Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,317 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 (16297 Views)

Arsenal Vs Sporting Lisbon Europa League (3 - 5) pens On 16th March 2023 / Liverpool Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On August 28 2021 / Champions League To Resume August 7 (View Calendar) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by obembet(f): 5:33pm On Jun 17, 2020
UEFA have today confirmed plans to finish this season's Champions League with a mini-tournament in Lisbon over 12 days in August

Europe's premier club competition will complete its 2019-20 edition with a final-eight World Cup-style tournament, held in the Portuguese capital, from August 12 to August 23.

After the four outstanding last-16 ties are completed at the scheduled home stadiums, the quarter-finals onwards will be held on neutral territory, with no fans present and, most notably, over just one-leg.

As things stand, teams will not have to quarantine either, with each club are likely to set up in their own hotel away from the public so that social distancing measures can be maintained.

UEFA have earmarked August as the month to complete the competition in order to give Europe's top domestic leagues enough time to finish their respective seasons.

The 'final eight' tournament will be held over 12 days in Lisbon, with the first match taking place on August 12 and the final being played on August 23.

Instead of playing the quarter-finals over two legs as normal, the new plan will see the ties become single games across four straight days.

The semi-finals, which will also be played over one leg, will take place on August 18 and 19, with the final at the Estadio da Luz four days later.

Istanbul was due to host the 2020 final but will now be the venue for the 2021 showpiece, with all other scheduled hosts moving back a year.

The teams already qualified for this season's quarter-finals are France's PSG, Italy's Atalanta, Spain's Atletico Madrid and Germany's RB Leipzig.

The remaining last-16 second-leg fixtures are Manchester City's home tie against Real Madrid, Chelsea's trip to Bayern Munich, Juventus's home game against Lyon and Napoli's visit to Barcelona.
Portugal was picked because of its location and the fact it has no teams left in the competition.

Lisbon emerged as an attractive host city because it has two stadiums with the facilities needed for elite matches - Benfica's Estadio da Luz and Sporting Lisbon's Estadio Jose Alvalade.

In addition, most of the country's coronavirus restrictions are also being lifted this month, with air travel in and out of the country allowed from June 22.

Visitors will not need to go into quarantine on arrival, although additional health and safety measures will be in place in a bid to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Organisers are proceeding on the basis that all matches will be played behind closed doors, with only essential personnel allowed on site.

However, UEFA are understood to have left the door open for possible changes should public health conditions in Portugal allow.

If government guidelines are altered in time for ticketing to be organised, there is an outside chance that some fans could be allowed in to watch.

The capacity of both grounds would be greatly reduced in order to comply with social distancing rules and other safety protocols.

UEFA are braced for a loss in income from broadcasters, who will expect sizeable refunds because they will have six fewer games to show as a result of the new format.

Source: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/025e-0f9a3f8c5c4d-3323c8a96a4d-1000--champions-league-to-resume-on-7-august/amp/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by abdulwadood(m): 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2020
Nice one

1 Like

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 17, 2020
I hope and pray Ronaldo and Juventus will win this one in Lisbon

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by OmoOduduwa01: 7:38pm On Jun 17, 2020
Can't wait
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Pistolcamel: 7:38pm On Jun 17, 2020
[sup][/sup]
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Barbsamiin: 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
Owkey
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Mzee1Kahuna(m): 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Wow

damn nigga walking to front page like.............................

3 Likes

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Adeleye1997: 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
welcome back
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Slawormir: 7:40pm On Jun 17, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Wow
Champions League night! Best of all night

Na to resume my bet9ja and virtual bet be this
God abeg bless your boy this period
Because for every day we wake we are faced with more than a hundred ways to become a millionaire of which gambling is among

A big shout out to all my fellow gamblers, punters, stakers, risk takers and high rollers

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
Finally league is back. Wives should hand over the remote back to there husband 😉😉😉😉😉😉

2 Likes

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by beeniemccoy: 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
Which one is last 8
What will happen to teams that have return legs for the last 16 stage?

1 Like

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by whippersnapper(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by tfash96(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2020
We've heard o this is the 2nd time today now.. Kilode now
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 17, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr Wow

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by paulolee(m): 7:43pm On Jun 17, 2020
good for cr7 because it would be home coming for him but as it stands the only team that are strong favorites to win this cup is bayern because of their red hot form and they jus won thier league meaning that the rest leagues fixtures would be used to keep fit and stay in shape unlike p.s g dt thier league av been called off....forget barca, madrid and juve, those clubs aint that good for a single fixture and they all do need 2nd legs to finish off teams and not that good when playing away from home....since its a one leg tie and on a neutral ground i think a big gun may not win this, if am tipping a smaller club to make it to win it, i would go for athletico so it would finally be the year for simeone to get his hands on this holy grail, or luck would jus speak for the paris having neyma, icardi and mbappe all coming back with a bang and prove dt money can win this title and also, maybe city boys can finally win this for pep before thier transfer ban...cnt wait for those 12 days in August in lisbon...jus cnt wait

7 Likes

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by dejio42(m): 7:43pm On Jun 17, 2020
Hmmmm.
Corona or no corona, everything will be okay
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Emmagggg: 7:43pm On Jun 17, 2020
Great
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Lordjb: 7:44pm On Jun 17, 2020
Nice one... See my signature below for link to stream today's games
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by NORSYK(m): 7:44pm On Jun 17, 2020
CR7 and juventus will be victorious in the beautiful city of Lisbon
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Angelfrost(m): 7:45pm On Jun 17, 2020
Teams left to qualify definitely include:

Bayern Munich (Sorry Chelsea! Drogba has retired)!

Barcelona (Napoli under Gattuso never baff)

Juventus (no arguments here)

Man City (except Debruyne and Aguero are unfit)

1 Like

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by oluwaseyi0: 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
Corona virus just completely changed my view of life - I FINALLY BELIEVE NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT IN THIS LIFE THAN LIFE ITSELF
building mansions, buying exotic cars, marrying fine girls, watching football, finishing school as young as possible, growing business into conglomerate are all good but not sacrosanct

Things that I believe are written in gold are just changing as if it's nothing, who can ever believe the champion leagues can end up like this, I've watched two-legs throughout my life that I can't believe change is possible, France cancelled their league without bathing an eyelid, coach can now make 5 substitutions, my friend boss that can fire you for coming 5-minutes late actually shut down his business for almost 4 month - he always act like if the business doesn't run in a day he will die, as religious as Nigeria is they close down church and mosque, even the almighty Saudi Arabia put Mecca under lock and key, pope shut down Vatican

The whole world was grounded to a halt yet after some time the living simply move on

Corona I give you double salute, you are the real MVP, the one that command and leave no one any choice than to obey

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by nero2face: 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
Chelsea fans be like...
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by softplace: 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
Ronaldo turf

Like the final would be played in sporting Lisbon home stadium
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
Noted.

Chelsea can spring a SURPRISE.

NEVER SAY NEVER!!

tongue

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by iberu001(m): 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
I can't wait for UCL to start because Chelsea fan are gaining too much weight due to no shouting,cursing for their players and persecute at lampard grin grin

4 Likes

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Angelfrost(m): 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2020
NORSYK:
CR7 and juventus will be victorious in the beautiful city of Lisbon

Who exactly are you gonna beat to clinch it??! Bayern??! PSG??! Barcelona (This would be fun)??! grin

1 Like

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Divinenwa: 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2020
WHAT ABOUT euopa league
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by DenreleDave(m): 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2020
The main man

3 Likes

Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Dalil8: 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2020
Nice
Re: UCL Will Return On August 7. 'Final 8' Will Be Held In Lisbon On August 12 by Reference(m): 7:48pm On Jun 17, 2020
Advantage to teams like Bayern that have been playing for a while now and have built up great chemistry. To me they are in pole position to lift the big ears.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Burnley Vs Chelsea (0 - 4) On 5th March 2021 / West Ham Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On 11th February 2023 / UCL: Arsenal Vs AC Milan (3 - 0) On March 6th 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.