Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,223 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

PTSD Experience - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / PTSD Experience (536 Views)

I Am Suffering From A PTSD / Help! My Girlfriend PTSD Might Ruin Our Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PTSD Experience by davidhandsome: 7:02pm On Jun 20, 2020
Growing up, i first heard the word PTSD(post traumatic stress disorder) in American military movies and all...
But that term always sounded funny, even the idea of ptsd looked absurd to me...

I wondered how a soldier could suffer a thing as this just by going to war and fighting. I couldn't just create a logical connection between the soldier's battle experience and his ptsd syndrome in those movies.

But my reasoning changed when i had an encounter with the Nigeria police force or SARS as we all know them as.

On this fateful day, i accompanied a friend of mine to buy his new phone.
We had earlier met a seller here on Nairaland selling the phone (second hand).
We met at a popular junction and just as we were inspecting the phone, from nowhere, 3-5 fierce looking men just gripped my hands with that of my friend, including the seller and instantly directed us to a bus.

The intense fear that gripped me ehn, i just cannot explain. In as much as i was afraid, everything still looked like a movie.
I mean, i have been hearing about this sarz thing, but i never imagined it could happen to me..

With fear in my heart, we entered the bus, i was able gain my composure back after 2mins or so...
They asked for my phone ( meanwhile, i was still holding the phone of the seller, coz i was testing it when they grabbed us), i gave them my phone. They check my mail and WhatsApp an found nothing, they asked for my i.d card, i produced it..
They saw it was intact.

Then they asked about the seller phone, i told them i and my friend were inspecting the phone for purchase when they grabbed us..

They said itz a lie, that we are buying stolen phone. ( I think they myt have actually allowed my friend and i go, if not for the seller phone with me).

As i tried explaining how i met the seller here on on Nairaland they shut me up and even threatened to shoot us. The fear came back again.

That's how they bundled us into the bus o..and told the driver to head to station..

At that point my head was spinning, i felt caged, it was a very scary feeling...i felt my freedom taken from me...

In the bus, they started telling us how we were buying a stolen phone(phone that we haven't paid for o).
Saying it is a very criminal offence to buy a second hand phone. Hearing this, the fear in me trippled...
I then resorted to pleading, even my friend was already crying..
They scared us more by telling us the big amount of money our parents would pay for bail..

We drove for over 45mins, and as we were about getting to the station, they asked for bribe...
Mind you, i was happy to hear this, i didn't want to enter the station at all.
There, we negotiated and eventually sorted them out.

Bt since then, the fear i felt that day has been living with me, when i see a policeman or hear a siren.
It is like I'm relieving the experience again...
The first week after the incidence was torture...i couldn't get that fearful feeling off my mind..

Right now, i have been able to relate better with the PTSD experience soldiers experience.

Even going out now seem difficult...i always imagine them stopping me again and relieving the whole fearful experience again...

I hope it gets better..maybe later in life, i would go see a psychologist...

Maybe sharing this would actually make me feel better, i do not know...

2 Likes

Re: PTSD Experience by Baiser(m): 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2020
Sorry. Those sarz guys suck
Re: PTSD Experience by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 20, 2020
Well my experience was very different.... I pretended to be calm but the fear dey dere..... I did not say much... I only spoke when spoken to..... I gave them my parents number to arrange the bail as i was broke... No resistance no pressure... They even checked my account sef they no see anything i had like 65naira.... Yes prison no be place but man no get choice...
Re: PTSD Experience by davidhandsome: 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
thariodamaniac:
Well my experience was very different.... I pretended to be calm but the fear dey dere..... I did not say much... I only spoke when spoken to..... I gave them my parents number to arrange the bail as i was broke... No resistance no pressure... They even checked my account sef they no see anything i had like 65naira.... Yes prison no be place but man no get choice...
Hmm, it was not funny for me o...
What made it worse was when they said they were taking us to station...
Me that have never entered station in my life before...
Re: PTSD Experience by Mindlog: 9:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
davidhandsome:

You are very right with recognizing what you are experiencing is PTSD. Continue to talk about it as it will help you make sense of what has happened.
Re: PTSD Experience by shestrong(f): 9:10pm On Jun 20, 2020
davidhandsome:
Growing up, i first heard the word PTSD(post traumatic stress disorder) in American military movies and all...
But that term always sounded funny, even the idea of ptsd looked absurd to me...

I wondered how a soldier could suffer a thing as this just by going to war and fighting. I couldn't just create a logical connection between the soldier's battle experience and his ptsd syndrome in those movies.

But my reasoning changed when i had an encounter with the Nigeria police force or SARS as we all know them as.

On this fateful day, i accompanied a friend of mine to buy his new phone.
We had earlier met a seller here on Nairaland selling the phone (second hand).
We met at a popular junction and just as we were inspecting the phone, from nowhere, 3-5 fierce looking men just gripped my hands with that of my friend, including the seller and instantly directed us to a bus.

The intense fear that gripped me ehn, i just cannot explain. In as much as i was afraid, everything still looked like a movie.
I mean, i have been hearing about this sarz thing, but i never imagined it could happen to me..

With fear in my heart, we entered the bus, i was able gain my composure back after 2mins or so...
They asked for my phone ( meanwhile, i was still holding the phone of the seller, coz i was testing it when they grabbed us), i gave them my phone. They check my mail and WhatsApp an found nothing, they asked for my i.d card, i produced it..
They saw it was intact.

Then they asked about the seller phone, i told them i and my friend were inspecting the phone for purchase when they grabbed us..

They said itz a lie, that we are buying stolen phone. ( I think they myt have actually allowed my friend and i go, if not for the seller phone with me).

As i tried explaining how i met the seller here on on Nairaland they shut me up and even threatened to shoot us. The fear came back again.

That's how they bundled us into the bus o..and told the driver to head to station..

At that point my head was spinning, i felt caged, it was a very scary feeling...i felt my freedom taken from me...

In the bus, they started telling us how we were buying a stolen phone(phone that we haven't paid for o).
Saying it is a very criminal offence to buy a second hand phone. Hearing this, the fear in me trippled...
I then resorted to pleading, even my friend was already crying..
They scared us more by telling us the big amount of money our parents would pay for bail..

We drove for over 45mins, and as we were about getting to the station, they asked for bribe...
Mind you, i was happy to hear this, i didn't want to enter the station at all.
There, we negotiated and eventually sorted them out.

Bt since then, the fear i felt that day has been living with me, when i see a policeman or hear a siren.
It is like I'm relieving the experience again...
The first week after the incidence was torture...i couldn't get that fearful feeling off my mind..

Right now, i have been able to relate better with the PTSD experience soldiers experience.

Even going out now seem difficult...i always imagine them stopping me again and relieving the whole fearful experience again...

I hope it gets better..maybe later in life, i would go see a psychologist...

Maybe sharing this would actually make me feel better, i do not know...
Hello poster, sorry about what u are going through. You should see a behavioural scientist in any of the government hospitals around you or call MENTALLY AWARE NIGERIA INITIATIVE(MANI) 0809 111 6264, We can help you.
Re: PTSD Experience by davidhandsome: 9:16pm On Jun 20, 2020
shestrong:

Hello poster, sorry about what u are going through. You should see a behavioural scientist in any of the government hospitals around you or call MENTALLY AWARE NIGERIA INITIATIVE(MANI) 0809 111 6264, We can help you.
Ok ma..thanks
Re: PTSD Experience by Nobody: 1:18am On Jun 21, 2020
shestrong:

That's my girl wink
Re: PTSD Experience by Foodqueen(f): 2:29am On Jun 21, 2020
That guy that wanted to sell the phone to u planned it all.

U should let people know him, so others won't fall prey.

Them plenty like that for ikeja.

Sorry for whatever u are going thru
Re: PTSD Experience by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 21, 2020
davidhandsome:

na scare tactics them sabi use.... And if you show that you are afraid you don enter.... Just in case of next time even if na EFCC hold you just cooperate so you wont have issues.... When its time to negotiate tell them you have to make a call first.... Well it depends on the situation and also make sure you dont stay more dan 48hrs in custody befor them harvest ur body parts for sale...
Re: PTSD Experience by davidhandsome: 11:26pm On Jun 21, 2020
thariodamaniac:

na scare tactics them sabi use.... And if you show that you are afraid you don enter.... Just in case of next time even if na EFCC hold you just cooperate so you wont have issues.... When its time to negotiate tell them you have to make a call first.... Well it depends on the situation and also make sure you dont stay more dan 48hrs in custody befor them harvest ur body parts for sale...
Thanks for the advice sir

1 Like

Re: PTSD Experience by Nobody: 3:02am On Jun 22, 2020
Your friend that started crying is he a man or a woman? I dislike weak people.
Re: PTSD Experience by davidhandsome: 8:28am On Jun 22, 2020
Nooil:
Your friend that started crying is he a man or a woman? I dislike weak people.
Lol...bt i really could not blame him... considering his upbringing and level of exposure...

(1) (Reply)

Sad! Building Collapses In Owerri With Woman And Two Kids Inside (photos, Video) / Boy Putting Nail On People's Tyre Caught / Fresh UTC Tomatoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.