Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,578 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King (4305 Views)

Lagos Belongs To Us – The Bini / People Of The Western World Are Slaves Owned By Their King And Governments / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 2:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
It is already a know fact that the benin people respect and cherish thier monarch, even the whitemen noted this fact, in the acient times, the love the bini people give to their monarch is an undisputed fact even till date, and sometimes it even calls for jealousy from the other tribes, and sometimes may also make other tribe fall inlove with the benin monarchy just for that single reason Some benin people believe that edo state should even go back to monarchial system of government but the oba had silently town it down
By avoiding anything politics,

So benin people why do you love the oba and respect him so much unlike the way other ethnic groups disrespect thier kings? some people even think the respect comes out of some festish fear from the oba,
and do you believe this respect will be lost over time or even grow stronger
The statement a king is not adorn in his hometown, seems more like a different ball game when attach to the benins so lets hear your opinons........

Samuk davidnazee Sarah20A, Etinosa1234, ghostwon, valirex, Binikingdowm

In my next post i will be writing on the benins unique type of traditional belives system
Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by CokeBar(f): 2:18pm On Jun 16, 2020
No idea why...

I am Bini, although I don't reside there... I have great reverence for the Oba.

Oba ghato kpere...

Iseee!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by valirex: 2:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ọba gha tokpere Isee

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Mraphel: 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2020
All Oba are respected

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 2:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
Because, there is no such monarchy in the whole of Edoland, both before and after the Yorubas introduced it to the Binis only.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Etinosa1234: 4:03pm On Jun 16, 2020
You are correct ...
The respect and reverence for the oba is very high in Benin
Oba gha t'okpere

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 5:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
While growing up my parents were still practicing
The traditional belief worship and we also usually pray for the oba as we prayed for ourselves .......

Umogun gha to kpere..... Ise

4 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 6:35pm On Jun 16, 2020
Yes, you must pray for him because all his Edo subjects are his slaves.

The Yoruba-Obas of Benin consider their Edo subjects as their slaves.

These Yoruba-kings of Benin and the Edo people whom they rule over till date (and forever) are from different ethno-linguistic stocks.

See an instance of what I'm talking about in Roth (1903), p.103 below:

"The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people are free, but are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." We have seen above that for different reasons the king claimed male children, widows and slaves belonging to deceased subjects; he could hardly get much more, so that the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

No king considers his subjects to be his slaves if indeed they are one and the same people. Food for thought! cheesy

cc: Igbos, OhanaezeNdigbo, NnamdiKanu, IPOB, MASSOB, Biafra grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by techmo(m): 8:15pm On Jun 16, 2020
Then you have never seen the north rever and worship there kings

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 8:35pm On Jun 16, 2020
techmo:
Then you have never seen the north rever and worship there kings

No the benins is worse in everything they do,
You need to stay in benin to see it

The word oba gha to kpere means god bless the oba its a prayer not a greeting
Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Emilokoiyawon: 11:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin

Awon oloshis

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 10:02am On Jun 17, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:
grin grin grin grin grin

Awon oloshis

I smell hate this early morning...... From the Weaklings
Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by IDENNAA(m): 2:21pm On Jun 17, 2020
Its your culture , I respect it but I dont want to ever think of any human superior to me or my generation. I am Igbo and in my culture an adage reads nwata kwochaa aka osolu ogalaya lie ife....hard work , good deeds and riches brings you to level with the greats. So, I dont see your Oba the way you see him.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Emilokoiyawon: 5:21pm On Jun 17, 2020
gregyboy:

I smell hate this early morning...... From the Weaklings

grin grin e pain am...kee yasef. A village can never be a country. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by IDENNAA(m): 6:03pm On Jun 17, 2020
TAO12:
Yes, you must pray for him because all his Edo subjects are his slaves.

The Yoruba-Obas of Benin consider their Edo subjects as their slaves.

These Yoruba-kings of Benin and the Edo people whom they rule over till date (and forever) are from different ethno-linguistic stocks.

See an instance of what I'm talking about in Roth (1903), p.103 below:

"The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people are free, but are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." We have seen above that for different reasons the king claimed male children, widows and slaves belonging to deceased subjects; he could hardly get much more, so that the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

No king considers his subjects to be his slaves if indeed they are one and the same people. Food for thought! cheesy

cc: Igbos, OhanaezeNdigbo, NnamdiKanu, IPOB, MASSOB, Biafra grin

Like I said, its their culture even if you thought it deamening. And , in order for respect and peace to prevail I will tolerate Bini and their reverence to their king and hope they do same and respect the Igbo "every man is created equally" philosophy.
Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2020
IDENNAA:

Like I said, its their culture even if you thought it deamening. And , in order for respect and peace to prevail I will tolerate Bini and their reverence to their king and hope they do same and respect the Igbo "every man is created equally" philosophy.

Well, it's in no man's culture that a king (who is one of the people) should regard same people as his slaves in such a default, sweeping, and general way.

The actual historical background is an open-secret. The foregoing historical fact is another confirmation of such well-known historical background .

In other words, the Obas are Yorubas, while his subjects (that is -- his default slaves) are Edos. Simple!

But in fact, I understand the perspective you're looking at things from. We should respect one another regardless of the historical truths. Got it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 7:25pm On Jun 17, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:

grin grin e pain am...kee yasef. A village can never be a country. grin grin

Lol....... Weaklings will always live at shadow of the strong.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Emilokoiyawon: 7:44pm On Jun 17, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]Lol....... Weaklings will always live at shadow of the strong....[/s].

cheesy I can see the shadow of your inconsequential Bini/Edo village BUT where is the strong? Kee yasef joor cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:

cheesy I can see the shadow of your inconsequential Bini/Edo village BUT where is the strong? Kee yasef joor cheesy cheesy

Yes we are the village of the strong, and the yorubas is a country full of weaklings....... I wish you could take rat poison like your ancestors who couldn't face the rot of thier masters

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Emilokoiyawon: 8:24pm On Jun 17, 2020
gregyboy:

Yes we are the village of the strong, and the yorubas is a country full of weaklings....... I wish you could take rat poison like your ancestors who couldn't face the rot of thier masters

cheesy Yes. We know you are tiny village and we see your village shadow. But where is the strong? No one can see it. Its all in your head. cheesy

grin grin Kee yasef please. Bini/Edo is an inconsequential village grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by AreaFada2: 7:55am On Jun 18, 2020
gregyboy:

No the benins is worse in everything they do,
You need to stay in benin to see it

The word oba gha to kpere means god bless the oba its a prayer not a greeting
God save the Queen is UK national anthem.

The Benin national anthem is pretty much about the Oba too. It is something about surviving ancient monarchies. Not those the select anyone remotely related to the royal family if he has money or connections. They know themselves. grin cheesy

The great imperial Obas up to Akengbuda went to the war front. They grew the empire, brought economic, social, military, political, administrative and other reforms. Creating a highly organized and efficient society. That when Europeans came in 1470s, we were already a big surprise to them.

Yes, the reference Oba of Benin get stems from the institution of identity and unity since about 2000 years.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by AreaFada2: 7:59am On Jun 18, 2020
gregyboy:

If this Emilomilo guy from SW nor careful Na cardiac arrest over Benin he go get.

This kind guy the baale of his hamlet is not up to the third in position to an odionwere of a little village in Edo. That's why they will never mention the name of their camp. grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by Emperordynasty: 12:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
I don't support the worship of a man in anyway...but I love the way the Benins show respect to their king and it also shows that values and respect is ingrained in their nature as people...

But why does TAO12 want to kill herself over this fact...
First you blindly made a claim that your yo.robber people brought the mornachy to Benin,and that the oba sees his subjects as slave....how does this you stupid claim affect the topic..

Why do you tribalistic idiots always go about to insult the cultures of others and when you get blasted you say that "they are attacking yorubas".

Why does anything Benin give you heart attack misses TAO12...I so much dispise your irritating behaviour....if you don't like the post just get the hell out of the thread...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 2:09pm On Jun 18, 2020
Emperordynasty:
I [s]don't support the worship of a man in anyway...but I love the way the Benins show respect to their king and it also shows that values and respect is ingrained in their nature as people...

But why does TAO12 want to kill herself over this fact...
First you blindly made a claim that your yo.robber people brought the mornachy to Benin,and that the oba sees his subjects as slave....how does this you stupid claim affect the topic..

Why do you tribalistic idiots always go about to insult the cultures of others and when you get blasted you say that "they are attacking yorubas".

Why does anything Benin give you heart attack misses TAO12...I so much dispise your irritating behaviour....if you don't like the post just get the hell out of the thread...[/s]

First of all, I wasn't merely making a claim. Rather, I was actaully quoting from an early report of Benin practices and customs. cheesy

Now to reply you: In every ancient culture of the world, the king is shown respect, and almost literally worshipped.

However, default enslavement is another ball game completely. shocked You can't white-wash that! grin

No king (who is of same stock as the people) regards same people as his slaves in such a default manner as the Yoruba-Kings of Benin regard their Edo subjects.

This speaks to one fact -- that is, the Obas of Benin are from a different paternal ethno-linguistic stock (Yoruba), while their subjects are from another ethno-linguistic stock (Edo).

In fact, it is not simply the people who merely lowered themselves, rather it is the royal right of the Yoruba-King of Benin to abuse his Edo subjects. It is he who must regard them as his slaves wether they like it, or they like it.

Refresh your mind again:

"The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." We have seen above that for different reasons ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, ..."

This documentation points again to the same historical fact I've proving severally to the effect that, while the subjects and commoners are Edos, their Kings (from Oranmiyan/Eweka till date and forever) are Yorubas, and they must always seal their ascension rites at certain sites in Ife.

The truth itches. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 4:37pm On Jun 18, 2020
TAO12:

In every ancient culture of the world, the king is shown respect, and almost literally worshipped.

However, default enslavement is another ball game completely. shocked You can't white-wash that! grin

No king (who is of same stock as the people) regards same people as his slaves in such a default manner as the Yoruba-Kings of Benin regard their Edo subjects.

This speaks to one fact -- that is, the Obas of Benin are from a different paternal ethno-linguistic stock (Yoruba), while their subjects are from another ethno-linguistic stock (Edo).

In fact, it is not simply the people who merely lowered themselves, rather it is the royal right of the Yoruba-King of Benin to abuse his Edo subjects. It is he who must regard them as his slaves wether they like it, or they like it.

Refresh your mind again:

"The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." We have seen above that for different reasons ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, ..."

This documentation points again to the same historical fact I've proving severally to the effect that, while the subjects and commoners are Edos, their Kings (from Oranmiyan/Eweka till date and forever) are Yorubas, and they must always seal their ascension rites at certain sites in Ife.

The truth itches. grin

You have gone mad again.... You need to be tamed
Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 4:52pm On Jun 18, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]You have gone mad again.... You need to be tamed[/s]

Thank you for admitting the fact that you (as an Edo) are a slave (by default) to the Yoruba-Oba of Benin. grin

Thank you for admitting the fact that he is not one of you -- that is, for admitting that he simply came, saw, and conquered.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 5:31pm On Jun 18, 2020
TAO12:

Thank you for admitting the fact that you (as an Edo) are a slave (by default) to the Yoruba-Oba of Benin. grin

Thank you for admitting the fact that he is not one of you -- that is, for admitting that he simply came, saw, and conquered.

The mythical ife composed by samuel johnson i loved his novel, history of yorubas, and he tried to tie oduduwa migration to egypt then later ife, he also tied yorubas to one ancestory through his mythical imagination .. I loved the novel it was top notch fools see it as history the wise sees it as composed myth that it is

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 6:05pm On Jun 18, 2020
gregyboy:

The mythical ife composed by samuel johnson i loved his novel history of yorubas, and he said a yorubas came from oduduwa and how oduduwa came from egypt... Is novel was top notch

(1) Why does Benin continue to pay homage to a mYtHiCaL non-existent Ife?? grin cheesy Ask Ewuare! grin

(2) Having said that, Erediauwa said that Benin was founded by its first Oba.

He added that this Oba was given birth to by the Supreme God Almighty as his last-born son grin > cheesy

But he forgot to mention the name of God's wife whom this mythical founder was born through.

MythicalBenin -- first made-up by Erediauwa. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 6:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
gregyboy:

The mythical ife composed by samuel johnson i loved his novel history of yorubas, and he said a yorubas came from oduduwa and how oduduwa came from egypt... Is novel was top notch

But in any case:

Thank you for continuing to admit the fact that you (as an Edo) are a slave (by default) to the Yoruba-Oba of Benin. grin

Thank you for admitting the fact that he is not one of you -- that is, for admitting that he simply came, saw, and conquered

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by TAO12: 6:08pm On Jun 18, 2020
gregyboy:

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
TAO12:

But in any case:

Thank you for continuing to admit the fact that you (as an Edo) are a slave (by default) to the Yoruba-Oba of Benin. grin

Thank you for admitting the fact that he is not one of you -- that is, for admitting that he simply came, saw, and conquered

Re: Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King by gregyboy(m): 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
TAO12:

(1) Why does Benin continue to pay homage to a mYtHiCaL non-existent Ife?? grin cheesy Ask Ewuare! grin

(2) Having said that, Erediauwa said that Benin was founded by its first Oba.

He added that this Oba was given birth to by the Supreme God Almighty as his last-born son grin > cheesy

But he forgot to mention the name of God's wife whom this mythical founder was born through.

MythicalBenin -- first made-up by Erediauwa. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Is Your All-time 'most Admired Person' / Ooni Of Ife's Breathtaking Castle (photos) / Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.