Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning (22588 Views)

Nigeria: Youths Appetite For Drug Abuse Growing – Dr Otorkpa / Why Are Weeds And Other Hard Drugs Illegal While Cigarette Remains Legal? / Dr Chinenye Otorkpa, Federal Medical Center Lokoja's First Home Grown Fellow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by PublicHealthNig: 11:44am On Jun 21, 2020
Place cigarette-like hazard warning on all betting sites, Oche Otorkpa tells FG

The Executive Director of Public Health Nigeria, Dr. Oche Otorkpa, has called on the Federal Government and its agencies, including the Federal Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Youth and Sports to, as a matter of urgency, consider the compulsory placement of public health warning labels similar to those on cigarette packs on all sports betting (online and offline) and gaming business websites in Nigeria and a compulsory sign-off for all online betters stating they understand the potential long term effects that gambling could have on their lives and the lives of their families.

The public health practitioner warned that online betting addiction has escalated the mental health crisis in Nigeria, destroying lives and livelihoods, wreaking businesses and tearing families apart. The crisis according to him, is such that addicted parents rather play bet than pay school fees, leaving their children uneducated, malnourished and vulnerable.

According to him, “today, it is not unusual to run into students of secondary and higher institutions who are begging on the streets because they used their school fees or tuition to play sports betting. The irony of this scheme is that while the promoters of these sports betting (online and offline) and gaming business sites smile to the bank, such cannot be said of their customers who slide deeper into penury, poverty and hopelessness.

According to statistics, about 60 million Nigerians between the ages of 18 and 40 are involved in active sports betting. On average, these punters spend roughly ₦3,000 Naira every day on bets. Almost N2 billion is spent on sports betting daily in Nigeria, which translates to nearly N730 billion in a year. The get-rich-quick syndrome has exacerbated the gambling epidemic in the country, forcing many young people to think of short cuts to success. “Gambling addiction leads to other serious effects, including loss of jobs, failed relationships, and severe debt.

Effects of gambling is often associated with mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, and mood disorders. “Studies have also shown that the warning label on cigarettes introduced by the US Government in 1965, which mandated that cigarette packaging include a warning that smoking cigarettes may be hazardous to health, significantly improved health indicators while smoking rates have dropped dramatically in the United States,” he said.

https://www.publichealth.com.ng/betting-addiction-and-the-mental-health-crisis-in-nigeria/

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by yomi96(m): 11:52am On Jun 21, 2020
Who be this efulefu? Who complain give u. I sabi plenty people wey don make am from betting.Mind your biz dr. Busy body na hin dey worry you.

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by anibi9674: 12:08pm On Jun 21, 2020
Betting can cause depression. I remember the day I pack about 30 5min draw come stake 1k nai useless morata go score stock city within 2 min. The kind depression I enter that day I know no when I curse morata say en career for Chelsea go die.

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by FlordFlorez(m): 12:34pm On Jun 21, 2020
Lolz! Over to u bet9ja fans.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by johnmartus(m): 12:42pm On Jun 21, 2020
No government agency should talk about people business. Which company the bastard build.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by sirblend: 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
Build more industries.
Provide electricity.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
Slawormir proeast GBOKASINCHA Iceberg3 wunt like this... All those guys are Heavy duty smokers gringringringrin

Shout out to childofdoom

3 Likes

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by philip0906(m): 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
Nonsense! Betting is for 18+ and Nigeria is NOT the only country where people gamble or bet. There are regulations around it in the country, both at the federal & state levels.

They should channel that energy of placing a hazard warning on politicians, looters & government bandits.

Ediots!

100 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by salbis(m): 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
One of the most useless suggestions i have heard this 2020. Advise your useless government to alleviate the suffering of the teeming youths in the country.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by majamajic(m): 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
It's there
The warnings are there
We are aware of it
We are gambling responsibly

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Yankee101: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Should be banned in Nigeria

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by YorubaKinging: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Satan is an unfortunate being

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Haha
The federal ministry of finance and budget planning warns that betters(gamblers) are liable to die broke. grin

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by rowland545(m): 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Oluwa bless my hustle make my ticket enter....

Wat do u expect when der is hunger in the land...besides betting always warn that u should bet with money u can loose...that's wat bet responsibly stands for.

People should be encourage to bet with money they can afford to loose... That was how a guy came with 20k to play visual last night...he lost 12k inside ...he was on the verge on collapsing when he now played....4-6 goals ...and he won 11k instantly with 200 naira...nah der I see the trough meaning of happiness... He was so happy ...we adviced him to save face and run with this one instead of loosing everything...

The truth is if u don't play with sense...betting fit send u go village...especially visual...fear that thing its kills

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by adewumiopeyemi(m): 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Provide job for the youth
Most people are surviving through betting because there is no job
And greedyness lead some people to depression in betting
Before we abide with the rules
Provide job for the youth
People are suffering and dieing everyday

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by pyyxxaro: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
They won’t still hear

I know a Popular Pastor that is involved in the betting self

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by BCYemz(m): 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Bigcityyemz on instagram for your surest odds ��
Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by MANNABBQGRlLL: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Has the warning sign on the cigarette pack reduced smoking?

Smokers don't even see that thing

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Legalcriminal: 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
He should have include

“Punters are liable to die young”

Dem go still rush play am same way dem dey rush smoke without checking what dem write for the pack

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by SmartProf(m): 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2020
People engage in betting for different reasons best known to them, but just as in recent times some Nigerians have asked if other Nigerians know of anyone that have died of Covid 19 around them, I will also wish to know if there is anyone who has climbed up the very successful ladder of wealth and settlement just by betting. That should inform all those who don't have other plans to achieve success order than betting to have a rethink

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by majamajic(m): 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2020
Yankee101:
Should be banned in Nigeria

Them force u ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by opalu: 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ok
Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by BlogRabbit: 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2020
Unfortunately this will not work

How about trying to tell the same government to create job opportunities and also try to make people see other means of earning money.

Local man cannot have another idea of #1000 investment other than trying his luck and seeing if bet could smile on him.

Most times people get blessed through bets and most times people do not.

This man is a � clown as far as I know

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Baba1234: 3:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
Are we not all like a bomb waiting to explode??
Everyone has a habit that's has not possessed them yet , but the habit is waiting earnestly for the destruction....if someone warns u abt an habit please listen..

But a typical human being will never listen especially a Nigerian...lollz ..
I nor dey hear word, I nor dey hear word, I nor dey hear word, I nor dey hear word, I nor dey hear word, I nor dey hear word

The word devil dey play for people ear on repeat mode

1 Like

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by DenreleDave(m): 3:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
What will Slawormir do if smoking is now l illegal?

No we will protest this decision... Where are my fellow smokers, let's stage a protest

2 Likes

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Innocentchild(m): 3:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
. . . . .
Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Johnson5258: 3:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
You will be surprised to see even educated people with White collar job betting.

It's only the blessing of God that maketh rich without adding any sorrow.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Betting Epidemic: Oche Otorkpa Charges FG To Place Cigarette Like Hazard Warning by Blacknote: 3:06pm On Jun 21, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? / COVID-19: David Hargett Is Dead! Ben Bruce's Brother In-Law Dies / Man Heartbroken After A Schoolgirl He Rescued, Died In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.