Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State (4254 Views)

Updated Prices Of Grains And Vegetables From Madallah Market In Niger State / Agusi Price Has Crash In Niger State / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 10:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
Good evening my fellow Farmlanders.

I am in a groundnut contract farming with a group of farmers at Niger state.

They are to do a trial groundnut contract farming for me this year and if everything goes as planned, we increase the hectares next planting season.

Groundnut specie planted - Samnut 24. 90 days farming period.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by dingbang(m): 11:04pm On Jun 18, 2020
So what are you proposing?
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
I had to reduce my company capital exposure to risk by engaging in a contract farming with the farmers.
I don't need to worry about owning a land, workers theft, erratic rainfall, fulani herdsmen etc.
i only gave them improved seedlings with chemicals to offtake at 60% market price at the time of harvest.

4 Likes

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:08pm On Jun 18, 2020
dingbang:
So what are you proposing?

Not proposing bro, just what am doing presently

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:10pm On Jun 18, 2020
I gave them paraeforce and paraquart contact herbicides and Butachlor selective herbicides.

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by Theconglomerate(m): 11:10pm On Jun 18, 2020
Following.
Quite daring I must say,kudos.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:14pm On Jun 18, 2020
The contact herbicides (paraeforce & paraquart) when sprayed will kill off the weeds leaves and flowers but not the seeds in the soil while the selective herbicide (butachlor) will kill off the weeds seeds in the soil but not the top leaves or flowers.
So, when the two herbicides are combined, it will kill off the weeds leaves at the top and seeds in the soil.
Effective for 4 to 6 weeks before one weeding of the farm will be done before harvesting.
Estimated harvesting period id mid/late september.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:16pm On Jun 18, 2020
Theconglomerate:
Following.
Quite daring I must say,kudos.

Thanks bro.
Na u i dey follow for back now.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by dingbang(m): 11:18pm On Jun 18, 2020
emmaodet:

Not proposing bro, just what am doing presently
would like to go into groundnut processing. I am in bida
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:19pm On Jun 18, 2020
I employed a local farm supervisor in the village for weekly monitoring and sending of report to head office.
reports are sent through whatsapp by snapping weekly progress of the farm.
He is mobile (has a bike) and educated.
For now, monthly salary is 30k and the outcome of the project will determine if am to increase it or not.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by Theconglomerate(m): 11:19pm On Jun 18, 2020
dingbang:
you no dey ph again?
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:23pm On Jun 18, 2020
dingbang:

Waoooo, that is good to hear.
I do buy groundnuts before at bida and mokwa but don't want to rely too much on them anymore. Especially the alhaji am buying from at bida, always increasing the groundnut prices on weekly basis.
With contract farming, i can farm virtually a lot of farms without owning a farmland.
Just bring around group of ever ready farmers to do it. Be it rice, groundnuts, maize etc anything can be done that way without exposing yourself to too much risk.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:23pm On Jun 18, 2020
Theconglomerate:
you no dey ph again?

grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by dingbang(m): 11:24pm On Jun 18, 2020
emmaodet:

Waoooo, that is good to hear.
I do buy groundnuts before at bida and mokwa but don't want to rely too much on them anymore. Especially the alhaji am buying from at bida, always increasing the groundnut prices on weekly basis.
With contract farming, i can farm virtually a lot of farms without owning a farmland.
Just bring around group of ever ready farmers to do it. Be it rice, groundnuts, maize etc anything can be done that way without exposing yourself to too much risk.
so how do I become part of this contract farming?
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by dingbang(m): 11:25pm On Jun 18, 2020
Theconglomerate:
you no dey ph again?
nope. Work brought me here
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 18, 2020
Extraordinary!!!

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:27pm On Jun 18, 2020
dingbang:
so how do I become part of this contract farming?

For now it is too late.
They are already planting. Tomorrow is spraying of chemicals.
Maybe next planting season bro.
Also, i did this arrangement since february when i went to north to meet these farmers for agreement and assurance.
The place is magana, close to kebbi state.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:28pm On Jun 18, 2020
CHOPbeating:
Extraordinary!!!

Thanks bro.

i willbe updating this thread regularly as i get updates from my supervisor.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by dingbang(m): 11:29pm On Jun 18, 2020
emmaodet:

For now it is too late.
They are already planting. Tomorrow is spraying of chemicals.
Maybe next planting season bro.
Also, i did this arrangement since february when i went to north to meet these farmers for agreement and assurance.
The place is magana, close to kebbi state.
wow. Can I hire farmers now to start planting this time around? Or can you sell to me when you have harvested?
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 11:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
dingbang:
wow. Can I hire farmers now to start planting this time around? Or can you sell to me when you have harvested?

I can't sell to you bro.

I process it into oils and cakes and i need a large quantity to work all round the year.
Have you cleared your farmland now to warrant hiring farmers now? Clearing of farmland was done 1-2 months ago before the rain started.
Just prepare for the next planting season bro.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by Cutehector(m): 11:52pm On Jun 18, 2020
emmaodet:

I can't sell to you bro.

I process it into oils and cakes and i need a large quantity to work all round the year.
Have you cleared your farmland now to warrant hiring farmers now? Clearing of farmland was done 1-2 months ago before the rain started.
Just prepare for the next planting season bro.
ok so now, storage business is the best now right? That is, buy from farmers and store till the price increases?
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 12:00am On Jun 19, 2020
Cutehector:
ok so now, storage business is the best now right? That is, buy from farmers and store till the price increases?

You can do that too, it is profitable but i buy and mill to produce oil and cakes for feedmills and oil consumers.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by Cutehector(m): 12:02am On Jun 19, 2020
emmaodet:

You can do that too, it is profitable but i buy and mill to produce oil and cakes for feedmills and oil consumers.
what is the profitability in milling groundnut oil.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by trueking: 1:38am On Jun 19, 2020
Following keenly, I've had this concept for a while but I wanted to use genetically modified seeds.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 1:38am On Jun 19, 2020
Cutehector:
what is the profitability in milling groundnut oil.

Not quite different from selling in the market or at expensive time.
Will rather advise you to do the contract farming and sign MOU with a milling factory to mill it for you while you sell than to saddle yourself with the stress of owning a mill.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 1:40am On Jun 19, 2020
trueking:
Following keenly, I've had this concept for a while but I wanted to use genetically modified seeds.

Is that seed not dangerous to humans? What is the yield of GMOs to hybrid or local or open pollinated seeds?
Also heard, the consuming more fertilizers

2 Likes

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by trueking: 1:54am On Jun 19, 2020
emmaodet:

Is that seed not dangerous to humans? What is the yield of GMOs to hybrid or local or open pollinated seeds?
They have their pros and cons, but what attracted me was their yield rate, a lot more profit, from what I learnt they do not always require more fertilizer than is necessary.
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by trueking: 1:56am On Jun 19, 2020
emmaodet:

I am currently preparing a place for December chickens
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 2:07am On Jun 19, 2020
trueking:

They have their pros and cons, but what attracted me was their yield rate, a lot more profit, from what I learnt they do not always require more fertilizer than is necessary.

What is the yield rate? Example for maize seed in comparison to hybrid, local and open pollinated
Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by emmaodet: 2:09am On Jun 19, 2020
trueking:

Bro, pls don't look at the yield rate alone or the pros that attracted you, please look at the cons too.
GMO is really destroying a lot of farmers in india and if am right some part of east africa.
Then health wise, it causes cancer etc
Am really scared of that seed bro

2 Likes

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by trueking: 2:13am On Jun 19, 2020
emmaodet:

Bro, pls don't look at the yield rate
it's the reason I have not started.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Contract Farming In Niger State by uboma(m): 5:37am On Jun 19, 2020
emmaodet:

Bro, pls don't look at the yield rate alone or the pros that attracted you, please look at the cons too.
GMO is really destroying a lot of farmers in india and if am right some part of east africa.
Then health wise, it causes cancer etc
Am really scared of that seed bro

Good thinking.

Unfortunately so many persons are only after profit without minding the health implications to the society.

I only blame our institutions for not regulating the market.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thread For Cashew Nuts Traders 2017 Season. / Lets Talk Organic Farming / You Can Earn 700,000 Naira From Cassava Farming Within A Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.