Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,428 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? (1200 Views)

Please Advise. Her Mouth Is Always Opened / What Has The Lockdown Opened Your Eyes To? / Man Stops Paying Daughter's School Fee After She Told Him To Wash Plates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by ndidibabe(f): 7:39pm On Jun 20, 2020
I have been getting SMS from my Kids' school asking me to pay for their school fees.

While I appreciate that the school have been engaging these kids on Whatsapp and I also understand that payment of Teachers salary might be very difficult at this time, I think private schools generally should be reasonable enough to come up with a realistic and considerate payment plan for just the online session at least for this period.

Asking Parents to pay for full tution is somehow ridiculous. What if the government decides to even cancel the remaining term of this session? What if schools do not resume this year?
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by matrix199(m): 8:14pm On Jun 20, 2020
ndidibabe:
I have been getting SMS from my Kids' school asking me to pay for their school fees.

While I appreciate that the school have been engaging these kids on Whatsapp and I also understand that payment of Teachers salary might be very difficult at this time, I think private schools generally should be reasonable enough to come up with a realistic and considerate payment plan for just the online session at least for this period.

Asking Parents to pay for full tution is somehow ridiculous. What if the government decides to even cancel the remaining term of this session? What if schools do not resume this year?

It's utterly wrong for schools to ask parents to pay for 3rd term school fee when actually schools have not reopened. The PTA trust fund should be harnessed by the PTA Excos, to help alleviate the hardship on teachers.

3 Likes

Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
Whilst it seems unfair, these schools are running a business and there are bills to pay. I don't like the idea myself but we must realise that the teachers doing online lessons work very hard and deserve to receive full salary.
The major overhead that may not be used much is the generator cost. The rent needs to be paid, bank loan etc also need to be paid.
We should support the schools in this trying times if we can, especially if they've done a good job over the years in transforming our kids into bright young minds.
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by jidamsel43(m): 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2020
Government has warned schools not to demand third term fees from parents . Government has also warned schools that they shouldn't commence third term yet.

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by bukatyne(f): 9:15pm On Jun 20, 2020
jidamsel43:
Government has warned schools not to demand third term fees from parents . Government has also warned schools that they shouldn't commence third term yet.

Let's leave Govt out of it.

Our Govt give directives without the strategy to execute.

The PTA should sit and reach a compromise.

Bills especially salaries of teachers need to be paid.

8 Likes

Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by ndidibabe(f): 9:16pm On Jun 20, 2020
matrix199:

It's utterly wrong to for schools to ask parents to pay for 3rd term school fee when actually schools have not reopened. The PTA trust fund should be harnessed by the PTA Excos, to help alleviate the hardship on teachers.
Well said.
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by matrix199(m): 10:25pm On Jun 20, 2020
Sadly, education will never be the same again in Nigeria. Many of the teachers, particularly the private school teachers, have been neglected, left to their fate. How they get to survive the economic hardship is not the concern of the government. The government does not value education in Nigeria, nor value the future builders(teachers). The government either asks but doesn't give a heck, or doesn't even ask how these private school teachers fare now that their means of livelihood have been closed since March?

Nothing is more confused than a government who chooses to proscribe people living in the rural areas as 'vulnerable', deeming them first in line to receive the unconditional money as palliative, forgetting a particular work of life who directly or indirectly shape the nation.

When this is over, many teachers won't give their best anymore because they've been demoralised, and that would lead to decadence in the education sector.

The government should quickly prioritise the welfare of private school teachers, to salvage the situation.

2 Likes

Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by egopersonified(f): 6:06am On Jun 21, 2020
I think asking parents to pay 25% of third term school fees for online classes solely to pay salaries is fair. Meaning you pay 75% at resumption.
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by trendyprettygir: 11:05am On Jun 21, 2020
Nigerians are very disobedient.

Why resuming 3rd term when the government has clearly given a mandate?

The private schools are greedy. Why requesting for third term fees, when you know 3rd term has really not resumed? Do you really think these schools will fully pay their teachers who are teaching from home?

Parents are not helping matters, ensure the school does not resume third term but focuses on continuous learning until schools fully kick off. These learning services can be provided for a token and not the entire fees.

For me, the ideal thing is hiring a private tutor and following recommended guidelines and protocols. Nigerian private school owners are greedy. A lot of them are owing teachers for months and yet still want to collect new fees. Mtchew!
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by Houseofglam7(f): 11:18am On Jun 21, 2020
I totally do feel sorry for teachers these times cry
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by matrix199(m): 12:45pm On Jun 21, 2020
trendyprettygir:

Nigerians are very disobedient.

Why resuming 3rd term when the government has clearly given a mandate?

The private schools are greedy. Why requesting for third term fees, when you know 3rd term has really not resumed? Do you really think these schools will fully pay their teachers who are teaching from home?

Parents are not helping matters, ensure the school does not resume third term but focuses on continuous learning until schools fully kick off. These learning services can be provided for a token and not the entire fees.

For me, the ideal thing is hiring a private tutor and following recommended guidelines and protocols. Nigerian private school owners are greedy. A lot of them are owing teachers for months and yet still want to collect new fees. Mtchew!

Not every parent can afford a private tutor. And I do agree, many of the private school owners are greedy, insensitive, modern day slave merchants, and callous. But there are some with a heart of gold.
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by Glink2018(m): 1:22pm On Jun 21, 2020
Some of the schools will go on bankrupt because some of them took a loan
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by SideIncome(m): 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2020
Times are hard and its general. Both on parent and for the school. Courtesy demands that they ask parent to pay 40% upfront so as to cover for all the data and payment of teachers while 60% when the school resumes. Its also good enough that all parent take up a side income at this hour so as to save the day...
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by zedegit: 5:46pm On Jun 21, 2020
egopersonified:
I think asking parents to pay 25% of third term school fees for online classes solely to pay salaries is fair. Meaning you pay 75% at resumption.

What if third term is cancelled? This is June ending, opening for third term in July when it should be rounding up implies third term overlapping with first term.

Besides government's body language is not encouraging.
Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by Kogbaski: 6:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
If they children are being engaged in a form of learning online since they can't go to schools now I think it's fair the education is paid for, and that would be way easier since you can Bank-On-The-Go with GT Bank Mobile Wallet and enjoy stress free, safe and convenient banking straight from your mobile phone.

Nevertheless the amount being paid for such should be a totally agreeable amount between parents and school.

5 Likes

Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by ADUKKY(f): 6:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
My children school asked us to pay minimum of 10k per child per month with agreement that whatever is paid this period will be deducted from the fee anytime school resumes either for 3rd term or another session. According to the proprietress, it is to support the school in paying the teachers. The school has been engaging the children through WhatsApp though, which can be termed free since what we pay now is part of next term's school fee.
I commend her understanding because even I was bothered how she will keep paying the teachers who are still working.
No one planned for this, hence both parents and the school must make compromises to survive this season.

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Third Term Fee When Schools Have Not Been Opened? by egopersonified(f): 6:17pm On Jun 21, 2020
zedegit:

What if third term is cancelled? This is June ending, opening for third term in July when it should be rounding up implies third term overlapping with first term.

Besides government's body language is not encouraging.

I get your point. I don't know if it's possible to just cancel 3rd term. That means they won't cover the syllabus. I don't think it's possible to promote students when they haven't finished the work load just because of time. If I remember correctly, 1st term used to start in January some years back but was rescheduled to September. We can as well resume 1st term in January 2021, as long as it's the same school calender that will be applied all over the country.

(1) (Reply)

Sex Is Not A One Way Traffic. Experiment Different Positions: Pst Funke Adejumo / Letter To Parents From A Singaporean Principal (A Must Read) / My Nieces Are Feeling Bored.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.