Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,368 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures (1055 Views)

The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites / Why You Have Never Heard Of An Igbo Empire. / 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Authoreety: 6:31pm On Jun 14, 2020
Have you heard of snake wine? See pictures of the drink that is popular in some countries

Wine is mainly an alcoholic drink made from fermented grape or other things on occasion like fermented grain or fruit. It comes in many colours, forms, tastes and brands, but have you ever heard of snake wine? I'm guessing the answer is no. And if you haven't, then let me assure you that this strange-sounding and strange-looking drink is very very real.

This panacea can mainly be found in Southeast Asian countries where it is believed that the alcoholic, snake-soused beverage has medicinal properties and the ability to cure a range of sicknesses that include rheumatism, arthritis, lumbago, migraines, etc. It is also said to have pain relieving properties.

As per taste, snake wine is said to be strong, slightly sweet and with a taste reminiscent of chicken or fish because of the presence of the snake.

Snake wine is neither new nor strange as it originated during the Zhou dynasty that lasted from 1046-771 BC (before Christ), and since then, it's still around and going strong.

How to make snake wine is pretty simple, if you are the type that can handle snakes. First of all, a bottle of wine is brought, in this case rice wine or some other grain wine is the preferred choice; afterwards, a live snake is forced into the liquid and sealed for months, during which the snake dies (sometimes. More on that later), leaving behind a reptilian-tasting and allegedly medicinal solution behind.

Optionally, you can choose to have a shot of snake wine directly from a live snake if you don't want to wait for it to stew for months in a bottle. In this case, a snake is brought, killed in your presence and its blood and bile are mixed with alcohol which is consumed on the spot. This is referred to as mixed snake wine while the ones where the snakes are placed in bottles are called steeped snake wine.

Sometimes, other creatures and herbs are added to the mix in order to make it more potent or attractive to customers. Such creatures or herbs include scorpions, geckos, more than one snake or ginseng roots.

An obvious question that must be nagging you by now is, "don't the venomous snakes and scorpions make the wine poisonous?" and "Is it safe to drink?". The answer you'll get is "yes" to both questions because it is alleged that the alcohol is capable of neutralising the venom, therefore rendering the wine safe to drink. In fact, some say the venom is the most important part of the recipe!

TRIVIA
A few years ago, a woman was bitten by a snake after she opened a bottle of snake wine that had been left to sit for 3 months. As it turns out, snakes can enter a hibernation state that let's them survive for long periods in inhospitable conditions. Remember that if you ever decide to try this stuff.

1 Share

Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Authoreety: 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2020
Asians no go fit kee us o

3 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by SeverusSnape(m): 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2020
Tufia!

I rather drink urine than drink this 'thing'.

China and their strange recipes.

1 Like

Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jun 14, 2020
Disgusting!
China won't stop surprising the world
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by youngest85(m): 6:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
Wtf
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Anyahuruagu: 6:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
kiss
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Xristars(m): 6:40pm On Jun 14, 2020
What! for real oo. A toss of cobra wine.
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by SultanM: 6:54pm On Jun 14, 2020
Who will like to take a shot of those with me grin
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Hypnotise: 7:23pm On Jun 14, 2020
SultanM:
Who will like to take a shot of those with me grin
After you
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by SaintBishop: 8:42pm On Jun 14, 2020
Disgusting sad

2 Likes

Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by VKconcept(m): 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2020
Asians especially chineses are known to have psuedoscience medicines albeit it can be ticking bomb sometimes.
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by SultanM: 11:16pm On Jun 14, 2020
Hypnotise:

After you
grin oyana
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by shaggy007(m): 12:02pm On Jun 15, 2020
I've heard of it, and seen men drink it in Taiwan.

But after these details, I'm Speechless
Re: Have You Heard Of Snake Wine? See Pictures by Authoreety: 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2020
Lala. Isn't this palatable enough?

(1) (Reply)

am the Future North Nigeria president / Teach Me Arabic ! / Scientists Call For End To Race Denial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.