Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? (876 Views)

Needed: Front End Lead Developer / Cybersecurity Or Machine Learning ? Which Is The Most Preferred In Nigeria / Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by superboyspecial: 12:08pm On Jun 13, 2020
Hello guys, I really need your advice on this...

In a bid to learn a skill that'll help bring in money to put through my final year, I took to programming, starting out with web development(front-end web dev in particular). Along the line, I discovered that my love was for Data Science(machine learning actually) so I decided to go along with both fields, one cause I have a passion for it and wanted it as a career(as one had to be experienced enough to start profiting from data science) and the other was because I felt it'd take a shorter time to start profiting from it.

Fast forward to now, I got the Google Africa Developer Scholarship on Mobile Web Development and kinda already have a good knowledge of HTML/CSS as well as Python, I'm currently about to start learning JavaScript and also taking a course on "Introduction to Machine Learning".

Due to having 2 fields to work on, the progress hasn't been that fast but I'm putting in more work to make it as fast as possible.

The reason for this post is that lately, I've been coming up to some posts/comments in the forum talking about how saturated Web Dev is right now due to the high number of people into it, the free availability of DIY web builders and how other developers are constantly slashing down prices as well as a couple of other reasons.
These posts/comments make it seem as though the web dev field is on a constant downward trend and that web devs will find it harder to make good money and even worse for Front End Web Devs whose source codes can easily be copied and altered.

So with the reasons above, I don't know if it'll still be a good idea to continue learning front end web dev or if I should drop it to accelerate my machine learning journey.

Your views will be very much appreciated.

*Mods - please help me push this to the right place

Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by Tolzy11(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2020
superboyspecial:

In a bid to learn a skill that'll help bring in money to put through my final year, I took to programming, starting out with web development(front-end web dev in particular). Along the line, I discovered that my love was for Data Science(machine learning actually) so I decided to go along with both fields, one cause I have a passion for it and wanted it as a career(as one had to be experienced enough to start profiting from data science) and the other was because I felt it'd take a shorter time to start profiting from it.

Fast forward to now, I got the Google Africa Developer Scholarship on Mobile Web Development and kinda already have a good knowledge of HTML/CSS as well as Python, I'm currently about to start learning JavaScript and also taking a course on "Introduction to Machine Learning".

Due to having 2 fields to work on, the progress hasn't been that fast but I'm putting in more work to make it as fast as possible.

The reason for this post is that lately, I've been coming up to some posts/comments in the forum talking about how saturated Web Dev is right now due to the high number of people into it, the free availability of DIY web builders and how other developers are constantly slashing down prices as well as a couple of other reasons.
These posts/comments make it seem as though the web dev field is on a constant downward trend and that web devs will find it harder to make good money and even worse for Front End Web Devs whose source codes can easily be copied and altered.

So with the reasons above, I don't know if it'll still be a good idea to continue learning front end web dev or if I should drop it to accelerate my machine learning journey.

Thank You.
How did you go about the Google dev scholarship program ? To answer your question continue doing what you are doing if you are getting both concept like you said you understand python so machine learning should be easy for you like wise web dev with html,css and js but if you are always getting stuck then take it one after the other

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by Abcruz(m): 4:32pm On Jun 13, 2020
Focus on one, solidify your knowledge apply it in real life project then move to another and do likewise.

Understanding basic concept alone without executing a project is likened to a man building a house without a definite plan. Stop jumping ship and focus.

F=follow
O=one
C=Course
U=Until
S=Successful.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by Sulele04(m): 5:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
superboyspecial:

Thank You.

Bro I like your passion but I must give you the honest truth there is a big diff between web dev and web design. The market can never be saturated for skilled web developers, when I mean skills
Html5. Css. JavaScript. Monggodb.js. Express.js angular.js. Node.js php (laravel and codeigniter) and mysql I tell you
if you can master all this technologies you will never be broke and jobless.. Before I leave web dev I want to ask you something do you think a web app like Instagram, Facebook can be made with diy,WordPress etc. Programming is just like every other field there is superior apps and inferior apps you cant expect a 10,000 web developer to provide you with quality web app the way you cant expect to get a good car with 100000 I hope you get. Also if you don't really like front end learn back-end it pays more

As for machine learning it is an exciting new field of programming. I have a very close friend of mine in this field he cashes out big time earns more than 100,000$ Dollar per annum. But I must tell you it is not a bet of roses you will have to get your hands dirty.
I advice you to learn c++ or java if you really want to be an expert in this field don't mind all those people telling you python is best ai language. Python is at best a prototype to test your ml models. Don't get me wrong learn both python and c++(I prefer it over java) python(prototyping) c++ or java (deployment)
Python: pytorch,keras,scikit-learn,nltk,tensorflow
C++: tensorflow,vowpal wabbit(vw my favorite ml library), opencv

Learn all this I assure you money will be over-saturated in your bank account

Also let me just give you a little secret if you want to be really rich learn blockchain programming I assure you be a money bag. Blockchain programmers are the richest

But at the end of the day you cant know all I advice you to pick one that really interest you, but just know that as long as you are well skilled and versatile people will tell you the market is over saturated, you will look at them and laugh.

I wish you luck in your programming career

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
Why do most Nigerians believe web development is equals to wordpress. Websites are getting more advanced. We are having full scale computer applications running on browsers. Do you think something like Google docs could be built with wordpress.

My advice is that you should focus on one thing and get good with it really good with it.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by superboyspecial: 5:38pm On Jun 14, 2020
Abcruz:
Focus on one, solidify your knowledge apply it in real life project then move to another and do likewise.

Understanding basic concept alone without executing a project is likened to a man building a house without a definite plan. Stop jumping ship and focus.

F=follow
O=one
C=Course
U=Until
S=Successful.

Thanks for responding...
which one would you advice me to focus on given that I'm looking for ways to make quick money?
should I go for machine learning(the one I want a career in) even though It may take longer to start profiting from or for web development??
Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by superboyspecial: 5:42pm On Jun 14, 2020
Tolzy11:

How did you go about the Google dev scholarship program ? To answer your question continue doing what you are doing if you are getting both concept like you said you understand python so machine learning should be easy for you like wise web dev with html,css and js but if you are always getting stuck then take it one after the other

I understand both but the issue is that I don't know if I should continue with web development due to the reasons I gave or If I should drop it to focus more on Machine Learning...

About the Dev Scholarship program, it only just began so I'm yet to do something about it... Thanks for your response
Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by superboyspecial: 5:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Sulele04:

Bro I like your passion but I must give you the honest truth there is a big diff between web dev and web design. The market can never be saturated for skilled web developers, when I mean skills
Html5. Css. JavaScript. Monggodb.js. Express.js angular.js. Node.js php (laravel and codeigniter) and mysql I tell you
if you can master all this technologies you will never be broke and jobless.. Before I leave web dev I want to ask you something do you think a web app like Instagram, Facebook can be made with diy,WordPress etc. Programming is just like every other field there is superior apps and inferior apps you cant expect a 10,000 web developer to provide you with quality web app the way you cant expect to get a good car with 100000 I hope you get. Also if you don't really like front end learn back-end it pays more

As for machine learning it is an exciting new field of programming. I have a very close friend of mine in this field he cashes out big time earns more than 100,000$ Dollar per annum. But I must tell you it is not a bet of roses you will have to get your hands dirty.
I advice you to learn c++ or java if you really want to be an expert in this field don't mind all those people telling you python is best ai language. Python is at best a prototype to test your ml models. Don't get me wrong learn both python and c++(I prefer it over java) python(prototyping) c++ or java (deployment)
Python: pytorch,keras,scikit-learn,nltk,tensorflow
C++: tensorflow,vowpal wabbit(vw my favorite ml library), opencv

Learn all this I assure you money will be over-saturated in your bank account

Also let me just give you a little secret if you want to be really rich learn blockchain programming I assure you be a money bag. Blockchain programmers are the richest

But at the end of the day you cant know all I advice you to pick one that really interest you, but just know that as long as you are well skilled and versatile people will tell you the market is over saturated, you will look at them and laugh.

I wish you luck in your programming career

Thank you for the response... I truly appreciate this

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Front-end Web Development Or Machine Learning? by Abcruz(m): 6:08pm On Jun 14, 2020
superboyspecial:

Thanks for responding...
which one would you advice me to focus on given that I'm looking for ways to make quick money?
should I go for machine learning(the one I want a career in) even though It may take longer to start profiting from or for web development??

The truth is that programming is not a quick cash out career. If the amount of money you can get is the only motivation behind your goal then you may likely give up on the road.

It takes hours, days, weeks, months and years to gain mastery. And mastery comes before money.

Before embarking on the journey of programming ask yourself this simple question:
What can I create to solve human problem with a programming skill?

Mark Zukerberg's and other great men once pondered upon that question above consciously or unconsciously before his decision to bridge communication gap through the creation of Facebook.

Well you can go for machine learning but programming irrespective of any field is not a quick money venture. "Passion to develop is the only boat that sails the developer".

(1) (Reply)

Loan Available.. / Between C#, Golang And Javascript Which Should I Learn As My First Language / Some Of My Throwback Frontend Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.