Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) (1058 Views)

Inside Unhatched Egg Of Dinosaur That Lived In Argentina 80 Million Yrs Ago (Pix / 100-Year-Old Crocodile 'King Buka' Dies In Captivity (Photos) / Human Bones Found In Stomach Of Crocodile That Killed Indonesian Worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 14, 2020
An ancient crocodile species that lived around 120 million years ago may have walked on two hind legs - just like dinosaurs, scientists believe.

Their work is based on an analysis of large, well-preserved footprints discovered at the Sacheon Jahye-ri excavation site in South Korea.

The researchers first thought the fossilised foot impressions were from another ancient reptile known as the pterosaur.

But investigations revealed the footprints to have heel-to-toe impressions, which the palaeontologists believe were unlikely to have been made by the flying reptiles.

Dr Anthony Romilio, from the University of Queensland in Australia and one of the study authors, said: "At one site, the footprints were initially thought to be made by a giant bipedal pterosaur walking on the mudflat, we now understand that these were bipedal crocodile prints."

The team also initially questioned the absence of handprints from the trackways, given that modern crocodiles are four-legged, or quadrupedal, creatures.

But the fine details of the toe-pads and scales on the creatures' soles preserved at the site are thought to prove otherwise.

Dr Romilio said: "The footprints measure around 24 centimetres, suggesting the track-makers had legs about the same height as human adult legs.

"These were long animals that we estimate were over three metres in length."

Professor Kyung Soo Kim, from Chinju National University of Education in South Korea, who led the research, said that while the footprints indicate the animals were moving in the same way as many two-legged dinosaurs, the impressions at the Sacheon Jahye-ri site show clear heel impressions like those made by crocodiles.

He said: "Dinosaurs and their bird descendants walk on their toes.

"Crocodiles walk on the flat of their feet leaving clear heel impressions, like humans do."

Dated between 110-120 million years old, the footprints are thought to belong to a new species of crocodylomorph, which are ancestors to modern-day crocodiles and alligators.

However, the trackways showed the animals to have a narrower stance than crocodiles.

Prof Kim said: "Typical crocodiles walk in a squat stance and create trackways that are wide.

"Oddly, our trackways are very narrow looking - more like a crocodile balancing on a tight-rope.

"When combined with the lack of any tail-drag marks, it became clear that these creatures were moving bipedally."

The findings are published in the journal Scientific Reports.
Source: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/ancient-120million-year-old-crocodile-22177256

Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by yanabasee1(m): 9:00am On Jun 14, 2020
Until science tell us the animals that lived on this Earth more than a billion to trillion years ago...I'll not take them.serious.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by StephenBB(m): 9:00am On Jun 14, 2020
My people My people...
Macsjebs on the the beat again

Like if you believe...share if you don't
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 14, 2020
StephenBB:
My people My people...
Macsjebs on the the beat again

Like if you believe...share if you don't
lol, don't be too expectant sha, may not get to front page cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by MajesticKris: 9:09am On Jun 14, 2020
Make una leave this animals na....

Face Corona..
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by scrolldown88: 9:15am On Jun 14, 2020
This guy's no get work I swear. How does this discovery help life on Earth?

1 Like

Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by StephenBB(m): 9:16am On Jun 14, 2020
Macsjebs:

lol, don't be too expectant sha, may not get to front page cheesy cheesy cheesy
I can bet with my phone that it'll get to fp.
Just wait and see...
Is not this millions and billions years ago stories!
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by Nonso92(m): 9:23am On Jun 14, 2020
Okay
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by MajesticKris: 9:41am On Jun 14, 2020
that's their problem they keep looking for things that have passed... In other words bringing more trouble for us...
One day we go hear say, one creature don enter street from lab
scrolldown88:
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by Notatribalist(m): 10:23am On Jun 14, 2020
yanabasee1:

Until science tell us the animals that lived on this Earth more than a billion to trillion years ago...I'll not take them.serious.....
You dey mind this people? They just dey quote years anyhow.
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by illicit(m): 10:59am On Jun 14, 2020
crocky
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by lordm(m): 12:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
We need proof
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by kenny714433(m): 2:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
Let me just doubt this footprint stuff for once.

How huge were these creatures that their footprint could cause so much large depressions that could remain for millions of years?

What type of soil will leave the footprints for millions of years? Won't rain, wind or activities of other animals fill the print with surrounding sand?
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by obonujoker(m): 11:10pm On Jun 15, 2020
Dinosaurs angry
Re: 120million Year Old Crocodile That Lived In South Korea Walked On Two Legs (Pix) by MrBONE2(m): 12:24pm On Jun 17, 2020
scrolldown88:
It helps cos it enable us to know our ancient and accestrial BoneBeings that liveth on earth before being Guwarad to oblivion by nature grin

(1) (Reply)

Pc Cctv Help? / I Need Mtn Fast Link Or Airbox. / Pls Help I Need A Very Good Isp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.