluate the salary structure of the police force, continual training and mental evaluation of the force members and transparency to enable citizens participate in an effective 'policing of the police' program in the country.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 8:22pm On Oct 13, 2020
I will also recommend that the Nollywood industry pick stories of remarkable police officers who are exceptional and produce these kind of movies at different times. This, I believe, will have an effect of promoting good values in the police force.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 8:24pm On Oct 23, 2020
It is important that we should never yield to depression and frustrations! There is always hope, insatiable greed is what has brought Nigeria to its current position. It is high-time people rise, with light in their hearts and minds, work out the Nigeria that shall be the envy of Western nations.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by AsabaPropertyAg(m): 10:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
Opp, your suggestion is very good but it may not work, they will find a way to demobilize the cctv in a way that it will not capture their criminal activities.

I was telling some people 2 months ago that the federal government should set up a committee/panel in every police station or police post in every local government's that will look into any case brought to police stations and the committee should be made up of Lawyers, clergymen, a police officer who retired as a DPO or higher, activists ,civil organisations and may be traditional rulers. They will work with the police and village heads, the communities should report any arrest, intimidation, harrassment from any police to this committees whether the case is 2 fighting, Robbery, fraud, scam, yahoo yahoo, Neighbours, friends, debt settlement, murder case, family matters, land tussle etc., the committee will demand for the case file and the suspect from the police and they will look into the suspect`s case file and also interrogate the suspect after going through his file to avoid police lying against the suspect and after their findings they will decide if the suspect will be released or not to avoid suspects spending more than they should in police detention because of the policemen selfish interest on money they will make from the suspect and this committee should visit the cells every week because some suspects spend days ,weeks, months, years in detention because of offence they shouldn't have spent more than 24 hours because of outrageous money the police demands from them, I know the federal government allocates huge amount of money to the Nigerian Police every year but still they charge people too much money running into hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions before suspects are bailed from most police stations and they will share the money amongst themselves and government still allocates money to the police every year and they wrote in the police stations that bail is free. The reform about the Nigerian police is over due because the way they handle human beings in public, you will ask yourself does this police people have relations, even if they blind yours eyes while panel beating human being like iron they don't care because nothing will happen to them unless it is done to a relation of a bigman or people that matters in the society, we endured alot from the hands of the police, we believe it will end with this protest which have never happened before. What ever reform the Federal government is planning for the police they should look into this points I raised here. I heard that the federal government is about to increase the Nigerian police salary, please let it be done as quickly as possible so that they will stop killing us because of #20. I don't think that there is any family that have not suffered any form of police brutality in Nigeria apart from people from the North.

The Nigerian police Reform should be headed by Former Inspector General of Police, MOHAMMED DIKKO ABUBAKAR, I believe in him with what he did during his reign as IGP.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by obyrich(m): 3:31am On Oct 24, 2020
Oluromantic:

Every police officer on duty must have a body camera. Failure to do so should attract automatic dismissal.
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 1:49am On Nov 02, 2020
AsabaPropertyAg:
Opp, your suggestion is very good but it may not work, they will find a way to demobilize the cctv in a way that it will not capture their criminal activities.

I was telling some people 2 months ago that the federal government should set up a committee/panel in every police station or police post in every local government's that will look into any case brought to police stations and the committee should be made up of Lawyers, clergymen, a police officer who retired as a DPO or higher, activists ,civil organisations and may be traditional rulers. They will work with the police and village heads, the communities should report any arrest, intimidation, harrassment from any police to this committees whether the case is 2 fighting, Robbery, fraud, scam, yahoo yahoo, Neighbours, friends, debt settlement, murder case, family matters, land tussle etc., the committee will demand for the case file and the suspect from the police and they will look into the suspect`s case file and also interrogate the suspect after going through his file to avoid police lying against the suspect and after their findings they will decide if the suspect will be released or not to avoid suspects spending more than they should in police detention because of the policemen selfish interest on money they will make from the suspect and this committee should visit the cells every week because some suspects spend days ,weeks, months, years in detention because of offence they shouldn't have spent more than 24 hours because of outrageous money the police demands from them, I know the federal government allocates huge amount of money to the Nigerian Police every year but still they charge people too much money running into hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions before suspects are bailed from most police stations and they will share the money amongst themselves and government still allocates money to the police every year and they wrote in the police stations that bail is free. The reform about the Nigerian police is over due because the way they handle human beings in public, you will ask yourself does this police people have relations, even if they blind yours eyes while panel beating human being like iron they don't care because nothing will happen to them unless it is done to a relation of a bigman or people that matters in the society, we endured alot from the hands of the police, we believe it will end with this protest which have never happened before. What ever reform the Federal government is planning for the police they should look into this points I raised here. I heard that the federal government is about to increase the Nigerian police salary, please let it be done as quickly as possible so that they will stop killing us because of #20. I don't think that there is any family that have not suffered any form of police brutality in Nigeria apart from people from the North.

The Nigerian police Reform should be headed by Former Inspector General of Police, MOHAMMED DIKKO ABUBAKAR, I believe in him with what he did during his reign as IGP.

Very interesting points you have raised!! I believe the #endsars protest was a pivotal moment to lead to changes. I have heard of the salary increment for the poice force: I am hoping it is done ASAP! The reforms should be aimed at more transparency. The business that will spring up in Nigeria when security is efficient will amaze everyone.

Look at how efficiently the US Navy Seals took at a kidnapped American from captors in Niger at the early hours of 1/11/2020: that is what makes citizens proud of their country. I am believing the time will come soon when Nigerians can be at least proud of the reformed Nigerian police force- of course I am not comparing the police force to the US Navy Seal cool!!
Re: Let There Be A Program In Nigeria: 'policing The Police' by BuzChi(m): 1:58am On Nov 02, 2020
obyrich:
Every police officer on duty must have a body camera. Failure to do so should attract automatic dismissal.

This will be the pinnacle of observing transparency and enabling high regards of citizens rights, but I am not sure the Nigerian police force is ready for it yet. In the US, it took some time for their police force to use body-cams. It was embraced by California in 2009, and other states started using it gradually till it became a norm in most states sometime from around 2015. For now, I will suggest every police vehicle should have a camera mounted on it, at the front and back, and camera coverage at strategic street and highway cameras on high-crime locations.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of 6 Nigerians Who Defrauded U. S Of Over $6 Million / Have You Ever Being Arrested For Helping Your Immediate Boss At Work? / Referee Dies After His Friend Hit Him With A Juju Ring During A Match In Iwo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.