Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,870 members, 7,813,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Insights On Storage Business - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Insights On Storage Business (2753 Views)

Palm Oil Storage Business Investment (buying & Selling) In Nigeria. / Egusi Storage Business : Before You Invest Kindly Take Note ! / The Hidden Profit In Storage Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 6:46am On Jun 20, 2020
I have been involved in yam trading for a while, about four years now but I got to confirm a trend just this year.
Last month, I met an older man whose major businesses involved storage of produce. He buys when prices are low during harvest and sells when supply gets reduced. He's well to do and I expected to hear a lot from him during our conversation. He was very factual about the business and noted [/b]you needed good money, great supply and demand networks as well as good storage facilities to run the business.[b] He buys majorly groundnut, soybeans, paddy rice and yams.
Returns on investment on these produce seems to be the trickiest. On grains, he said returns are not always the same every year but the least he has made over the years have been between 10-15% and there were times he made close to 200% but it takes between 6 and 8 months to store those produce.
However,he was very optimistic on yams but noted he doesn't buy it so much because he produces a lot from his farm. Yams he noted could give minimum of 50% ROI yearly although it depends majorly on size and the period of buying and it takes 5-6 months to store. However, [/b]yams could spoil during storage if not properly stored and even if it was properly stored, some would still spoil.[b] So, with him, one needed to buy 10% of the number of yams you plan to store to replace the spoilt ones during sales, sounds like a good idea. He's very right about the yams, the one I buy for 30k around March are now being sold for over 40k.
I learnt a lot from this man and I'm hoping another season comes. You can take some lessons from this and apply the coming season as well.
Re: Insights On Storage Business by emmaodet: 10:44am On Jun 20, 2020
hoyze24:
I have been involved in yam trading for a while, about four years now but I got to confirm a trend just this year.
Last month, I met an older man whose major businesses involved storage of produce. He buys when prices are low during harvest and sells when supply gets reduced. He's well to do and I expected to hear a lot from him during our conversation. He was very factual about the business and noted [/b]you needed good money, great supply and demand networks as well as good storage facilities to run the business.[b] He buys majorly groundnut, soybeans, paddy rice and yams.
Returns on investment on these produce seems to be the trickiest. On grains, he said returns are not always the same every year but the least he has made over the years have been between 10-15% and there were times he made close to 200% but it takes between 6 and 8 months to store those produce.
However,he was very optimistic on yams but noted he doesn't buy it so much because he produces a lot from his farm. Yams he noted could give minimum of 50% ROI yearly although it depends majorly on size and the period of buying and it takes 5-6 months to store. However, [/b]yams could spoil during storage if not properly stored and even if it was properly stored, some would still spoil.[b] So, with him, one needed to buy 10% of the number of yams you plan to store to replace the spoilt ones during sales, sounds like a good idea. He's very right about the yams, the one I buy for 30k around March are now being sold for over 40k.
I learnt a lot from this man and I'm hoping another season comes. You can take some lessons from this and apply the coming season as well.

So how do we get to meet you for this business?

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 9:40pm On Jun 20, 2020
emmaodet:

So how do we get to meet you for this business?
I haven't done storage before, only into yam trading. Storage will be for the upcoming season.

2 Likes

Re: Insights On Storage Business by emmaodet: 9:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
hoyze24:

I haven't done storage before, only into yam trading. Storage will be for the upcoming season.

Ok.

How can we connect?
Re: Insights On Storage Business by Sunday66: 10:38pm On Jun 20, 2020
hoyze24:

Please can you tell us more about the yam trading.Thanks
Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 2:24am On Jun 21, 2020
emmaodet:

Ok.

How can we connect?
Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 2:25am On Jun 21, 2020
Sunday66:

Please can you tell us more about the yam trading.Thanks
Check my posts, I've written about it severally.

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by emmaodet: 6:45am On Jun 21, 2020
hoyze24:

Ok. Thanks
Will call you
Re: Insights On Storage Business by shariff84: 7:50am On Jun 21, 2020
Iam in the north,Niger state to be precise. Storage business is not always easy and profitable as most people think.yes its true yam used to be cheaper during harvest and expensive during scarcity period.there is gain but not as much as some of us expect and the risky is too much because it get spoil easily. Agusi that used to be expensive up to 30k per bag now is 6-8k per bag unpleed one.and beans for the fast two years the price is down while maize and sorghum that is cheaper last two years now the price is more than double! 15-16k per bag.in a nutshell, any one that want to invest in storage business should know you can gain and you can also lost! Yes lost.
Re: Insights On Storage Business by emmaodet: 12:13pm On Jun 21, 2020
shariff84:
Iam in the north,Niger state to be precise. Storage business is not always easy and profitable as most people think.yes its true yam used to be cheaper during harvest and expensive during scarcity period.there is gain but not as much as some of us expect and the risky is too much because it get spoil easily. Agusi that used to be expensive up to 30k per bag now is 6-8k per bag unpleed one.and beans for the fast two years the price is down while maize and sorghum that is cheaper last two years now the price is more than double! 15-16k per bag.in a nutshell, any one that want to invest in storage business should know you can gain and you can also lost! Yes lost.

Bro, which part of niger state are you? What is the price of groundnuts at your side?
Re: Insights On Storage Business by shariff84: 12:35pm On Jun 21, 2020
emmaodet:

Bro, which part of niger state are you? What is the price of groundnuts at your side?
iam in kontagora,groundnut is no go area now because the price is too high due to planting.java peanut(light red)700 per mudu,java bold 600 per mudu and Kampala is 550 per mudu. That's the last for all of them now

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by emmaodet: 12:51pm On Jun 21, 2020
shariff84:
iam in kontagora,groundnut is no go area now because the price is too high due to planting.java peanut(light red)700 per mudu,java bold 600 per mudu and Kampala is 550 per mudu. That's the last for all of them now

Waoooo. I think you will be a good contact for me at kontangora.
I am planting 20 hectares of groundnut at magama presently and to be harvested September ending.
Pls can i have your number? Want you to help me get Dan commission at kontangora loading trailers from kontangora to Abeokuta and the cost of carrying 1 bag (unshelled groundnuts)

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by shariff84: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2020
emmaodet:

Waoooo. I think you will be a good contact for me at kontangora.
I am planting 20 hectares of groundnut at magama presently and to be harvested September ending.
Pls can i have your number? Want you to help me get Dan commission at kontangora loading trailers from kontangora to Abeokuta and the cost of carrying 1 bag (unshelled groundnuts)
Re: Insights On Storage Business by coputa(m): 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2020
You invested 30k in a business in march,then in june,after 3 months you made a paltry 10k profit and you said that is a good business.It's a biz for retirees and not for a young entrepreneur.

2 Likes

Re: Insights On Storage Business by emmaodet: 6:44pm On Jun 21, 2020
shariff84:

Ok, thanks

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 8:33pm On Jun 21, 2020
coputa:
You invested 30k in a business in march,then in june,after 3 months you made a paltry 10k profit and you said that is a good business.It's a biz for retirees and not for a young entrepreneur.
You call 33% profit little? Well, it's probably due to the capital you feel you have. Someone who got that profit on 1 billion wouldn't say the same.

2 Likes

Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 8:39pm On Jun 21, 2020
shariff84:
Yams get spoilt no doubt but you should also understand farmers harvest their yams latest by February. The yams you get in June and July are the ones that had been harvested since then. It boils down to ways of storage, there will definitely be spoilt yams and one can make plans for that probably between 10-15% could get spoilt.
It's a good business for me, would rather do yams than grains.

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 8:45pm On Jun 21, 2020
Getting profit of a 100% is something I wouldn't think of. My max would be between 30 and 50% and that should take between 5 to 6 months.
There's a lot about yams storage many might not understand. For me, it is majorly about size and variety. Price of some sizes increase better than others. I'm into Benue yams though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insights On Storage Business by coputa(m): 8:46pm On Jun 21, 2020
hoyze24:

You call 33% profit little? Well, it's probably due to the capital you feel you have. Someone who got that profit on 1 billion wouldn't say the same.
33% profit in three months translate to 11% in a month i.e #3,350 in a month.for 30k investment,by the time we deduct running cost :transportation and others,your projected profit wilk drop. If i retail pure water with that amount,i will get more than 100% ROI in one month.
Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 8:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
coputa:
33% profit in three months translate to 11% in a month i.e #3,350 in a month.by the time we deduct running cost :transportation and others,your projected profit wilk drop. If i retail pure water with that amount,i will get more than 100% ROI in one month.
Guess everyone has to retail pure water to get rich. You will probably be very surprised at why people buy treasury bills especially that of 91 days.

2 Likes

Re: Insights On Storage Business by coputa(m): 9:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
hoyze24:

Guess everyone has to retail pure water to get rich. You will probably be very surprised at why people buy treasury bills especially that of 91 days.
everyone cannot sell pure,but i am just giving you an some instances,in business one have to maximise his/her profit,You do not buy treasury bills with small amount of money,the interest is small,but after buying many units which runs into millions/billions of naira,your return will be worthwhile,thats why retirees who has accumulated a lot of idle funds and financial institution buy it,you cannot buy treasury bill4 with 30k

1 Like

Re: Insights On Storage Business by hoyze24: 9:17pm On Jun 21, 2020
coputa:
everyone cannot sell pure,but i am just giving you an some instances,in business one have to maximise his/her profit,You do not buy treasury bills with small amount of money,the interest is small,but after buying many units which runs into millions/billions of naira,your return will be worthwhile,thats why retirees who has accumulated a lot of idle funds and financial institution buy it,you cannot buy treasury bill4 with 30k
When individuals talk about investment, the money used is majorly from savings. It's not the what keeps one's daily lifestyle running, there are other funds for that. People wouldn't mind how small the returns on investment is, the most important part is security of their funds.i didn't tell people to do into storage, only shared an insight I got from someone who has been into it. It's up to individuals to decide if they want to go into it or not.
Also, not only retirees invest, lots of youths do that these days and it doesn't have to be in millions or Billions, use whichever fund you have.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

WATCH VIDEO: How To Source Buyers Of Agro For Free / What Are The Yoruba Name For The Following Agro Products. / (#Nationalflooddisaterreliefsales) CassavahubNG:Hybrid Cassava Stems Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.