Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,195 members, 7,860,282 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:53 AM

Man Narrates Experience On Witnessing Nigerian Soldiers Brutalizing Civilians - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Man Narrates Experience On Witnessing Nigerian Soldiers Brutalizing Civilians (325 Views)

Man Narrates What Happened After He Was Wrongly Accused At A Bus Stop (Vid) / Man Narrates Experience At Bank Before Gaining Entry / Nigerian Soldiers Kill Hyena. See Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Narrates Experience On Witnessing Nigerian Soldiers Brutalizing Civilians by iamyemiakins(m): 1:10am On Jun 20, 2020
I have heard stories and seen GORY pictures of Nigerian soldiers brutalize civilians on the internet and I have always prayed never to witness it.

Unfortunately I did. On my way back from work two days ago. Wednesday precisely. At about 5:45pm. On the Mainland. Somewhere around DOYIN bus stop. Along the road Orile - Mile 2 expressway. It was the most horrible and pathetic sight I have beheld since the beginning of the year.

I saw a soldier, a lance corporal at that, not less than or more than 25years of age, ORDER two elderly men; a commercial bus driver and his conductor to swim inside the black colored, very dirty flood which was caused by the heavy downpour earlier in the day and has surrounded the area.

These two men in their late 40s/early 50s knelt down, held the soldier by his trouser and begged him tirelessly for forgiveness. They wept like babies to be set free. They called on the large crowd who had at this time gathered to find out what their offense was but no one dared to question the soldier or even say a word to him for fear of being dragged into a mess they had no idea about. All they could do was murmur in silence and hush tones with sad and pitiful faces. For both men, it was a hopeless case. Their plea fell on deaf ears as the mean-looking, power-intoxicated soldier maintained his ground to see these two men carry out his order to the latter.

At this point, I wished there was something I could do. Like I practically, almost wanted to alight from my car to accost him. He needed some orientation and I was willing to go give him that -- Whatever your position, you shouldn't treat humans this way! But then I remembered this Lagos. You don't just park your car in the middle of a traffic jam and leave just like that no matter how genuine your reasons for doing so are. Lastma no wan hear super story. Las las, 20k must drop. Or worse still, boys wey get highway go help you arrange some of things wey dey inside the car well.

To be honest, I do not know what both men may have done to this said soldier to trigger that beastly, barbaric action of inflicting such inhumane punishment on them, but the truth is, at that point of seeing these helpless men struggle to catch their breath and survive in that gutter water; as long as it wasn't a case of rape, murder or any event that led to endangering human life, I cared less what they did and nothing anyone says to me can justify his action. For me, it was clear case of show-off. This kind of act does not come with an intention to correct. Never. To humiliate men old enough to father your father in the most disgusting and demeaning manner is ABSOLUTELY NOT a good way to right their wrongs if at all they did him wrong. After all, them no kill person na. So why try to kill them? Why make them go through such traumatic experience of swimming in that disgusting flood?

There are many like this young soldier who still walk freely on our streets and neighborhood, intimidating and victimizing innocent Nigerians. They know people are scared of them. Or no, their uniforms in particular. It is a symbol of power and authority. The only thing Nigerians fear is fear... and unfortunately, that is what the military uniform represents. So these soldiers wear these uniforms to take advantage of their fears and feast on them. If only they can channel even half of this same energy they use in brutalizing helpless citizens in fighting boko haram, I am very sure by now Nigeria would have been a safer and peaceful place.

So if ever you see me standing naked at any T-Junction with calabash in my hand, I am not a ritualist. I am not mad. I am only trying to swear for that soldier. Same soldier who left his home training at the barracks before harassing those men.

That whoever you are, whatever you think you've got, wherever you may, whenever your life ends here on earth; For trading your conscience for power, you will not make heaven. And even if you steal my ID Card to enter, you still won't see God.

You are placed in a position of authority to guard and protect our lives not put us at risk of losing it. You are meant to give us comfort, not make our lives more difficult. We are to cry to you for help and it is your responsibility to wipe our tears and not be the ones to make us cry in the first place. We entrust our hopes in you.

This is not an outright condemnation of all the Nigerian soldiers. This is me using my voice for those who have lost their voice to fear and the uncertainty that this little courage of mine may bring for speaking up to say WE ARE TIRED OF THE NIGERIAN SOLDIERS BRUTALITY ON CIVILIANS. Most importantly, this is a wake up call on all the military bodies at the hem of affairs to monitor the activities of these men, properly investigate issues like this when it arises and punish those found guilty. This will help curb their excesses.
I know there are still a few good ones out there. Funny enough, it is those soldiers without ranks who are 97% guilty of this. Those ones wey be say na only go them dey hear, them no dey hear come. Awon recruit. Na them. I have friends who are in the military and in top positions and they don't victimize people.

Make I stop here before e go be like say I don talk too much... but before I drop my pen, let me sincerely add that:

To every Nigerian soldier who discharge their duties diligently with genuine intention to promote peace and maintain order.

To every Nigerian soldier who will never oppress the helpless to exercise power.

To every Nigerian soldier who consistently show they still have a deep sense of loving concern and empathy for human lives in their heart by their actions.

It is to you I say this.

We see you. We love you. We are proud of you. And we say, well done.

Cartha Luthaking (Facebook).

https://www.facebook.com/100000997037251/posts/3216522238390979/?app=fbl

Re: Man Narrates Experience On Witnessing Nigerian Soldiers Brutalizing Civilians by iamyemiakins(m): 1:14am On Jun 20, 2020
Really saddening sad
Re: Man Narrates Experience On Witnessing Nigerian Soldiers Brutalizing Civilians by iamyemiakins(m): 1:15am On Jun 20, 2020
Only God knows what they've done to deserve such torture angry

(1) (Reply)

See Week 1 2020 UK Pool Results, Games, EKO, LKO / Newsbreak: NBA Splits Into Two As Core North Forms New Faction / My P And U

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.