Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,914 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu (1756 Views)

Apple Launches iPhone 15 Pro And iPhone 15 Pro Max (Features & Prices) / Let's See Your Phone Home-screen (screenshot) / Is Your Home Screen Better Than Mine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Johndot: 10:21am On Jun 23, 2020
There is also a new App Library, App Clips, Messaging features, a Translation app and the ability to unlock your car with your phone, too.

During an online-only keynote for Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC), the company launched iOS 14. The new iPhone OS is a follow-up to last year's iOS 13, which initially had a rocky start with numerous software updates at its launch. The preview of iOS 14 includes a major redesign of the iPhone home screen, picture-in-picture video, better widgets, a new way to automatically organize your apps called App Library and a new Siri interface. These features come alongside a new Translation app and the ability to unlock your car with your iPhone.

Main features of the iOS 14 are largely focused on the home screen, the Today View and notifications. Interestingly enough, the very idea of an app is changing. Prior to iOS 14, there were already apps as well as widgets that are based on your installed apps and available on the Today View page. Now, there is a third form called App Clips for when you need the functionality of an app that you don't have.

A developer version of iOS 14 is currently available to download, with a public beta launching in July. A final version of iOS 14 will be released in the fall, likely alongside with the rumored iPhone 12, which will the first new iPhone since the iPhone SE launched in April. iOS 14 runs on the same iPhones that are supported in iOS 13 -- specifically, the iPhone 6S and newer.

iOS 14 App Library makes your iPhone's home screen more manageable

Since it launched in 2007, the iPhone's home screen has largely remained the same aside from aesthetic changes. In iOS 13, organizing and moving apps around can be quite tedious with the way the iPhone forces apps to fill in from the top-left side of the screen.

The App Library in iOS 14 is a new page on the home screen that automatically organizes all of your apps into one view. This is perhaps my personal favorite iOS 14 feature because it gives you several different ways to group and navigate your apps beyond the current magnetic app layout.

Smartly, the App Library bundles your apps into group apps by categorizing them. For example, apps like Facebook and Twitter would be grouped into a folder called social apps. If you're not interested in using the App Library page, you still have access to the current way you have your apps organized. This solution feels like a "have your cake and eat it, too" answer to app organization.

Also worth noting: You will be able to hide pages of apps, which can be nice for grouping those apps that you use infrequently all into one place.

Widgets in iOS 14 can be pinned, resized and stacked

With iOS 14, Apple redesigned widgets currently found in the Today View on iOS 13. Now you can pin widgets on your home screen and resize them to your liking. This is something Android has had for a while, but in a typical Apple twist, iOS 14 can automatically creates a Smart Stack of widgets based on which apps you use frequently and during what time of day. You simply swipe the widget stack to bring different widgets to the top.
The new widget design definitely shows some influence from Apple WatchOS and its complications.

App Clips show a small part of an app for fast functionality

An incredibly well-thought-out addition to iOS 14 is App Clips. Let's say you're in a coffee shop and you want to use the rewards program from the shop's app, but you don't have it installed. Using a QR code or NFC at the shop's register, a square card will pop up on the bottom of the screen (similar to when you have AirPods connected to your phone). The card gives you direct access to functionality chosen by the app's developer. The idea is you don't need to download an entire app to access a feature, especially if it's a one-off kind of use.App Clips don't stay on your home screen and you have access to them for as long as you need them. Even better, App Clips can be connected to A
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Garrywllm: 10:23am On Jun 23, 2020
Wow
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Playermayweda(m): 11:48am On Jun 23, 2020
Android already has all these
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Szkpytqgdcvx925: 12:02pm On Jun 23, 2020
Finally idroid
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by lainwords098(m): 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2020
Playermayweda:
Android already has all these
Not how fast bro.. but how well

1 Like

Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by sunshineV(f): 2:39pm On Jun 23, 2020
lainwords098:

Not how fast bro.. but how well

exactly what an isheep would say

3 Likes

Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by iDROID: 2:52pm On Jun 23, 2020
Szkpytqgdcvx925:
Finally idroid
angry Leave me out of this!
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by nitt: 3:20pm On Jun 23, 2020
sunshineV:

l

grin

savage!

we been had doze specs since our Galaxy S4 days but it's a new world for iphone in 2020.

Talk about reaping off buyers!
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Onyeka90210(m): 5:33pm On Jun 23, 2020
nitt:
l

grin

savage!

we been had doze specs since our Galaxy S4 days but it's a new world for iphone in 2020.

Talk about reaping off buyers!
Nah, Apple are good at perfecting present technology, they take their time, and when they release it it’ll be very smooth(bug free)

I’m yet to find a flagship android phone with a better Face ID scanner.
Before you come at me, I use both OS
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by lainwords098(m): 5:38pm On Jun 23, 2020
sunshineV:

Lol.. bro, forget about the price and prestige that comes with using an iphone. The device is just perfect. I have an android too, 3gig ram, snapdragon 650, great camera, battery etc. When it comes to a performance test or camera test or speed test or multitasking test with my friend that uses an ip6 with 1gig ram, he still beats my android. This mindset of yours will probably never change until you use your 1st iphone. Untill then, keep fooling yourself with lies... cool
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by sunshineV(f): 8:23pm On Jun 23, 2020
lainwords098:

Lol.. bro, forget about the price and prestige that comes with using an iphone. The device is just perfect. I have an android too, 3gig ram, snapdragon 650, great camera, battery etc. When it comes to a performance test or camera test or speed test or multitasking test with my friend that uses an ip6 with 1gig ram, he still beats my android. This mindset of yours will probably never change until you use your 1st iphone. Untill then, keep fooling yourself with lies... cool

2 Likes

Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by sunshineV(f): 8:24pm On Jun 23, 2020
Onyeka90210:

Nah, Apple are good at perfecting present technology, they take their time, and when they release it it’ll be very smooth(bug free)

yeah how about a phone with a fast finger print unlock
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by nitt: 8:31pm On Jun 23, 2020
Onyeka90210:

And i am yet to see any complaint on android tech/apps especially on the premium lines like the Galaxy S series and Huawei P series.

Face ID is a minute reason to buy a phone, especially to a tech savy person.
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Telvin7(m): 8:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
Onyeka90210:

Goggle pixel 4 xl and huaweH mate 30 pro got better 3d face id scanner.
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Ansufati: 8:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
Onyeka90210:

Then you haven't seen Huawei p40 pro, pixel 4 xl and mate 30 pro they both have face id, better than apple face id.
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by padi94(m): 9:09pm On Jun 23, 2020
Seen
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Onyeka90210(m): 9:36pm On Jun 23, 2020
Ansufati:

Then you haven't seen Huawei p40 pro, pixel 4 xl and mate 30 pro they both have face id, better than apple face id.
better in what sense
Telvin7:

Goggle pixel 4 xl and huaweH mate 30 pro got better 3d face id scanner.
Ansufati:

better in what sense
security being priority
an Android phone can be bypassed still
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Onyeka90210(m): 9:42pm On Jun 23, 2020
nitt:

And i am yet to see any complaint on android tech/apps especially on the premium lines like the Galaxy S series and Huawei P series.

Face ID is a minute reason to buy a phone, especially to a tech savy person.
I actually buy the phone cause I like it
and got no complaints
not cause of face ID tho
cause of gaming
the processor on those things are mad
I just commented because I don't see why people are bashing other people's choices
they like the phone and are not complaining
buy whatever makes you happy
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Ansufati: 9:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
Onyeka90210:

better in what sense

better in what sense
security being priority
an Android phone can be bypassed still
Bla bla normally what an apple fanboy. You made no point from your post. If you think your iPhone is secured then you are living in a dilemma
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Onyeka90210(m): 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2020
Ansufati:

Bla bla normally what an apple fanboy. You made no point from your post. If you think your iPhone is secured then you are living in a dilemma
bruh
I no get strength
goodnight
Re: Ios 14 First Take: Apple Launches A New Iphone Home Screen, Siri, Widgets, Pictu by Stevengold(m): 2:08am On Jun 24, 2020
Onyeka90210:

I've use IPhone 7 and iPhone 8 plus, iPhone is a cool phone, but I'm the kinda person that does a lot with a phone, so I go for either an android flagship or a budget friendly android.

Samsung galaxy a10 plus and Huawei mate 20 Pro has one of the best face Id scanner, as a matter of fact I've used the Huawei mate 20 Pro, it has 3D face scanner, it can scan ur face in total darkness. And it's faster than the fingerprint.

(1) (Reply)

Phone Number Verification / MTN Users Can Now Flash With Zero Balance / Pls Who Can Fix MTN Hynetflex Router.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.