Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,607 members, 7,816,508 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Python Selenium Webdriver Error - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Selenium Webdriver Error (2031 Views)

What Is Selenium Webdriver? / Selenium Automation Testing / How To Wait For Page To Load/ready In Selenium Webdriver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Python Selenium Webdriver Error by MakindeHassan: 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2020
Hello Pyhton Guru's,

Please I have an issue I need help on. I am trying to scrape a dynamic website using selenium as the normal requests module does not do the trick. I have pip installed selenium and imported but however for some reason I always get an error message related to the WebDriver linking with selenium. Both webdriver.firefox() and webdriver.Chrome() doesn't seem to work.

This is the code;

import selenium
import time
from selenium import webdriver

driver = webdriver.Chrome()

driver.get('https://web.whatsapp.com/')

this is the error message;

import selenium
import time

driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path=r"C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\play\ven\chromedriver.exe" )

Even when I declare the path the WebDriver is installed I still get same error.

Need help even on team viewer I wouldn't mind
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by Shepherdd(m): 10:25pm On Jun 25, 2020
You have to download a driver for the browser but let me give you a shortcut. Do

pip install webdriver-manager

Then in your Python file add

from webdriver_manager.chrome import ChromeDriverManager

driver = webdriver.Chrome(ChromeDriverManager().install())

This will fetch the latest driver binary for you.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by MakindeHassan: 10:31pm On Jun 25, 2020
Thanks.

just tried this and this was the error message;

[WDM] - Current google-chrome version is 83.0.4103
[WDM] - Get LATEST driver version for 83.0.4103
[WDM] - There is no [win32] chromedriver for browser 83.0.4103 in cache
[WDM] - Trying to download new driver from http://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/83.0.4103.39/chromedriver_win32.zip
[WDM] - Driver has been saved in cache [C:\Users\User\.wdm\drivers\chromedriver\win32\83.0.4103.39]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/Users/User/PycharmProjects/nairaplay/venv/scrape3.py", line 7, in <module>
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\chrome\webdriver.py", line 76, in __init__
RemoteWebDriver.__init__(
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 157, in __init__
self.start_session(capabilities, browser_profile)
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 252, in start_session
response = self.execute(Command.NEW_SESSION, parameters)
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 321, in execute
self.error_handler.check_response(response)
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\errorhandler.py", line 242, in check_response
raise exception_class(message, screen, stacktrace)
selenium.common.exceptions.WebDriverException: Message: unknown error: Failed to create Chrome process.

Shepherdd:
You have to download a driver for the browser but let me give you a shortcut. Do

pip install webdriver-manager

Then in your Python file add

This will fetch the latest driver binary for you.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by Shepherdd(m): 10:36pm On Jun 25, 2020
MakindeHassan:
Thanks.

just tried this and this was the error message;

[WDM] - There is no [win32] chromedriver for browser 83.0.4103 in cache
[WDM] - Trying to download new driver from http://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/83.0.4103.39/chromedriver_win32.zip
[WDM] - Driver has been saved in cache [C:\Users\User\.wdm\drivers\chromedriver\win32\83.0.4103.39]
File "C:/Users/User/PycharmProjects/nairaplay/venv/scrape3.py", line 7, in <module>

Did you restart pycharm after the install. If no please restart it.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by MakindeHassan: 10:50pm On Jun 25, 2020
Shepherdd:

Did you restart pycharm after the install. If no please restart it.

I just restarted pycharm and tried again, I also downloaded chromedriver_win32.zip and extracted it to C:\Users\User\.wdm\drivers\chromedriver\win32\83.0.4103.39

this is the error;

[WDM] - Driver [C:\Users\User\.wdm\drivers\chromedriver\win32\83.0.4103.39\chromedriver.exe] found in cache
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\chrome\webdriver.py", line 76, in __init__
RemoteWebDriver.__init__(
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 157, in __init__
self.start_session(capabilities, browser_profile)
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 252, in start_session
response = self.execute(Command.NEW_SESSION, parameters)
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 321, in execute
self.error_handler.check_response(response)
File "C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\errorhandler.py", line 242, in check_response
raise exception_class(message, screen, stacktrace)
selenium.common.exceptions.WebDriverException: Message: unknown error: Failed to create Chrome process.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by Shepherdd(m): 10:58pm On Jun 25, 2020
Ok go to this https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html?path=83.0.4103.39/ and download the one for Win32 then unzip the file to your working directory. Now add the path to

driver=webdriver.Chrome(executable_path="" )

Then add the directory to your path inside environment variables.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by MakindeHassan: 11:24pm On Jun 25, 2020
Shepherdd:
Ok go to this https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html?path=83.0.4103.39/ and download the one for Win32 then unzip the file to your working directory. Now add the path to

driver=webdriver.Chrome(executable_path="" )

Then add the directory to your path inside environment variables.

thank you for being helpful and im sorry im a novice at this but this is the new code after downloading with the link you sent and extracting to path

import selenium
import time

driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path=r'C:\Users\User\.wdm\drivers\chromedriver\win32\chromedriver.exe')

This is the error message;

Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by Shepherdd(m): 12:27am On Jun 26, 2020
MakindeHassan:

thank you for being helpful and im sorry im a novice at this but this is the new code after downloading with the link you sent and extracting to path

import selenium
import time

driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path=r'C:\Users\User\.wdm\drivers\chromedriver\win32\chromedriver.exe')

Ok try

from selenium.webdriver.chrome.options import Options

chrome_options = Options()
chrome_options.add_argument('--headless')
chrome_options.add_argument('--no-sandbox')
chrome_options.add_argument('--disable-dev-shm-usage')
driver = webdriver.Chrome('path to driver',chrome_options=chrome_options)
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by Shepherdd(m): 12:29am On Jun 26, 2020
MakindeHassan:

import selenium
import time

Or

options = Options()
options.binary_location = "C:\\path\\to\\chrome.exe"
options.add_argument("--start-maximized" )
options.add_argument("--no-sandbox" )
options.add_argument("--disable-dev-shm-usage" )
options.add_experimental_option("excludeSwitches", ["enable-automation"])
options.add_experimental_option('useAutomationExtension', False)
driver = webdriver.Chrome(options=options, executable_path=r'C:\path\to\chromedriver.exe')
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by MakindeHassan: 10:18am On Jun 26, 2020
Shepherdd:

Or

options = Options()

options.binary_location = "C:\\path\\to\\chrome.exe"
options.add_argument("--start-maximized" )
options.add_argument("--no-sandbox" )
options.add_argument("--disable-dev-shm-usage" )
options.add_experimental_option("excludeSwitches", ["enable-automation"])
options.add_experimental_option('useAutomationExtension', False)
driver = webdriver.Chrome(options=options, executable_path=r'C:\path\to\chromedriver.exe')

Ran the second code and got

(unknown error: DevToolsActivePort file doesn't exist)
(The process started from chrome location C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\selenium\webdriver\chrome\chromedriver.exe is no longer running, so ChromeDriver is assuming that Chrome has crashed.)
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by Shepherdd(m): 10:24am On Jun 26, 2020
MakindeHassan:

Ran the second code and got

(unknown error: DevToolsActivePort file doesn't exist)
(The process started from chrome location C:\Users\User\PycharmProjects\nairaplay\venv\selenium\webdriver\chrome\chromedriver.exe is no longer running, so ChromeDriver is assuming that Chrome has crashed.)

Why not update chrome and see if the issue persists. You will also need to download the latest chrome driver too.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by javaRookie: 8:31am On Jun 28, 2020
Update your chrome and download a compatible chrome driver for it. Place this chrome driver on the folder you installed Python.
It should work.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by MakindeHassan: 10:19am On Jul 03, 2020
javaRookie:
Update your chrome and download a compatible chrome driver for it. Place this chrome driver on the folder you installed Python.
It should work.

Thank you for your support and time, I really appreciate. I downloaded the professional version of Pycharm and it worked out so I suspect the free version of Pycharm is limited to certain functions.
Re: Python Selenium Webdriver Error by myles16(m): 3:21am On Jul 04, 2020
That's why I've multiple editors and IDE, I noticed selenium doesn't work on my pycharm too but it works on VScode.

Try downloading wing IDE, VScode, jupyter notebook and pycharm...cause some codes run on some IDEs and editors and won't run on some, and next time just create a variable named PATH and copy the Chromedriver or Firefox driver path, paste and quote it, then you call your path so as to get the site you want to scrape or visit

(1) (Reply)

Hi, Can Anyone Teach Me Visual Basic 6.0 / How Do I Disable The Cancel Button On The Top Corner Of Forms In C#? / I Beg You In The Name Of God Help Me Out Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.