Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,493 members, 7,830,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau (349 Views)

Man Plots Fiancée’s Murder Over ₦14 Million Promises Spiritualist ₦5 Million / Oluwatoyin Salau 'Toyin' Found Dead In Florida / George Floyd: Derek Chauvin Charged With Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau by tuoky: 7:13pm On Jun 23, 2020
The bodies of Black Lives Matter activist Oluwatoyin Salau and 75-year-old AARP volunteer Victoria Sims were found on Saturday night in Tallahassee, Florida, and a man has been charged with murder and kidnapping in connection to their deaths, police said.

Tallahassee police said in a statement Tuesday that both the women were found dead at the property of 49-year-old Aaron Glee, Jr. He was arrested in Orlando and is being charged with felony murder and kidnapping with intent to terrorize in connection with the deaths, according to police and county booking records.

Glee had recently been charged with battery in late May after police spotted him allegedly kicking a woman in the abdomen after she denied his proposition for sex, the Tallahassee Democrat reported.

The relationship between 19-year-old Salau and Sims, if one existed, is not immediately clear. Sims was last seen on June 11, and police issued a missing persons report for her two days later. Tallahassee police said that her home had been ransacked and her car was missing.

Salau was last seen on June 6, according to police. On that day, she posted a disturbing thread on Twitter in which she described being molested by a man who offered her a ride and help finding a place to stay. She also wrote that the man offered to bring her to collect her belongings at a church where she had been staying.

“He came disguised as a man of God and ended up picking me up from nearby Saxon Street,” Salau tweeted. “I trusted the holy spirit to keep me safe.”

Police said she reported the incident that same day, but also added that there is currently “no indication that the original battery Salau reported is related to her death. The information and description Salau provided to police and posted on social media prior to her disappearance does not match the person ultimately found to be responsible for her murder.”

USA Today reported that a local homeless shelter said Salau sought help on June 8 and was given phone numbers for assistance; the shelter said it has no record of Salau contacting those numbers.

Who was Oluwatoyin Salau?
People have been mourning the death of Salau, known as “Toyin,” on Twitter with the hashtag #JusticeForToyin. She’s being remembered as an outspoken rising activist at the recent protests against police brutality and an advocate for Black trans lives, including Tony McDade. McDade was a Black trans man who Tallahassee police shot and killed in late May.

“There is no justice that can be served that will replace my sister’s life,” her brother, Oluwaseyi Salau, told the Tallahassee Democrat.

In a widely shared video, Salau appears at a Florida protest delivering powerful statements, and she had worked with local organizers in recent weeks, the New York Times reported.

“We [are] doing this for our brothers and sisters who got shot, but we [are] doing this for every Black person,” she said. “Because at the end of the day, I cannot take my fucking skin color off. I cannot mask this shit. Everywhere I fucking go, I am profiled whether I like it or not.”[img][/img]

Trish Brown, a founder of the Tallahassee Community Action Committee, described Salau as “a strong, young black female leader to me, and a powerful speaker” to the New York Times. “I feel like something was snatched away from me,” Brown said.

Re: Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau by Casan0va: 7:14pm On Jun 23, 2020
Too bad.

It's just sad that one can be vulnerable and another human being would decide to take advantage, that's too bad.

I don't know if she was born there or if she naturalized there but if she recently migrated without concrete plans or family there to support its sad.

I read the first report when she reported to the police that she was sexually assaulted, its sad, man's inhumanity to man.

Side note: I'm sick and goddamned tired of seeing that righteousness guy jumping on every post, it's downright annoying.
Guy, ogini? Everything dey alright at home?
Re: Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau by Banmeallday: 7:15pm On Jun 23, 2020
Unfortunately the people that have similar names to her cannot even protest for Sowore....irony
Re: Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau by Righteousness89(m): 7:16pm On Jun 23, 2020
Too bad..

Black kill black!

The World will keep Decieving itself, and keep getting the same consequences of Confusion, Wickedness, killings,etc.

From Africa to Asia to Europe to South America to Australia to the Middle East to Antarctica,
There is no Solution outside The KING of kings!
There is no Solution outside JESUS

Until we humble ourselves and come to our Father in Heaven, then we will see solutions..
Re: Man Charged With Murder Over Deaths Of 9-year-old Activist, Oluwatoyin Salau by FlordFlorez(m): 7:24pm On Jun 23, 2020
RIP.

(1)

Customs Destroys Indian Hemp Worth One Billion Naira / Troubling Article's Heading Targeting Nigerians As Fraudsters / Hushpuppi's Lawyer Says FBI 'kidnapped' Nigerian Instagrammer From Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.